Pain on outside of foot after marathon

Hi everyone,

I ran the Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday finishing in 4:16. I was on for a sub 4 hour run until the last 5 miles or so when my right leg just stopped working. My hip had been getting steadily more painful as I ran and eventually caused me to have to stop running and start running/walking. Once I finished the race my hip was fine but the outside of my foot became very painful and it is still the case 3 days on. I can walk on it but it hurts quite a bit when I put weight on it. 

I have attached a picture showing where it hurts (within the black lines), the hatched area is where it hurts the most. Is this a common injury, any advice on what it could be? I have called the doctor but as it is deemed a non-urgent issue I have to wait a week until the next appointment so would be good to know if there is anything I can do in the next week or so.

/members/images/929865/Gallery/IMG_3118.JPG

Comments

• What you can do in the next week or so: strange as it may seem, REST! Minimise walking; even use a stick/crutch to take weight off that foot/leg.

Could be your peroneal tendon attachment. Worth checking if you have a painful muscle area up towards your knee as well (prod it).

• Yeah I'm planning to rest, was meant to have a race on Sunday but that won't be happening now! Luckily I have a week off work too which will be ideal rest.

Well as I was running in the marathon I was getting the odd twinge of pain from my knee. I've also just prodded along the right hand side of my lower leg and approx 2 inches below the knee is a tender sore spot.
  • Yes, that sounds like your peroneals are not happy. You can massage the muscular part below the knee - use a massage stick if you have one, otherwise massage by hand with a little oil (baby oil is fine if you can find one that smells okay) - just rub upwards, 20 or 30 times, and repeat morning, evening and one of twice . Doing so might loosen the muscle and stop the attachment on the foot from hurting (based on my own previous experience). Good luck!

• I'd agree with Debra, in suggesting that you've most likely aggravated your peroneal tendon.  From the picture you've provided, it seems as though there's also some bruising and swelling, which isn't surprising due to the fact the tendon will no doubt be inflamed.

Again, as stated by Debra, try and keep off your feet as much as possible during the next week, allowing the tendon an opportunity to rest, while regularly elevating and icing the affected areas, to help reduce any inflammation. 

Given the route that the peroneal takes (on the lateral side of the leg), the discomfort in the areas mentioned is most probably attributed to inflammation of the tendon at its respective insertion points. 

Inflammation of the peroneal tendon is a common injury, often occurring as a result of over-use/insufficient rest.  The inflammation should subside within a few weeks, provided no load bearing activity (such as running) is performed. Instead, opt for activities such as swimming and cycling to maintain cardiovascular fitness, while massaging the affected areas once the inflammation subsides sufficiently. 

• I seem to have developed a similar issue. I ran a marathon in September and every run since (albeit not many!) my left ankle area seems to take about half a mile to warm up and reduce in pain.

I've had trouble in the mornings with soreness that subsides once i've taken a few steps - this isn't happening now but I seem to have swelling after any type of activity. Any suggestions for recovery apart from the rest, ice and elevation? 

• Massage - the muscle further up the lower leg, not the tendon attachment area - see my post above. Good luck!