Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Dave, thanks for the link.
    Oh my, I looked awful at the end <g>
  • Hail Hail

Morning All

Dave you are just too quick off the mark with the info - well done!

How stupid did I look in that hat!!?? Still kept me warm though.

Cant be botherd reading through all the recent messages. Just popped in to say hello, and that my running has started again with a 10 on sat, and 13 on sun. Both fine and easy with no complaints. Now off to give blood after recovery of Dublin, so will drop in again soon!!

See ya!
  • My pictures are, as usual, terrible. Why do they always take your picture during the last mile of the marathon...geez... The 2 grey haired ladies behind me are having a good ole time though....lol....

Ran for the first time this morning. Only 1 mile to gym, 30 minutes of weights, then 1 mile back. Will do an easy run tomorrow morning. Knee hurt a bit Monday night after the race, but legs have felt great since Tuesday morning...:o)..didn't feel like a ran a marathon. Maybe I'm getting used to this silly running thing...hhhmmmmm...teehee
  • Glo - mine for once wasn't too bad!! Have now got one for my profile, yippeee!!
  • I'm still using a 3 year old photo... :-o ... guess I should get a new one....
  • toucan/baldy - Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt, Kandel, Roth, Moritzburg, Augsburg, Regensburg, Chiemsee, to name but a few, (all in Germany) are all dead flat courses. So's Rotterdam in Holland.
    Come and run Mannheim with me next May. Not a hill or slope worthy of the name.
  • Dantu - some forumites (at least 6) are doing Milan instead of Florance same day 28th November.

• Ironwolf, will look them up next year is getting busy, Conne/FLM, Belfast, Edinburgh, cardiff so far. Will try fit in another in on your island somewhere.

Got the shoes on again and ran like a wee lad, right up until i tried a final kick for home, must have left it in Dublin. Still didnt feel too sluggish. Here comes the XC season now - Lucky or what?????
  • Hi All,

First day back at work after my trip to Ireland - had a great time in Cork, Killarney and Dingle, even though the weather was pretty grotty! Failed to turn off the e-mail notification so had > 500 unread emails this morning, mostly from this thread!

There's been a lot to try and take in, but congrats to all who ran PBs and sorry to hear about problems like poor timing, injuries and gatorade running out! Also, shame I missed Gavin, PB2 and Annabelle at the start - I was looking out for everyone but perhaps I was a little far forward (I knew I was too near the front and in trouble when I suddenly seemed to be surrounded by the Africans 5 mins before the gun - time to drop back!)

Personally felt great in the run until 23 miles when my last gel didn't seem to agree with me and I got a nasty stitch, but as Andre has told you, managed to hang on and sneak under sub 3. It was a nice feeling when I turned the last corner and saw 2.58 on the clock!

Was great to run with you Andre - you certainly helped me a lot in coming through one or two bad patches. I agree we must run a 10 k or 1/2 together in the near future.

I'm having a couple of weeks of training to give my body a complete rest before building up again over the winter. My Paris entry is in....
  • First real run today since Dublin...it was great. Only 4 miles...started out slow and easy, and got some speed up by the half way point. Felt wonderful...no pains...no strains..... Life is good... ;o)

....I had a Bailey's last night too....in my new "free" Bailey's glass. Made it that much more special...lol
  • Did my first 4 yesterday Glo too.The run felt good and so relaxing but unfortunately my calf muscle and the bones in the top of my left foot were killing me afterwards.Ended up taking ibuprofen last night and then again this morning.Club night tonight and I want to do 6 so we'll see what that does.I can't quite understand it as it is the first run I've done since Dublin.Maybe thats it.It's shock!!
    RC not sure what times etc I will be at Suicide 6 as I am going with friends but look out for an Aldridge Running Club vest,or several.
  • Thats the first time I have managed to get a picture on my profile,or more honestly my 15 year old did.Don't look too bad considering I had just run 26.2 miles.Shortly after that photo I went grey according to my Mom,scared her to death!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Glo - pleased to hear you got the glass home safely.
  • Caz - I reckon there is probably a sub 3 inside you somewhere. I'd like to think the same of me also.
    We'll get together and beat Ant sometime in 2006 ;) Not sure when or where yet though.

Still not done any running after Dublin although I have now prepared for life in the sun by buying some fancy new sunglasses and am now itching to run in them but sadly my leg is still hurting from Dublin. Should be better buy the weekend though.

I'm also considering getting a couple of the pictures. I really quite like the one of me in the finishing straight and there is a certain charm to the one of me holding the medal.

• Morning all - enjoying this recovery period! It is amazing how much time you have in the evenings when not running for an hour or more!
    I thought I had finished the marathon strongly but my pictures tell a completely different story!!!!! I guess I thought I was running quick but it was more wishful thinking!! They do bring back some nice memories though.
    Paul - glad your holiday was good. You remember we both passed one of the Kenyan elite guys near the end (no.13) - I saw his splits - 66 mins at halfway!!! and then 1.58 for second half! He either had a bad injury, was pacing someone for the first half (why did he not just drop out if pacing?) or it was his first marathon and went out too quick (I doubt this very much) - just interesting to know what happened as 66 mins for a first half is amazing.
  • Barry - hey, lets not get all carried away now!! You have mail in response to your mail. Good to see you are still finding time to get on here. I was quite pleased with a couple of my photos too. This one here is me at about 25 miles (walk in the park eh!!) ;-)

Ant - Did you hear that? Barry is challenging you to a sub 3:00 in 2006 Ooooooh!!

Reading about your runs I am beginning to worry that I have done too much post Dublin!! I ended up doing a 50 mile week last week and have clocked 16 so far this week!! Don't mention the 'I' word!!
  • That's quite an impressive 'positive split' by the Kenyan Andre. It is a bit strange!
  • Paul - did you get my mail? I have some spreadsheets that you might find interesting, I can mail them to you but not through this site as files are too big.
  • That Kenyan (No. 13) was Charles Kiplagat. He won the Ballycotton 10 (10 miles) race in March in a time of 48.00 and I recall he won a half marathon around the same time. He would seem to be a top athlete who got it wrong or was injured in some way. Fair play to him for finishing but amazing to be able to say that you beat him - Well done to all who did.
  • I may be confused, but didn't one of the Kenyans fall badly, requiring medical assistance, but then decided to finish after being patched up?

My girlfiend informed me of this, although I was too slow to catch up a one-legged Kenyan.
  • Dave - I agree with you re finishing as it would have been so easy to pull out considering his pedigree - 48 mins for the 10 miler!!!! His half time during the race would win most races around my area. If he was injured I hope it was nothing serious.
  • Maybe he had the same thoughts as me - if I give up now, how am I going to get back?
  • Thanks for the results Andre. There seems to be something dodgy going on about my splits though, as it says I was 64 s slower than you for the first half, and there is no way I took 1.29.24 - we were a good minute faster than that. Seems they've just taken my final time and halved it!

Spare a thought for Richard Dilworth who finished in 3.00.01!

Cheers for the info Dave - that'll be the only time I finish ahead of someone of such class!
  • Did no mileage last week at all...complete rest and have started with 2 8 milers this week

I am very seriously considering running the Leicester Marathon on the 21st Nov, which is supposed to be a bit of a pig (hilly), As its hilly I won't be trying to pb it , just to do it. I figure that with a couple of weeks training I can use the fitness I had for dublin to do this one as well.....any other takers ?

I opened my new Runners World Magazine this morning to find that I'm in it (not a lot I admit but I am there). On page 6 and better on page 85.....there is a guy at the front - no 8172. I am wearing pale blue just to the right of him (with an open mouth)....not much I know , but I am there
  • Twin dad - Claim to fame eh!! The best I've done is to have one of my postings printed!! Although I have entered the FLM competition on pg104. As for a hilly marathon, that's not the Everades one is it? Cos I tell you, they're not joking when they say hilly. I did the half last year and that was bad enough!! Good luck, you'll need it!! Come and do Suicide 6 instead, that should be a laugh (same day).

Pseudo ans Andre - well done on your amazing times!! Had come to be expected though!! Serious stuff.
  • Pseudo, thanks for pointing that time out, makes me feel better - 3.00.32 and I was sick as a parrot.

RC some mileage, you too like Ant must be a maniac. 7 miles on mon since Dublin for me and I was told I was breakinf all the rules that night.
  • Dublin was my first marathon this year, completed it in 4:03:56,was a brillant experience to run with so many people,greatly supported along the way with the crowds on the streets.
    Sorry i did'nt meet any of ye,hopefully next year
    anyone interested in doing Connemarathon on 27/03/05,easter weekend, a bit of a holiday.
    Have started a thread on it, although i'm new to this.Should be good crack,the legal stuff....
  • RC,
    i saw it with my very own eyes !
    Living at Altitude may have some effect on your running Barry, but we'll see how fast you are when you return :)
    I accept your challenge for a race in 2006, just so long as its not a week before, or a week after Blackpool :)

Does not look like i made it in FLM again, at least i'm guaranteed a place for 2006 after all my failed consecutive entries (5 now including this one), so see you there RC !