Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Twin Dad the sun sure reflects off that head, may be we should have a thread for those of us who are folically challenged!!
  • damn...my wig must have fell of again
  • IA - At least we have 2006 to look forward to!! Perhaps that should be a 3:15 for me. What do you reckon mate??

TD - Is it Everades tour doing?

BFB - Mot a maniac, an addict!! Then again, aren't we all??

• Paul - the results do seem strange, I think mine have been ironed out even though the very small neg split I thought I ran wasn't to be!
    I went out and did my village 10K run last night - managed a pb by nearly 2 mins on that course compared to time ran in June - the marathon training has done some good!! Am now looking forward to a flat 10K in December to see what the legs can do.
    RC - thanks for the congrats - same to you especially with your late injury scare, 50 miles the week after the marathon is going some, my legs grumbled at 7!!!!
  • AP - That 50 does include the marathon mind!! So it was only 24 more that week!! I too want to run a flat 10k pretty soonish as my 10k p.b was set in May and it was hilly. Reckon I could knock a bit of time off that after all the mara training!?!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    A little help please from fellow forumites........

I'm taking a group of girls to Dublin next year to do their first marathon, as it's going to be an important occasion I would like some feedback on the various hotels that you all stayed in.

So please copy and paste with your replies.

Name of Hotel
    Street
    Walking Distance from Start (in minutes)
    Food (Good/Bad)
    Noisy?
    Other Facilities
    Early Brekkie on race day?
    Would you stay there again?
    Good points
    Bad points

Thanks

Shades

• Shades - depending on your budget I found the Holiday Inn city centre (Pearce Street)very good.
    5-10 min walk from start, good variety of food, treadmill in the gym, early breakfast on race day at 6am(continental only) would stay there again.
    There was some noise during the night as there is quite a lively pub opposite so make sure you can get rooms at the back of the hotel - 4.30am on the eve of the race I could still hear some noise!
    On the whole great location and would stay there again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    My chip time is now on the results!! 4.51.33, (my 4th fastest marathon), yippee
  • Hi Shades: The Camden Court was very nice. Early Breakfast, indoor pool, pub, resturant. Was a bit noisy the night before the race...but I think ALL of Dublin was from the sound of it...lol. A bit pricey, but if you share rooms it will be very reasonable. Not far from the start/finish. They had nice shampoos too... ;o)
  • Shades,we stayed at the Best Western Royal Dublin Hotel on O'Connell Street.The start goes past the front of the hotel at about 1m so it only took about 15mins to get down to the start.Asked for a room at the back of the hotel so it was pretty quiet.Most noise we had was from the fire alarm going off at 2.30am but I'm sure that isn't a regular thing!We didn't eat in the hotel but it looked very nice.No extra facilities and couldn't get an early brekkie.But as I have food intolerences our room looked like a supermarket anyway with food I had taken with me.Hotel nice and reasonably priced.It was approx £130 for three nights.
    Runningcaz sounds like you are going great.Been out 3 times this week but this calf problem is still sore.Can't even axactly describe where it hurts.My running partner at the club did point out to me though that a marathon puts your body under strains it isn't usually used to.I had a lovely steady run on Tuesday night and I don't plan on killing myself with any speed sessions for at least another week yet.I'm doing the Flying Fox 10m on Sunday so thats one to look forward to and then cross-country next weekend.Mud!
  • Shades

The Camden Deluxe, just up from the Camden Court, looks dodgy from the outside but it has nice big, clean, warm rooms with enormous beds and lots of in-room tea, coffee and milk-pots. It's about 10-15 mins from the start (and blydee ages from the finish (ouch! limp! shuffle!)) and I was able to get a bowl of cornflakes early on race-day (they also had muesli and another cereal). But those are the only good points really.

The cooked breakfast was average, being pre-cooked rather than cooked to order. There aren't really any other facilities - no real restaurant, the bar was dead and becomes a nightclub at chucking-out time, so there was a fair bit of noise on Young Master Twinkle's side of the hotel. (His mother and I heard nothing.) There is a pool hall, which we didn't investigate. And the area generally is run-down with some dodgy looking characters around.

I wouldn't choose to stay there next time I'm in Dublin, unless really pushed.

I've managed to upload the picture of me finishing in Dublin. The time it shows is the same as the race time they've given me - even though I haven't actually crossed the finishing line yet. I must have been going like a rocket! And I see from the latest version of the results page that they've promoted me by two places - from 6801 to 6799. Woo-hoo! I finished in the top 6,800! :-)
  • J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    Pseudo, as regards your split time, what they have probably done is to put down as your split time the absolute time (i.e. from the starting gun) that you crossed the half-way mat. That's what it looks like for mine.

From all the bungling so far, I would suggest that the person responsible for preparing the figures is not quite in the Einstein bracket.
  • Thanks for the idea J2R - I agree that could have made sense, but I only took about 3 s to cross the line!

I agree with Glo that the Camden Court was a nice place to stay, and also not too far from the action in Temple bar after the run, and great pub next door (like everywhere in Dublin!)

RC - thanks for the congrats also - much appreciated. The 24 miles you did the week after Dublin is impressive. I'm sure you can pb the 10 k soon, no problem.

I went for my first run last night since the marathon and my legs were still a bit heavy. Made the mistake of spending some time on the rowing machine / stepper - my legs are suffering today as a result. Amazing how exercise is so discipline specific.

Sorry to hear that you just missed out on the sub 3 baldyfrombangor. Next time eh?

Congrats on the 10 k Andre. I think I'm going to try and find a race for sometime in December to give my training an incentive. Not sure yet what my goal should be for Paris in the spring.
  • Paul - Bolsover 10K in Derbyshire on the 19th December if you are interested - pb course as very flat just can be a bit windy. I have put an entry in but entries get filled quickly so if you want to do it I would get in quite quickly.
    Sub 2.55 should be your goal for Paris.
  • Cheers for the suggestion Andre but I think I'm off to Liverpool that weekend to watch the football. I agree sub 2.55 should be possible, assuming a don't get a stitch near the end!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    We walked past the Camden De Luxe - it looked like a setting for Phantom of the Opera!
  • ... just what Twinkle said as we approached. I should have been tipped off by the lack of an exterior photo on their website.

I have a knack for booking hotels in the seedier part of town when I take Twinkle and the Boy on short city breaks.
  • Another vote for the Camden Court here - I asked for a quiet room and we were on the top floor overlooking the car park - no noise whatsoever.

Clean, modern, long bath to lie in (did not try the shampoo though)

Breakfast - opened at 6.30am for us marathoners

Was a bit chaotic at breakfast the next day, not really enough room or staff but mostly help yourself anyway, and there was plenty of food

Had a good evening meal with attentive service and 24 Euro for 3 courses!
  • stayed at Holiday Inn (Pearse Street) as well.....no complaints at all.....Andre were you in the bar watching the Man U / Arsenal match or after the race ?

RC ...yes the Everards one...did the half last yr so I understand the hills bit....part of my logic for doing the full is that I don't like the 1/2 course and therefore don't want the hard work of trying to run faster on it....bizarre that I'm thinking of the full as an easier option !....I have to do the event as my mate has already entered (1/2)
  • River house hotel (temple bar) - bit noisey, small, no early brekkie, cleanish, near start was only real good point, cheap though!! not recommended.
  • Shades, here's my report:

Pembroke Townhouse
    Pembroke Road
    15 mins from start (5 from registration)
    Breakfast only, serve yourself continental buffet plus hot items to order from the kitchen
    Very quiet
    Very small quiet lounge.
    Race day breakfast 6.30 buffet only
    Possibly
    Very comfortable bed, great bath and shower
    No bar - but some items can be purchased at reception.
    80 Euros per night

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your helpful comments re hotels.
  • Twin dad - you're mad, but I "get it". B****y ggod luck!! It that the same mate I met at Gate Gallop (or do have loads?) ;-)

Shades - thats a good response you've had. You ought to write a Hotel Guide to Dublin now!! Forumites are wicked eh!!! Oh dear too much wine again!!!!!!!!!
  • TD - I was in the bar briefly after the match. I would have been down all afternoon watching and drinking had the marathon not been on!
    Getting seriously tempted to enter the Paris marathon as there are loads of places left - a big of me knows it is a bad idea with new baby on the way etc but I keep thinking how good Dublin was and wouldn't mind doing another one!
  • Andre
    I chatted with someone during Dublin who said that Paris is really good. I'm tempted too but I've applied for London so will wait and see.

Lochaber looks good too and PH is trying to recruit G&T buyers, I mean runners, for it. ;)
  • Andre - I know how you feel (apart from the baby part!) - I always seem to sign up for the next marathon as soon as I've finished the current one as it gives me a target to aim for.

Let me know if you do decide to go for it! We could run together again, aiming for sub 2.55, or given your form you may want to aim for even faster (sub 2.50?!?)
  • Paul - don't tempt me! Another challenge is always good, will have serious talks with Rach this weekend!
    With regards to the FLM - we discussed this briefly post Dublin race but will our sub 3 at Dublin be valid for a GFA place in the 2006 FLM?
  • Should do. GFA time last for two years - unless they change the rules as they tend to do on a whim.

Pseudo: Hotel was the Charles Stewart - on Parnell square. Just a walk down O'Connell street to the start (1 mile) Small rooms but clean and comfortable enough, with slightly eccentric plumbing. Close enough for the city centre and despite being on a main road no noise probs. Staff friendly and equally as eccentric as the plumbing. Flexible enough to offer early breaky on race day and showers after even if you were checking out that day. Best bit ~ 50 euros a night.

For those of you attempting Leicester: Good Luck! I obviously would be there myself but I'm afraid I shall be either surfing in San Diego or Skiing at Lake Tahoe.