Being judged by my choice of running wear

I've recently decided to start running again after a long break and I've really got the bug, I'm loving it. I choose to wear nike running shorts and nike bra tops in Summer which keeps me cool and I'm comfy. This had lead to being accused of running naked by a neighbour. This has upset me because I don't mean to offend but if im happy and it helps my training does it matter what I wear? Just wanted other people's opinions on this matter. Thanks.

Comments

• Wear what suits you and ignore other people's opinions. Being comfortable running to me was always important as it removes a factor that could put me off 'my stride' (excuse the pun). If you change to suit this person what will you do if someone else complains? Change again? Perhaps your neighbour needs to find something better to do with their time. Happy runningimage

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Wear what you want. If you're neighbour genuinely has an issue with a sports bra top being used for running they're an idiot. Are you sure they weren't attempting humour?
  • Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately it wasn't said in jest. I'll use my stress on worrying about what I wear to make me run faster. If that makes sense. Every cloud has a silver lining and you are right, it's impossible to please everyone. I think unltimetly this person, whom made the remark, finds it hard to understand why I choose to run, despite what I wear, full stop.
  • Tell them to phone the police if they are that offended. Maybe if police show up they'll get nicked for wasting police time!
  • Good call, I'll remember that one as I'm not very good at off the cuff replies ????
  • It might be a problem only if you are male. On the other hand, I'm not that bothered by cross dressing...

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

This thread is useless without pictures.

That said ... Thank your neighbour politely for his opinion, which is important to you. Wish him a nice day, then just carry on as before. It's a run, not a catwalk, so dress as you see fit.

• I'm not that polite. Said neighbour would have been told in no uncertain terms to f*ck off and mind their own business.

• I really wouldn't have a problem with anything someone chose to run in so I can't understand where this girl who made the remark is coming from. I have been very reassured by your comments and have just entered for my first 10k and I'm going to keep my shorts and bra running tops because they are lightweight and keep me cool so aiding a better run and at the end of the day she can shout what she wants but I'll hopefully be 10k down the road with a bit of luck.
  • Not sure why you are getting stressed by it...throughout life you will receive comments that you might not agree with..if you are truly comfortable in what you are wearing then it shouldnt make any difference to you...just accept that diferent people have different opinions on what is appropriate for any given situation...and carry on running for yourself...

I find white triathlon shorts on men totally inappropriate... especially for long distance...but some people still insist on wearing them

• Maybe I am too sensitive but I'll keep away from mens white triathlon shorts all the same .
  • Clearly you weren't naked. So your neighbour is wrong.

Personally I'd be wearing less next time just to annoy them.

Don't give them an extra moments thought. Their problem - not yours.
  • For me the real issue is why this neighbour  feels she has a right to voice an opinion given that Trier is not actually "running naked" and what she wears is nothing to do with her.

if she make any more comments send her here. We will put her straight image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Hmmm, white triathlon shorts aren't a good look.

But those all-in-ones are just plain wrong.

• Everyone to their own. Had a shock the other day and looked in the mirror on the way out and I was fully (accidentally) coordinated from shoes, socks, shorts and top) - had to rush back in side to get back to my usual look of mismatched oxfam rejects.

It is tricky and annoying when you're starting and you get these jealous people throwing facile comments at you - when you haven't yet built up confidence. When you're confident you can brush them off... altho I do only think of the witty repost too late when I'm 100m down the road... always been a bit on the slow side in more ways than one.

• It's a pure jealousy thing, she feels the need to comment because she's probably not comfortable going out in a bra and shorts. Wear whatever you like!

I did the same thing recently David! I was head to toe coordinated in black and pink and actually went and put on a different top. It just doesn't look right to match so well. One very early morning run I managed to go out in different coloured shoes image only noticed when I had to stop at a crossing about a mile in. Luckily they were the same model!

• Many runners go the opposite way and over dress.  Saw a runner this evening in a jacket and leggings in the middle of August.

Me I try and wear as little as possible, just a vest and shorts.  It's easier to run fast if you are cool.

• Maybe the next time you see her, no matter what she's wearing, tell her you're highly offended by it - she how she likes a bit of her own medicine!

As everyone else has said - wear whatever feels comfortable and continue to enjoy your running.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I tend to think about my running gear in 2 ways. Firstly could it offend? Secondly,, could it give some pervert something to get excited about... In my case the answer is always no to question 2...

I guess your neighbour may worry that her bloke might like the look of you in your running kit and therefore she is acting out.

Regardless of her motives, the problem is hers- unless you don't like her ovver-arf leering at-cha!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I think of my running gear in 2 ways too - is it comfortable or likely to chafe, and will I get too warm half way through my run.  I couldn't give a stuff if anyone is offended (although they are unlikly to be offended by a technical race t-shirt and lycra shorts), and perverts will be perverts whatever you choose to wear.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, VDOT - she feels threatened by the fact that Trier looks great in her running kit, and wants to put a stop to it.

• VDOT52 wrote (see)
    I tend to think about my running gear in 2 ways. Firstly could it offend? Secondly,, could it give some pervert something to get excited about... In my case the answer is always no to question 2...

Ha ha image

• Nope, your running wear does not offend me. 

http://cdn.triathlon.competitor.com/files/2010/09/farisabudhabi.jpg

This on the other hand I find a bit weird....it's not offensive, but equally I don't find it easy to watch him race in this outfit.......

• I had ignored this thread, no opinion, but then I saw something at park run the other week that disturbed me. A young girl about 13/14 at a guess, wearing what was described here and pretty close to the above picture but a much shorter top. I actually felt pretty sick when I saw it, however, I said nothing as it wouldn't be appropriate. The parents at fault imo, it was so wrong. 

• If the gear was appropriate for what she was doing  - and if it was a summer Parkrun then it was - then that should be all there is to it. i am pretty sure no-one would think it was inappropriate for a girl that age to wear a bikini at the beach?

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The sexualisation of children is a different discussion and (can of worms) entirely.
  • if the girl was running and in running kit then I cant see what the problem is......if she was busty and running in a normal bikini and slipping out then I could see a problem.

• VDOT52 wrote (see)
    The sexualisation of children is a different discussion and (can of worms) entirely.

I agree. if we are going to call something inappropriate because  of the attitude of some of the men in whose view she might find herself while being perfecttly adequately attired for running we might as well go back to the days when we blamed rape victims for wearing short skirts.

Fine line sometimes but not in this case.

• Harsh, a fine line I agree but I felt this was the wrong side. Maybe my opinion is overly conservative, but I felt I had to overt my eyes whenever they fell on her. If it was my daughter I would not have allowed it or at least expressed a strong opinion. I don't think a bikini could have been skimpier and no she looked to young for that as well imo. As I said I had no opinion until this but it made me feel uncomfortable and thus opinion arrived at, age makes a difference.

• You can wear what you want but others will judge and they may be rude. It is the downside of living in a democratic country. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Would it be rude to suspect that the girl in question knew exactly what she was doing?