Pedestrians

As a long time runner, one thing that I have learned is , it is impossible to predict what the pedestrian in front of you is going to do next.

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Especially if they're one of these numpties who meander along the middle of the path either wearing headphones or twiddling with their smartphone and therefore oblivious to what is going on around them.

(We haven't had a runners-with-mp3s thread for a while image)

• they are predictable in their unpredictability though.. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hooked up to their headphones, chasing Pokémon's on their smartphones and oblivious to the world about them with a Starbucks in hand.

These are just ordinary everyday people.

The bedrock of the modern metropolis.

You know,

Morons.

🙂

• RicF imageimage

As I was running beside a path, a woman walking in the opposite direction looking directly at me, waited till I was about one or two strides away from her, stepped off the path in front of me. How I did not knock her over I have no idea.  image

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭

I don't mind them if they are on their own, it's the ones who walk with another person(s) who are facing you as your run towards me who annoy me, when they can see you coming and make no attempt for one of them to move inside so you can get past.  Had it today where a family 3 astride saw me running towards me and forced me to run in the road to get past them. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Path not pavement image Individual person not persons image

• Must be spoiled where I am, 90% of the pedestrians I encounter stand off to one side on the verge or a driveway and wait for me to pass. I tend to run in the road though where I can, avoid the constant up and downs of driveways.

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

You were forced to run in the road? That's terrible.

Selfish bastards, walking side by side. I hope you told them they should be in single file.

It would be no different if i was walking, i would have still had to step into the road with cars coming towards me as there was no where for me to go. These weren't 3 year old kids walking hand in hand with mummy, it was teenagers.  The pavement surely is half the person walking one way and half the other?. 

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Mr Soft, just run straight towards them until you are almost running into them and then either, stop abruptly and shake your head or just at the last second go to one side but make sure you get to make contact with their shoulder/arm! I can't stand obnoxious people who think that they don't need to show some sort of consideration towards ppl around them.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And to quote one Samir Hamad (thread Team GB - deleted)

"And then there was that pair the other night, walking along holding hands, blocking the pavement. Weren't f...ing holding hands after, I tell yer".

🙂

• I agree there was no forcing into the road.If you had stopped and stood still they would have walked around you. they wouldnt have piled into you or pushed you into the road./people run on pavements and expect wveryone to move to accomodate them... image

If you want to run without problems from pedestrians then go and run offroad

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Of course there's the sort of people who never ever give way anytime.

They simply walk straight ahead and look aghast and astonished when they meet one of their own species coming the other way.

🙂

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    There might not be a law taking care of this issue, and it would be really sad if there were, but common sense and courtesy should be applied which indicates to share the space and not be selfish
  • A lot of pedestrians are idiots tbh, but I still go into the road to go around them if they are blocking the pavement and there's nothing coming down the road.

The pavement is primarily for walking on really.

RicF - Good bit of Blazing saddles earlier..

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well spotted SC. Well spotted.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I expect pedestrians.

They generally don't expect someone running about in their underwear.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I try and run defensively, as generally if you smash into someone it hurts you and them. And after all, they're just randoms out for a nice walk, they're not expecting some goon to come hurtling along with no warning.

However, those walkers that take up the whole path, often down an alley, hear your stampeding hooves, turn around, see you racing towards them, and then just turn around without even the merest thought of moving...

they're right arses.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And possibly horizontal.

🙂

• I disagree. When you're out running towards a pedestrian you don't want them making any diversionary moves because there's a 5050 chance they'll go the same direction as you; then you're both in trouble. Best if they just stay as still as possible and look startled or at most keep going in a straight line. 

If they are ambulating ahead of me and blocking the path I try to time a shout to startle them which causes them to stop and turn, thus creating a space for me to nip past with a cheery thanks.

• May I add dogs to the OP !

• Dogs on LONG leads, the bain of my life image

• "He won't bite", No he probably won't but a six legged pile-up is not uncommon!

• Long leads? pointless - and dangerous in urban areas.

Worst time of day has got to be 5-6 in the evening. All the smokers are smoking creating 'fag alleys' by train stations and everyone is glued to their phones...'5 o'clock phone zombies' everywhere

• Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Long leads? pointless - and dangerous in urban areas.

Worst time of day has got to be 5-6 in the evening. All the smokers are smoking creating 'fag alleys' by train stations and everyone is glued to their phones...'5 o'clock phone zombies' everywhere

People wandering aimlessly staring at theirs phones are called smombies. image

• NR image it's getting worse, I am  afraid

• This thread is amusing, too many apologists on here - what's next, taking your trainers off and running barefoot so you don't "hurt" the concrete too much with all that pounding?

MrSoft earlier was correct - pedestrians two or three abreast coming in your direction, and who've clearly eyeballed you, but decided upon a right of superiority, are the worst...

Personally though, I would advocate quite the opposite from moving on to the road - hug the non road side and remembering your high school equation for momentum (p=mv) turn on your afterburners! This generally has the desired effect that it turns out those pedestrians can indeed see you after all!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bill Oddie!

🙂