New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Good evening all,

Molly, I think you would like a Garmin with the hr monitor in the device. Mine is a forerunner 235. The update is the 245 which has more "bells and whistles" and allows you to stream music into it. I haven't bothered yet, as mine does all that I want. I used to use an Ipod shuffle until the battery "died." I have run without music ever since.

I do feel that I am getting stronger with all the running in adverse conditions. The wind and rain show no signs of abating. We haven't had any snow it the south yet, but it has been quite heavy further north.

Sorry to hear how uncomfortable your new tracksters were, causing you chaffing. Vaseline is ideal for the usual chaffing regions. Little children are very observant and don't realise how embarrassing their innocent comments can be. 

Good to hear that your shoe inserts seem to be "doing the trick." Good luck with your tapering up to the half marathon.

Aquarius, I definitely recommend that you get a new Garmin with optical heart rate monitor in the device, working on the pulses in your wrist. Regarding picking up a signal, I've never had any problems with that. Older models used to take at least 2 minutes.

Well done for yesterdays run. Those conditions sounded rather scary, but thinking positively, would have benefited your stamina.

Sorry to hear about your 4 inches of snow this morning, and hope that it has stopped now? Hope your 5k tomorrow won't be cancelled!

Weather here is still wet and very windy, and Jane and I ran 10.1 miles this morning on a hilly road route. We had decided that we would push the pace, despite the wind, and maintained a good pace throughout.

• Good evening all,

Another wet and windy day with a few minutes of light hailstones.

A spin session this morning and another mixture of hill and flat work. I managed to get up to 101 rpm's during the HIIT sprints. Very pleased with this, as it has been several weeks since I managed to get above the mid eighties.😂
  • I’ve just flagged that spammer. Just about to go to my 5k. 
    Well done HS, for that tremendous effort at your spinning class.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - funnily enough, I was going back through some old GoPro footage yesterday and found some film from when I did the Ridgeway Run in 2016. I'll try and 'grab' some images from the film and post them on here to give a flavour of the course. Re 'Parasite' .. yes, it was enjoyable as well as interesting. Well done re your 9.6ml run and bet you were happy the rain stayed away. Well done also re yesterday's 10ml run and today's spin session where you breached the 100rpm target. 

Molly - I wouldn't throw away a Garmin (I still keep my old Forerunner 305 "just in case"). The rain just doesn't seem to have stopped lately - lots of areas have been affected and for instance, Tewkesbury which is near us, only had one road into town open last week. One of the reasons for doing the Ridgeway Run is my family live there so I have a travelling cheerleader squad as there's parking available a couple of points around the route. My brother-in-law drives the family to the 3ml and 6ml points to cheer me as I pass and then they rush back to cheer me over the finish line too. I'm not sure that recovery from slipping on the mud was graceful - just very useful and saved me getting dirty. Sorry to hear you suffered from chaffage with those new running pants. A few years ago (after problems with chafing) I discovered Nike 2-in-1 shorts that have lycra inners and are longer length .. chafing problems are not an issue nowadays (my Ron Hill tracksters have never given me problems either). One of my running friends always enjoys her taper (or tapir as she jokingly refers to it) and she also seems to enjoy the excuse of eating cake (or cayke as she calls it) and claims she needs to build up her strength before her race :)

Aquarius - I wish I'd plumped for the Science or Mathematics foundation course. I wanted to study something different - but it was much too different for my liking (and I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought the Social Science was just rather obvious stuff made over-complicated). I would have needed a camera team following me a la Bradbury to catch my recovery on film. My old Garmin (Forerunner 305) was struggling to get satellite signals which is why I bought the newer Forerunner 230. I did do a factory reset on the old Garmin and that made it better at picking up the satellites. I keep it as a backup and as I may have mentioned before, the old one has a 'virtual partner' function the new one doesn't have. Glad to read you got past the exposed parts of yesterday's run without being blown around too much. Luckily here "darn sarff" we haven't had any snow - I hope for your sake the promised rain has melted it all away. Good luck with tonight's 5k run.

At Sunday's swim, despite my earlier 7.5ml walk, I surprised myself by managing my usual 32 lengths - go me! :) The sauna was out of action so it was just the steam room that was working - it was very busy and very cosy in there as you can imagine with twice as many people as usual trying to squeeze in.

I had to replace the bulb in our cooker this morning - sod's law dictated that the glass broke away from the screw-in base so I had to resort to my long-nosed pliers to 'persuade' the remains of the bulb out. I've put a new bulb in and I added a bit of vaseline to the screw base hoping that means when it needs replacing, it won't be stuck fast like the old one was. I can tell I was doing that bulb-replacing this evening - with the bending and stretching I had to do (including getting  my head right inside the cooker to see what I was doing) the muscles around my ribs are sore from the twisting and pulling I was doing this morning.

Margaret recently joined Bishops Cleeve U3A. The new chairman invited her and some other new members round to his house for a "hello & get to know you" session. As I'm relatively new I was invited too - and could be found eating 'nibbles' and drinking wine at 11am this morning! And that was well before the sun was over the yard-arm! :)

To make up for drinking wine so early in the day I went for a run this afternoon. It was a bit faster than my usual pace so I'll class it as a tempo run. Trying to get home before I got rained on probably helped.

I've flagged that spammer too so hopefully they'll soon disappear ..
  • Good Afternoon Everyone,

Aquarius, Please be careful with the terrible weather that you are having. I am very impressed that you managed your run in such awful conditions, but the thought of you being blown away is not a good one.  I am so glad that your weather was good enough for your 5K to go on as scheduled tonight.  It occurred to me as I was typing that sentence that, while it is still late afternoon here, it is probably near 11 pm where you are, and the 5k has already been run.

I am seriously considering purchasing a new Garmin, as well.  But, I need to do a little more research. However, I plan to follow HS's recommendation of a Garmin with a wrist monitor.  

HS, Does your Garmin allow texts and calls from you phone to show up on the screen?  That is a feature that I find very helpful in day to day life.  

The chaffing was a bit of a surprise for me, as that isn't a runner's issue that I am prone to, and have rarely experienced.  It is also an experience that I hope never to repeat.  I am glad that I tried the running pants out before the half marathon.  

Good job on your windy 10 mile run, and major props for your spin session. That is impressive.  I assume that your instructor was facing the class this week?  

I had planned to go out for a really easy 6 mile run today. However, it started sleeting after after 3 miles, so I decided to turn toward home, when I had the opportunity.  When the winds started picking up, I decided to end the run at 4 miles, and walk the remaining quarter mile home, rather than struggle into a really strong head wind that was driving sleet straight at me.  Sadly, it looks like I should have persevered through the weather in preparation for the HM.  The early forecast is predicting alternating sleet/rain and very high winds.  As long as the roads don't ice, we should be good.  
  • Oops, WtnMel, Our posts crossed. You are up late!  Great job on your tempo run!  With all of your different activities, you are probably more rounded in your fitness than most runners.  

How frustrating to have your bulb break in your oven.  I am glad that you were able to fix it without tweaking your back, or neck, or shoulders. Is 'sod's law' similar to 'Murphy's law'?

The Ridgeway run with all of your family really does sound like a hoot! How nice of them to come support you :smile:  I bet it leads to really strong finish times when you are getting cheered along the course.  

I agree that I shouldn't toss my Garmin, but I am looking at replacing it.  However,  lately monitoring the HR doesn't seem to be so important.  I'm still not as strong as I was pre tendinitis, and I just don't seem to hit zone 5.  Avoiding unintentionally hitting zone 5 was one of the reasons for using the Garmin. But my legs don't seem to be strong enough for it to be a problem right now.  

Ha! Your friend has the right idea about the cayke :smile: Personally, I tend to get twitchy during a taper. But, the HM is a pretty short taper, and I'm not exactly expecting stellar results for this race.  It's kind of a check in point to see if I am recovered enough from the tendinitis to start a marathon training plan in a couple of weeks.  
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Molly - we've obviously got different perspectives re technology. Call me a luddite but I've never felt the need to have a Garmin (or other type of smart watch) that allows texts and calls to show up on the watch screen. I can't see the problem with looking at the phone itself. They do say never run a race in gear you haven't previously tested on a run beforehand. Yep - I am a bit of a night owl at times so I was posting late. And yes, those two 'laws' are one and the same :) I certainly speed up at the points where my family are cheering me on at the Ridgeway Run - I can slow down a bit after I'm out of sight again :)

I said I would grab some images of the Ridgeway Run I did in 2016. The first one is of me at the 3ml point, just after we've climbed up the path through the woods onto the wooded ridge path (my Mum and Sister just ahead of me on the right - my Sister taking photos) ..

Here I am at the 6ml point - you can see the end of the wooded ridge in the background that we ran along and the slope down from the woods (just below the treeline) and the path we follow at the edge of the field to where we cross the road ..

And just after that climb in the 2nd photo, when you think the hills have finished, you have this one to contend with (followed by an undulating path through woods) before you get back to the flat section where you started!

• Good morning all,

Aquarius,I've also flagged the spammer and it has now disappeared. It takes 5 flags to take effect. Thanks for your comments on my spin session.

WtnMel, thanks for the photos of the Ridgeway Run, it looks like my sort of run!

My Garmin also doesn't have a "virtual partner" function. I used to use it quite a lot on my earlier Garmin.

Well done for Sundays swim, very impressive after your 7.5 mile walk.

Your tussle with the bulb in the oven sounds very tricky, especially having to put your head right in side the oven.

Good to hear that Tuesdays run was quicker than usual.

Molly, yes my Garmin forerunner 325 does show messages on the screen whilst blue tooth is turned on. I find this useful in doors, as I wear it all day, and get alerts whenever a message or email is sent to my phone. Obviously I don't have the phone with me all the time indoors, so can see whether or not the message is important and not needing immediate action. It works during a run, but only, of course, if I have the phone with me. I very seldom run with my phone though, as I don't want distractions putting me off.

Thanks for your comments on my run and spin session. Yes Shona was facing us from her bike on the stage this time.

Conditions for your run on Tuesday sounded really hostile. I don't blame you for walking the last part of your run, rather than struggling into the headwind and sleet.

I'm not feeling 100% today, possibly the start of a cold. I haven't had one for many months, so am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't develop. I decided not to run as a precaution, but typically, it is dry and sunny. Sods law, I suppose.😢

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - if you're interested in the Ridgeway Run, I'll try and make sure I let you know when entries open (probably in May). It's usually the 2nd weekend in October so this year, probably being run on Sun 11th. I used to love running against myself with my old Garmin when I did the same route as before. Hope that cold lurgy you think you are getting amounts to nothing.

I ran with the club this morning - the weekly pub2pub run with 2-for-1 hot drinks afterwards at The Exmouth. Today there was a group of old people sitting at 'our' table - luckily it wasn't too busy in there today so we were able to find a suitable alternative big table for the 12 of us ;)
  • Good Evening Everyone,

WtnMel, Thank you for posting the wonderful pictures of the Ridgeway Run. I have never run a race in surroundings like that. It is simply beautiful!  

The idea of a pub-to-pub run is a hoot!  And, 2 for 1 hot drinks sounds very nice :D 

It is kind of funny that you call yourself a luddite compared to me.  Most of the people that I know professionally, accuse me of being a luddite quite frequently.  I am planning on quoting you the next time the name is lobbed at me :smile: Like HS, I find that I wear the watch during the day, and I can't always easily stop what I'm doing to pick up the phone. With the watch, I can easily tell if a call/text/or email is important enough that I need to stop my work.  

HS, Oh dear, I do hope that you are feeling better.  Having a cold in good running weather is no fun whatsoever.  

I am planning on investing in a new Garmin, but I'm not sure if I should purchase it before the HM or after the HM.  I am a firm believer in not introducing new things right before a race, but my current Garmin seems to give me odd data that doesn't always make sense. While I don't expect the HM to be stellar performance, it is supposed to serve as a baseline for my marathon training, and I would like accurate data. Do you have any thoughts on whether to run with a new or old Garmin? 

Please stay warm, rested and hydrated until you feel better!

I had planned on a 60 minute tempo run today. However, my week became suddenly really busy, and I only had time for a half hour run which was fine.  We had a major wind advisory today, so the run was on the treadmill, which was frustrating.  Now that I have been able to get outside a for a few run,  the treadmill is much less appealing.  
  • hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Good morning all,

WtnMel, thanks, where exactly is the Ridgeway Run? Thanks also for your wishes about my possible lurgy. It doesn't seem to have amounted to anything, but am having another rest day to be on the safe side. Just as well I'm not running, as it's hammering down with rain, yet again.🌧

What a cheek, old people sitting at "your table!" I feel the same when someone is sitting "on my spin bike!"

Molly, thanks, yes I am feeling better today, but not running as mentioned in my post to WtnMel above. I've walked to my local supermarket, and am now indoors in the warm and about to start cooking my lunch.

Regarding racing with a new or existing Garmin, I would say that it depends really on the sort of results you are wanting. If its just the mile splits and total race time, and you are not too bothered about the accuracy of the heart  and VO2 max readings, then I would say to stick with the existing one until after the race.

Sorry to hear that you had to run on the treadmill because of the advisory wind warning, but I suppose that it was better than nothing.

I meant to say that I noticed the blue tooth on my Garmin had somehow turned itself off this morning. I turned the Garmin off and then back on again, which turned the blue tooth on again. I supposed that rebooted it😁
  • Good Evening All,

HS, I'm happy that your 'lurgy' (new word to me :smiley:) seems to be on the mend. I'm not totally sure that I'm using the word correctly.  Good job on taking another day off. How are you feeling today? Is your weather still on the upswing?

I have a couple piece of news to share:

1) I have ordered a new Garmin.  I'm afraid that I went a little crazy.  The professional opportunity that had seemingly fallen through a week ago, came back to life quite suddenly. I was feeling a bit giddy and flush when I was comparing models, and I am afraid that I lost my head.  I am a little embarrassed to say that I went the whole length and purchased the Garmin Forerunner 945, and an RD pod to go with it.  I have a whole list of rationals to justify the purchase, but you guys are way to smart to buy into them, so I'll spare you the excuses :blush: Anyway, according to Garmin it is supposed to arrive on Monday, which seems super fast.  I am very excited.  I will have a week to set it up and tweak it before the HM.  I decided that since I want to use the HM as a base line to build my marathon training off of, it made sense to run it with the watch that I will be training with. Hopefully, the data will be consistent.

2) On a health note that might be useful.  I saw my doctor last week.  During the visit, she noted that I had gained a chunk of weight this year. I explained about my injury and the cutback in my running, but also that the weight wasn't coming off.  There were some other questions and answers confirming low energy levels, and feeling mentally sluggish that resulted in my doctor ordering a series of blood tests.  It turns out that I have low thyroid. According to the lab results, things are pretty off and must have been for a while.  One of the things that I discussed with my doctor was my frustration with trying to get my fitness back.  It seems that the low thyroid can affect muscle strength and lowers the heart rate.  My doctor was absolutely confident that it was playing a role in lowering my fitness.  Tomorrow morning, I start taking a synthetic thyroid, and I should be feeling more the thing in 10 -14 days ( not quite soon enough for the HM).  The reason that I am posting about this is that if my doctor hadn't figured it out, I would never have thought to have my thyroid tested. I would just continue wondering why my weight wasn't coming off, and why I wasn't fully coming back after the injury.  It was a good reminder to get things checked out if they aren't making sense.

I'm down in Boston tomorrow, but I have an 8 mile run planned for Sunday.  
  • Damien NagleDamien Nagle ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Morning all.
    Parkrun day again and I have the day off so I'm doing it. The Conditions seem dire just like last week giving us 40mph winds with a 44% chance of rain.
    I will check back later to say how I got on.

• Good afternoon all,

Damien - well done on another good parkrun time despite the roaring winds! I don’t know about you, but I’ll really be glad to see the back of this stormy wintery weather.

Runningfox: I see you’ve posted another lovely blog report about your running. I agree with you about the weather forecasts being rather inaccurate at the moment, we’ve been caught out too. I hope both you and your lovely partner are none the worse for getting caught in that snowy weather, not to mention getting ankle deep in water and mud. I love your final photo (the view from your house?) with deep lying snow, a similar sight greeted us last Monday when we woke up. Our snow has all melted now, well nearly all, and although we’re still getting the occasional snow shower it isn’t lying, but it is still bitterly cold and very windy. I always believe in counting your blessings as there is always someone worse off than you are, so when I start moaning about the weather I remember those poor people dealing with the floods and realise we’ve got off pretty lightly really.

Molly: Congratulations on your new Garmin purchase (and the great news that your professional opportunity came back to life :) ). I believe the 945 has had some very good reviews, we’ll all be looking forward to hearing what your own views are after you’ve had it a few weeks. I’m sorry to hear you’re having some health problems, but at least you’ve got to the bottom of it and now know why you’ve been struggling to get your fitness back. Fingers crossed that the medication will help to get you back to full fitness in no time. I hope the weather for your HM isn’t as bad as it’s forecast to be. At least you won’t be worrying too much about times, as you’ve said you are using it as a check point for assessing what tweaks you need to make for your marathon training. Nevertheless to run over 13 miles in cold sleety weather is no joke, remember to take it easy, you don’t want to aggravate your achilles injury.

WtnMel: that Ridgeway Run looks really good, if it wasn’t so far away I might have considered doing it myself. I used to use the Garmin virtual partner when I was training for HMs but I rarely bother with it now. Well done on completing your 32 lengths in the pool after your walk earlier in the day. Pity about the sauna being out of action though. We used to go to a gym that had a pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. We tended to avoid the jacuzzi as most of the people who used it rarely bothered to shower before getting in, but we did enjoy the sauna and steam room. I quite miss them now. Funnily enough the light on our cooker stopped working a couple of days ago, it must be catching! I hope your ribs are feeling better now. I hadn’t realised that drinking a glass of wine before running makes you faster, that’s obviously where I’m going wrong.  ;)

HS: I’m sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather. It’s a good idea to take a couple of days off running, particularly when it is so cold and miserable outside. 
    Your forerunner 325 must have a good battery life if you wear it all the time. When I ran half marathons I had to make sure my 610 was fully charged before using it. (Now that I think about it, I’ve had that 610 for over 6 years, so perhaps it is time I invested in a new one)

My club GP 5k on Tuesday was my best time (apart from one) for the last two years, which was a bit of a surprise. As usual I managed to pass a few runners who’d set off ahead of me (we set off according to our handicap times) but I was caught by about half a dozen others in the last 500m. The good thing about this club race is the handicapping system and scoring take account of everyone’s age and ability, so in theory we all have an equal chance of performing well. Fortunately I usually do score quite well on account of this, appearing in the results table above a lot of the better, but younger, runners which is very encouraging. On Tuesday though I hadn’t realised how well I was running, I hadn’t a lot of energy that evening so I took it steadily (as I thought) and was delighted when a marshal told me about 600m from end that I was 7th at that point, but as I’ve said I was overtaken by about half a dozen runners after that. I really couldn’t push any harder as I was done in, but I did manage a sprint at the end to hold off a pursuer. The following day I felt the sniffles coming back (which is probably why I didn’t have much energy for the 5k the previous evening) and I haven’t run since, partly because I didn’t feel great, but also because I’ve been really busy. I was going to do parkrun today but decided against it as the forecast wasn’t good, but instead I’ve done an hour’s yoga. I'm keeping fingers crossed that I can get out for a run tomorrow, weather permitting.
  • I will be glad to see the back of the gales and then try and get under the 24 minute mark.
  • Evening all,

Molly, I felt much better yesterday and did a short tempo pace run. Just 4.5 miles, but I put a lot of effort in. It was very windy and I was battling the vicious cross wind and stinging hail stones as I was running round the Marina, parallel to Southampton Water.

Good to hear that your professional opportunity has come to light again, and I don't blame you for splashing out on an upmarket Garmin. I've just had a look on u tube at the 945 and it does indeed look to be an excellent device. It seems to be simpler to set up  than earlier models, and there are several helpful videos. I wish you luck with it. I'm sure it will meet all your requirements.

Interesting to discover that a low thyroid was the reason why you haven't been able to lose the weight you required. Hope the treatment does the trick and helps you to quickly regain lost fitness.

Hope your 8 miler went well today?

Damien, well done for your 24.35 parkrun in very windy conditions. That's the sort of time I was running before my injury in June 2017, but although I am still improving my pace, don't think that I will get below 25 minutes again.

Aquarius, thanks. The couple of days off did help and I did a 4.5 mile tempo run yesterday. I felt much better afterwards.

My 235 does have a good battery life and I only have to recharge it once or twice a week. The batteries only have a limited life and eventually are unable to be recharged any more. You are probably remembering that when the Garmin was new, the charge lasted longer. I have the same problem with my tooth brush. A charge used to last for more than a week, but now only about 6 days. Eventually I will have to purchase a new one. 

Well done for Tuesdays 5k result, which seems to have been a nice surprise. Handicap races are very good for increasing pace, and if handicapped correctly, all should finish at the same time. It never works out like that though.

Hope your sniffles soon clear up, and you were wise not to do yesterdays parkrun in the circumstances. Several local parkruns here were cancelled due to the grounds being flooded. Hope you were able to get out for a run today.

The weather today has been bright and sunny, but still with a very strong and cold wind.
    I did a 9 mile recovery pace run this morning, including a couple with Giuliana in the early stages, who I bumped into going the other way.

Danii, one of our Monday morning runners, did the Malta marathon this morning and knocked a massive 46 minutes off her previous PB!! Needless to say, she won't be running with us tomorrow. It will just be Sarah F and me, and we will probably run between 6 an 8 miles.

• Good Afternoon Everyone,

Damien Nagle, Congratulations! It is very impressive to see how quickly your times are improving.

Aquarius, Congratulations on your 5k!  What nice boost to go into spring with! All of those hill repeats are paying off :smile: I've never heard of a race that starts people according to a handicapping system, outside of race waves starting by pace.  It sounds quite fun, and it must be nice to have everyone coming in at about the same time.   

It was smart to give your body a rest for a couple of days. I hope that your sniffles have abated and that you felt good enough to go for a recovery run today.  

HS, Oh my, your 4.5 mile tempo run sounds brutal. I really don't like running in hail. I bet that it felt really good to get back into the warmth of your house.

There is a website/blog of a guy called DC Rainmaker who does excellent reviews of Garmins and other sport data toys.  He gave the 945 watch a really good review and he has some very detailed (and a bit boring) videos on setting it up. I'll be taking some time to watch them over the next week to sort it out.  

I am glad that, even if it was still cold and windy, you at least had sun and running buddies for your 9 mile recovery run.  I really think that it is about time for these winds to take a rest.  We've had an almost constant wind advisory here for the last few days.

How wonderful for your friend, Danii! A 46 minute improvement to her PB is very impressive. Definitely something to celebrate, both for her and for those of you that run with her.  

It is cold here today, with brutal winds, so I opted to run a really easy 8 miles on the treadmill.  I'm not sure if the data that my Garmin gave me is a natural progression of a slow Garmin death, or my watch is really angry that I have ordered a replacement.  But, because I think it is kind of funny, I'm posting a screen grab of the stats from the run.  According to the treadmill, I averaged a pretty consistent pace of slightly over 11 min/mile for the 8 miles.  According to my Garmin, I had an average pace of 39:13 min/mile; an average moving pace of 13:16 min/mile; and, a best pace of 7:03 min/mile. But the best stat is the max run cadence :smiley:

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Afternoon all,

Molly - it amuses us that we start our club run at one pub and run 5mls to get to a pub 200yds down the road :) Re calling myself a luddite - I've been called that but I try and use technology if it's useful - not just because it's there (or that 'everyone else' is using it so I should too). Wow - you really did go the whole hog with that new Garmin (no need to justify yourself here though). If you decide to wear it during your race you had better RTFM beforehand so you know which button to press to start it :) Sorry to hear about your thyroid problem but sounds like your doctor is on top of things. Ha-ha .. yes, those Garmin stats raised a smile here too :)

HS - Tring is approx. 30mls outside London on the A41 and the Ridgeway Run is based at the cricket club on the outskirts of town. Try looking up "Station Road, Tring" on Google Maps or similar and you should see the cricket ground. Here's the link if you wanted more info - http://www.tringrunningclub.org.uk/ridgewayrun/ - as I've mentioned before, I stay overnight at the nearby Premier Inn to avoid a very early start! Glad to read you're feeling better and that the cold lurgy didn't amount to anything much.

Aquarius - yes, you would need to make a weekend of it to think of travelling down to Tring for the race. I wouldn't ever consider just driving to Druridge for the skinny-dips each year without wrapping a holiday around it. Fingers crossed the sauna is fixed before next time - I do have my own sauna in my garage but it doesn't get much use these days (lack of friends close by to use it with). Yes - I'd never made the connection before between drinking wine and faster running - where have we been going wrong all these years? :) Well done re your club's GP result. My club has a handicap race series in the Summer and it's always fun to try and beat the speed merchants back to the finish.

I went out for a run at lunchtime and decided on a shorter route than usual. So I upped the pace a bit and managed 3.6mls at 10:30mm - was quite happy with that and Fetch told me that was my fastest run on that particular route.

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone,

HS: Glad to hear you are feeling better. Your run around the Marina on Saturday sounded pretty grim, I hate running into hailstones, it’s surprising how painful they can be. We once had a training session cut short (unheard of usually) because of hailstones. Well done on your 9 miler yesterday in better weather, I hope the weather was ok for your run today too.
    The battery on my toothbrush is pretty ropey now, I have it plugged in charging constantly so I’ve been looking on Amazon for a replacement as there are some good deals there. I might just treat myself (new toothbrush :p wow, last of the big spenders)

WtnMel: Well done on your speedy run today, despite not getting much running done at the moment you are still maintaining a good pace when you do get out. 
    I envy you your own personal sauna, I did once briefly consider getting one installed but I realised I'd probably never have enough time to use it sufficiently often to justify the cost (apart from the fact it would take up too much room).

Molly: I think the machines are fighting back, either that or your Garmin thinks you were tap-dancing on the spot to give you a run cadence like that! Definitely time for a new model. (Incidentally I find DC Rainmaker’s reviews to be very helpful and reliable.)

I’m not sure how the handicapping system works in detail. I only know that you have to supply a recent 10k or 5k time, and I believe your gender and age are also taken into account, then this is all fed into some computer program and everyone is given a start time according to their ability and expected finish time. So for example if the race was due to start at 19:00 hrs the slowest person would set off then, and perhaps two or three other slightly faster ones a few minutes later, and so on. If it works properly you find as you approach the end of the race and are heading for the finish line there is a sound just behind you like an express train, or roaring wind, and that is the pack of runners all merging together and racing for the line. There are a number of teams entered in our race, and it is very competitive, but fun also.

It was too windy to run yesterday, but as the wind had died down this morning I went to the reservoir for a 6 mile run. It’s always quite breezy there, but today I also had to contend with flooded sections where the reservoir had overflowed into the surrounding fields. As a result there was quite a bit of walking / wading involved on the grass surrounding the flooded sections of the path. Unfortunately this grass had turned into waterlogged mud so when I had to resort to it I found my feet sinking in, with the mud oozing over, and into, my shoes. Needless to say when I got back to the car I had to take my shoes and socks off before Steve would let me in. When I got home I sluiced my shoes with plenty of water then gave them a good clean with my trusty Boot Buddy. They are now packed with newspaper to dry out.  
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Aquarius - your post reminded me of many years ago when I was out running one lunchtime with work colleagues and we got caught in a hailstorm. I was wearing shorts and yes, it was very painful! Molly will no doubt recommend you go for the top-of-the-range toothbrush :) I would never have got myself a sauna if it hadn't been such a bargain - a friend of a friend was desperate to sell it before moving out a couple of weeks later so I got it for £350 (rrp. £1350). Our handicapping system works on recent 5k/10 times but the guy that runs the races also uses his discretion. Results from the 1st race are used to adjust handicaps for later races - and he also imposes extra delays on people who win the races to make it even harder for them to win again. It obviously works because you get that same pack of people heading for the line at the end each time. Shame about the muddy conditions on your run - at least you'll have lovely clean shoes now! :)

My friend Alan has just phoned. The golf course has re-opened (has been closed for almost a week because it's been waterlogged) so I'm off to play 9 holes with him in a bit. Will report back later .. ;)
  • Evening all,

Molly, good luck with sorting out your new 945 Garmin. I'm sure that you will be very happy with it, once you have mastered it. It will be interesting to compare the readings with those on your old device.

Danii is very pleased with her marathon performance, and is now taking a few days well earned rest.

The readings for your 8 mile treadmill run on your garmin are very interesting. Fantastic cadence🤣 Definitely time to switch to your new device!

WtnMel, thanks for the info re the Ridgeway Run. I should have known it was on the outskirts of Tring. You will remember that I used to live in Aylesbury which isn't very far away.

Thanks, the cold lurgy must have been a negative positive!

Well done for your 10.33 minute miling.

Hope today's golf with Alan went well?

Aquarius, thanks, yes I'm feeling better now.

The weather was bright and sunny yesterday, but still with that cold wind. I ran 8 miles with Sarah F.

You believe in living dangerously, contemplating purchasing a new toothbrush🤣

Your run yesterday sounded very challenging and a bit like the forest here at present. Well done remembering to pad your trainers out with newspapers after cleaning the mud off. I'm afraid that I'm a bit lazy cleaning my trail shoes, but do stuff them with newspapers.

Today was another bright and sunny day, but still very windy, although nowhere near as strong as earlier. I ran 10 miles on roads with Sarah H. She surprised me with an unexpected sprint about 100 metres from home, meaning that we raced each other. Our Garmins recorded 8.02 minute miling for that sprint. I wish I could keep that pace up all the time. 
  • Good Evening Everyone,

WtnMel, I had to ask my husband what RTFM meant :blush: I thought that it might be an 'across the pond' term, but he assures me that it's common here, as well.  Clearly, I need to expand my horizons.  

In my case, I am a luddite married to a high tech guy.  So, I am constantly waging war on all of the 'smart' objects in our house.  At this point, everything is online (security, temperature, smoke/CO2 detectors) and I have no idea how to work any of it.  This has resulted in scenarios where I have had to call Brian, when he is overseas (and fast asleep) because I need him to get on his computer to fix something in our house that has gone haywire. My studio (my kingdom) is very low tech, and Brian is only allowed in by invite, lest he start improving (meddling).

Oh Jeesh, if everyone is going to run your Ridge Run, I want to, as well. But, I can't see how that would work out. So, I will ask for lots of pictures.

Great job on your 5 miler!  10:30 min/mile is becoming your new normal!

How was the golf game?

Ha! Top of the range toothbrush! Ha!

Aquarius,  my toothbrush is dyeing, as well. I am beginning to wonder if I am a machine killer.  Please feel free to share any tips on long lasting models that you come up with.

Thank you for explaining the handicapping race format. The finish line sounds wonderfully fun.  

Good for you for getting out for a run/slog despite the mud.  I hope the newspapers did the trick. I hate running in damp shoes. Did Steve run with you? How is he doing after the ablation with his physical activities.

HS, Nice job on that final sprint, with Sarah H!  After 10 miles that's a nice pace :smile:

Your weekly mileage must be reaching into or near the 30's on some of these weeks. And, it doesn't sound like you're feeling any lasting effects from cumulative fatigue.  Do you stretch after your runs, or use one of those foam rollers?  

I am glad to hear that you are getting some sun and the winds are at least slightly calmer.  Do you normally have windy springs where you are?

I took my new Garmin out for it's first spin today.  I am still in the process of learning about it, and setting it up.  I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to do more than look at it until this morning.  It is a bit more complicated to work than my previous FR 630.  First of all, it doesn't have a touch screen.  Somehow I missed that detail in everything that I read about it.  I am sure that it would have a made for a very funny video, if I had been filmed, while I was stabbing at the watch face with increasing frustration before I figured it out.  Getting used to scrolling through the different options with the buttons is a minor challenge. However, by the end of this morning it was becoming more instinctual.  

For the first run, I just went for 2.5 miles outside, followed by 1 mile on the treadmill. This is also the first time that I have used an Rd pod.  I cannot stress how much I prefer the pod over the chest strap. 

My main concern was the data.  I think it is pretty accurate. First of all, after the run, it lowered my VO2 max to 34, which is probably correct at this point.  One of the things that has been bothering me is that I have had a hard time getting my heart rate up. Low and behold with the new setup, I am very definitely hitting zone 5.  As a matter of fact, I am a little concerned by how much of the run was in zone 5. But, then, I noticed that the Garmin was recording the outside temperature as being in the 70's and 80's F ( 21-26 c).  I think that I need to change the entered zip code so the Garmin can find the correct outside temperature. Apparently, this model of Garmin works your current outside temperature into some of its algorithms. And, it may affect the heart rate zones.  However, there is no doubt that the overall stats were more consistent, and made more sense with the new Garmin.  

The treadmill run was only a mile, because I just wanted to see how the new Garmin/rd pod recorded the data.  I am so pleased with how much more accurate this set up is.  Or, at least, it is almost spot on for the data that the treadmill is giving me.  On a side note, I am now worried that my fan in the treadmill is dyeing.

The only problem that I am having with the new Garmin is in convincing it to download running music.  I spent way too long trying to work that through this morning, and I still didn't succeed.  That may be an ongoing struggle.  However, all in all, I am very pleased with the new watch :smile:

I am planning on doing an easy 30 minutes on the bike tomorrow. And, I am only going for one more run on Thursday before the half. I expect that I will keep to a very slow pace for just a few miles. For some reason, my legs are feeling pretty tired. 

• Seems like the winds have dropped off a bit.
    I did my run at Blackpool last night and twisted my ankle a bit (nothing like the last time).
    I won't be doing the park run this week as I will be working so it's down to training runs.
    The next planned run is Thursday night if the ankle is ok.

I am loving my Garmin, by the way, its miles better than the tomtom.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

Molly, thanks. It was good finishing our run with a sprint, proves we must have paced ourselves well. I always try to finish races with a sprint. My weekly mileage is between mid thirties and lower forties. I usually recover quite quickly from training runs and races, which is, I believe, because I pace myself. I always stretch after my runs and have never used a foam roller.

It's not normally very windy here in the Spring, but our recent few windy weeks is unusual. It must be down to climate change.

Regarding Garmins, I've never had one with a touch screen, but I've read accounts in the past that many runners were unhappy with them. It appears that you were very happy with one though. What's an Rd Pod?  I seem to remember some years ago that some Garmins operated with a pod attached to the trainers, but can't see how that could register heart rate. 

I believe that the garmins automatically adjust to wherever you are, so should be constantly amending the algorithms. It shouldn't just calculate the temperature based on the zip code, or post code as we call them that you entered in your set up. I may be "talking rubbish," but it seemed a possibility.🙁

I'm glad that you are pleased with your new Garmin, and feel sure that once you have mastered all the functions, will wonder how you ever managed without it. Mine doesn't play music, but the Garmin 245, which is the upgrade to my 235 does. 

It will be interesting to see how it records your bike ride today. I find that my heart rate on the spin bike is nowhere near as high as when I'm running, no matter how much effort I put in, also calories are lower.

Is your race on Sunday? I'll send you the wings to help you "fly" round the course😁 We will all be wishing you the best and sending encouraging vibes.

I've run 4 consecutive days, so have taken today as a rest day, and  the opportunity to visit my hairdresser for a trim. We discussed running, as usual, which is always enjoyable.

Damien, sorry to hear that you have twisted your ankle again. Just as well, in the circumstances, that you won't be able to do Saturdays parkrun. Hope it is ok for your planned run tomorrow.

I'm glad that you are very pleased with your Garmin. I've never owned a Tomtom, so can't make a comparison.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update as I'm doing this from my phone ..

Margaret needed to do some 'proper' work in our shared study (well, she allows me into the study as long as I'm quiet in my corner!) so I decided to come downstairs and let her work on her fundraising in peace.

Molly - unsure what you're husband told you but obviously its "read the FLIPPING manual" :) Hope you manage to get to grips with the new Garmin and sort out the gremlins.

Alan beat me at golf yesterday. My driving and iron shots on the fairway were (mostly) okay - but my putting was rubbish and I missed some 'sitters' from just a couple of feet away.

Club run tomorrow morning and U3A Science & Technology group in the afternoon (having a presentation on fuel cells).

Btw, Redhead (who used to post regularly on here) popped up on my Facebook feed earlier. She posted a photo of herself wearing some new Tikiboo leggings which have oranges on them.  Each purchase will help raise money for Alzheimers (she's been a fundraiser for many years). Nothing for us fellas unfortunately. She was also modelling a matching sports bra but that was well hidden under a t-shirt (she didn't think the world is ready for her wobbly bits!) :)
  • Good Evening Everyone,

Damien Nagle, How is your ankle doing? Will you be able to do your run tomorrow night?  I'm glad that you are enjoying your Garmin. They are super cool things.

HS,  I am really bad about stretching after runs.  I need to get some training discipline back into my routine.  Your words about monitoring your pace to keep your ability to recover strong, are words to live by :smile:

We always have really windy springs. Today we have had another wind advisory. I was told that it is due to the seasonally warmer air coming in contact with frozen ground. It sounds kind of questionable, but people here treat it as fact.

The running dynamics stats that Garmin tracks (cadence, vertical oscillation, ground contact time, etc) are gathered from a device that is not in the watch. Rather, it is either in the Heart monitor accessory or in an RdPod (running dynamics pod) accessory.  I don't know if other earlier versions of the Garmin watch were able to track the running dynamics stats without an accessory, but an accessory (heart monitor or Rdpod) is necessary for the 945 to track the data.  The RdPod is a tiny little pod that clips on to the back of the waist of your running pants.  You don't even notice that it is there.  

I think you are correct about the Garmin temperature readings.  I was assuming (silly me) that they worked on the same principal as the maps and the information was downloaded according to the location that you enter.  But, it looks like the sensors are next to the heart sensors and have tendency to be affected as your own body heats up.  Garmin offers two work arounds: taking the watch off for around 20 minutes so that it can cool down pre-run (this doesn't sound convincing), or getting another sensor pod called a tempe.  I'm mulling this over.

Yes, I also have a great deal of trouble getting my heart rate up on a bike. I have noticed that if I sit straight up with my hands off of the bike it boosts my heart rate some, and, if I stand, I can get my heart somewhat elevated.  But, the new Garmin didn't show any increase in heart rate for my time on the bike today. I should also note, that I kept the workout pretty light and short.

I appreciate the wings. I will take good care of them. :smile: However, they won't be getting much of a workout. My ego is going to take a pummeling, but I am trying not to think about that.  I have come up with my pace/mileage plan.  Yay! for virtual running partners! I have very conservative goals for the race. My chief goal is to be able to negative split the last three miles.  If I can negative split the last three miles; finish feeling tired but not wrecked; and have minimal tendon issues, I will feel ready to start training for the Maine Marathon.  I am hoping that by then, I will be feeling fit enough to run the marathon for a PB. Or, at least, a faster time goal than what I can currently manage.  

WtnMel, Hmmmm I don't think he said 'Flipping' :blush:

Poor Alan, there is now an entire group of people that have never met him rooting for you beat him at golf :smiley: It's kind of funny.  I do hope that you win next time.

I hope the club run goes well for you tomorrow. The U3A presentation of fuel cells sounds very interesting. Enjoy!

• Afternoon all,

WtnMel, sorry to hear that Alan beat you at golf on Tuesday. 

Hope this mornings club run went well and that it wasn't belting down with rain. Also hope that this afternoons presentation on fuel cells was interesting.

It's good to know that Redhead is still around. I saw that she posted on facebook a few weeks ago in response to another post. I haven't got her as "a friend" on facebook though.

Molly, thank you for explaining the RdPod. My Garmin 235 does everything in the device, but obviously doesn't  provide as much information as yours, and doesn't play music.
    Is it body temperature that you are alluding to, or the air temperature? My garmin shows the air temperature after the run, and I have always wondered how it arrived at it. It doesn't seem to be very accurate compared with the temperature on my barometer, although thinking about it, it is bound to be higher indoors that out. 

I will send off the wings to you tomorrow, which will give you time to familiarise yourself with them. You are right not to worry too much about your race finish time. If your race goes to plan, it will give you a good idea of how to prepare for your marathon. I hope your new Garmin gives you all the stats that will help you with this.

It's been pouring with rain all day today and to be honest, I am sick and tired of it. I'm bored running on the road all the time, and hoping that it won't be too long before I can get back into the forest again. I couldn't face another run in the rain, so took another rest day. I must run tomorrow, otherwise it will be 3 successive days non running😬
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

Molly: As you haven’t mentioned it recently I’m assuming the new shoe/insert combination is working well now. I like the sound of your new Garmin, except I think I would miss the touch screen facility that my 610 has. My previous Garmin model didn’t have this function and you had to use buttons on the side of the watch to navigate the screens. I found this a bit of a chore, especially when running. I was a bit concerned to read that your RdPod clips on to the back of your running pants waistband, aren’t you worried it might drop off during your run? 
    Thanks for asking after Steve, he is still waiting for a post ablation check up (due mid April) so he isn’t doing any exercise other than walking the two mile round trip to our local shop 4 or 5 times a week. The written guidance he was given after the op said he could resume gentle exercise, but Steve isn’t convinced his AF has gone, so he’s decided to wait until a health professional gives him the all clear before attempting to run or cycle again. On Saturday he attended a fund raising dinner at his old rugby club and caught up with some fellow ex-players. He said it was striking, and quite amusing really, how this year the conversations revolved around their various medical conditions, as they are all in their 70s or older now. A number of them were waiting for ops for replacement knees or hips, which is probably par for the course for rugby players, but more surprising was the number of them who had heart conditions, including AF. I hope Brian is progressing well and his ankle is responding to the exercises he’s been given. How are you feeling now you have started your thyroid medication, have you noticed any improvement yet? 
    As regards your HM I think the goals you have set yourself are very sensible. It’s easy to push too hard on race day rather than turn in a disappointing time, but you sound like you have a clear plan and are determined to stick to it, good for you. As HS says we’ll all be sending positive vibes from this side of the water.

WtnMel: Now this really isn’t good enough, what do you mean by letting Alan beat you at golf. ;)  Tut tut. What happened to all the helpful tips and advice you’ve picked up recently from your golf coach? A better report next time if you please. :p
    I noticed Redhead’s post too, I’m glad to see that she is still running and fundraising for Alzheimer’s. Hopefully she’ll pop back on here from time to time if her busy schedule allows. 
    I don’t blame you for snapping up that bargain of a sauna, at a price like that you’d be daft not to buy it. I hope you’ll get to use it more regularly again soon. (What about inviting your new dancing pals?)
    Enjoy your U3A fuel cells talk today, it sounds like it could be very interesting. I hope your club run went well too, and when you went for your hot drinks afterwards you didn’t find those pesky old people sitting at “your” table again.

HS: I envy you the fitness and stamina to put in that sort of mileage week after week. You obviously know your body well and know how to get the best out of it. Well done on your speedy sprint at the end of your 10 mile run with Sarah H (which one of you won by the way?) You are lucky your hairdresser is happy to chat about running with you. My hairdresser knows that I run and routinely asks whether I’ve done any running lately, but she glazes over when I reply and offers me a copy of Hello magazine to read, or some such other similar garbage (apologies to any fans of “celebrity” gossip magazines).

Damien: how is the ankle? Are you able to do your planned run this evening? 

I did some hill repeats yesterday and hope to get out for some speed work tomorrow. I noticed during my muddy outing on Monday that the hamstrings in my left leg were tight and painful in the last couple of miles. Unfortunately this is a recurring problem in that leg, and one that I get frequent physio for. It’s due to a slight difference in the length of my left leg to my right, so although physio can help it cannot completely “cure” it. Normally some extra stretching keeps it at bay, but I noticed it again yesterday during my hill repeats session, so when I finish here I’m going to do another yoga session to see if that helps. 

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭

HS: I've just noticed our posts have crossed. How annoying for you that the weather is preventing you from getting back to running in the forest. I hope you will be able to get out tomorrow, it really is depressing when you want to run but can't.