Kingston Running Festival Marathon

Comments

• annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    best of luck to everyone, i haven't been able to look through the thread but is there a meeting point for before/after the race?
  • Outside Woolies around 7:30am.....I'll probably be loitering nervously even earlier than that wishing I'd worn something warmer!
  • I agree Ivor, I'll be there at about 7:20 I think as I have a strict plan written down of where I need to be and when - loo call permitting of course.

I'm planning on wearing an old T-shirt that I can throw away just before the start or else keeping warm may be difficult because looking at the forecast it could be less than 10 degrees at 7:30am.
  • seeing as i'm bottom of finish list do any of you think you'll have the energy to run a few extra miles and join me near the finish, no, thought not.

• I must admit Lisa, that the thought of running 26.2 seems quite enough for now as I've never done it before and only run 20 miles three times in training, so just getting round the uncharted territory of 6 more miles will prove sufficient for me I think, but hey, who knows I might fancy another couple on top of that (not).
  • I've been told by many that the marathon really starts at 20 miles, and like you Rob my longest run has been that distance, so all i'm aiming for is to finish in day light!! You should have enough time to shower, have breakfast before i finish.
  • Breakfast - I've got that planned for something unearthly like 5:15am - I'm looking forward to lunch (although I think I'll leave the beer that I've been off of for 2 months now until the evening !!!!!).
  • Hi all
    Feeling v. unconfident. Been on hols last two weeks one degree off the Equator in deepest Indonesia. Tried to keep the schedule going (had stuck to it religiously before leaving) but found heat and humidity overwhelming, not to mention near vertical hills (up and down) due to being located on the side of a mountain. Suffered badly with asthma - it was like breathing soup, so longest run out there was only 75 mins. Became quite a talking point amongst the locals and got used to chasing chickens, goats and various other forms of livestock out of my path! Have also come back with food poisoning courtesy of Singapore Airlines - was in extreme pain yesterday but feeling better today. Aiming just to finish if I can - don't want to write off last 3 months of hard training. See you all there - I'm 295.
  • 295 shirl!!!
    thats old - I am 31 years old (ive just realised im number 31 too - coincidence!)
    I think you must be in the super super veterans category!
    Good luck anyway and hope to see u at woolies
  • Rob, you seem to have perfectly tuned your training for this Marathon, you should do well, 20 miles is the correct distance to run in training, just to start switching to fat burning. I see your going for a 3:19 for a first marathon! You can so do that, wish you luck, just dont go off too fast.

As for my 3:30, I guessed that as went through marathon distance in 3:35 last sunday at a very steady pace on a steady incline. As for x-counrty, will have to see. Have to be in 2 places at once, well Reading in the morning and the race is up Halton at 3. Might be too much of a mission, just have to see.

Well done Ivor on the Cycle, that has to be tough going too, Im sure I dont have to mention that Ditching Beacon Hill thing! sends a quiver down my spine everytime i hear it!

Best of luck everyone else
  • Ok latest on the waether situation.

early reports were that the high pressure currently building would hold until later Sunday/Monday....

.... however that appears not to be the case and the forecast at present is that the weather front will be somewhere in the channel around lunchtime Sunday.

So that's good and bad news - good in that it won't have got to us and so there should not be too much rain (although we may encounter the odd shower, later rather than earlier) but it will be a little windy, again better earlier.

So all in all a good incentive to run quickly - not perfect conditions unfortunately but the longer we take the worse it may get.

Of course the forecast could well change between now and Sunday !!!!!

Hope everyone is relaxing, eating loads of carbs and hydrating well.
  • I'm proud to say I cycled all the way up that blighter. Wont do the cycle ride next year, but maybe, just maybe I might be fanatical enough to do the run.
  • Shirl - sorry to stick you at the end, but it'll please Lisa!! Give us a time and we'll move you up. Hope you're feeling better. Good work on the weather Rob.

204(ultra)Angelis 2:55
    151 toomuchapplepie 2:59
    153 Bubblecop 3:10
    37 Fozzy 3:14
    22 RobK (Rob) 3:19
    27 Ivor Blister (John) 3:23
    205 Purple Monster (Adam) 3:30
    62 Deadbeat 3:30
    31 Loaded (Tim) 3:55
    253 Loubeloo 3:55
    256 Lisa Hart 2 (Lisa) 4:30
    295 Shirl (Shirl((ey)) ??:??
  • Don't mind being at the end ivor - that's probably where I'll finish. I'll be the one with the great suntan going v. slowly. Didn't realise numbers related to age groups but can confirm I am at least a supervet!
  • my first marathon, I feel sick! everyone seems to be a bit fast,are there any pacers going, cos I always start a bit fast and then collapse!
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    shirl, from when we used to go running together I know you are very, very strong mentally, and will definitely do ok, just keep your health together and don't knacker yourself out these last few days.

Shirl is the person who inspired me to even contemplate running a marathon so I really hope you do ok, and Helen as well, in fact everyone on here that have been posting at all, best of luck. Now that my marathon training went up the spout i take my hat off to you guys who made it all the way through, well done and I hope you get the results you deserve
  • thanks Annajo.
    Helen, you're in good company as a novice marathoner - if you want to post your race number (& guestimate time) then you'll get some support from a few people on the way round.

No pacers as far as I know, but a good range of times posted above if you want to stick together with another runner.
  • Helen i can guarantee a slow start, i only have one pace, and thats it. I'll be happy for any company along the way. My nerves are ok now, just avoiding hubbie who has "man flu"!!!!
  • Hee, hee...... Lisa, 'man flu' - aka a small sniffle!

Thanks for words of encouragement Annajo. Am just going to try to hang in for the distance. Give me a wave on the way past!
  • Well this is the list as I'm about to leave and probably won't get back on here till Tuesday (slight chance I can get on Saturday lunchtime though so watch this space) - have a good run everyone.

See you outside Woolies at 7:20 Sunday.

204(ultra)Angelis 2:55
    295 Shirl (Shirl) ??:??
    ??? Helen (Helen) ??:??

Annajo - supporting
  • ...so its 'man knees' that are bothering me.

They feel better already.
  • Still here !!!

Just noticed from event website that basically all 3 races are full - which means that it is going to be very busy in Kingston (so get there early, before everyone else, which should be OK as we go off 25 mins before the 8 mile race).

300 marathon
    1000 16 mile
    1400 8 mile
  • Hello to everybody I hope all that run on sunday achieve their own targets and I will hope to see you on sunday.

Will be revising time as had major asmatha attack on tuesday which has left ribs and thighs very tight sore and drained, will probably be running 3.15 to 3.30 time now.
  • Tough luck there Angelis - I've slipped you down the list, but still quietly expect you to do a fair bit better......

204(ultra)Angelis 3:22:30
  • Good luck to all. I've run the marathon last two years, but I'm sticking to the 16 this time, having not done the long runs for the marathon.

Watch out passing slower 8 & 16 milers towards the end of each lap. Best way is to stick to running in the cycle lane.

Passing the finish at the end of the second lap, another 8 miles to go and 16 milers finishing is a real gut-wrencher
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone, I did this marathon last year, its nice and fast :-), in fact the time for this race is still my PB.

Going with the 8 mile this time cos its the only kingston distance I ain't done over the years and I did Loch Ness Marathon last weekend (although I have to admit I did think about doing the marathon in kingston for a couple of days this week, then came to my sense :-))

Will probably see some of you marathoners when you rejoin the main loop after your little detour into Thames Ditton..

p.s. Make sure you have got plenty of nrg gels and drinks to get you round !!
  • Good luck everybody

Was able to run 10 miles last night which got better the further I ran as it alllowed me to stretch my thighs out and not so tight this morning, Things looking a bit better for tomorrow.
  • Morning all, hope all are well. I think a cold is on the well, but only 1 more long run to do!! I had to cancel Luton Marathon last year following 3 chest infections in 5 weeks (also asthmatic) so i'm running tomorrow regardless. See you all at Woolworths around 7.30am, for those who can't make it, good luck.

• Hi all, managed to get on here even though I thought I wouldn't. Angelis, moving you up again as you sound too positive after your 10 miler. I've still got a niggling cold/sore throat. Had it for a week now, not any worse but no better either.

Weather conditions seem to be not too bad although the forecasts over the last few days have varied wildly. Should stay dry or at worst a light shower although it will be reasonably windy (probably not quite as bad as today though).

I have passed this list to my supporters who may give you a shout if they see your number, so be prepared for some strangers yelling at you on Kingston Bridge, Hampton Court or Thames Ditton by the cricket green.

204 (ultra)Angelis 3:10

Good luck everyone - see you at Woolies at 7:20am.

Looking forward to all your race reports on here afterwards.

Good luck to all the 8 and 16 runners too.
  • Good luck all.

You know, I fancy a long run tomorrow as well LisaH. But will see how I feel in the morning. ;o)

((Luton WILL be my second 26.2.......regardless of, or in spite of tomorrow))