Help! It's Cold!

Ran a 10K on Saturday, but the 20 minutes prior to- and the first 15 minutes into the race was sooo cold. How can you keep warm during that period without dressing too heavilly, since I was soaked at the end of the race! Any ideas!? Thought about asking the wife to run the first 15 minutes with we and then I can hand her all the clothes as I become warmer, but can't, she runs away for me in the races!

Comments

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I was OK with just an extra hat & gloves on Sunday morning for a 10-miler. Depending upon your budget, there is a wide range of winter clothing for the discerning runner - long-sleeve tops, tights/ leggings as well as extra layers for the more extreme conditions. There's other threads on here (though I can't remember where) as well as write-ups in the RW magazine.
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    Unless it's very cold, wearing a dustbin liner with holes for arms & head should be enought to stop you getting too chilly. Throw it away when you start, into a bin if poss
  • oi.you thanks!

Gavo, the prob is that I dont want to run with hat/gloves in my hands once I'm warm. Will try the liner, although I might feel like a freak standing there in my 10p dress!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    GTR - go to your local charity shop and ask them to keep you some hat/gloves/sweatshirts that come in as donations that aren't good enough to be put on the rails for sale. For £1 you will be able to kit yourself out in disposable clothing, which the charity shop would dump or shred anyway.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I've never tried them but some runners use "bum-bags" (no doubt they're known properly as something else) with a few pockets in for keys, gels & the like. These might be useful to keep gloves & hats in once you're warmed up. The waistband on lycra shorts suffices for me.
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    yeah - I'm afraid they're 0 out of 10 style, unless you're pretending to be one of "Whatever" District Council running club. If you do feel a bit conspicuous - just recite the old mantra "Because I'm a runner"
  • If none of the above works just remember, if you're not cold at the start you'll be too hot during.
  • wearing an old pair of socks on the hands is a good idea, then you can just throw them away. i was cold in the first half mile or so of my race this sunday in Lytham, but after the first mile marker i was too busy concentrating on the pace...
  • Thanks for all the ideas!
    If you see a guys with a bin liner over his upper body, a bum bag around the waist to keep the bin liner in place, some socks over the hands and eating chocolate while he swooshes past you talking on his mobile about how he is not cold at all and can now even carry his car keys with him....please say hallo to me!!!!!!1
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    GTR - thanks for starting my day with a smile. I've got that picture in my head now - a really dudey lookin' runner. Wooly hat with bobble? the only thing missing.

Cold hands? SUB4 make a long sleeved top with a cuff that has a fold down mitten - no gloves needed
  • For those doing Snowdonia Marathon this weekend these points are well noted! I have just added bin liners to my shopping list - although I feel that something more long term may be neccessary... perhaps I'll carry the roll and when I get cold I'll just pull another on!!!

Brrr... In Llanberis at the moment it is 3.6 degrees - and that is at the bottom of the route!

BB