Options

IM Lanzarote 2017

Comments

• Options
    M...eldy said:

I am proper jealous of you lot ..(supporting that is)

. don't believe the wind forecast

. if you are stuck for luggage limit then leave all toiletries behind and by it once you are out there, its not expensive. 

> don't believe the wind forecast

+1                               don't believe the wind forecast

• Options
    I don't believe anything you say SA  
    Last year you told me it wasn't so hilly 
  • Options
    Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭
    And he was talking about the swim at the time.
  • Options
    I've heard the swim start has been improved this year

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Just went for an easy 5k run at 4 in the afternoon.  Nice plod out into the wind, turned around and thought this feels tough.  Quick check of the hr....
    172 running slow.    Oh dear

It's fucking hot!!!   Way hotter than March

Was it this hot last time?
  • Options
    yep!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    I was gonna ride over wed morning to.la santa.  Nice easy 30-40k there and back(with a 400m hill in the middle,    into a headwind).
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Can someone add us to.the list...
    OC 1369.  (15:30 prediction)
    Shuffle b 499 ( 16:59 prediction and last finisher :-)   if she makes cut off...  Otherwise the prediction is 5 beers :-)
  • Options
    Athletes loaded into IMTrackr - let's go people.
  • Options

IronmanDead doing its usual cracking job. No splits yet!

• Options

Everyone out of the swim, except Shuffle Bunny, who went through halfway in 1:03:25

• Options
    M&M through 32km on the bike
  • Options
    :)  Followed by Sunnysider Phil & Flat Footed
  • Options
    All through 32km on the bike. Not sure what's happened with Shuffle B! 
  • Options
    Glad that shits over and done.
  • Options

Well done to those that finished.
    Well done to those that even managed to make it to the start line.
    Well done to the supporters.
    Everyone have a drink for me - just don't send me the bar bill!

• Options

Looked like a very hard day out guys...........Well done ...great efforts.
    Any race reports yet please?
    Need a good read as next year's is close to school hols (26th) so may be on the sailing for that one!!!

• Options
    Here we go then........

I completed IM Lanzarote last year and it nearly broke me, Bizarrely after I finished in 15.51.55, I knew I wanted to do it again. I could do better then that

So I found myself getting off the plane into the wind and heat, this time though I was a 1000 bike miles fitter then last year, 10kg lighter and I knew the course. Beating last years time was going to be easy.

Then the doubts took shape, I went for a test ride after building the bike and found the wind horrendous, less then 10 miles in a hour into the head wind, followed by a stupidly dangerous return where the bike was blown all over the place.
    I met M&M and Digger later, they told me about a nightmare swim practice which Digger abandoned and M&M took 60 minutes to complete one lap.  The conditions were not helping us.

Registration and racking were painless, a nice meal with the rest of the pirate gang and I went back to my room early I was happy race day was here.

• Options
    Race Day

I woke up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep, this isn't unusual for on race day, I ate and drank with no issues and strolled down to Transition. Again no dramas here and I met with the other Pirates and made my way down to the beach. The usual pre-race banter and nervous laughter was rudely interrupted by the siren and we were off.

Swim

Last year I swam 2.8 miles in total avoiding the worst of the mass start, this year I tucked in close to the rope and had a good swim for the first 200 metres till the first buoy.
    I saw it coming and should have done something but I didn't, as we turned the bloke whose feet I was drafting off, changed to breast stroke, probably as it was congested, He then kicked me straight in the ribs on the right side as my arm was at it furthest reach point, Fuck that hurt.
    Instantly I was winded, I tried to breathe ever other stroke and then I tried not putting my face in at all but it was no good, I was in trouble. I ended up rolling onto my back and floating just trying to breathe. Of course everyone swam straight over me and I started to panic. I had a word with myself and started to try a few tentative strokes of front crawl, I still don't know how but I made the second buoy. By now it was fairly open and I was able to get back to Australian exit without further issue.
    Lap two was fine apart from the short 100 metre section at the turn, I noticed that the tide was really strong and it took a lot of effort to stay on course.
    Swim done in 1.21.14
  • Options
    T1 and Bike

I always take my time in T1, I made it onto my bike swiftly and that's where the real Lanza fun begins

The ride out of PdC was fine apart from one thing, it felt hot, really hot already. The next three hours were fine, I was averaging close to 18 mph and enjoying it. It was on the drag away from La Santa that I could feel myself slowing. The climb up the Haria was ok but the decent on the switch back was awful, the cross winds took all the fun out of it and the same happened on the Rio.
    By now I knew it was a lot hotter then last year and dual carriageway section was horrendous. no wind, no shade just heat. The Lanzarote Roubaix section was as horrible as ever and I was actually happy to see the donkey track.

Bike done in 7.48
  • Options
    T2 and Run

AS I sorted my feet out for the run I was amazed, I heard three others saying they were not going out to run, I look round the tent and saw others with medical staff looking a bit grim.
    As I went out I saw OC and he told me he was done and wouldn't be running. As I went out it was like running straight into an oven. I saw Barlos and he told me I was second Pirate out, this amazed me and worried mem where were the other pirates?

My run lasted for the first mile and then turned into a walk, my stomach was not feeling good and twice I had to dive into a nearby bar to use their toilets.
    The feedstation were shite, but I stuck to water only. I walked the next eight miles till M&M passed me and told me about some of the others. I watched him run on and just before the turn point I projectile vomited for a good five minutes.

Strangely within five minutes I was feeling better, so I began I sort of run/walk strategy. I caught up with M&M again just before the airport and we continued running 5 lamp posts or to the next crossing or whatever we could make up to keep us going.

Back to the turn around at 18 miles and see the Pirate support at Ruta66, we found out about who had and who hadn't made the run.

We were briefly passed by Crooky and as the sun began to set it actually became a pleasant run. The last 8 miles felt good and soon it was time to dance down the carpet to those amazing words "You are an IRONMAN"

Run leg done 6.13
  • Options
    So I had finished in 15.42.21........All that extra training to take 9 minutes off last years time, was it worth it? No, But it was harder then last year in my opinion. The wind was worse, it was hotter as well.

I walked up to Ruta and straight to my wife, last year I told her I needed to do it again, this year, to tell her I was done with Lanzarote.

I'll come back next year, to support those who take on what rightfully is called the hardest Ironman branded race on the Planet.

Massive thanks to Persil, Lee, Little Clown, The Diggers, M&M, Sunnysider Phil, Nicko, Barlos, Oxy, Schmunks, HC, DPS Dave, Trogs and anyone else that made it another Oarsum trip.

Thanks
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Nice report FF. A very tough day by the sound of it. Well done on your finish...same again next year?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Nice report FF!

The 15 month plan to get Shuffle B around lanza started, surprisingly enough 15 months ago.  It involved a good summer's training, IM mallorca to get strong on the hills, then a good winters training, followed by a week in lanza in March.

The plan lasted about 15 days.... We both pulled out of mallorca due to 'stuff', she finally got going in March and got 3 months good training in. I never really got going.

I surprisingly survived the swim. I waited at the back and started with Shuffle b as she melted down on the start line.  We got in last, and as I could not help her once she started swimming, off I went.

Note to self.  Swimming on a regular basis means it's a lot easier.  2 * 800m pool swims and 4 * 30 min open water swims meant I just swum easy.  it started to get a bit tough on the second lap, so I stopped a few times for a 10 second rest.  I noticed my direct route on the return leg was ignored by 90% of the field as they all took a longer line way nearer the beach, but maybe put the current. Swim was about 1:19 in the water
    I suffered for the next 2 days not being able to turn my neck - must swim more.  I've done a 1:06, and I was overjoyed with being put before 1:30.
    Loved the shoals of fish.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Leasurely transition then out on the bike.  And I forgot about easy - doh!
    I found the first 30k really slow and hard.  The wind was more Nw than NE so a headwind out to yaiza and El goto.  
    I tried to ride easy, but the hr sat at 140-160.  Not the place it should be. But so many people were coming by and there was nothing I could do about it.
    Off up firemountain, and things speeded up.  The wind was still in the wrong direction but was pretty light.
    Stopped.for 2 mins to adjust my handle bars as they felt like they had slipped (they hadn't)
    It started to unravel near the top of Haria.  Oh dear, nothing left, and I was pedalling squares.  Recovered a bit down the Haria switchbacks as I made up a lot of time as I know the roads, was on a disk braked bike with 28s, and am a bit heavier than normal.  The x winds did not effect me - I just sat on my tri bars flying by tri bikes as they slowly decended.  However they caught me in a minute up the next hill :'( 

The steep lump before the mirrador was awful. I had a 2 minute break for a drink and a gel.  Then onto the mirrador -I was slow but it was not too bad.  Another drinks stop then off I went depending well to arieta and onto the LZ1.  yay, fast tail wind as I hammer home for the next 30k.... Except no tail wind, just light xwinds and lots of heat.  
    I was slow
    Eventually I turned right.climbing upto the cobbled section.  I got slower, then slower again on the cobbles.  Had another break once I cleared those, persuading my self to keep going.only by promising myself not to run.
    Things picked up.a.litle on the way back, but only really on the downhills.
    Then into Puerto del carmen, had a quick chat with the missus, then into t2.
    7:44 ride, (I've done a 5:50 before last time I raced here).  Oh dear.

I was done.  The total pack of run training also.meant it was a smart move

It took me 30 mins to get out of transition - scratching is surprisingly difficult 

I hated being crap, so motivation is returning!  bring on the summer as training starts for barcelona next week, (honest)

Oh, and sorry for being a bit anti social over the last couple of races. but it's been a bit of a struggle over the last few years.  I will try harder :-D 
  • Options
    Sounds like it a a really tough day out on the bike this year....it's such a beautiful course.....glad that you have survived yo race another day
  • Options
    Blimey OC that does sound like a bad day in the office!  Was it just windier than normal or aren't you as bike fit as you used to be?  

Well done FF, are the feed stations still crappy on the run then?  I remember the fecking Red Bull they put out in 2013, bleugh.
  • Options
    IP - Yep the feedstations were dire this year, they had no gels/fruit left by time I got out on the run. It wasn't till the onion soup/gravy came out after 8pm that there was anything savoury at all.
  • Options
    Loving the race reports.

Great to see you all in Lanza, commiserations to those who didnt didnt last the whole night on the dance floor.