Sunday 7th August

Whilst we are on good ole' singalong tunes, from an era before karaoke had been invented.

Training today, when it arrives properly, will include lung exercise (singing in church), carb and protein loading, and eventually a swim session. The knees would probably object to a run session after the Sat bike ride.

Comments

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Well done on the ultra marathon yesterday, LMH.  Fantastic effort and a fantastic time to match, nice one. image

Blisters: Enjoy the singing, carb loading and swimming, a varied but interesting schedule for the day.

What: 20 miles progressive (probably after Leicester City v Manchester United).
    Why: Community Shield... Oh, and long run day.
    Current Streak: Day 233.
    Lyrics: 'Fraid not.
    Yesterday's Lyrics: 'House of the Rising Sun' by The Animals, at least that's the most commercially successful/well known version.  Traditionally a folk song of unknown authorship but covered by many bands and artists, too many for me to bother to list.

Weekly mileage: 84 miles.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Morning

What: Going to attempt a 1hr 30- 2hr run today

Why: Now all out of whack due to a horrid week

Lyrics: Nope

Last Hard: Not being able to tran as much this week

Last Rest: Yesterday (if you could call it that)

My sisters finger has survived to fight another day. I offerred to do the ring block even OH but they decided not to. Poor sis.

Well done LMH! You make it sound so easy!

I am wondering if I will ever get to be a better runner. Do you guys think that people have a genetic pre-disposition? I haven't really improved in a long time... I watch people my height doing 4min kms but I dont think that will ever happen for me. It's not that I want to 'run that speed' etc.. but I don't feel for the amounf of time I have given running, that I am improving really at all.

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

urgh...

Only managed just under 8km. My feet were agony. Just decided to pack it in early so that I can start a new week tomorrow and try and rest/heal today. Swim later hopefully.

• Morning 

Yesterdays lyrics were no 1 the year I was born so a classic we play often and have the single on plasticimage

LMH: Fantastic race report and race well doneimage

Olly: Enjoy your long run and football match

What: rest day

Why: I always have one

Last Hard: Today 

Lyrics: Oh yes

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning.

I'm sure I will be up to 5k by then Alehouse - but they look far too painful. A 9bar is a healthy cereal bar.

I won Blisters. First man was 43 minutes behind, second woman just over an hour and a half. Do you have another tri soon.

Of dear Dibs, what do you think is going on with your feet? My running improvement came gradually over the years with consistent mileage, the difficult part was getting myself into a place where I could do the miles without breaking (orthotics, running rehab, tri training). So yes, I think you can definitely improve.

Hope you have a good rest day Poppy.

Everything seems to be working this morning, feet are a little sore and ankles and knees a tad creaky but that's all which is just as well as my beginner friend wants to run tomorrow afternoon.

What:         probably no more than Grace's walk but maybe a short and easy
    Why:          I'm an addict
    Last hard:   the last lap yesterday
    Last rest:    13/6

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning
    That does sound like a lightweight goody bag LmH, awesome performance though to win by 3/4 of an hour.
    what - 10 miles or so off road with some club pals
    why - seeing how the legs fare
    last rest - Tuesday
    last hard - yesterday

• What: sea dip after Kirk (Day7)

why: August swim-a-day 

last hard 7 days ago

last rest: 8 days ago

lyrics: no

goody bag: that's ultras for you image

• Round Tingwall pier followed by a bit of diving practice from the slipway image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

LMH you are incredible!  Well done! image

WP are you feeling better today?

What: Ale's achillies exercises
    Why: I'm trying to be good.  Was bad yesterday after my 12 km on Friday, so think a few days off with exercises and foam rolling the calf, then will give it another gentle go
    Last hard: admitting the marathon is definitely off the cards
    Lyrics: nope but I did know yesterday's, just forgot to check in (an old friend was in the Olympics yesterday, I got hooked watching until he was on!)

Have a great day all.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

Also doing Ale's achilles exercises here and seems to be working

nice 10.6m with Jnr today in the heat, nice slow pace

Take care all

• Dibs, yes you can improve. If your current training regime is delivering you consistent output results, you need to change something. I believe that at an amateur level we can look at run training quite simplistically. There's no real technique to worry about.
    Stage 1  - Endurance. - Build the base. Regular running. Weekly mileage.
    Stage 2 - Race specific endurance. - The long run. Note. This isn't necessarily a long SLOW run, but it will need to be slightly slower than the bread and butter mileage. If it's all the same pace it means that you are running your daily run too slow.
    Stage 3 - Introduce speed work. - Any number of sessions and variable options here. To run faster, you have to learn how to run faster. Ideally introduce an interval session once a week.
    Stage 4 - Combine speed with distance. eg take one of your weekly runs, start slowly and gradually increase the pace all the way through. By the end of the set you should be almost at sprint pace. Another (tough) session is to go on your long run and for the last 3 miles try and deliver your planned race pace.

In summary. If you want to run a long way, you train by running a long way. If you want to run quickly, you have to train by running quickly.
    This is a very simplistic approach. It can be made more complex if required. But then again, we all have complex home lives and work diaries. Injuries knock us back.

• Must learn to try a little harder when racing, had an enjoyable six miles this morning. Got round to downloading the Garmin. Average pace was 7.19, from memory the first two laps were faster, and consistent, but then I dropped off a little on lap three and more on the last one but I also spent slightly longer at both aid stations on the last lap as it was getting hotter and I was rather thirsty. This would probably only account for a couple of minutes at most though.  An actual pacing strategy rather than running to feel would probably help but then I just do it because I enjoy doing it and I never had a bleak spot yesterday, probably helped by taking on slightly more calories than in Denmark (3 gels, approx 250ml of flat coke, a third of a 9bar and a cup of blackcurrant squash). I was correct in saying that it wasn't flat - though only just over half the gain of Denmark at 451m.

Is your achilles really giving you gyp then emzap? Have you been to a physio?

Did you have better weather today OH? It's windy here.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Wind but nothing exceptional here. 4.1 done. Wind is warm too.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening...thought I'd posted this morning.

What: 2.1k, road, Interlaken

Why: before a day in the mountains

Lyrics: ja
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello.

20 miles done in 2:37.50 with negative split (1:21.45/1:16.05), plus being cheered on by a cyclist from mile 17 - 18, which helped keep up motivation.  Legs much fresher than the previous 20 mile run, due in part to not racing this week and having much cooler weather.

Dibs: I think Blisters has put it much better than I could, I'm sure there's plenty of improvement left in you, so stick at it. image
    WP: Hope you had a nice rest day today. image
    LMH: Sorry, missed that you got first place as well, fantastic as per. image
    Dustin: Hope your legs fared well on the 10 miles today. image
    OH: Nice swimming and diving, I assume the 4.1 is distance swum but if not, nice running as well. image
    Emzap: Sorry to hear about the marathon but sure it'll be the right decision.  Well done to your friend as well, hope they performed well. image
    Blisters: Hope you sing-swim combo went well today. image
    AH: Good running, enjoy the day in the mountains tomorrow. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • LMH: Enormous congratulations on the win. It's officially a BIG DEAL.

Ollie, that's some sound training there.

In other news, results from the inaugural reincarnation of the Gloucester City Marathon.
    Marigold - won it - in 2:30.
    Plodding Hippo - completed marathon number 441 - in 6:21.
    There were a few other runners there too.

Lyrics? King of the Road. Originally by Roger Miller in 1964. Covered by many others.