Comrades 2017

Comments

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Seren, your running number will probably obliterate the pirate logo. If in doubt ask info@comrades.com, but here are the rules:-

RUNNING KIT, SPONSORSHIP & ADVERTISING

Runners are encouraged to wear club colours officially registered with their provincial bodies (however this is not compulsory), or unbranded running kits (ASA Rule 13.1). In the event of a team competition, athletes must wear their club colours as officially registered with their provincial bodies. THE TWO OFFICIAL 2017 COMRADES MARATHON RACE NUMBERS MUST BE WORN ON THE FRONT AND BACK OF YOUR UPPER BODY GARMENT THROUGHOUT THE RACE, AND NOT ON YOUR RUNNING SHORTS, AS THIS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.

The sponsored cap which, which you will receive in your runner's goodie bag, is the PREFERRED (but not compulsory) branded headgear permitted on race day. Runners must familiarize themselves with and abide by the advertising rules as per the IAAF and ASA Rulebooks. (IAAF Rule 143 and ASA Rule 13.1 and advertising regulations.) These provisions apply for the duration of the race including warming up, all race ceremonies and official press conference. Under no circumstances may a runner display a political slogan in any matter or form. (IAAF Rule 2(a)). 

The above text and tons of other stuff are posted here: http://www.comrades.com/marathoncentre/race-information

• I might email them ... or take that and my running vest  and ask them there.....that said Im not sure how comfortable my running vest is over marathon distance  :)
    They might think the words ISLWYN across my chest with a dragoin is politaical  :)

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.  Leave on Tuesday for Morocco, go into he desert on Friday and the race start Sunday.  So 10 days to get this hip thing sorted.  I am confident.
  • Have a fantastic time Dannirr - you'll be great! 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    JAR - Brilliant news on your 9.18 being officially in the results now :)

Great running as ever by loads of people and hopefully the small niggles you can sort now.

I listened to the podcast this monday. Excellent as ever. The main thing was, sort out niggles now and under no circumstances chance a higher seeding pen for Comrades - its not worth it to save a couple of minutes at the start.

I read the email regarding the buses to be the same. Last year i am sure you could but tickets for supporters both ways. Look forward to hearing any updates from anyone.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Things ain't looking good; just been taking a couple of painkillers so I sleep OK; so I can track my symptoms during the day in the hope that I would shake this thing, but that hasn't happened yet. Odds are I'll give Manchester a miss. That'll leave qualification at either Two Oceans, or, if I don't make the grade there I'll pitch up at Milton Keynes on 1st May; Blackpool is closer, but a week earlier and only a week after 2O, and I was in no state to run long a week after Wexham... I'm as worried as a very worried person :( seem to have painted myself into quite a tight corner.

Hope everyone else is improving, recovering and qualifying!

• Lowrez - really sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Don't blame you for being worried. Fingers crossed you'll sort it all out one way or another
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Lowez, sorry to hear of your problem's persistence.  So, that's you and me both rather worried about a qualifier. :/  I have no injuries at the moment (hope that lasts) but as you may recall I've only been back to running for just under 7 weeks resulting in a huge fitness deficit and frequently feeling very fatigued after a 'longish run' (that means a mere 18 or 20k!).

I've decided to taper a bit for Boston over the next two weeks, in the hope of gaining enough rest and strength to manage a sub 5.  All very well, but even if that works it doesn't leave me with ideal build up towards Comrades.
    However, onwards and upwards!
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks both, I've just splashed out on MK as today was the last for them posting out numbers etc. Worked out I can get an early train from Chester on the day and still make the 10am start; so it'll be a nice training run if I ace it on the Cape of Good Hope; I also needed a substitute for Manchester for the charity commitments I've gathered so far.

Terry, I think tapering is the best approach, despite my antics I have always erred on the side of caution and reached start lines fully rested, its amazing what reserves you can tap into if you are not burned out. All the best for Boston!

• Lowrez, that's rubbish that things aren't quite clicking at the moment. If you do decide to run tomorrow take it easy and if you decide on caution there is still plenty of time

Terry, you've made steady progress on those 7 weeks!
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Sorry to hear that Lowrez - hope you get yourself sorted.

So, was anyone in here running in central London this morning? Spotted a bloke in a blue long-sleeved Comrades top running over Tower Bridge at about 9am :)
  • Had a lovely morning pushing my 15month niece around platts fields parkrun in a running buggy!  

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow, training or racing! 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks RR. I talked to Heisenberg this afternoon and he made me the purest blue crystal pseudoephedrine I've ever seen, he said it was the special mix with paracetamol that gave it the unique translucent hue. He assured me that, as long as I don't have any heart conditions, running with it in my system would be fine (although if I win the event I might get disqualified and banned from further races for some time). I've only been on it for a couple of hours and its not having much of an effect actually but I can take another hit in two more. My main problem is my teeth jangle with pain every step I take and my brain grates against the inside of my skull causing similar discomfort. He reckoned I should pump up the fluids too; so I'm having another cup of tea.

I'm thinking of starting and seeing how it evolves; if I end up wide of the mark I can always retire. I'll actually trot past my parked-up car at mile 12 - must resist the temptation to give in there if I'm on target for a finish! The Internet can convince you of anything, but, a general rule appears to be "symptoms above the neck; OK to run; below; give it a miss". Whilst my ribcage aches a bit from sneezing and I wheeze out a cough once in a while due to being generally congested I'm not counting those as proper symptoms. There's a lot of reflection on "getting out there and blowing everything away"; I'm a tad tired of resting actually; it doesn't seem to be achieving anything and if I can sneak a sub5 then its pressure off.

Nicely run Mr.Z! Good luck to all tomorrow!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone racing tomorrow. Hope it goes well, lowrez. 

I'm resting from running this week to allow a sore shin to heal. It seems to be improving and I can hop on it, so hopefully I can start running again soon. Don't want to have to miss Boston!
  • Well good luck to you too tomorrow Lowrez. 4h59 is more than enough. Funnily earlier in the year I had a hacking cough and cold. Definitely below the neck yet when I ran I was absolutely fine. Mind you when I got home in the warm I coughed my guts up for hours. Strange
  • Becca - good luck with the shin. When's Boston?

Am resting up too for next weeks trail marathon. Mind you I've done nothing today and I'm so tired :/
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Boston is in two weeks - Easter Monday, so hopefully it will be OK. 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Right, this blue stuff doesn't seem to kill any pain at all, but it does seem to make sinuses feel like a pack of rats are running around in them; strangely therapeutic; so I have tried an ibuprofen on top and I it feels ethereally smooth man, so this is the concoction for me tomorrow... must fill in the back of me number now.

Good luck for Boston (USA) soon Becca! Hopping reminds me of Michael Palin's Ripping Yarns and the hopping race. Hope the shin settles.

• Crikey Lowrez - is this concoction or yours going to get you in in the top 10  :):):)
  • Good luck everyone racing tomorrow!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I remember ages ago somebody posting about having seen a mystery concoction being marketed to Comrades runners by some chemist in South Africa.  You didn't stump up for a vial of this did you lowrez?
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I hope this isn't the start of a slide into a drug fuelled rampage of runs for me; its a dangerous line to cross. Reading up on the pros and cons before; I couldn't really find anything that commented on what to take for a headache before a run. The literature is all about long term use and how placebo based studies illustrate painkillers have no real impact on painful muscles or recovery so there is no point taking them, in fact kidney damage can ensue if you habitually consume them. Chemist did say though that as long as I felt OK a brief hit of this over the counter stuff should be OK, but to pack in if I got dizzy etc.

Don't do drugs kids!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Oops I did it again; 5:10 by my watch. Don't think I could have run it any better; I just died in the final 6 miles.

Oh well onward to the next events...

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, I'm glad that at least you are not reporting any injuries (and hopefully no kidneys overload!). Roll on MK and good prep for it. Write Manchester off to good training - you'll smash it in MK.  (I might be there too if I fail in Boston).

I had my best 21k of the year this morning - for the first time not feeling super fatigued :).  I ascribe that to complete rest days on both Friday and Saturday and think it proves what I suspected - that I've been trying to do marginally too much without enough recovery time.

I'll now embark on some progressive taper over the next two weeks' lead up to Boston, in the hope of building enough strength for a qualifier.
  • lowrez, sympathies.

Terry: glad you had a good run today.

I'm not 100% recovered yet from last Sunday from last Sunday - I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a bit disappointed. Left home at 08.15 and ran to the club to marshal for the Croydon Half Marathon, so stood around for three hours or so, then ran just over 18 miles, half on trail, half on road. getting very tired towards the end - but when some random stranger carrying a bag of shopping or something 'raced' me along the side of the sports fields about a mile from home I summoned up some energy and ran at 8:30/mile for that stretch - just shows how much fatigue is in the mind rather than the legs! I'm away at a conference Thursday to Sunday and won't get any long runs in - I'll try to get up early enough to run for an hour each of Fri/Sat/Sun and might manage a semi-long on the Sunday depending what time I get home.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Saw a couple of comrades out on the route - a woman who appeared to have a 70/80 commemorative type patch on the shoulder of her shirt and a giant of a bloke who came in right after I did but who had qualified at another event.

At least the run appears to have sorted my man flu; I continued to take the medication on course but have ceased since I finished. It didn't tone down my nagging hamstring but I can't say that had anything to do with my tardiness. I have let that dig me into this hole I think. I need to get out on more training runs and ignore it. Got a massage booked for Tuesday after which I plan to hit the road again.

Terry, it would be super to meet you at MK, but I really hope it doesn't come to that! At OMTOM I'll have a 12 minute per mile average to play with; I suppose the problem is going to be I can't currently sustain an 11:30 average over 26, and, there is a big climb towards the end of OMTOM.

Anyone know the rules about having a non-bearded passport photo, but, stumping up at customs with several days of growth? Whilst ill I did not shave and am thinking of not raising the blade again until I qualify (this could be the start of a permanent Strange and Weird) but if I won't make it out of the country or into SA because of the confusion then I better mow it.

Good work on your routine Terry, got everything crossed for Boston :)

You are putting in some great miles Debra :)

• lowrez, kind of you to say so - it doesn't feel like it. With a few days off for a touch of piriformis syndrome early in March, and four days (including Sunday long run) lost to the 'orrible norovirus, March was somewhat inconsistent and now the conference is going to semi-scupper the first week in April. And I've not got out to the SDW at for some decent runnable hills even once so far. I know I've done 50-milers before, but not since 2013, and I'm worrying about the hills and the heat - I don't feel like my training is adequate for either of those.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Are you targeting more than "just" a finish Debra? Despite your interruptions you have put in a substantial amount of mileage. Hills you can add if you want. The heat you have to manage on the day. As soon as I feel it creeping up on me I start spraying water on and stealing ice to pop under my cap. I've never tried to acclimatise to it in the UK apart from being a mad dog and English man, if any noon day sun hits at the weekends.
  • lowrez, I'm rather hoping, if not nursing any injuries, for between 10 and 11 hours - my three road marathons (not including London when I stress-fractured) have been run in 3:48, 3:52 and 3:59; I ran NDW50 in 2012 in 9:53 (11.51/mile overall including refueling stops) and ran 35.5 miles a week ago (on a course that was a lot flatter!) in 5:58:58 giving an overall pace of 10.05 (running pace was about 9.30 - the rest was stopping at the aid station for food and water, plus once to get something out of my shoe). Realistic?

Thank you for the on-the-day cooling suggestions, as I don't think I'll get much chance for acclimatising to heat in the next couple of months.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Debra, 10 to 11 hrs is very reasonable if you can currently run a sub 4:30 marathon. Most (95% ish) of the field used to finish sub 11 hrs back when the qualifier used to be 4:30, pre Y2000. I even did a number of sub 10's off 4:00 to 4:15 qualifiers. My only sub 9 (8:50) was off about a 3:40 qualifier.  I was a lot younger then. :)