Options

Simple GPS maps for bike

Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

I was out on the bike today in the sunshine cross training. Got a bit lost, thinking a handlebar mounted GPS satnav would be useful. Anyone any recommendations?

I just want the very basic maps, where I could input my route before I set out then follow the directions on screen. I've had a quick google and the Garmin Edge 520 looks good but read some reviews that say the maps can be basic and to be honest there's a lot of functionality on it that I wouldn't use.

Or is there a decent phone app out there?

Comments

• Options
    Unless you're new to the area - do you need GPS on the bike ? Presumably you run around there too so you should know at least some of the area ?

If I get really lost - Google Maps on a smart phone lets you save an area to memory so you don't even need a connection to see where you are. You can't plot a route home without connection but at least you know which way to go,
  • Options
    Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

I cycle much further from home than I run. I have google maps on my phone it does help when I take wrong turns but it would be good not to take wrong turns and end up a mile or so in the wrong direction before I realise image

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

I think you can do what you want with Google Maps...in a browser (easier on a desktop than a phone to set up) you can set a route with many waypoints, then save web address, send it to your phone, and start following. Of course it depends what your phone battery is like...

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Garmin edge touring. 

Not cheap, but i understand it's pretty much standard sat nav.

• Options
    kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭

I use a Garmin Edge 500, so a couple of versions older than the 520, and the course functions are absolutely fine for following a pre-planned route. It doesn't actually hold any maps, so you couldn't switch it on in the middle of nowhere and expect it to be helpful in finding your way out, but if you want to plot a route in advance, upload it to the device, and have a breadcrumb trail on screen to follow, then it's ideal. The cheaper Edge 200 has similar functionality (see video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9NQNcdtxZU to see it in action). One tip I've found helpful is that ridewithgps.com will add waymarkers to routes where you need to make a turn, so you get some indication of when there's a junction coming up. Other route plotting sites may do this as well now, but taht was the only one that I could find when I started using it. You can manually add further markers for summits of climbs etc if you want to.

• Options
    I've been cycling for 30 years plus now and never had the need for GPS mapping on the bike. Getting lost is part of the fun - and you'll save hundreds on technology. Going a mile the wrong way is only a couple of minutes effort on the bike anyway.

Enjoy the discovery !