Options

Kingston Running Festival Marathon

Comments

• Options
    hi there, has places for this all been filled up as tried entering but no sign of it!! Have I left it too late, does that mean I have to go out partying instead of waking up early in the morning!!!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Dunno. My name still isn't up there either. I suspect you should still get a place - he tends to send an email round when they fill up.
  • Options
    I had the following email from John Lunt last week, 13th September, so I'd be surprised if the race is full:-

Apologies if you have received this twice. we have been updating our software.
    The Kingston Running Festival on the 10th October. (Marathon, 16 mile and 8.2 mile distances) still has places available. Forms are available on the Human race website: www.humanrace.co.uk
    This will be the final year for the marathon distance at Kingston and the entry numbers for the festival will be restricted. The closing date is next weekend.
    many thanks
    John
    Human Race events
    to be removed from the list please reply with REMOVE in the subject.
  • Options
    Also from the Human Race website:-

Last Postal Entries
    Please get your friend's postal entries in early, they will be accepted up until 24th September and they will be turned around within 24 hours.

But no entries on the day.
  • Options
    Guys, I could really do with some advice. Been training for this for 4 months. I've done 3x 20 milers [approx3hrs] and 1x 22miler [3hr 15ish] on a weekly mileage of upto 50. However, on the 22miler I went through some bad experiences - hallucinations, disorientation etc - at about 18miles, but started feeling a bit better at 20. I haven't been taking energy gels on my long runs, just lucoxade.
    Now 1st piece of advice req'd is - should I be using gels, if so which and at point of the race should I take them.
    2nd piece of advice - I have a 1/2M PB of 1hr41mins, what is a realistic time for my marathon. I was hoping to aim for 3 1/2hr but after my experience I think this may be wildy optermistic.
    Sorry to ramble on but I'm getting a bit nervous!!!!
  • Options
    this is my first attempt at a marathon. In short, my question is this: when do you know that you are pushing yourself too hard, and that its safer to call it a day. I have heard all sorts: shin splints (what ever they are), day dreaming? Help pls!!
  • Options
    Maestro, I'm no expert (this being my first mara) but I guess that you need more glucose and water whilst running if you are having those sorts of problems. You probably need a gel every 30 mins of running together with at least 100ml of water.
    As for times I think that a 1:41 1/2 mara should equate to roughly 3:35 mara but I wait to be corrected on that one.

Gary, assuming you have trained reasonably your body should tell you if you are pushing too hard. You should have done at least a couple of 20 mile runs, so after a taper you should probably race something like 15 secs a mile faster. So a 20 mile training run at 9 min mile pace (3:00) may equate to a race pace of 2:55 for 20 miles, although it is a personal thing depending on training pace. For example have you done a marathon pace run of at least 12 miles? But putting it simply, start slowly and see how you feel after 16 miles.
    Shin splints should not be an issue as they are only painful when you stop, day dreaming is more important - remember to drink enough and take energy on board.
  • Options
    Event website entry list has 165 marathon entrants so far with closing date this weekend so it seems unlikely to reach the 200 mark.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I've experienced similar in the past (i.e. extreme light-headedness and overwhelming hunger), but I find if I have a quick snack before I run (a slice of toast, a donut, something like that) I'm OK. I find I need to do this regardless of what I've eaten earlier in the day - in other words, even if I've had a huge lunch, I still need a pre-run snack before an evening run or I run out of gas.

For your target time, I wouldn't get too discouraged by long-run training times. 3:30 - 3:40 seems reasonable. If I were you (assuming you're at a similar level of fitness to your half) I'd aim to do the first half in 1:48 or so and see how you're doing, but in any case you should feel like you could be going a bit faster for at least the first half. The good thing about Kingston is that you can be quite precise in your pacing as it's flat and well-marked.

As for how do you know if you've pushed too hard - don't worry, you'll know!
  • Options
    Maestro, just re-read your query and so I'll try and answer the bit I'd missed.

Gels should kick in approx 10-15 mins after taking them. Personally I plan to start taking them after about 8 miles, and then every 30 mins or so, but I bow to those with more experience than me (which is most people).
  • Options
    This is my first 26.2 too. Initially I was aiming at a 3:15 to 3:25 target, but the last few long 17 to 20 milers have taught me to be slightly more realistic.
    I'll be thrilled just to get to the start line without any of the injuries & bugs that keep interrupting my training. I've come to realise that I've just got to do a marathon before I can be particularly fussy about the time......

I've been using Lucozade orange 600ml, and plan to set off with one of these heavy things - hopefully it will keep me slow for the first few miles! I take a slurp every 20-30minutes and have arranged to pick up a smaller bottle last time over the bridge. When I've run long with just water I've suffered dizziness.
  • Options
    Robk, The marathon entry list should pass 200 as alot of online entries have not been put on yet. I and about 5 of my friends aren't on the entry list yet so hopefully it should beatlast years race numbers.
  • Options
    hi all, anyone else not on the entry list yet who has entered online? I have just sent another email to john Lunt to see if there's a problem. Also anyone getting the train from waterloo - looks like it's the first one of the day the 6.20!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for your words of wisdom RobK and toomuch, Most helpful.
    I'm with you Ivor, I have certainly developed a healthy respect for the marathon.

Cheers Guys look forward to seeing you in 3 weeks [s**t it's less than that now - gulp]
  • Options
    I assume we should be getting numbers etc through the post soon. Anyone experience of previous years when they get sent out?

Ivor, I have told friends that 3:30 is my target but secretly wish I could dip under the 3:15, but I fancy 3:20 to 3:25 will be more realistic.
  • Options
    Robk - I ran last year recieved number the week before , at least this year the 8 milers start fifty minutes later, last year it was only 20 mins and they sped past near the end of the first loop.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    You're right - I hadn't thought of that. They've switched the starts of the other races - that's great news, as it means far fewer 16-milers to overtake near the end. I suppose it also means overtaking slower 8-milers on loop 2, but that's not so bad.

So now all there is to worry about is those road crossings. Not too bad, but you need to check as there are always cretin drivers who ignore the marshals.

And don't forget that you need to do 1 extra small-ish loop on lap 1 only in Thames Ditton. It sounds simple on the instructions, but I find it's easy to get confused about even simple things in races. They always get a handful of people who mess up.
  • Options
    Event web site says the start times are as follows:

mara 8:00am
    8 mile 8:25am
    16 mile 8:55am

So 8 milers start 25mins after us marathoners.
  • Options
    recieved a email from John Lunt all online entries hopefully be up by tonight. The little loop on the first lap is a right pain as you are running the same bit of course you have just done 10 mins ago it's dishearting. Hopefully the weather will be good, as last year it was cold.
  • Options
    Yes, you can do all the right preparation for a cracking good run and then find its wet, windy or cold (or all 3).

Nice still morning, clear sky and 14 degrees at 8am will suit me just fine.
  • Options
    Event website now shows 223 marathon entrants, so with some no shows and still time for people to enter we should be over 200 starters I think, so hopefully no running on our own too jmuch then.
  • Options
    Yay im in, now im scared. This is a long run before Dublin marathon!
  • Options
    Tilly - I assume you're doing the 16 then, there'll probably be over 700 entrants in that one.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Weather last year seemed ideal, except that I was marshalling and forgot my fleece.
    14 degrees bit warm for me. According to Noakes, you need to feel cold in your running vest at the start for ideal fast times. As long as it's not above 20 or blowing a gale it should be quite fast.

Getting quite impatient for this now, and my name is at last on the site too. Bring it on!
  • Options
    Just hope i don't get injured , doing the windsor half on sunday , last year's kingston marathon the marshalling was excellent with lot's of encouragement for a tired and shuffling runner on the last loop. Just hope it's not blowing a gale as i'm hoping to do a PB. I found last year that the last part of the loop after the 2nd drinks station was pretty narrow especially going under the bridge if runners are going past you or vice versa.
  • Options
    I've broken PB's on four of my regular runs in the last week. Short runs admittedly, but its almost like the training has had an effect!!

What are you all doing with the extra time you'll have on your hands for the next couple of weeks ?

I'll be mostly suffering from panic attacks and complete confidence melt-downs <:o)
  • Options
    Ivor, Apart from the windsor half i'm going to start tapering down at the end of next week and start carbo loading and just trying to relax as this is the race i've been aiming all my training for. I'm rereading my runnersworld magazines to give me confidence!!!!
  • Options
    This week is a full week of training finishing Sunday with 16 miles - after that yes it's time to take it easy, reduce mileage and intensity by roughly 50%, rest during that extra free time (actually see the wife for a change !!). In the final week reduce by a further 50% and take 3 days off leading up to the 10th.

The only panic attack I'll have is making sure I've packed everything I need, until the start line when I've got to try and not run the first mile in under 7 mins.
  • Options
    I am doing the 16 Mile Kingston Race for Charity on 10.10.04.

Any donations (please) to www.justgiving.com/billclark.

Thank you.
  • Options
    I'm doing the marathon with my brother. Its my second (i did the edinburgh marathon in June - you would think that I learnt my lesson) and my brothers first, anyone thought to have a runnersworld forum get together at the start, or, for those that can stand, at the end?
    BTW My forum comment was in the magazine last month!!! I'm famous! the world is mine, mine, mine!