Dublin Marathon

Comments

• The website 'update' just seems to have made everyone's chip times unavailable. A bit like Mao Tse Tung's approach to equality...
  • Morning all - got back last night (late due to BMIbaby!!) but chuffed with 2.56.45 (watch time and pb by 30mins) - official time on results is not correct but not too bothered as sub 3 achieved. Had a great race and was pleased to see Toucan (great result by the way) and then managed to hook up with Pseudo at 4 miles. He paced us brilliantly - 13 miles in 1.27.32 and then after I saw my parents at 23 I kicked and managed a quick finish (6.20 pace) and finished strongly. Pseudo had a stitch but came in in 2.58 so both really pleased. Enjoyed the race but two negatives were the non visible mile markers and the Gatorade cups - impossible to drink from them without making a terrible mess!! A bit disappointed with official results - is there an actual list of names with position?
    Well done to everyone - great weekend.
  • Thanks PH - shame its my chip time and not the official stated one!
  • Still it was a good weekend and didn't we all do well. Great to meet some chums beforehand.

My plans for the rest of the winter are to lose a stone in wieght in preparation for next years FLM (hopefully) and certainly for Anglesea in the autumn.
  • I downloaded the results and manipulated them in Excel before they were removed. My file is now 4.5Mb - did anyone else save the text version?

Andre - You placed 174 overall and 112 in category. You were recorded as crossing the line after 27 seconds, making your first half 1.27.53 and your final chip time was 2.56.46. Your overall placing was 167th based on chip time and you overtook 68 people in the second half of the race (net).
  • your chip time is the real time
    end of story
  • lotc - thanks for the information, could you possibly e-mail the spreadsheet?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Back at work today (for a rest, although I've got mountains of work to do).

Great weekend in a fantastic city and despite not enough sleep, hitting the alcohol pre race and eating no carbs on the Sunday night still managed my best marathon time this year.
    My actual finish time was 4.51.33, but I too have not had a recorded chip time on the results, hopefully it may be on the certificates. Also did my most evenly split marathon this year, 2.24 for 1st half 2.27 for the 2nd half. I ran hard in the last mile and over took 104 peeps in that mile. I think if I had prepared better I would have done a PB, but I'm pleased anyway.

Arrived home yesterday afternoon, took my running group out for a 4 mile run, have a niggle at the back of my knee, but have run 5 miles this morning and it's getting better.

IW - sorry to hear you've picked up an injury, how are you now?

Ant - I guess you knew you were probably heading for an injury too, if it's that serious perhaps you ought to skip Snowdonia? (That's my sensible side talking).
  • Andre - yes, but you'll have to send me your e-mail address as I can't attach anything on the runners world mail application.
  • Andre Porritt .... That’s an extremely impressive improvement in anybodies book. Regarding mile markers - they were admittedly on the small side however, you missed them cos you were flying ....I only missed 3 mile markers but of course I had more time to scan the scenery and look for them.

• EEyin - thanks for the compliment! Must admit that running with Pseudo was great as he spotted all the markers, I didn't concentrate as much on them as he did. Missing marker 25 was a little demoralising as I thought 24 miles would never end!!! It was great hearing the loud speaker getting louder and louder - the end was close!
  • grrrrrrrrrrrrrr - the chip thing - how annoying!

Barry/Caz - I am so sorry I didn't meet you - I had Dawson Street somehow stuck in my head as our meeting point and was waiting there for ages! Just as well you didn't meet me though as I did 3.56 - totally hit the wall at around mile 18 and just couldn't come back from it. Definitely didn't do enough long runs.

Boo hoo.
  • A fantastic race. Great atmosphere and the weather was not too bad. A bit disapointed with the final times. I would have been under 4.30 for the first time. (4.28)
    Preparation was not great as my father had an aortic aneurism 2 weeks ago. So sleeping on hospital chairs in Cork did not help the ciculation too much. However, all is well as he is on the mend. A big thanks to the surgeon and nurses who saved his life...
    Looking forward to London..
  • lotc The chip time debacle is slightly irritating as my official time is almost 5mins more than my watch time. I would very much appreciate if you could e-mail your spread sheet to iantcooper@aol.com
  • Registered for this race last March - its my home town. Target - 6 hours. Did my first marathon in Edinburgh as a preparation race. That took 6hrs 46mins and every step was hell. So, really chuffed on Monday when I crossed that line at around 5hrs 53mins (according to my running partners not so accurate watch). But we didn't need accurate watches cos we had chips on our shoes? And the website says 6hrs 38secs???????? I didn't cross the start line for about eight minutes cos I knew I wasn't fast so I wasn't at the front. And what do I learn from this? Go to the front in future? Buy a good watch? A bit too annoyed at the moment to take a lesson from it.
    But congrats to Runners World, I spent last night and this morning looking for information on Irish messages boards about the fiasco of the results - then remembered I had found the Silverstone Half Marathon results last March through here and hey presto - it came up trumps again. At least I now know why the web results are wrong. No news from Dublin City Marathon website despite emailing every address on their website last night at half past midnight.
    Flew back to Oxford this morning at 6:30am (Ryanair got me here 15 mins early) and am now reading the messages with some relief.
    Wore my Finisher t-shirt home on the plane.
    My gripes - no Gatorade at miles 6 and 12 by the time I got there; the t-shirt is made for a male frame so its either tight over the bust or flapping around the shoulders; the mile markers were in some colour that just made them disappear into the background and sometimes they were on the left and sometimes they were on the right so you could easily miss them.
    My positives - loved the kids collecting the empty waterbottles and rubbish; lots of spectators doling out energisers by the time I got to 20+; nice flat course (after Edinburgh ;-); lovely to run around hometown after 12 years living away.
    One blistered toe and no aching muscles which kind of makes me think I could have done faster but delighted to have broken the 6 hour marker.
    Now looking for the next run,
    D
  • well done deirdre
    I will definitely be doing this one again
  • Seconded! Well done deirdre!
  • J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    All those who are annoyed by the chip timing debacle: please e-mail, write to or ring the people responsible (the addresses are on the website), letting them know what you think and suggesting they correct the problems.

My main gripe is that they cocked up the timing last year, and also failed to provide sufficient energy drink (it was Lucozade last year), with the result that those slower runners who were probably most in need of it didn't get any. This year they've done exactly the same.

The organisers need to know that people will stop coming back if they don't correct the problems. They know about them (I e-mailed them raising the issues last year, but didn't receive a reply). They are clearly just too complacent to do anything about it.

I enjoyed it, but this latest business with the timings makes me feel I won't be back.
  • maybe the chip timing thing will be sorted in a day or two?
  • LOTC- would you mind e mailing me your spreadsheet also please, my time was about 4 mins out.Sandyson@tinyworld.co.uk
    many thanks
    Brian
  • Had planned on the availability of Gatorade so when I got to the first station and found there was none left I was a little abusive to the young man behing the desk. On getting to the second station and they were also out I was seriously screwed, complained to anyone around - loudly. Spent the next two miles compiling a letter of complaint to Pepsico Ireland (have gripes about distribution in Dublin before race) will copy to race organisers (took mind off discomfort which was particularly bad at that point). I am a very slow runner getting home in 6.18 (chip time!!?) so was really taken aback when the blo*dy stuff wasn't available.

Only other rant would be that the kilometre markers were a joke.

I did enjoy it - honest!
  • J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    Brian S, you had a chip timing of 3:39:39 and were placed 1699th according to chip time, not 'official' (AKA 'wrong') time.
  • ahhhhhh
    dodo
    as a lifelong back marker, i always take my own energy drink---dont trust em now
    i have e mailed someone about the times
  • J2R
    many thanks,
    have just done a check on the Dublin results and now says 3.39.39 but 1744 place,
    how did you guess my name?
    Brian
  • Flip
    the real times are up

CANNOT have been my E mail, only sent it 5 minutes ago

my watch time was out by one second
  • Well done to all. My first marathon and finished despite my stomach doing somersaults from mile 12 to the end after I took a gel. Didn't have any reaction in training so not sure what happened.

Looks like the times have been updated (again). My latest time on the site is same as I clock myself.
  • J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    Elementary, my dear Watson! The combination of 'Brian S' and the 'sandyson' in the e-mail address led inexorably to one conclusion.
  • Well done Amo64 delighted to hear that you got your target, so now you are going to do lots more???

Really surprised at how quickly the stiffness is going - I was in a lot of pain during the race so expected to be crippled this week.
  • J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    j Dorgan, I know exactly what you mean. My guts began what felt like a long wash cycle at around 18 miles, going up to a 2000rpm spin by the end.