New job advice

I'm starting a PhD in September and am really nervous. Any tips for starting in a new place of work where you don't know anyone? Is anyone out there doing/has done a PhD? And what in? (Just curious)

Comments

• Starting a PhD is no different from starting any other sort of new job - a PhD is research and not at all like "doing a course" so you will be expected to behave exactly as though you are in any other full time job and, if you have a good supervisor, will be expected to manage your own time, chose appropriate activities, meet deadlines (at which I was abysmally bad!), etc.

As for tips - again, like any new job/position - be ready and willing to listen to advice from those around you who've been there longer than you, don't be afraid to ask questions (if you genuinely can't figure out the answer for yourself), try to get a feel for the "culture" of the place where you're working... simple/obvious things like do people have a set chair that they like to sit in, is a teabreak the real time when decsions get made, is there one complete arsehole that you should nod and smile at but try not to antagonise and avoid if at all possible? Don't act like you know it all on the first day, or even in the first week or month. Take any opportunities offered to you to attend conferences or meet with other researchers in your field - shared knowledge is invaluable. Also, take any opportunities to make presentations (posters or orals) - even if this scares you witless as it's a great skill to have at the end of your studies.

Most importantly though... enjoy it. My PhD was the best thing I ever did - autonomy to study something that I genuinely loved... every day... and be a total geek about the subject without people smirking and rolling their eyes - because that's what you're supposed to do... immerse yourself in the subject and be a fan. I really miss academia!

Good luck - what are you researching? Mine was in Analytical Chemistry - mass spectrometry, to be specific.

Oh - and start writing up as soon as possible... start now... start yesterday... writing up is worse than you can imagine (and great at the same time) - start it sooner than you think... try to do some writing as you go along as that will really help you in the long run.

ETA: Whoops - sorry for the huge wall of text reply!

• Ears open, mouth shut with a smile in the beginning. Be seen to be doing what you are supposed to be doing (make sure you've got a fair idea of what that's meant to be and hit the ground running) take a genuine interest in what everyone else is doing so you understand how it fits with your work. Help people out wherever you can but take care that you're not just randomly doing things for people because you think you're helping. Later on, only rock the  boat when you're sure everyone else has their life vest on.

That's starting at a new place advice;  don't know about a PhD.

What are you doing your PhD in?

• Wow, thanks for the tips/taking the time to reply. That will be really useful. My degree is in Physics and my PhD is specifically nanophysics/single molecule science. I'm excited, just worried because I'm quite quiet and shy haha

Thanks again!!!!
  • Your PhD sounds very interesting Naomi2e!

Don't worry about being quiet and shy around other physicists - it's their default setting image image (I'm allowed to say that my little brother is currently doing a D.Eng. after his Physics degree).

• ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

Congrats Naomi2elizabeth! Just try & enjoy it. Life will never be the same!

I did mine nearly 20 years ago (Genetics), and have supervised & examined students since (terrifying!). I now teach on Doctoral Training Programmes at different Unis.

You're entering quite a different environment from what it used to be. The structure has changed, funding has changed, supervisor accountability has (hopefully) improved. Presumably you're on a 4 year programme, with a structured 1st year & then beginning your research project in earnest, or are you 'old skool' and being dumped straight into the project?

At times it will be intimidating, exciting, depressing, curious, boring as hell, very frustrating & also give you greater highs than even running. Be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster. You will be under a lot of pressure, but most of it will probably come from yourself. You will know all the flaws of your project & for much of it, won't be able to see the wood for the trees. It will impact on your private life - be prepared to redraw the lines with those nearest & dearest (even if it is only temporary). 

Make friends with the important people - the ones who look after you - canteen/cafe staff, security, reception, cleaners etc. The schmoozing of 'respected' authors & researchers will be an utter disappointment, and you can leave that 'til it's truly necessary.

Don't take scientific or academic criticism personally. This is one of the hardest things to manage. If you can, leave your ego at the door - you'll be amazed how many self-inflated egos you are going to have to negotiate without yours getting in the way, too!

Shyness will help you - even when you present your work at conferences, which you will have to do - an element of nervous energy keeps you on your toes & performing well.

Most of all, just enjoy it. It will be your baby & you will carry it the rest of your life, so make the most of it!

• Thanks for the long detailed replies. I went for the old school so 3 years, straight into the research.
  • Your PhDs sound very different to my own, but then again, mine was an Arts PhD. No office, no computer, no room... but without office hours the people who made it through were the ones who had the drive & self-motivation, which served them very well for post-PhD.

Reflecting upon my own experience, I would have told myself to make more of those years to build the foundations of a network & do more conferences rather than focus 100% on academic study. I immersed myself in books for three years and wrote a great thesis but my issue then was the years it then took to get a job after getting scraps of hourly-paid teaching jobs. However, post-docs and the like are probably far more limited in the arts than the sciences.

I'd say negotiate the egos. People have a lot of fear in academia. At the same time, you never know who can lead you to what. My first teaching break (whilst I was doing the PhD) came of the recommendation of someone with an ego who had their own network that I was able to plug into.

Good luck!!