Options

Asthma and running

Comments

• Options
    i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with asthma brought on by colds and flu. I haven't run for about 6 -7 weeks, the longest break since I started running. I'm quite nervous about starting up again - I would be grateful for any words of encouragement!
  • Options
    jacqueline....I'm relatively new to this condition too...as you'll see from my previous posts.

The main thing I've learnt so far is that there is not one single answer to how we deal with asthma....there are many. What works for one person may not work for another, so we have to find out what works for us and stick with it...I haven't found my difinitive answer yet.

One thing that it really really encouraging tho is that there are lots of us on here that have asthma to varying degrees and we are all running and not letting the asthma stop us from doing what we want to do.

Take it gently to start with...use your meds, whatever you've been prescribed and build up very gradually again. You will gain more confidence over time...there's no rush.

Take care
  • Options
    Also, I have found the website for the National Asthma Campaign quite useful
  • Options
    thanks, Trinity. I'm going for my first (slow, gentle!!) run tomorrow. I've been putting it off a bit, but thanks to your kind words I can get back on the road. Thanks again.
  • Options
    You're welcome J
    Glad to hear you're getting back out there...take it easy and enjoy
  • Options
    Thanks so much - done it - went for about 35 minutes nice and gentle, body doesn't know what's hit it, but I'm back on track(!) and looking forward to the next run - despite the wheezes and aching muscles - it is good for me - isn't it???!!!!
  • Options
    Well done Jacqueline...yes it is good for you! And you sound much brighter too...that's great!!
  • Options
    If anyone is in a newsagents pick up a copy of this weeks New Scientist p36.

'TAKE A DEEP BREATH
    Asthma rates are soaring and no one knows why. Is it time for a total rethink of the condition's root cause? '

I scimmed over it whilst trying to avoid a trip round the supermarket.

Part of the article (I think)was along the lines of, traditional thought is that asthamtics have periodic narrowing of the airways caused by a trigger, however some research has shown that some asthmatics have permanent narrowing and traditional steroid treatment did nothing to help this permanent narrowing !!

Just had a look on their website to see if article available but it's not I'm afraid, however did find one article that may be of interest??

Weekly swimming linked to lung damage
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991360
  • Options
    Not sure about that Tigger, I've been completely fine all my life and the previous 3 years of running until last year I 'caught' asthma.

Now I can't reproduce any of my earlier times and often need my reliever before running just to get a reasonable time.

It seem to come on after running in some fog last spring.
  • Options
    You can get asthma, normal and EIA at any time in your life - so my GP tells me. Usually nothing you've done. Just happens. Even when you're 80! So just have to get on with life and use all the medication available. A lot of trial and error but it CAN be controlled. Don't lose hope, all asthmatics out there!!
  • Options
    boing for Orang utan
  • Options
    Orang
    <<<Hugs>>>> I'n in the same boat - found out this week I have EIA to add to my list of 'health issues'. Although I suspected it (due mostly to the helpful and knowledgeable folks here), I still felt quite shocked too. Are all the chimneys blue - quite fancy something a bit more stylish if I've got to have it around all the time!
  • Options
    All inhalers are colour coded. Salbutamol is always blue. Yuk blue too.
  • Options
    hi guys, dairy is to be avoided as it causes mucus to form in the chest especially hrd cheeses, since going wheat free my asthma is tons better, use a peak flow meter once a week to keep an eye on your levels and the nike shorts with the zip pocket on the outside of the back bit is ideal as u can fit an inhaler in it with no probs. my seretide am and pm is usually enough but i always take the blue one just in case.quinoa is like cous cous and is very nice, holland and barrett sells it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    I only found out that I had asthma after a bit of a nasty attack in the middle of the night last Thursday! I was very bummed out about it, thinking I don't want to have asthma. However, talking to the asthma nurse (also a runner) really cheered me up. I tried out my wee blue inhaler before a run on Saturday and couldn't believe the difference in my breathing! I thought that I was just a crap runner, but hooray for the drugs! Now if only they can sort out my legs....
    Very interesting about what you have been saying about food intolerance. I shouldn't eat wheat and dairy, but have been backsliding a bit recently. Better get tough!
    Do any of you know anything about the relation between thrush and asthma?
    Anyway, many thanks to you all, as reading these messages has put me in a much more positive frame of mind!
  • Options
    i find running in the rain helps keep my breathing steady, crisp frosty weather is the worst and heat is a real no-no, but with experimenting there is no reason to give up, keep at it and we will encourage and support, its took at least 8 months to get mine to a level where i the am and pm inhaler is second nature, although i did have the brown one and spacer device which is like inhaling vomit. and i dont need a check upfor 1 yr. one thing i would suggest all colds now go straight to my chest and i take a fizzy echinacea tablet each day to build up my immune system, and u can take it with asthma and my coldsare no more.
  • Options
    I also read these threads with interest a few weeks ago. I was diagnosed with late onset asthma about 21 months ago. Thank you Mum. Having witnessed the difference that the introduction of modern drugs made to her I have no hesitation in taking Becotide, Serevent and Singulair. I ran the London Marathon on Sunday in 4:22 – 20 minutes slower than 2 years ago but a great improvement on last year’s DNS. I found marathon training and keeping my peak flow stable in the cold weather quite a balancing act. I decided to be cautious and ran a lower weekly mileage than before which accounts for the slower time. Freezing cold Bramley 20 was horrible but I was fine on the day.

I was on the Green Start for the first time this year. Now I want to try and knock 8 minutes off this year's time so that I can qualify for GFA again.
  • Options
    Well done PG. I'ts amazing what medication can do to boost confidence too!
  • Options
    i also did london not as well as the prev forumite, 4.44 but the rain helps me to breathe and i did take the inhaler at the end cos i got a bit over come by it all, and i find getting upset brings it on. so theres hope for us all we need to rule it and not the other way round.
  • Options
    I did london as well and used my gel carrier to carry my reliever. Only needed it at the end, and it was very useful that I was running for the national asthma campaign - I was a bit bo-bo and a "pack" of St Johns descended on me - I kept pointing to the word ASTHMA on my vest as I was very breathless and they sussed out what was wrong and helped me use my reliever. Was very happy with my time, 3:51 - my best for 10 years!
  • Options
    well done you.
  • Options
    I need to resurrect this thread coz I've got another question...or two.

How do you combat the mid-race fear of not being able to breath?

I have been fairly successful at coping with my exercise indused asthma by taking my blue inhaler about 20 minutes before the start of a race or training, although my breathing is still not like it used to be pre this condition (will it ever be though?)

I ran the Tewkesbury half today and was attempting to break my PB (1.46) which I set on the same course last year (pre asthma). I got a good start and was still on for it at 8 miles. Then fear crept in...my breathing was hard and although I had my inhaler with me, I didn't think I should need to use it again...was I wrong?

Can you use it on the run or do you need to stop? I have had the side effect of palpatations before, but only the once, and that was after the Bath half (need I say more!)

I wouldn't want to top up with the ventolin only to find I get palpations...coz that would frighten me even more during a race.

I have a marathon next Sunday...in Copenhagen so I need to get this right and know how to manage my breathing, but also what to do about the fear aspect too, because that makes it worse.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Hi Trin

I an no expert at all and can only go on what happens to me in a race /run

I take mine 15 minutes before run and have it with me and can be sure I will need to take it the harder I run (e.g) at a race I may need it twice in a 10K also 5k race as I run as fast as my body will let me,also at a 1/2 marathon but at FLM I did not need to take it once during race.I was running a lot slower than I would have normally run due to injury.

The heat of the summer also triggers my asthma and I hate training as it effects me so much,winter training has been so much better for me personally no problems at all.

I don't have the fear as I have been asthmatic all my life when I struggle with my breathing I just try my best to get it under control deep breathing nd trying to calm myself down which is very hard when in a race..

I have never been in your suituation as always had asthma so know no different with my running so have nothing to compare it to!

I think you need to go back to your doctor/ asthma nurse and explain all your fears.Do you take other asthma medication? may be if you don't you need to.It is always wise to keep going back so they can evaluate how the asthma is with you.Do your surgery have an asthma clinic worth going every couple of months if you can make it.

I wanted to see mine before FLM to evaluate it had been a year since last time and the training had tripled it that time and felt I needed meds looked at, but no joy I still could not get appointment I have had to move doctors it has been 3 months of trying for an appointment.

Hope this has been of some help to you and good luck with your marathon next week!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Thanks WP... I suffer more in the winter...or that's when I first noticed problems with my breathing anyway, so I am hoping that it'll be easier in the warmer months.

I will go back to my doctor, maybe after the marathon and before the ultra
  • Options
    another question...WP, you said that you use the ventolin during 10k's and 1/2 maras...do you stop to use it or do you use it on the run?
  • Options
    tinkerbelletinkerbelle ✭✭✭
    i found once they got my seratide inhaler right am and pm i rarely need the blue one but always take it 15 mins before a race. i hate the summer cos it aggrevates the asthma as does crisp frosty weather , im very happy when it rains.i would also see your clinic or dr, do you take a peak flow reading , cos that gives a godd indicator if your asthma is playing up. i got mine from a local chemist.
  • Options
    tinkerbelle...yes I've got a peak flow meter but I have exercise induced asthma, so I only have the blue one and only need it for when I'm training or racing. I was only diagnosed in Feb so still have lots to learn about the condition
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Trin
    I am afraid that when I have to take extra ventolin at races I take it on the run I am too stubborn to stop and lose time.I am a dab hand at doing this.

but I have to say in the 14 months I have been running my asthma has improved at least 80% it is speed sessions and summer time and races when it acts up but I do have both asthmas exercise/allergy based.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    um, I have found that if I use my ventolin then my becotide before I run (approx 20 mins) then it is better than just the blue ventolin, the becotide keeps the lungs open and less likely to close. So I dont suffer as much. Might be worth concidering??
  • Options
    I run along with the reliever but fortunately I don't have to use the becotide these days (there was a time i couldnt get through a day without both). I hardly ever actually have to use it whilst running (i take it just before the run if I feel like i need to) but instead of running with the fear of having to use it, I run knowing that I've got the solution with me to solve the problem if it arrives.

if your body is trying to tell you something, listen to it.. keep it to hand, I don't think it'll whack too much time on your run.

Just remember to run knowing that you're asthmatic, and that there's very little you can do about that. If it decides to rear it's ugly head, it's not down to your training, or your fitness... IMHO.