Comrades 2017

Comments

• I did a 15-minute jog on grass yesterday - my longest so far post stress fracture. Felt fine - the only bad part was having to slow to a walk after my 15 minutes was up. So that's me well on the way to qualifying...

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Superb Debra.  Glad its going well

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Well done Debra. Before you know it, it will be January and getting that qualifying marathon in the bag.image

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Excellent, Debra.  2017 is your year. 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Good to see that you are on the mend Debra image

Triple T! Welcome back! image Hope you stay injury free and healthy from here on in. Thanks for that write up - still got a massive smile on my face.

Anyone seen any personal videos yet? Don't we usually get clips of us gliding through each cut-off-point?

• So my training is building up slowly at the moment. Hoping to be at 30-32km marker by the end of this week (Total for the week) so i can start the Asics sub 4 hour plan a week or 2 late but should still be able to achieve my goal hopefully. Had a look at the Sub 4:30 but would rather aim and push myself for sub 4 at Soweto and fail, than come home comfortably and feel i could have pushed harder for my qualifier. Next years races before comrades are for that. 

As for my running at the moment, i am in a really good place right now. My speed has increase to the extent that my pace has dropped by a min for the same and even slightly lower Hr output. 

For those whom have stated again, hope your training is going well.

• After little  running being g done I had z marathon yesterday as the last day of the long course weekend at tenby....worried about my right calf but started slowly....thought for a moment about going for the sub 5 required but it was Jilly and hot and my legs were trashed so settled for an easy run walk for a 5:27 finish.... Abingdon  will be my qualifying race with Llanelli in April as my attempt to get a faster one if training getx going again

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Its too early yet to log a qualifier seren nos, think its sometime in August through to beginning of May - the Comrades website is still in cut-back form celebrating this year's success and has not yet published the actual qualifying period for 2017. Well done in being in marathon distance conquering form irrespective of the time. I'm running a 130 mile ultra at the end of August and I managed my longest run since Comrades, a 15 miler, last Sunday - somehow I never seem to ace the recommended training plan, will be punching up to 20 this weekend. Nice going too triple T! image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well, then is it too early to start the qualifying marathon list?

If not, put me down for the California International Marathon Dec 3rd.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Ooo a list you say (my best guess at the expected qualification period - what am I doing - I have nothing booked, nothing planned - but I can't stop myself?):-

28Aug Qualification Opens
    04Dec California International (M) Dannirr
    01May Qualification Closes
    04June Comrades

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

He returned in a scene from Crocodile Dundee; that's not a list, this is a list...

28Aug Qualification Opens
    23Oct Abingdon (M) seren nos, jelly bean, Southern Snail (if a place becomes available)
    06Nov
    Soweto (M) Time To Tri
    27Nov
    La Rochelle (M) jelly bean
    04Dec
    California International (M) Dannirr
    16Apr Llanelli (M) seren nos

04June Comrades

• Seen - Well done on your long course weekend

Lowrez - Amazing doing a 130 miler. After this mornings very slow 12 I can't even imagine doing 56image

Anyway, I have a place at Abingdon so will definitely be doing that as my qualifier

28Aug Qualification Opens
    23Oct Abingdon (M) seren nos, jelly bean, Southern Snail 
    06Nov
     Soweto (M) Time To Tri
    27Nov
     La Rochelle (M) jelly bean
    04Dec
     California International (M) Dannirr
    16Apr Llanelli (M) seren nos

04June Comrades

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Yikes!  A list already and already I have managed to mess it up.

In contrast to previous years I'm going to do limit the number of marathons that I do after 1 January in the build up to Comrades and I will spread them out a bit more.  I have a few before 1 January but hopefully the qualifier will be Chicago.  Hoping to get into Boston when it opens, as I have a BQ-5.

28Aug Qualification Opens

9Oct Chicago (M) becca7

06Nov Soweto (M) Time To Tri
    27Nov
     La Rochelle (M) jelly bean
    04Dec
     California International (M) Dannirr

04Dec  Malaga (M) Becca7

09Jan Funchal (M) Becca7

26Mar Canalathon 50km Becca7

04June Comrades

Race to the Stones, 100km, for me tomorrow but Lowrez's 130 rather puts that in the shade.

• I'm doing a parkrun tomorrow...some more parkrun tourism... image

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Cool a list is starting already. The race seems much closer nowimage

I'm useless at updating so please put me down for 2nd October, Kielder Marathon.

Becca - good luck tomorrow at the stones. Will be interested how you get on with the route (how well signposted) and how easy the course is underfoot. I am running the entire length on the august bank holiday so any help is good help. I did a reccy the other week and have to say the signposts do look amazing, hope its like that all the way. Fingers crossed the weather is on your side as well.image

• 28Aug Qualification Opens

02Oct Kielder (M) marty 74
    09Oct Chicago (M) becca7
    06Nov Soweto (M) Time To Tri
    27Nov La Rochelle (M) jelly bean
    04Dec California International (M) Dannirr
    04Dec  Malaga (M) Becca7
    09Jan Funchal (M) Becca7
    26Mar Canalathon 50km Becca7
    04June Comrades

• Great day out at Race to the Stones on Saturday. Sunnier than forecast (I have ridiculous tan lines and brown knees). Really beautiful scenery - I recommend running the Ridgeway to anyone who has the chance.  Caught up with Becca along the way and we ran the last 27 miles together - it was great to have the company, especially after it got dark. We were channelling Comrades - the aid station at mile 56 became 'Sahara Kingsmead Stadium' image.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well done RR and Becca image.  

• Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Nice to see some familiar faces. I've caught up and agree with those comments. My last effort was 2012 and my youngest who was born shortly after I landed back is now 4!!

Have booked the time off work, and just waiting for a couple of things to drop into place before booking hotel and flights. My low number got reallocated last year so will have a new one!!

The draw of the race has me again and have some unfinished business with the uprun after food poisoning first time round. Number 3 for me.

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you all

Ode.

PS Well done RR and Becca (other half ran with friends in just over 20hours). Very impressed with the organisation.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Nice one Ode. Welcome back.

And brilliant RR and Becca. Thats good warm weather training for n ext year then?image

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Race to the Stones was well marked and the organisation was excellent. Lovely views as well. Not one that I would do again, as I am a poor off-road runner, as I don't pick my feet up much, and I hate sharing trails with people running close behind, as I tend to fall over! The Ridgeway was rock hard so my ankles were a bit jarred at the end. Ran a 5 mile race yesterday with no problems but kept the pace comfortable.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I asked the Comrades peeps about personal videos this year, I had footage through every check-point last year etc... there are none this year! Still chatting to them to find out if it was by design or accident.

How is everyone doing training this past couple of weeks? I am not doing well at all... should be easy clocking 20 milers at the weekends, I'm getting through 10 OK, although it has been rather hot and humid both these past Sundays here... have totally slumped to an enforced walk around 15 or so and yomped home via a shortcut only clocking up 18.5 on both occasions, simply not worth slogging out those final 2 miles, no benefit at all from walking in! Recovery has been fine. Think I'll drop to 16 this Sunday and slow it down further.

• Hey Lowrez,  I'm not feeling like I'm back to normal yet.  I've been cycling and doing some gym to keep myself active plus the pollen season this year really messed me up.   Not in love with running again yet, hoping two weeks in French countryside in the heat and hills will get my head and body back into shape. 

Comrades are still keeping me on hold wrt recognising my results.....image

• Lowrez - I'm amazed you can do as much after 2 months. Are you training for something else. 20 miles is a long way if notimage 

At the moment I can't imagine running a marathon, never mind more. And all those hills and heat.image

Justanothrrnr - Have a fab holiday and relax. I'm sure the love will be back afterwards

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Interesting  - Coach Parry says Comrades will move to the 2nd weekend of June from 2018 onwards.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Aha! Dannirr - that will mean I can continue my cache of splendid Liverpool Rock n Roll medals - it was same day as Comrades this year. So, final long run of the campaign can be a nice slow 26 a fortnight before Comrades 2018? Hmm, maybe still a bit daft? Half?

SS I am trying to elevate back up to something reasonable to get me through LLCR130 August bank holiday weekend - 127.2 miles from Liverpool to Leeds along the canal - I am being a bit daft on those 20s though - although by no means elite pace I rattle off some sub 11 minute miles on the outward 10 feeling pretty good - which is a tad fast for me even on a good day and then I suffer on the return 10. On the big day I am looking at 13s steady all the way. I was probably a bit daft entering this one so soon after Comrades too - but when I saw it advertised my jaw just dropped and I started to drool, couldn't stop myself entering image. Irrespective of form I am really looking forward to it. There is a 42 hour cut-off limit which is a staggeringly generous 19m48s per mile average. I'd like to break 29 hours though, my support crew have money on 27 hours - are they dafter than me? 

JAR - got everything crossed for recognition of your Comrades run. Unfortunately there will be zero video from out on the course this year, just had confirmation that they did not renew the video shoot contract. Have a great break in France!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Seems a bit close lowrez, although there are some who run a marathon 2 weeks out.

The main consequence for me will be that I can probably have a go at 100% attendance in the county road race league, something that I had written off as only to be attempted once my Comrades days were behind me.

What sort of dafty would enter an ultra so soon after Comrades, lowrez? image At least mine was only about half the distance of yours.  Good luck for it.

JAR- good luck.  

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

The new date will mean you can only do either Comrades or Western States - not both...

It opens up lots of things in the second half of May though - like Passatore 100...