New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Molly - I don't know about "brain off, brakes off" being a motto for life. Mine is probably "Just do it".

Aquarius - as you'll see below, today's golf wasn't quite as rubbish as last week, but still below average. The physio did remark that shoulders are one of the trickiest things to get sorted and settled down again. The triathlon I mentioned is based at our local Lido and is a 'sprint' event so not long distances at all. Well done re your interval session (chuckled at your recoveries being the same time as the intervals themselves).

RF - I run around town most of the time .. my motivation is to try and lose some weight (or at least not put on any more). Interestingly, the shoulder problem doesn't seem to affect my golf .. but maybe I could blame it for my high scores rather than my lack of expertise :) Yep, the physio hasn't been cheap (£38 for 30 mins) but I've been happy to pay it to find out what's been wrong and what to do to get it sorted.

My golf wasn't quite as erratic as last time but I was still pretty rubbish and 'topping' the ball a lot. We were lucky with the weather - we didn't get rained on. But it was a bitterly cold day and we were wading through quite soggy, muddy ground in places so my golf shoes have turned from black to brown. Lucky I'll be having a playing lesson again next week - I can ask Richard to spot what I'm doing wrong!

No running today as I was playing golf for a change - I'll go to the club run on Thu morning.

• When I am running I have a feel in me that seems to gauge wether I am doing good or crap.
    If there are others about when I am running I tend to use them as targets but if I see no one I tend to be slower.
    The display on the watch will now give me an idea of how well or bad I am doing.

• Good Evening Everyone,

Aquarius, the relay suggestion for a triathlon is a good one. My husband and I are signed up as a relay team for a cycling/running duathlon this spring-assuming that my husband has recovered enough to race after Friday's ablation.

It's too bad that you missed the master's XC signup deadline. But, your running plans for the weekend sound really fun.  It's wonderful that you and your son can run together.  My son is completely and unapologetically anti-running, though he's pretty wonderful in all other respects. And, he had the good sense to find a partner who likes to run, and will occasionally with me :smile:

Great job on your intervals this morning. You and HS are inspiring me. For some reason intervals are my most dreaded workout, and I tend to avoid them. You are really good about taking care of your body by stretching and incorporating yoga into your training.  I really need to follow your lead on that.

RunningFox, I had to chuckle at your wondering how people stay motivated to run in less picturesque areas.  Picture me cutting out your beautiful photos from your blog out, along with WtnMel's walkabout photos, and taping them to the wall in front of my treadmill :smile:  

I wish you luck on your next run. Waving back from across the pond.

• Damien Nagle, the forum seems determined to make me your posts.  Your post showed up right after I just posted. 

Does your watch have a 'race' option? I think HS and WtnMel mentioned it before.  I don't use it much because I tend to get a little obsessive, but it can be a really good motivating factor. It lets you know how your current run is stacking up to a previous performance while you are running.   
  • I don't think it has a race option but it has a  run or training option.
    All my stats up load onto strava and I am trending average....lol
  • Afternoon all,

WtnMel, When I said "have you been watching it on TV," I meant to say "the bowls!" I don't have Sky Sports either, just Freeview. The BBC will be discontinuing the "red button" fairly soon which will be very sad, as a lot of sport is shown on it. 
    Hope the exercises you are doing for your shoulder are helping. My physio who I saw for my knee charged £35 per half hour, and that was with a 10% discount for my club membership. I only had 4 appointments, as he said that I could do all the stretches etc myself, and there was no point paying unnecessarily.
    Your golf match must have been tough in those muddy conditions.
    Good luck with your club run tomorrow.

Molly, thanks, I'm really lucky having the forest to train in, even though it can be challenging with the mud and water.
    Hope you are able to incorporate interval training into your schedule soon. Tempo and fartleks are also great for improving pace.

Aquarius, I think that you would find "Trail Running" a better magazine than "Runners World," so if you see it in your newsagent, I would give it a try.
    A shame that you weren't able to sign up in time for the Masters cross country, as I'm sure that you would have found it a great experience. Good luck with the parkrun with your son, and also the Gibside Great Run 5k. Glad you agree that off road is preferable to tarmac. Falls don't hurt as much.
    Well done for the yoga and intervals. I'm not surprised that your legs were sore after the yoga. Good luck for tomorrows longer run.

Runningfox, glad to hear that you enjoyed Sunday's run, and hope to gradually build on the mileage. I've always enjoyed my running, and the same as you, even when training for specific races.
    That parkrun where I did my 50th has 3 hills and is quite tough. Especially now that the tree fellers lorries have churned up the mud. Well done for running a hilly parkrun aged 85. I hope I can do the same if I live that long.

Damien, I agree that a gut feeling is an accurate way of gauging your performance. I don't rely too much on my Garmins readings except for distance, mile splits and total time. I find the heart rate readings to be very inaccurate. Slow runs often registering an higher average rate than those where I have pushed the pace. It's good that the garmin syncs with Strava. Mine also syncs with fetcheveryone.

I did a very tough spin session yesterday morning. It was mainly hill climbs, but the sting in the tail was that we finished with 2 sets of 8 x 20 second sprints with 8 second recoveries. A killer after the hills.
    In the afternoon, I met up with Alice and baby Rosie in the lovely little tea shop in the village, for tea/coffee and cake. Rosie sat on Alice's lap and was smiling all the time. When we had finished. Alice put Rosie in the buggy and we went for a lovely walk round the Marina. Rosie soon went off to sleep.
    This morning I ran 5 miles on roads with Sarah H. She had only returned a couple of days ago from skiing  in Italy, so her legs were tired. Mine were too, after the spin, so a steady pace suited us both.
    This afternoon I had an appointment with the Hygienist.
  • Hi Everyone,

HS, Your description of tea with Alice and baby Rosie is lovely. I can't wait for my son and his partner to have kids :smile: 

Your spin class really sounds like a worthwhile training endeavor. I can imagine that your legs were tired today.  Good job on holding a steady pace!

I am going to be off the thread for a few days. Brian's heart procedure is on Friday in Boston, and there are a lot of details to sort out. I hope everyone has some really fun runs and lots of sunshine. I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's adventures when I'm back on Sunday or Monday.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Damien - my experience is I'm often mistaken if I think I'm having a good run. If I'm out training I tend to ignore other runners (apart from a quick wave and hello). But in races, I often 'latch on' to runners in front and try to overhaul them.

Molly - like Damien, my Strava stats usually show me I'm fairly average and not as fast as a few years ago :) Best wishes for the next few days with Brian's procedure - see you on the other side of the weekend.

HS - ahh, I see (about watching bowls on tv rather than golf). I hadn't realised they were doing away with the red button - I thought it was just the red button text service that was going, not the additional tv programming they have on there? I think it's the same with my physio - I now have the exercises so there's no point them seeing me (or me paying more money) as doing the exercises should sort things. Yes, with all this mud, the golf ball doesn't run along the ground and when it lands, it invariably 'plugs' itself in the mud and can be even harder to find than usual! Well done re the spinning and road run.

This morning's club run went well. It's a 'social' run so there's a fair bit of looping back and jogging with the slower runners. But I was feeling strong today and was pleased to see on Fetch & Garmin Connect that I was managing close to 10:0mm pace a few times and even had the energy for a finish 'sprint' at nearer 9:00mm pace.

• Molly, I hope Brian's procedure goes well. See you Sunday or Monday.

WtnMel, glad that your club run went well today. That's very impressive, how you have improved your pace. You said earlier that you wanted to lose some weight, so you are going the right way about it. I imagine your Garmin showed that you had burned off a respectable number of calories.

Weather was miserable this morning. Heavy rain, strong biting winds and very cold. I did 6 miles fartlek which I didn't enjoy in the conditions.
  • Good afternoon all,

Runningfox, when I lived at the coast I did all my running on pavements. I used to try to get out early in the morning, before work, so I could avoid most of the traffic (and pedestrians) but it was pretty boring running past houses, shops, schools etc. The best part of my run was along the sea front watching the sun rise over the sea, that was the closest I ever felt to nature. However since moving a couple of years ago to a more rural location I’ve done a lot more off-road running, and I love it. It feels like “proper” running to me, and gives a feeling of being free and (dare I say) young again. I felt the same way when I started to do cross country. I’m never going to be fast at XC but I do enjoy it, mud, hills and all. 

HS, I heard yesterday that the BBC’s red button text service has been reprieved at the last moment, I hope this means the sport content will also remain. I often watch triathlons on the red button and would be really upset if it wasn’t available. Which reminds me - what happened to the televising of the International Cross Country this month? The BBC used to show it when it was held in Edinburgh, then it moved to Stirling in 2019, but it was still shown by the BBC. This year I believe the only coverage was online, which I managed to miss. I’ll look out for Trail Running when I’m at the shops tomorrow and see if I can get a copy. Well done for managing a 5 mile run after such a punishing spin session the day before. Your trip to the tea shop with Alice and her baby, and your walk around the Marina afterwards, sounds lovely, a very pleasant and relaxing way to finish off your day after that spin session.

Molly, when I lived at the coast and went to club training twice a week we did quite a lot of interval sessions, but now I rarely get over to the club and have become rather lazy as regards my training routine. As a consequence I’ve lost a lot of pace since moving here, which can’t solely be put down to being two years older. It’s very frustrating, but of my own making. Thanks to the internet I know what sessions the club has planned each week, and I keep meaning to replicate the same session myself, but somehow I rarely find the motivation. It really does make a difference going to a club training night with other runners and just getting on with it. I remember we often used to say after a hard session that we were glad we’d made the effort to go, as we’d never have pushed ourselves to do such a challenging session on our own.
    I hope everything goes well for you on Friday, I’ll be thinking of you both. Will your husband have to stay in hospital overnight or can he come straight home? When Steve had his ablation he was due to come home the same day, but because his procedure was delayed until teatime he was kept in overnight for observation. Reading on I see you mention that the hospital is in Boston, is that very far from where you live, I imagine that may mean you will be staying over? We were lucky in that Steve’s hospital was only a half hour drive away. 

WtnMel, maybe golf is similar to running, in that you can go through a spell of running well and enjoying it, then for no apparent reason you have a run where it's a struggle or you’re off the pace. Fortunately that tends to be short lived and you quickly get back to your usual form. Perhaps that will be the case with your golf game? It sounds like the conditions were against you anyway on Tuesday, wading through soggy ground can’t have helped. Hope your lesson with Richard next week will get you back on track. I’ve just seen your latest post where you say your club run went well this morning, it sounds like your pace is improving all the time. It must be this busy sporting life you lead :D

We had a weather warning this morning for winds of 40-60mph (or 60-70 mph, depending on which forecast you listened to) from 1pm onwards, so after a walk to the shops this morning I set out for a long run before it got too windy. Yet again Garmin played up and wouldn’t get the satellites for almost a mile, but after that seemed ok. After about 3 miles I decided to turn back as the wind was getting rather too gusty and the trees were creaking in an alarming way. The last mile on the return leg back home was a bit of a struggle, then shortly after I got home the wind really picked up. It’s still very noisy as I type this. I’ve no doubt there’ll be some damaged trees tomorrow. When it gets windy like this we fasten the bins to the garden fence with bungee cords, so after lunch I made sure they were securely fastened. Tomorrow looks like being a milder day, but strong winds are again forecast for Saturday - I hope my parkrun won’t be cancelled!
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello to all Mature Runners.
    I have just worked out that "Molly" and "Nikko's Running Partner" are one and the same person. I couldn't understand why so many people were addressing remarks to Molly, yet "Molly" didn't seem to be posting anything.
    Running Fox - that was a lovely blog, and wonderful pictures. That "suspension bridge" - is it one of those that start bouncing and swinging as soon as you set out to cross it (especially if crossing it at a run)? There's one not far from here, known to the locals as "swingy bridge". It's quite unnerving.
    My attempt at a parkrun in Bristol last Saturday was a bit of a fiasco. We were supposed to do a small loop, then a longer loop, then another small loop, then finish. Somehow I missed getting onto the small loop for the second time, and found myself approaching the finish long before I should have. I said to one of the marshalls that I must have missed something out, but he just pointed me on to the finish. So I got a false reading of 28 minutes (! takes me nearer 40, these days) and had to email the organisers later to tell them to remove my name.
    Is it Zatopek or Zapotek?
    Aquarius - I miss running along the sea front at Aberystwyth, having now retired completely (I used to go there regularly in my part-time working days).
  • Columba:  The Suspension Bridge does indeed bounce and swing, especially when weekend walkers stand in the middle rocking it to its limits thinking what great fun it is.  Little do they realise how much it costs to repair.  But it's a bit unnerving for some people, not to mention dogs, and  we're often held up while folk cross, ever so slowly, holding on to the cables at the side.  More unnerving to me are the stepping stones close by, especially if the river is running fast and one of the stones has been washed away.   I give them a miss now!
    Aquarius: You echo my thoughts beautifully.   I couldn't  keep running into my upper 80's through built up areas with all the traffic fumes and noise.  We have a saying - "Give me the hills" - for it's there we feel alive, where running is natural, to be enjoyed without having to have any reason for doing it, to feel the wind in our faces and sing without folk looking at us as if we're mad, to breathe the pure air of wide open spaces.  And as you say, to feel young again.   
    We've often enjoyed running by the sea at sunrise, on holidays abroad, but our next trip is to the Lake District where we'll be watching the morning sun lighting up Ullswater, looking for aconites blooming at Dalemain, saying 'hello' to the fallow deer and giving the stone bears a friendly pat in the churchyard at Dacre.
  • Aquarius, that sounds like good news regarding the BBC Red Button. I hope it does include all the sporting activities. 
    Hope the high winds didn't cause any structural damage, or fallen trees. 
    I never seem to have any problems with my Garmin picking up the signals. I do wonder sometimes though whether it has lost it briefly, as my pace can occasionally drop quite a bit, whilst I'm maintaining a steady pace, or even increasing it. 
    I hope your parkrun tomorrow won't be cancelled. Two of my local parkruns have been cancelled. I was intending to do the Brockenhurst parkrun at Wilverley Inclosure, but probably won't as runners that would have done the cancelled ones will turn up. We can't really handle more than 300, due to limited parking, narrow trails and the fact that the Inclosure is also used by dog walkers, horse riders etc. The Southampton parkrun usually has over 1,500 runners but isn't normally cancelled.

Columba, a similar thing happened to me a few years ago during the Brockenhurst parkrun in the summer when it is run round the college playing fields. It is 4 laps and I miscounted. After 3 laps I turned off to the finish funnel, but thankfully they called out that I had another lap to go.
    It is Emil Zatopek.

Runningfox, as you would have gathered from my user name, I also enjoy the hills, and run on roads as infrequently as possible. I used to work in the Naval Base in Portsmouth and was able to run along the sea front in Southsea, part of the Great South run. That was fairly flat, but there was always a brisk wind, either on the way out, or return. This was quite good resistance work running into the wind. It wasn't very often that we were able to run along the beach because it was very stony, and the tide had to go out a long way before the sand was available. 

Today is a rest day which is just as well as it has been another wet and windy one, and I'm fed up with it.😬

• Good afternoon everyone,

Columba - Welcome to the “I can get lost at a parkrun” club! I don’t know how many members there are, but I’m one. A few years ago on a family holiday my son and I tried out a new parkrun. One of the volunteers explained the course to us which, like yours, consisted of short and long loops and a bridge you sometimes crossed and sometimes didn’t. It was all too complicated for me so I decided I would just follow the runners ahead, but unfortunately as I approached the bridge some runners went one way and some another. I followed the wrong ones and would have cut my parkrun prematurely short but fortunately my son looked back and put me right. Strangely enough although I finished around my usual time, when the results were put online I was recorded as one of the first finishers with a WAVA in the high nineties. I basked for a few moments in an “if only” feeling, then contacted the organisers. For some reason my correct parkrun result had been mixed up with a rather speedy teenage boy. 
    I hope you are enjoying being fully retired.

Runningfox - We love the Lake District and visit whenever we can. Our last couple of visits have been to Glenridding at Ullswater. While Steve had sailing lessons at the Glenridding Sailing Centre I went out for runs around the lake. We also used to go to Windermere, and saw the air show a couple of times, but they stopped holding it a few years ago. We still visit Windermere occasionally but it’s become too crowded to enjoy, too many people and too many cars. A victim of it’s own success I suppose.  Did you ever do one of the November Trail Runs around Ullswater? They start from Glenridding with a trip on the Ullswater steamer to Howtown, from where you run back to Glenridding along the lake shore. I’ve never done it myself as I’m not sure what a half hour journey on the steamer would be like in November, but they do sound tempting. I think I would be giving your Suspension Bridge a miss, I hate things like that. Whenever I’ve crossed one of those before I’ve always had the misfortune to be on at the same time some clown decides to make it sway as much as possible. I feel sick now just thinking about it.

Molly - I hope the ablation went well, I look forward to your return to the forum once you get a chance to catch up with us all. I don’t get a chance to do parkrun with my son very often as he is usually working on Saturdays, but this week he’s off, and as it is my birthday today (66th) I thought it would be nice to run with him at his local parkrun. He’s quite a good runner, but rarely gets the chance to practice as he works awkward hours, and has a young daughter to ferry back and forwards to school, so it’s difficult to find time to fit in runs too. Luckily we manage to do a few 10ks together through the year (providing they are on Sundays when he is off work). My other son used to run a bit but not these days, he has his own business to run (from home) and between that and his pre-school son he has his hands full. People have such busy lives these days, I’m so grateful I’m retired now.

HS - Fortunately the high winds didn’t cause us any problems on our property, but just around the corner from us there’s a house where some scaffolding has come down. Luckily the parkrun wasn’t cancelled today, although it was quite breezy. A pity that the Brockenhurst parkrun was cancelled, did you manage to find an alternative one to do? This windy weather is a nuisance, good timing though for your rest day. ;)

Today’s parkrun had over 470 runners, which is a lot more than my usual Gibside one. It was very well organised though, however inevitably rather crowded for the first half mile or so until the runners spread out a bit. There were a lot of pacers running and I tried to latch on to the 29 minute pacer, but she seemed to be going too fast and was weaving in and out of runners. I realised after a bit that she was too far back on the course for the predicated time so she had to sprint to get to where she should be in the pack for that finish time, I couldn't keep that up for long so eased back a bit. I regretted trying to keep up as it was more of an effort at that stage of the run than I’d wanted to do and I had to really push hard and concentrate to keep a decent pace going to the finish. In the end I finished at 30.57, which was a bit slower than I’d hoped for, and yet again it was 2 minutes off my pb for that particular course. This is becoming a habit at the moment, all the events I’m doing currently are around 2 minutes slower than my usual time. More speed work needed I think.  :/

• Good afternoon all,

Aquarius, happy birthday🎉🍰 A nice way to celebrate your birthday running a parkrun with your son.

My parkrun wasn't cancelled, there were two other local runs cancelled, which is why I decided not to Brockenhurst, as it would have been very over crowded. The weather was fine today, sunny, dry, but a cold wind. I decided to do a longer run, but at an easy pace. I ran 7.5 miles, not looking at my Garmin, except at each mile. The heart rate monitor was accurate, must have read my post saying it was always higher for slow runs, as it recorded an average heart rate of 122😃 I haven't checked the Brockenhurst web yet to see how many ran. We've never have any pacers at Brockenhurst which is a pity. Probably because the number of runners is low, compared with the bigger fields.

A shame that your pacer didn't maintain the required pace throughout, meaning she had to up her pace to achieve the required finishing time. More speed work should enable you to "eat into the 2 minutes" for your parkruns and other events. I've been working on my speed lately, and hoping to improve my recent parkrun times next week. I will be running it again with Sarah F, all being well, as she returns from 2 weeks cruising in South Africa on Monday.  
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - it was nice to 'feel strong' at last week's club run. Hope it wasn't just a flash in the pan! Garmin Connect classified the training effect of Thu's run as 'highly impacting' :) 

Aquarius - happy birthday for yesterday. If I was fitter I would go running on Cleeve Hill .. but I know I'm not good enough to run up there so am content for now to run around Bishops Cleeve instead. I hadn't heard the red button text service had been reprieved - good news as there were a lot of older people complaining as that's what they use a lot. Must admit I didn't notice the cross country on tv either. I was re-reading my golf lesson notes from last year and can see why I was 'topping' the ball a lot then - I expect I'm repeating the same mistakes! Glad there's not too much damage from those strong winds you wrote about. Maybe you will be one of the first parkrun finishers in your nineties if you're still running then - we can all but hope. I've not been to the Lake District for quite a few years (apart from the fact I walked through it on the C2C in 2014) but have many happy memories of walking holidays based around Buttermere. 

Columba - we're obviously all too lazy to type out Nikkos Running Partner in full each time so if we hadn't found out Molly's name was Molly, we'd probably be abbreviating it to NRP by now. Sorry to hear your parkrun was a fiasco.

RF - not been on too many swinging suspension bridges. But saw a 30min walking programme recently with Shanaz Gulzar(?) called "Yorkshire Walks" - she was near Bolton Abbey and I saw the stepping stones crossing the river and wondered how I'd managed to negotiate them all those years ago without getting wet!

No running since Thu for me as we had a funeral to go to on Friday and we stayed overnight and only came home yesterday. I'm off walking shortly with the Ramblers - an 8.5ml route starting and ending in Winchcombe. Will try and get some photos if the weather is okay (forecast looks good anyway).

Plenty going on this coming week - car being serviced on Tue so I'll run while that's being done; another Rambler's walk on Wed (an 'easy' 4ml one so Margaret is joining me); club run on Thu morning and a U3A Science & Technology meeting in the afternoon; I'm hoping I can arrange a golf lesson for Fri as my friend Alan thought he wouldn't be available to play any day this week.
  • Evening all,

WtnMel, "Highly Impacting," that's impressive, you must be pleased with that.
    I had a couple of holidays in the Lake District many years ago.
    Hope you enjoyed today's walk, and that the weather was kind.
    You've certainly got a busy week coming up!

I ran a steady 8.76 miles this morning. It was sunny and warmer than yesterday, but still a "bit of a nip in the air."
  • > @ANTONYJEFFERY said:
    > My trainers had seen me through nine 10ks and a half marathon plus the training, plus possibly contributing to my archilles issues, so i bought a new pair today. They are Adidas Solarglides. Half price at Sweatshop. I'm doing a 4k in the morning , I'll report back!

Hi there
    I'd be interested to know how you are getting on with the Solarglides. I used to get calf and achilles problems using another brand's shoes, then converted to Supanova and loved them. So was seriously disappointed when I heard they had been replaced with the Solarglide. The new shoe got good reviews so I gave them a go and to me they feel stiffer and less cushioned and after 6 or 7 runs, my calf issues returned. I've emailed Addidas for a full spec comparison and am waiting to hear.
  • WtnMel  I see you’ve got a very busy week coming up, but it’s nice that it includes a walk that Margaret can do with you. I remember those stepping stones at Bolton Abbey, many years ago we went there with friends but I wasn’t brave enough to use the stones to cross the river. They looked far too wobbly for my liking. I hope your 8.5 mile walk yesterday went well.

HS I enjoyed running with my son on Saturday, but it’s not the sort of parkrun I like really, too many people and not a particularly interesting course. It was three laps around a park and alongside a river, quite flat and all on concrete. The paths were quite narrow, so the leading runners had difficulty passing as they lapped us towards the end. Add in the usual quota of dogs and buggies and you can see it was all a bit hectic. It used to be known as a good parkrun to get a PB at, but I think it’s become too crowded for that now. Well done on your 8.76 miles yesterday. 

I didn’t attempt the Gibside Great Run on Sunday as the sole of my left foot felt quite sore after the parkrun, so I thought it best to give Sunday’s run a miss. At the time I couldn’t work out why my sole should be sore. I knew my shoes were new and well cushioned, so they couldn’t have caused it. Later though I realised Saturday was the first time for some months that I’ve run more than a hundred metres or so on concrete, so I’m guessing that could be the reason. I had hoped to run today instead as my foot feels fine now, but we’ve had high winds again since yesterday evening. I walked to the shops this morning but it was quite a struggle and I had to step over a number of fallen branches. The wind is just too strong to attempt a run unfortunately. I’ll try again tomorrow, but having heard the forecast I’m not holding out too much hope.

• Good Morning Everyone,

I tried to read through everyone's posts to catch up, but there were a lot of them. I hope that I didn't miss anything important.

WtnMel, Congratulations on your strong run.  Your pace seems to be picking up quite nicely this winter.  Great job on the strong finish.  I have no doubt that you will soon be averaging a 9 min pace on your parkruns :smile:

I sounds like you will be having a very busy week. I hope that your Ramblers' walk takes you through some more lovely spots, and that your runs continue to feel strong.

HS, I completely commiserate with your dislike of winter winds, and I am glad to read that your last couple of runs were in more pleasant conditions.  I am looking forward to some warm air, as well.  I had to chuckle at your mention of the Portsmouth Naval Base. I live approximately 30 minutes from the Portsmouth Naval Yard on this side of the pond.  

I have my fingers crossed that your speed work will pay off, and that you and Sarah H. will have really strong and fast parkruns this week.

Aquarius, Happy Birthday! And, great job on finishing your run into the head wind.  As much as I don't enjoy strong winds, they do offer an opportunity for training.

Depending on traffic, Boston is a 1-2 hour drive from our house.  Brian had to stay overnight at the hospital.  They went up both legs this time around.  He has to stay very quiet for a week, and, then, is restricted to nothing more than walking for 6 weeks. After that, he will have a stress test and an evaluation to see if the arrhythmia was taken care of this time around. 

Your Gibson parkrun sounds a bit frustrating. I am sorry that your pacer had to start out with a sprint.  I have a friend that volunteers as a pacer for some of the local half marathons. She says that she tries to time her miles so that the first mile comes in at a little under pace so that the runners can ease into the race, and are more likely to finish in the time they hope for.  The fact that you could keep going after the initial sprint, shows that you are really strong. I'm sure that if you keep the initial pace reasonable, you will hit your PB on your next run.

Colomba, Sorry about the confusion. When I introduced myself to the group, I signed with my name 'Molly'.  

RunningFox, this may be a purely American concern, but is your area safe for women who are out running alone?  It is a fairly serious concern over here.  I love the idea of running in solitude through your beautiful hills, but I'm not sure that I would be able to relax, which is kind of sad.  

Brian's hospital stay had it's ups and downs. We brought him home Saturday afternoon, and we hope that he is now on his way to recovery.  I had played with the idea of trying to run a local 5K yesterday. However, that turned out to be a wildly optimistic projection of how I would feeling after his two days in the hospital.  But, I did manage a really easy 3 mile run in the afternoon that helped my mood a great deal.  I tend to get a little cranky when I'm tired.  

Today is a rest day, and I am hoping that it will give me the recovery I need to get in several fairly hard training sessions this week.  I have a 6 mile hill workout planned for tomorrow; a 50 minute tempo run planned for Thursday; and, a 10 mile long run on the half marathon course planned for the weekend, with cross training on the bike scheduled for two of the days. 

Something that I've noticed about recovering from my tendinitis is that my confidence in my ability to complete harder runs has been really shaken, and it is affecting my performance.  I am hoping that the confidence returns over time.

• Evening all,

Aquarius, your parkrun did sound rather chaotic. That is the problem with multi lap routes, the slower runners/walkers get lapped, and the lappers get annoyed by them impeding them. My summer Brockenhurst parkrun is 4 laps round the college playing fields, but there are no pinch points to contend with. The winter run is in Wilverley Inclosure and is just the one lap. It does allow buggies and runners with dogs to partake, and is open to the general public with their dogs, and also horse riders. The college run doesn't allow any of those.

Sorry to hear that you had to give the Gibside Great Run a miss. I think that it was a wise decision though. I hope the winds drop tomorrow, so that you are able to get out for a run. Your sore sole was quite likely to have been caused by running on concrete, after mainly running off road. That is why I try to run in the forest as often as possible.

Molly, that's a coincidence that you live near a Portsmouth Naval Base.

It's Sarah F that I do the parkruns with.

It sounds like Brian is having a tough time of it. I'm hoping that in 6 weeks, his treatment will have been found to have been successful.

I think that you definitely need today's rest day to help you cope with your planned hard training sessions. Your feelings of a lack of confidence to complete harder runs is perfectly natural. I didn't do any speed work for at least 12 months after my meniscus tear, and then only very gradually. I still haven't done any road races; they have all been multi terrain.

I ran 9.5 miles on roads this morning with the two Sarah's. I might be doing the Dibden Doddle on Thursday with Sarah F, and then we intend doing the Wilverley Inclosure parkrun on Saturday. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - it was certainly nice to see that Garmin Connect thought it was a good training session. But I'm going to take the 'highly impacting' suggestion with a pinch of salt like everything else Garmin-connected. Well done re your 9ml run (I rounded it up for you) and yesterdays 9.5ml run.

Aquarius - it was in my youth that I used the stepping stones at Bolton Abbey when we visited The Strid. The walk with the Ramblers was good (see below). It does sound like your sore foot was due to running on a harder surface than you are used to, especially as your shoes are new.

Molly - thanks for your vote of confidence but I don't think I'm going to be getting anywhere near 9 min pace any time soon - getting closer to 10 min pace would be nice start though. Best wishes to Brian for a speedy recovery from his procedure.

Had a lovely, if a little cold, 8.5ml walk with the Ramblers on Sunday. The leader had adjusted the route so that we used more quiet roads and less paths. Which meant the ground underfoot was mostly okay and we only had a bit of mud over the last mile or two. As I was out walking on Sunday, I cooked our 'delayed' Sunday roast yesterday instead.

I dropped my car off at the garage earlier - I'm currently waiting for a call back once it's been serviced.

I've been out for a 5ml run in the meantime. It felt like I was going well at the time but Strava informed me it was fairly average and only 'impacting' (rather than the 'highly impacting' type like last week)  :)

• Aquarius: I've never done the November Trail run you speak of in the Lakes but we did a longer one in that area.  Starting in Patterdale four of us ran beside Ullswater to Howtown where we had a refresher in the hotel before continuing on up Bannerdale to Angle Tarn before dropping back down to Patterdale.  It poured with rain and I particularly remember the four of us, all men, changing into dry clothes in a rocking, steamed up car and being glad my partner hadn't come with us!  
    Wtnmel: Stepping stones frequently get tipped over or even washed away in a flood.  I remember crossing the  River Wharfe, in shorts, and finding one or two none negotiable, so finished up wading and hanging on to the sunken stones for support.  It meant a long detour otherwise.   It was January so my legs were a bit numb by the time I'd crossed.
    Molly:  My partner has been running alone in the Yorkshire Dales for over 30 years, still does, so far without incident.   In the past she would run up to 10 miles in trackless places, often after work as it was coming dark, with no worries.  I haven't heard of anyone being approached or abducted in her neck of the woods but, like me, she avoids roads and cars.
    Hillstrider: Yes, I know you run the hills but didn't think your southern Parkruns could be as hilly as ours.  Believe me, Cliff Castle in Keighley is a killer, one I'll avoid in future.  Interested to hear you ran bits of the Great South Run in a resistant wind.   You wouldn't have got my partner to run with you, she hates the wind and usually sings a little moany song.   I don't mind it, so long as it's dry and isn't driving rain.  It all adds to the great outdoor experience.

WtnMel, thanks. I take no notice of the Garmin Connect observations. For example, after an easy pace run, it will often read "this was harder than your usual efforts," and visa versa. I'm still not up to averaging 9 minute miling on training runs, but have in races.

Sounds like a nice long walk on Sunday, and for you, a disappointing garmin reading for your 5 mile run.

Hope your car service was straight forward, with no unexpected costs.

Runningfox,   you are correct, the hills in the New Forest are like pimples compared with in your neck of the woods! 
    It was always windy along the sea front at Southsea, blowing in one direction or the other.
    When it was high tide, the wind would sometimes blow the waves over the sea wall, which was a bit scary.

This morning was a spinning session which comprised mainly  hill climbing, but concluded with 2 sets of 8 x 20 seconds flat out, with 10 seconds recoveries. 
  • Good Afternoon Everyone,

Thank you to everyone for your best wishes for Brian's recovery. He seems to be doing a better each day.  But, keeping him quiet is a challenge.

HS, I apologize for confusing the Sarahs.  I do like that you have different Sarahs for different types of runs.

I'm glad to know that the anxiety I am feeling around harder runs is natural at this point.  Whenever my legs start feeling really fatigued in a run, I find that I am becoming somewhat irrationally concerned. Though, I am unclear as to what the specific concern is. After all, I am pretty sure that my legs won't actually fall off me, or give out completely. I suspect that I'll start trusting my legs again, as I start pushing them over time.  

Great job on your 9.5 miler this morning.  My fingers are crossed for your parkrun times this week.  

WtnMel,  Your walks with the Ramblers sound really delightful.  Good job on mostly avoiding the mud.  

It sounds like you are pretty close to gaining a consistent 10 min pace. I bet it will sneak up on you without your realizing it. 

I always find it very irritating when my Garmin informs me that what I thought was a really tough workout only had a moderate impact on my fitness, or, even worse, only maintained it.  Whether or not the algorithm for the workout impact is bunk, my dysfunctional dependency on my Garmin means that I really enjoy the affirmation of 'highly impacting'.  

RunningFox, It is heartening to hear of lovely spots where it is safe to run alone.  In a few years, we hope to be able to relocate for our winter months. I am already looking for that spot in the US that has the magical forests such as HillStrider runs in, and glorious countryside as is shown in your photos.  However, I'm not sure that there is any spot in the US where I will feel comfortable running completely alone. 

I saw in your bio that you had quite an achievement in the Fell Running Championship.  I always wanted to try a fell race. I read about them a few years ago and they sound quite fun and quite difficult.  

• oops, I forgot to add:

I did a six mile, hill training, treadmill run this morning.  I didn't quite manage to run all of the percent increases as planned. I had to make it a little easier for the fifth mile.  But, all in all, I'm pleased. It was a definite improvement from a year ago.
  • ...Ugh, not a 'year ago'...'a month' ago :#
  • Good afternoon 

Molly, nice to see you back again. Poor Brian seems to have had a rough time of it. I hope he’s feeling a bit better now, it must be very frustrating for him to have to take things easy for a week, although I remember Steve feeling very tired for a week or so after his ablation, so perhaps Brian will be quite glad of the chance to rest. It’ll be a tiring time for you too, so don’t feel bad if you have to scale back your training for a week or so. 

Runningfox I had to laugh at your description of your Ullswater run that ended up with the four of you trying to get changed in a steamed up car. I bet it gave any passing locals the wrong idea! Stopping off for refreshments at Howtown made me smile too, it sounds like it was a very enjoyable run. It’s good to hear that your partner has run solo in the Dales for over 30 years without incident. I must admit I’m with Molly in that I’m always a bit nervous when I’m out in a fairly remote location and I see a man ahead of me.  I tell myself that he’s doubtless just enjoying a walk, but I’m nervous until I’m past him and then I’m listening intently for any footsteps behind me for the next few minutes, ready to sprint off if necessary. Silly really, I know, but you can’t be too careful these days.

WtnMel - Garmin says my hill repeats session on Tuesday (see below) was “highly impacting” and my run today was “impacting”. My last slow run was “highly impacting” and Saturday’s parkrun where I really pushed myself was only “impacting” so I take those judgements with a pinch of salt. I can’t place too much credence in a device that cannot even find the satellites for the first part of my runs, and gives HR readings that seem a bit crazy. Lower on hills and faster running than for my (gentle) warm ups.
     Well done on another 8.5 mile walk. “Sunday” lunch is nice any day of the week. :)

HS did you decide to do the Dibden Doddle today with Sarah F? Well done on another challenging spin session, and your 9.5 miles on roads with both Sarahs.

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. We are going out tonight for a family meal to celebrate. It’s a bit late but it was the first date that fitted in with everyone’s babysitting arrangements. 

On Tuesday I went to our local park and did some hill repeats. Today I was working on speed, a warm up then 5 minutes fast running, 5 minutes slow, 4 minutes fast, 4 minutes slow, 3 minutes fast, 3 slow, finishing off with 2 fast and 2 slow then a cool down. It doesn’t sound like much when I type it, but it felt like hard work doing it. That may partly have been due to my not sleeping well last night and having little energy today. 9It could also be due to my forgetting to include one minute recoveries between sets. :D )

Molly, I suppose it must be a bit confusing with the two Sarah's. Lucky that their surnames don't begin with the same letter😁

Well done for your 6 mile hill training on the treadmill, which you say was a definite improvement from a month ago. It's always very satisfying when you are able to feel the improvements.

Aquarius, I also chuckled at Runningfox's remarks about 4 people changing in a steamed up car. It reminded me of the lunchtime runs we used to do when I worked in the Establishment at the top of Portsdown Hill. One of the runs passed a rather obscured lay by where sometimes a car would be parked that was rocking. Obviously not a married couple😮 

Yes, I did the Dibden Doddle this morning with Sarah F and about a dozen other club mates. We ran 8.26 miles in the forest. It was bright and sunny , but 30 degrees Fahrenheit on my Garmin. The ground was still very muddy, with thin layers of ice in the many puddles, which cracked underfoot. 

Hope you enjoy this evenings family meal, to celebrate your recent birthday.

Your training on Tuesday and today was very impressive and will certainly produce results. I don't know how you could forget the one minute recoveries between sets🤨 The recoveries are one thing that I never forget, as I need them!

As mentioned above, I ran the Dibden Doddle this morning, and yesterday ran an uneventful 6.6 miles on roads.
  • Good evening everyone,

Aquarius,  Brian goes back to work on Monday :smile: Yay! I admit I am a bit tired of playing nursemaid. I can't imagine how you managed everything at Christmas, with Steve recovering from the ablation procedure and the holiday.  Plus, if I remember correctly, you weren't feeling well. It must have been quite difficult. I am glad that you are on the other side of all of that.  While Brian won't be able to ride his bike or strength train, he will be able to walk as much as he wants for the next 5-6 weeks. And, then, they will give him a detailed plan for ramping up his activities again.  My fingers are crossed that this ablation takes!  How is Steve doing?

Congratulations on your interval training session, though I'm not sure it counts as intervals if you skip the recovery periods. I'm pretty sure that you've graduated into an altogether harder level of training! How is your foot feeling?

I hope that you have a wonderful birthday dinner with your family this evening.  I'm pretty sure that you deserve double helpings of cake after today's workout!

HS,  Well done on the Dibden Doddle with a temperature of 30F.  Now, I don't have any excuse to avoid my long run this weekend, when the temperature here is supposed to be about the same. When do you expect the temperature to start warming up where you are?  

How was the book about Zatopek? Did you enjoy it as much as you had hoped? (Thanks to Columbo for making me realize my misspelling of his name.)

In my head I am now thinking of the two Sarahs as Marathon Sarah (H) and Parkrun Sarah (F) :smiley:

We were snow free for a few days this week and I had hopes of getting outside for a tempo run this afternoon. However, It started snowing last night, followed by icy sleet for most of the morning. By the afternoon everything was covered with 6-12" of icy sludge.  So, I chose the treadmill over the outdoors for my run. For the sake of my sanity, I converted the 50 minute run from a boring steady tempo pace into a progression run, where I increased my pace at 5 minute intervals for the first 30 minutes and then reversed the progression for the next 20 minutes.  Halfway through the run I began to feel a little nauseous, and I had to stop running for a few seconds.  I strongly suspect that the unwell feeling was due to my incredibly poor choice of choosing a really heavy and spicy bean stew for my lunch before I got on the treadmill.  

Tomorrow is a rest day, and I hope to get outside for a 10 mile long run on either Saturday or Sunday.