Jungle Marathon

I am thinking of doing the jungle marathon in Sept - www.junglemarathon.com

Its a 7 day race in the Amazon of about 225km with a schedule similar to the Marathon des Sables.

2 questions....
Firstly - has anyone on here done the race and if so can you give me advice - such as how difficult is it, how well organised was the race, food requirements, info on the wildlife, etc etc.

Secondly - anyone else considering doing it?

Cheers
LFW

Comments

• heat and humidity is the most difficult part to cope with from what I've read LFW. (how did you get on at Yukon btw?)
  • Hi fb....
    Not as well as I would have liked - pulled out at the 100 mile mark with chronic foot pain. Was going very well up until that point and was 7 1/2 hours up on last years time and, apart from my feet, feeling very comfortable. My friend went on to win the race - but on Monday had part of one finger cut off as a result of Frostbite.
    My result has now put a bit of fire in my belly and I now want to go back and do the race justice.

In the meantime I fancy something a little warmer and hopefully not quite so taxing.
  • great pity about Yukon lfw but better safe than sorry

try this link for a report on last years JM

2003 report
  • fb ..... thanks for the link - I had read this some time ago (soon after the 2003 race), but had forgotten where it was. I should have known as 4 of my diaries are
  • oops .... pressed the submit button by accident.... the above message should finish

.....are on the same website.
  • yeh I think have read your Jorden Desert cup one...nice interesting writeup...
  • ah yes the jordan desert cup, you will definately have to go back when they do it again the opposite way around, much more fun. i was lucky enough to do the zero edition , there were 38 runners in total with just 2 of us from britain, returned 2 years after since i knew the coarse for a better finish time
  • YRM - Well done on your 4th at the MOB lite - good to have a beer or two with you and cheers for all the MDS advice!
  • more luck and less getting lost than anyone else really, but enjoyed it, hows the knee jason?
  • well Its getting better....slowly...I can walk on it without limping now. Im gonna take a complete break for a month or so - take my Osteopaths advice, then take more rest days when I start retraining - see if I can get rid of my troubles once and for all.

I have had to cancel my MDS entry, which has been hard to comes to terms with this close to the event :-(

Claiming it back on insurance and just putting it in to a 2005 entry...I'll get there in the end.

If my knee clears up completely in the next month or two I am strongly considering putting an Entry in For Augusts MOB so maybe I will see you there.

• Sorry to here that Jason

it seems that a lot of us with 'grand' ideas at the end of last year have succumbed to injuries
  • Hi YRM (Paul)
    Have you thought of doing the Jungle Marathon - you are probably aware of the format - and I would have thought it would be right up your street.
    I am so tempted to put in my entry - but my real concern is (and I know this is reall cissy) I bloody hate spiders. I would seriously need to go and have hypno-therapy to get over the phobia......and from what little I can gather .... there are some great massive hairy ones over in Brazil.

Jason
    Sorry to hear about your withdrawal from the MdS - I understand you have focused and trained hard for the race only to be stuffed at this late stage. Get yourself ment and perhaps find something to do between now and MdS 2005.
  • unfortunately funds are short this year, boo :( but will be at this years mob,and rome marathon this weekend:)
  • LFW - Im with you on the spiders thing - not that I really mind spiders in general its just ones that are hand sized and or poisonous I wouldnt fancy in my sleeping bag.

Also you have to go through rivers at points dont you and isnt the water out their full of leeches and horrible parasetic things?

Call me a wuss but that doesnt leaves me inspired to rush for an entry form... !

Especially after watching a rather disturbing Documentary on tropical diseases the other night!

Casper - are you battling injury yourself? Weren't (or are) you planning on the GUCR this year?

Have a good one in Rome Paul.
  • Jason

lost 10 weeks at beginning of the year due to tendonitis in my ankle.

almost back on track, but withdrew from the GUCR as I wasnt sure if I could do it and wanted to someone else my place as I had one of the 20 unsupported plaes.

As it iturns out I probably could have done it. But it is on the agenda for 2006

I am doing the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc however which I m now starting to train for
  • Jason
    A number of my friends and colleagues including my fiancé and sister completed the race last year and as far as I am aware no-one suffered from anything other than the usual trench foot, dehydration etc from the constantly wet and humid conditions. I was unable to compete last year, as I was in New Orleans on business however I will definitely be there this year.
  • MikeP - full respect to Fiance and Sister - these ladies put us blokes to shame. Your very brave having a crack at it yourself - potentially you have nothing to gain and everything to lose, but I guess you will have some wonderful inside knowledge from them. For your own sanity - make sure you finish otherwise they wont let you live it down.
  • Finally put my money where my mouth is - I am off for a holiday in the jungle.

However, got a little problem to overcome first - I am presently hobbling around on crutches due to spraining my ankle running off the mountains on Sat. Plenty of time to get fit (I hope)

Has anyone else signed up? - I gather there are about 60 competitors or so going so far.

details of the race are here
  • I hate those flippin links -
    its here

copy and paste

www.junglemarathon.com
  • Hi ya-
    Yes i am fully signed up and raring to go to brazil,
    I was already to do the jungle run in french Guiana this Feb but it was cancelled late- so i opted for this one.
    I have only done 2 slowish London marathons to date so a massive challenge for me ( like all of us i guess !)
    Training quite well- 45-55 miles a weel - some runs with a heavy pack so far.
    I am not keen on spiders or creepies at all-
    I dont mind most other things-

Do you or any of the others have any kids ? I was feeling a bit that it was irresponsible for me to go and leave my 5 year old at home- Knowing what could be there in the bushes !!
    Still i am very excited about going.
    There is a forum on the official website which would be great if those registered going could use...
    See you Sept !!

• LFW-
    Know who you are now as seen your other name the website.
    I am mikeyb on the forum.

I live in Devon- so maybe could get to the Brecons for a weekend of training in the Summer- What do you think ?
    Cheers.
  • Hi Mikey
    Would love some company whilst training. Perhaps you could send me an email using the link at top of this message (your email link is disabled).
    I am recuperating at present - slight twist of an ankle wobbling about on the mountains last Saturday - resulted in 2 trips to Hospital and a day and half on crutches, but all being well will be back wobbling early June.
    Its a great benefit to meet up and train with fellow competitors - with the other races I have done in the past I have found that the exchange of info prior to the race has been fantastic and to meet up and train together is by far and away the best medium for comparing such info and advice.
  • I`ll give you a shout soon !
    Let the ankle recover.

Maybe early/mid July ?
    WOuld be good for me to do either a very long run/ trek over one day - or say perhaps 20-22 miles Saturday and same next day as well c all the gear on ?
    Not sure how much fitter you may be than me and you have the experience of ultras i dont have.
    What do you reckon ?
  • I doubt I am fitter than you - but would be great to meet up prior to the wobble for some training and exchange of info. Just let me know nearer the time.
    Keep up the good work
    LFW
  • Cheers LFW= I will be relying on your experience when in Brazil !
    What are you doing for food/meals each day- ? freeze dried/etc...

Are you an SIS/REGO person as this is what i will be taking...
    Also some fruit/nuts/bars/ pepperamis sticks/etc.. few crunchy spiders as well ??
  • Hi Mikey,
    Hopefully we will get the chance to train together prior to going to Brazil - in which case I can really bore you to tears with loads of info regarding the food etc that I am taking.
    In the meanitme and in brief - subject to getting a delivery from USA I will be using Mountainhouse food - by far and away the best dehydrated food available. It is not available in the UK - but can be purchased from REI in US. However, having said that - I think I might know an unofficial supplier in UK and will persue this course before requesting from US. I have a certain amount of this food floating about at home from recent excursions to America and Canada - but I doubt I have enough for the whole of the JM.

I am not generally a big fan of energy drink, but for a race of this nature and with the advantages of convenience and weight saving I will have to put my prejudices aside. I intend using SIS products (but at far lower concentrations than reccommended). I have probably got my plan from the MdS available somewhere on my PC on which I calculated the daily allowances and SIS types for each stage of the race - subject to finding it I anticipate that this will be the plan for the JM (the JM being exactly the same format as the MdS). If and when I find it I will forward it to you.

On other matters - my foot is f~@ked and it is probable that I wont be running for at least another 3-4 weeks. Nothing like adding a bit of pressure - but assuming I will be back wobbling by mid June - I think I will still have plenty of time to prepare.
    Cheers
    Martin
  • hi hubcap,
    as for the kids don't worry too much. i have a 4 yr and a 7yr old they think i'm slightly nuts (have told them am applying ofr the MdS) but they are enjoying telling evryone at school.

casper, was living in chamonix all of last year. if you want to get climatised there is a good campsite in les houches, or hotel crepe blanch (housed a few of last years runners)in chamonix