All day jog/walk/rest/whatever

I'm thinking of having a go at seeing how far I can go jogging, walking, resting whatever I feel like at the time. Speed is not important, just keeping going and seeing how far I can get in the day.

Current longest I've done is 19 miles in a bit over 3 hours, I felt I could easily have carried on a while longer after that.

What's likely to the best combination of running, walking and resting? Would I better off keeping going at walking pace rather than taking a complete break? Any do's or dont's I should have in mind? For water I've got a 3 litre back pack, expect I'll take a banana and energy bar or two to munch along the way.

Comments

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting idea, Steve...

Only trouble is that you set yourself a limit if you're on a circuit.

Perhaps if you have someone wonderful who will sit by the phone and come and pick you up, wherever you are.
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    I'll let you know in 3 weeks. I'm trying to do the 95 mile West highland way in 3 days over Easter!

In the mountian marathons I've done we run/jog on the flat or down hill and walk the uphills unless the conditions underfoot are bad in which case we walk all the time.

Longest ever done that way was 27 miles in 7 hours but included going over Hellvellyn twice, and we had 17lb packs on.
  • I should have mentioned there's no problem with setting a pre-determined limit on the distance, it's going to be done around London on part of the Captial Ring http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/streets/walking/routes-2-1.shtml or London loop http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/streets/walking/routes-2-3.shtml

There will always be a tube, train or bus route in staggering distance when I've had enough, plus a mobile to call a minicab if that plan fails.
  • 20-25mins run.... 5mins walk
    20-25mins run.... 5-10mins break
    repeat

should be good for over 5mph for 12hours or more.. depending on experience/ability/fitness etc.

drink plenty... take a gel or half a bar at regular intervals.
  • From my own experience I have found going at a brisk walk with occasional jog to be the most effective means of going far within a 24 hour period. I have started all my ultra races dead last over the start line and have watch plenty of racing snakes disappear into the distance - but after (say) 12 hours these runners soon come back to me. For example - in the Yukon this year I was last over the start line, 3rd from last at the 22 mile checkpoint and 5th into the 100 mile cp (out of the 300 mile competitors) - would have been 7th in the 100 mile had I been racing that. My theory is to suffer as little as possible for as long as possible. Good luck with this challenge.
  • Similar to LFW, on advice from various ultra-dudes on this forum i did a 24 hour track race last year basically on the basis of jog 4 laps, walk 2, then repeat

for the first 6 hours i was in last place, but then i started overtaking all the 'hares' and I ended up doing 100 miles in 23 hours

if you're interested in signing up for it, i'm doing a 24 hour race round a lake in denmark in august
  • Thanks for the replies, when I said all day I wasn't thinking of 24 hours, but it's a thought for the future.

I haven't even run a marathon yet (Hamburg 18th April here I come) but I do feel much more interested in the idea of aiming for longer runs rather than faster marathons/half-marathons.

If I could do something like ed_m's pattern and average 5mph for 8 hours it would be a lot more than I've been expecting so far.
  • Steve - as I turn 50 next year I have set myself the challenge of '50 @ 50' - possibly down the Cotswold Way - currently not running at all due to foot problems but assuming these are cleared shortly it'll back to building up an endurance base over the next few month - run/walk here I come!

Good luck in Hamburg

• Steve - good luck to you. Furthest I've done - walking only - is 30 miles in 9 hours. Do make sure you give your feet the once-over before you start: get rid of any bits of hard skin which might cause blisters. Trim toenails. Over 25 miles and your feet will tell you if all is well.
  • if you ignore blisters and 'run through them' they stop hurting after an hour or so, although its better to use red trainers if you plan to follow this approach
  • I had ago at a long distance last Saturday, but not pushing myself as far as I could go. I thought I'd do an intermediate step first, did 32 miles averaging 5 mph with rests and walking spells mixed in.

Certainly didn't feel at my limit, I'm sure I can go a fair bit further next time, but won't be for a while now, got the Hamburg Marathon soon, then take a little break after that before doing anything too hard. Maybe mid or late May I'll give it a serious go.
  • Is there a similar run/walk/break strategy I could use to get round the Marathon of an Ironman as im certainly not going to be fit enough to run it all and would rather follow a strategy to complete the 26.2 miles in 5-6hrs than run the risk of my legs completely seizing up after 13 miles.

I was thinking along the lines of run 2.5miles, walk half a mile.
  • carl if you're going to take 5hrs that is about 5mph... so 2.5mile/0.5mile is pretty close to my 25min / 5min above.
  • Thanks,

My strategy will depend how I feel when I get off the bike of course, though with a goal of to complete the event under 15hrs, 5hr for the mara should be fine though id like to go quicker but im sure my body (and mind) wont at the time.

• Carl, If you're going to run/walk the Longest Day marathon (as most people do) then be smart. The drinks stations are appx 2 miles apart, maybe less, I can't remember. I suggest that you walk through the feed stations and run between them. This strategy also makes sure that you drink enough - drinking while you are running is very difficult. Plus it gives you lots of intermediate goals to aim for.
  • Im doing 2 day Hike this weekend :o)

but i travel at the pace of my slowest mate - a full pack on my back and all them hills plus the time on my feet makes it a good endurance session