Re: Running and Fasting

Comments

• Agree with Martin. However, can we just ask you keep an eye on the offender.

Why not wipe the slate clean and start again. If you're still with us Gone Away why not post a thread on your running experience.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Thats a shame, because I'm sure it's something we all hold dear and sort of agree on'(ish).
  • Brunswick, how can you run after eating a hot dog or a burger? How do you keep it down?
  • Severa, I roll out of bed and run. No fuel except for tea from the night before. Haven't had any problems yet.
  • Pepsi - that's what I've always done!
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    You early morning people- must try it one day. I feel like death warmed up unitl 10.30, so I doubt it'll work for me, but I might give it a go next week which is half term.

Hi SS, how's life- mini SS ok I trust?
  • Pepsi - me too. I've never been able to stomach anything except plain bread or a sports bar before running, so usually don't eat until later.
  • Ok Gone Away another suggestion. Kill your current identity. Create another one and start sharing running experiences. There are all sorts on here, new runners, club runners and people just trying to keep fit.
    Its basically what the site is all about so why not come back and talk about that.

Life is too short for war, on forum or off.
  • Barkles, I don't have a problem with running after eating something like a hot dog. I know many runners have to be careful with what and when they eat in relation to their running but I am lucky in that it's something which has never caused me any trouble. I find this particularly useful when running Marathons as it is one thing less to be concerned with, and even if I do not eat enough beforehand I am able to take on something extra during the run if the need arises. I suppose digestive systems vary and mine is indifferent to being presented with food during or shortly before a run even if it is something which would be generally considered unsuitable.
    (Energy drinks are a different matter though. Inexperience led me to try one at 16 miles in my first Marathon having not trained it and it made me feel quite ill and almost ruined the run)
  • Sorry, it was Pepsi who asked the question about the hot dogs not Barkles.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Don't apologise.
  • No, BK. It's a censored board. There is no point in participating in a censored board because you can't say what you want to say unless the censor allows it, and you are not allowed to read what other people have to say unless the censor allows it. I'm just in "read only" mode from now on. I'll probably be thrown off (again) in the next 24 hours anyway, so your assumed solution doesn't necessarily work.
  • My heart bleeds. Good bye and good riddance!
  • At the risk of encouraging what we have all agreed we don't like to see on the Forum. Gone Away, if you don't want to post to a censored site, why did you post originally? The site is clearly marked with 'code of conduct' and 'report this thread to a moderator', so it seems a touch odd that you are now claiming the 'burning martyr' position of not wanting to be censored?

BK - I agree with your encouragement of Gone Away to grasp the intended idea of the Forum, but I suppose your success depends on whether you are addressing someone who wants to be a part of something friendly, open and supportive.

How sad that someone innocently asking for advice and the benefit of others experience can lead to this.

Sorry chaps, but I'm off to find the lighter side of the Forum.
  • Can't believe this is still rumbling on.

• Stumpy, I was replying to BK.

I am not claiming a "burning martyr" position as you have suggested. This site is not my property and I'm not complaining. If RW want to run it as a politically correct site where the blue pencil is applied and posts and people crossing their boundaries don't survive, that is entirely up to RW: I'm happy not to participate if that is the nature of the territory - and as RW don't want me to participate any more anyway, we seem to have reached agreement that I won't be posting.

• GA - you keep saying that you won't be posting any more and then....
  • I am for all this uncensorship. We live in a democracy and value our sense of fair play and free speech. After all, where would be if we had our hands chopped off everytime we said something again the status quo.....ummmm...oh....i'll get my coat......
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Polabear

I've been visiting the site for nearly 3 years, and this is the first time any thread has been removed that I can remember. I didn't see the original thread, but I guess it must have been OTT for RW to delete it. There have been some "heated" debates before, some threads are a little, er, risque (and some downright smutty) and some "contributers" do occasionally post some inappropriate messages (anyone remember Cindy Crawfish/Pierre?), but as a rule, we are left pretty much alone to discuss and debate.
  • I'm all for democracy and letting people post their point of view, but I am not in favour of putting others down and not respecting the point that some people in this country want to run and respect their beliefs.
    Have different points of view without abusing the right of others to have theirs.

To Gone Away, becoming a Martyr because no-one approved of your point of veiw just show how petty your argument was in the first place.

I took up running because it is the one sport thats invites people from all walks of life to participate in, whether fast or slow, young or old, beginner or experienced, christain, muslim or non-believer, it doesn't matter.
    Lets keep these posting friendly and supportive and encourage all those who want to run to their own ability.
  • why don't you just start a thread on censorship elsewhere then the debate can be debated

rather than hijack a thread about running and fasting that might be interesting to people who have ideas about the original issue

as I said before ...Lasse Viren ...I used not to eat on fridays then run then go out clubbing then get up and play sport the next day - was v lean at that time and i didnt notice any problems - but i was nineteen!
  • bune

If you look back at the first post you'll see that this did start out as a thread on censorship. Nobody has hijacked it.

Neil
  • Sean Fishpool,

Dont know if its possible but is there any way the original thread could be put back on, even if only temporarily? There seems to be a misconception that Gone Away is some sort of misguided buffoon who goes too far occasionally.

If everyone could see the original thread at least they would understand why some of us will be glad to see the back of him. I'm interested (and comforted) to hear Nessie say that this was the first thread to be removed in 3 years. It shows a basic decency predominates these forums.

Also, I'm not having a pop at those that have tried to encourage Gone Away back into the fold. That in itself shows the decency I'm talking about. Besides, Gone Away's behaviour on this this thread has been restrained, objectionable though it is.

One final point. We've not heard on this thread from some of those who were the subject of Gone Away's venom in the first thread. I sincerely hope its because they rise above such poison or have better things to do and not because they are afraid they'll be subject to more abuse if they put their heads above the parapet.

To kick one idiot off the site is preferable to a forum where people are frightened to contribute.
  • Just like to clear up that Gone Away's venom and myself are completely unrelated.

Thank you all :-)
  • Ok, here's my tuppence worth...

I logged on to the original thread becasue "running and fasting" sounded interesting. And it was. Gone Away's comments were pretty offensive but instantly other Forumites moved in to challenge what he said. Others moved in to answer Severa's post and ignored the abuse. My husband said the thread ought to be reported to the moderator but I replied that we didn't need a moderator, we were sorting it out ourselves. I hope Severa saw some of the supportive posts - I'm sure this isn't the first unpleasant incident she's endured because of her religion (there are lots of bigots about) but I hope she felt comforted that ALL other Forumites were supportive of her.

I've been posting on this Forum for about 8 months, I've had some good advice and plenty of laughs. We're always going to get the odd poster who wants to be offensive (remember Brutal anyone?) but by and large we sort it - mostly by ignoring any nasty comment. I think it's good that there is a moderator - who knows what someone might post in the future (Oooh Missus!!) but mostly I think we're grown up enough to cope. Support whoever needs support, ignore whoever needs ignoring and then move on and find something funnier.

Think that's what I'll do right now...
  • never saw the original thread but have just read from top to bottom every message to date the topic has been well discussed on every angle with everyones point of view put accross in some way or another the overiding viewpoint however and one that I believe runners world set out to achieve was that these pages are here to offer help,support and good practical advice and experiences on running.Running for those that might have forgotten is when you put one foot in front of the other. How fast you do that is entirely down to the individual just enjoy it.I have never won a race not worried if i do or don't i will still enter races try my best and enjoy my running. Good luck to all like minded people.
  • Ah, an arrest of someone by the name of "Mohammed" in connection with the Washington sniper. What a surprise.

Maybe he fasted. That would make it OK.

Mixed up values or what?

• You are a complete arse-hole aren't you, Gone Away.