HRM advice

Hello all, currently I have the most basic model of HRM ever invented by Polar. Whilst this was good enough to start with, as my running has progressed I feel it is time to upgrade.
I would like one that does splits, average bpm in that split would be good, stopwatch facility too.
I am not bothered about calorie counter, waste of time and I don't need to worry about my weight, or any fitness test facility.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/ list all the various specifications and options.

Polar still seem to be the most popular but I wonder if that is simply because they have the most established name - the other brands must have caught up by now and are somewhat cheaper. Seeing as you're keen enough to have found this site & obviously have a PC perhaps it would be worth looking into one of the models with PC download facilities?
  • Sarcy,

I use the Timex HRM. It uses a digital signal that is supposed to cause less interference. You get an Ironman watch as part of it, but some of the functions not as good as a straight Ironman.

I've only got experience of the Timex HRM, but its been reliable and met my needs (and I'm a serious running gadget boy).

Hope this helps
  • I have to confess to being a Cardiosport fan. Their aftersales service is wonderful (it's on a FREEFONE) and you can replace the batteries yourself instead of having to send off the watch/cheststrap. you can also buy all the bits as spares without having to buy a whole new set - ie: if you want to update, you just buy a wrist monitor, you don't have to buy a chest strap as well.
    Have a look at the website of all the makes and see which measures up to your requirements.
  • I'm also a big Cardiosport fan and I've been using the Excel model for about 7 years with no problems except a couple of batteries.

The gym I go to uses Polars and the failure rate seems quite alarming. Some may say that they get hammered by multiple users but I don't see why that should be the case