New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• RunningfoxRunningfox ✭✭✭
    HS: I was a bit embarrassed when that photograph came out so large!   I realise that fell running isn't for everyone, but coming from a mountaineering background it seemed a natural progression when I began running, aged 54.  Along the way I've had broken ribs, toes, fingers and torn various muscles, but overall it's been a wonderful journey that's given me more pleasure than I ever imagined possible.   As my old running mate would say, dripping with sweat  after our run, " By 'eck, I enjoyed that".   I hope you all enjoy it as much, whether on roads, track, fields, forest or fells.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Damien: well done on another 10k PB. You are running well at the moment. Well done for avoiding the drinkers en route. Where has your bike been?

HS: I didn’t realise that wearing glasses slowed down the development of cataracts, perhaps I should start to wear mine while running, although I’ll need to get some new ones first.  Neither my varifocals nor my reading glasses are much good any more. I really need to get my eyes tested and get some new glasses, although heaven knows when that will be possible.
    Six seconds slower on your 5k challenge is nothing, although I’ve no doubt it was disappointing for you. I’m sure you’ll improve on that next week (and in the meantime tell those new trainers that if they don’t buck up their ideas you’ll bin them and go back to your old ones :p ).

Runningfox: you’ve certainly been in the wars over the years haven’t you? I know what you mean though about the pleasure your fell running gave you, there’s nothing quite like that feeling of being alive that you get from running, whether on trail, fell, road or track. Our running club recently started up a fell running section and a number of members have expressed an interest, the thing that puts me off though is all the kit you are required to carry, plus the necessity of being able to navigate the course from a map. I’d be terrified of getting lost. 

When I woke to the sound of rain this morning I made a snap decision to get up and go for a run, banking on the rain keeping down the numbers of dog walkers etc. Fortunately this turned out to be the case as I only saw a couple of walkers and one dog owner. I went up to the park and did a couple of circuits then returned home. I purposely kept it short (and slow) as it’s my first run for over two and a half weeks and I wasn’t sure how my sore heel would feel. It niggled a bit, but is no worse. I must try to remember to mention it to the physio if we have another Pilates Zoom session this week.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - re your comment about not wearing glasses when running (but probably should be). I'm grateful I'm long-sighted so only need glasses for reading/computer work. I could probably wear my hearing aids when running (I have them to boost the high frequencies like birdsong) but choose not to as I can hear well enough without them. Your comment about cross-country courses with grass clumps, tree-roots, rabbit holes etc. reminded me of race instructions for the Ridgeway Run which I try and do each October where runners are reminded to keep their eyes peeled for things like that. When my sister visits my Mum the last thing she usually does is make sure the mobility trolley with tray has been loaded up with everything she might need within easy reach. Always nice to discover new places to walk - by looking on Strava at a run one of my local clubmates had done I was able to see a footpath that took me through to a lane I've occasionally used - I can use that foot path to increase the size of the loops I do around the outskirts of Bishops Cleeve. Good idea not to be tempted to buy anything at the garden centre otherwise you (well, Steve?) would have had to carry it back home. Shame you didn't get home before the rain started again.

HS - I'm not normally an off-road runner, let alone a fell runner. I always remember when I climbed Scafell Pike in 2005, on our way back down and feeling very worn out, we saw some fell-runners scampering down a nearby hillside. Later on, back at the youth hostel, we got chatting to one who breezily said, "Oh yeah, just a short 20 mile race that one". I'm glad I refreshed the website before posting and saw your later post - I always thought all you needed for fell-running was a running vest with snacks/water bottles (like a waistcoat-thingy?) and as you say, maybe a map and mobile phone but maybe I've got that wrong? Well done for not letting the rain put you off running (like with me last week when it was hammering down) - hopefully you didn't get as wet as me and end up peeling off all the soggy running gear and having to dump it in a sink as soon as you were back through the door.

Damien - well done for your new PB on your 10k run.

RF - obviously not in the same league as you but when I finish my 10ml off-road Ridgeway Run in October I feel like your friend in that it's always an enjoyable challenge to complete it.

Been having an extremely lazy day today and apart from reading the Sunday paper, doing the crossword and catching up on yesterday's paper, really haven't done a lot. Quite nice to be honest but it will be back to normal next week as I'm planning to run tomorrow, put another coat of paint on the garage dor on Tuesday and then run again on Wed. I'll probably take it easy on Thu as I'm playing 18 holes of golf on Fri but I might pop along to the driving range on Thu to 'keep my eye in'.
  • Afternoon all,

Damien, well done for your 10k PB. Had your push bike been stolen?

Runningfox, no need for embarrassment, you should be proud of all your amazing achievements. I wish I had done some fell running when I was younger, but am too old to start now. I'm quite happy running on trails etc. In my younger days I did run cross country for my club, wearing various length spikes, according to the conditions. I could vault over gates, but nowadays I struggle to climb over them. I think I have lost my confidence, having fallen off one and wrenched my shoulder and side. I hope that you are able to continue running for as long as possible. I'm only 74, but hope to have a few more years left in me.

Aquarius, apparently it is the sunlight that speeds up the development of cataracts, and tinted glasses help to filter it out. My long distance glasses, are my driving glasses, and slightly tinted. I always ensure that I do wear them, even if it's just to the supermarket which is less than a mile away. The reason is that if I had an accident and wasn't wearing them, I wouldn't be covered by insurance.

I was disappointed with my 5k, but next week I'm going to run it in the forest again. Sarah F will be running with me because she said that as soon as she achieved sub 27 minutes, she would do the forest run, and she ran 26.44 yesterday!

It hasn't rained here today, although it did rain during the night, and the pavements were very wet. Glad to hear that your heel didn't feel any worse during this mornings run, but definitely mention it to the physio, as it could be plantar fasciitis.

WtnMel, I think you are getting mixed up with Aquarius's and my post. It was her who mentioned the fell running kit and getting soaking wet.

It makes a nice change, you having a quiet day, as you always seem to be so busy. I see though that you have got next week planned out, so that will keep you busy.

I ran 7 miles on roads this morning at a recovery pace, after yesterdays 5k challenge. Tomorrow, there will be 6 of us (the maximum permissible) intending to do 10 miles in the forest running 2 metres apart. This would be almost impossible on roads.

• The bike was in a shop being repaired as it needed a new back wheel.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - you are quite right about me mixing things up. I refreshed the website and saw Aquarius had posted again - then put my reply to her post against your name. I'm just keeping you on your toes you understand! :) Reading your post, I remember the days when I could approach a 5-bar gate and vault over it .. I use the stiles now. My running club had a 3k challenge last week using a calculator like the WAVA scores on Fetch. I didn't do a special 3k run so just posted the results from my 5ml run (took the best mile times). My score was a lowly 55% but some members scored in the high 70's. Well done re your 7ml run yesterday and good luck with today's planned 10ml run in the forest. 

I got out earlier on for a 4ml run. It was a lovely morning to be out and I just had the birdsong and sunshine to accompany me (if I ignore the 11 cyclists, 4 dog-walkers, 2 pedestrians, 5 runners and numerous cars that passed me!).

I shall be getting up early tomorrow to paint the garage door - I think today I had better mow the lawns as with the recent rain and now the sunshine, the grass is shooting up again. And I don't fancy mowing the lawns with it getting hot later in the week - just hope the weather cools off a tad by Friday as I'd prefer not to have it too hot when we're out on the golf course for 3-4 hours.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, yes you are keeping me on my toes!

Well done for getting out early again for your morning run. I ran 11 miles in the forest this morning with the Monday Club. There were 6 of us, running correctly spaced apart. We saw several other runners, including Toni, my hairdresser. We  stopped and chatted for a few minutes. She confirmed that the salon would be open in the first week of July, but hadn't been updated on how they would operate. I will try to buy some face masks, as I'm sure that it will be mandatory to wear them when having an haircut.

A good idea getting up early tomorrow morning to paint the garage door, before it gets too hot. You certainly don't want it to be too hot on Friday for 3-4 hours on the golf course.

Tomorrow is a well needed rest day for me, so I will walk to the chemist to try and buy some masks. My sister says that they have plenty.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - I saw on Fetch you'd run 11 miles with your (socially-distanced) Mon group and nice to see your hairdresser and get confirmation the salon will be re-opening. I'm pretty sure face masks will be mandatory for hairdressers so I'm hoping our chemist will have some if I pop into the village tomorrow. Yes - looks like tomorrow will be "scorchio" so definitely setting the alarm to get outside and have the garage door done as early as possible. I've just finished cutting the lawns - had a shower after my run and feel like I need another one now! After lunch I tried the elementary Sudoku in the Independent and almost nodded off - going outside to cut the lawns woke me up but I expect after dinner I'll be nodding off again :)
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    I finished painting the garage door earlier on and was just catching up on Strava. I saw one of my clubmates who lives locally said how busy the pavements were this morning when she ran at 7am. I think the thought of running in the heat later in the day must have made lots of people set their alarms earlier than usual to get their exercise done before it gets too warm.

Going to put my feet up now and maybe do a bit more of the Everyday Excel course I started a few weeks ago ..

WtnMel, I used to do the sudoku in the i quite regularly, but haven't done it lately. Well done for painting the garage door earlier this morning.

I did my "Worlds Strongest Man" walk again back from the supermarket, and this time didn't stop to rest my arms, despite my brain telling me too. Silly, I know. After I had unpacked the bags, I set off again walking to the chemist to buy some face masks, and back again. It was 3.76 miles and very hot.

My laptop has recently updated "Edge" to the latest version. It is much better than the previous version.  I usually use Google Chrome, but thought I would try Edge for a while, to see how it compared.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all, 

HS: As you’ve run 21 miles in three days I’m not surprised you need a rest day! Although from what you say about today’s exercise (Worlds Strongest Man and walk to the chemists and back) it can hardly be classed as a rest day (or at least not in my book). I hope you are planning to have a proper rest day tomorrow. You were lucky to bump into your hairdresser while out running and find out about them re-opening, I think most hairdressers are going to try to open from 4th July, and as WtnMel says it looks like face masks will be mandatory.  

WtnMel: Well done for getting your garage door painted before it got too hot. Yesterday’s 4 mile run sounds nice, although a bit busy. I think there will be more people out and about from now on as the general feeling seems to be that the virus is under control and everything can go back to normal. I hope there won’t be a second spike, but looking at what is happening in the rest of the world I feel it’s almost inevitable that there will be. We are mainly just going out for walks and otherwise trying to stay in as much as possible until the picture becomes clearer about the effects of relaxing the lockdown. Everyday Excel - my idea of hell, but each to his own. I hope it won’t be too hot for your golf match on Friday.

I did another Zoom Pilates session this morning which was quite demanding in places, but enjoyable. This afternoon we went for a walk to an old church we’d seen on Google maps. It was a bit difficult to get to because the farmer had put a huge pile of earth and manure across where the footpath should have been across his field. He’d also let the grass grow to waist height along the footpath, so we had to find an alternative route that had been better maintained on the other side of the hill. The church wasn’t quite a ruin, but wasn’t far off being so. It dated from the early 1700’s and had a really old mausoleum next to it. I’ll try to post a photo of it later. We’d decided to walk up to the church because there was supposed to be great views of the surrounding countryside on all sides, which there was, but the actual churchyard was badly overgrown and the gravestones were in poor condition. We managed to read a few of them, but distressingly a lot were for very young children. I suppose that was the reality of life in the 1700’s. After that we had a walk along some country roads and yet again saw footpath signs but no trace of the actual footpaths in the wheat and barley fields. Naughty farmer. 

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    The mausoleum beside the church.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I'm really getting into the Sudoku in the Independent now and with it being on the ipad, there's no need to have an eraser nearby. I noticed on Fetch you'd done some cross-training by walking to the shops - didn't realise it was a weight-training session too :)

Aquarius - I think HS's idea of a rest day is different to mine (I might watch World's Strongest Man on my rest day if it was on tv). Margaret and I don't intend to go back to normal despite the government relaxing the lockdown rules. I think it's all a bit premature especially as Boris has said it should be okay as long as people use "good old British common sense" (presumably thinks that let's him off the hook in the event of a second spike). In defence of my Everyday Excel course, I've already found lots of stuff I wasn't aware of and I'm only halfway through the course. And I've already been able to create graphs more easily to track my training (nice to see the average pace trend is still downwards). Good to hear you had another enjoyable Zoom pilates session. Sounds like a lovely walk you had and I liked the photo of the mausoleum you posted. One of my running club friends posted a photo last week where the owner had gone round the field collecting horse manure and had piled it up in front of the stile - as she said, what a nasty vindictive thing to do. And as it's a public footpath, she reported it to the council hoping they'll "have a word".

I got up early and ran 4.5mls this morning at 10:33mm pace so was happy enough with that. It was noticeably busier with 13 cyclists, 12 pedestrians, 6 dog-walkers and 6 other runners. Plus I heard a noise on the road behind me and was thinking "that cyclist is really going for it" when a guy on an electric scooter whizzed past me.

HS mentioned his laptop updated and he has a new version of Edge. My laptop has done the same thing and I've just had a weird 45 minutes where I couldn't connect to any websites and then my Norton 360 reported an error. Norton automatically corrected the error and said it needed to restart. Then, for whatever reason, Norton was happy again and lo and behold, so was Edge. I had tried Chrome as well in the meantime but that was having the same problem. I've no idea what was going on but I'm just relieved it's all working okay again now.

Margaret came back from Tesco with a new climbing plant so against our better judgement, we've just been out in the garden digging a hole for it and planting it. Having run and showered earlier on, I'm now too warm again.
  • hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, you are right, yesterday wan't much of a rest day. The walk to the chemist was quite tiring, as it was very hot and I didn't take my water bottle with me. When I got home, my throat was really dry.

I'm afraid that I didn't have a rest day today, but ran 5.1 miles on roads with Sarah H. We ran into the village and round the Marina. Whilst we were in the village, we looked in the window of the hairdressers where two of our runners work, and also to the one I use. There was activity in both, so they are obviously getting things read for opening day. I definitely won't attempt to try on Saturday 4th as it will obviously be very busy. I intend waiting a week or so, and going mid week. They open at 8am, so I will get there early.

Glad that your Zoom Pilates session went well, and hope that you are feeling the benefits.

That sounds like a very interesting walk to the ruined Church and mausoleum. I really like old churches, castles etc. Thanks for the photo of the mausoleum, it seems to have weathered the years very well, and is very impressive. I think that it is very sad that so many footpaths have been allowed to become overgrown, and eventually disappear altogether.

WtnMel, that's a great idea, doing your sudoku on your i pad. I always did mine in pencil, so that I could eradicate my mistakes.

I also think that it is a bit early coming out of lock down, despite the caveats. 

Glad that your excel course is proving beneficial.

Well done for your early morning run at a pace quicker than Sarah's and mine!

Those problems you had with Chrome and Edge were weird. Thankfully, my upgrade was trouble free.

It's been to hot for me to do any gardening this afternoon.

I almost forgot to say that a neighbour nearly opposite me texed a message last night advising that we had been "invaded" by gulls and crows, and they were ripping open our rubbish sacks which we had put out for collection in the morning. Mine had rubbish all over the front lawn, which I laboriously picked up, wearing a pair of old gardening gloves, and put the split bag into two more for protection. I then put the bags into the garage, to be on the safe side. I retrieved them this morning, wearing my dressing gown at about 5.45, as the bin men collected them usually just after 6.00. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - turns out Margaret has a 'spare' face-mask that I can borrow when I go to have my hair cut in a couple of week's time. Good to hear the hairdressers near you are getting things ready - that was my thinking when I booked my appointment about not trying to get it done on the first day of opening and letting things settle down into the new routines first. The online sudoku has a 'pencil' mode (it marks small numbers in the squares) but the main advantage is the question-mark button to check if you've made any mistakes. I guess we're lucky in that we have a small plastic bin for food waste where the lid locks in place so no worries about gulls ripping open plastic sacks. We also have large plastic bins for our general rubbish (as well as recycling and garden waste). Re it being early to come out of lockdown did you see those photos of Bournemouth and Durdle Door? I can't believe people can be that desperate for a bit of sunshine that they'll crowd onto beaches like that.

We popped along to the garden centre earlier this morning and thankfully there were only one or two other people around so it was easy enough to get the compost etc. we needed. However, realised when I got there I'd forgotten to look at our garden hoses and new outside tap to work out what 'bits' I need so I can easily clip/unclip the two garden hoses and the pressure washer. Oh well, no mad rush and I can go another time.

Taking it easy today and feeling slightly guilty as our cleaner Rosie is beavering away in the background - worth the money to have someone else to do the hoovering and dusting in this heat.

Golf tomorrow and judging by the weather forecast today, less chance of getting rained on. And more importantly, less chance of getting caught in a thunderstorm as there's nowhere to hide on a golf course and it always feels particularly dangerous what with the metal of the trolley and the clubs. Don't know what the rules are but will ask at the clubhouse for their advice.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

WtnMel: I agree about the probability of a second spike in the virus. I was listening to the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning after my run and caught the second half of an interview. Judging from the conversation I think the interviewee was either someone from WHO or perhaps a scientist working on a vaccine. He seemed fairly sure we’d have a second spike, or “bounce” as he called it because that is what is happening in other countries that had appeared to have got the virus under control. It’s hard to place faith in the government’s reassurances when they seem to be hoping for the best, rather than listening to the scientists. I’m glad you are enjoying your Excel course, and you are able to put what you’ve learned so far into practice with training graphs (and I expect if nothing else it’s keeping you out of mischief). 
    It’s such a shame when farmers block footpaths, or at least make them less accessible, as it tends to tar them all with the same brush even though most landowners are quite happy to maintain them for the general public. I know I could have reported this farmer to the council, but I feel the council has enough on it’s plate at the moment. I’ve no doubt some ramblers group will report him in due course. I did see one stile that led straight into a field full of wheat with no way through, although you could see where the “exit” stile was at the far side of the field. 
    I hope your new climbing plant isn’t drooping in this heat, the gardens are needing a lot of watering at the moment so I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear a hosepipe ban has been announced. Well done for getting out early for your run yesterday, I’m also finding more and more people out and about, probably as you say they are trying to get their exercise in before the temperature rises.

HS: I know I’ve said this before, but I really don’t know where you get your energy from. That “rest day” was quite a busy day, then yesterday you did another 5 miles. I hope you really are having a proper rest day today!
    Good idea to wait a week or two before attempting to get your hair cut. I saw a hairdresser being interviewed who said that due to the restrictions, and all the extra cleaning they’d have to do between clients, they were having to limit the number of clients they could have in the salon at any one time. All appointments had to be booked in advance, and they were now fully booked to the end of July. Will you need to book at your hairdressers?
    When we lived at the coast we were always being bothered by seagulls (or rats with wings as the locals tended to call them). If anyone had overfilled their bin so the lid didn’t properly close the seagulls were in there pulling the bags to bits and scattering the debris everywhere. It was particularly bad with the big bins outside schools and care homes. Now we are in a more rural area the same problem exists, but this time it is magpies and crows who are the culprits. Our neighbour always overfills his bin and stacks extra bags around it too, so invariably the contents end up all over the road. Fortunately they have put their house up for sale, so with luck the next occupiers will have less waste, or be more responsible with it.

I got out about 6.30 this morning for a 4 mile run. I’m a bit worried that my sore ankle is developing into plantar fasciitis as my sole is also getting twinges from time to time, so this morning was in the nature of an exploratory run to see how it felt while running. It seemed ok, but both before and after my sole felt a bit tight. I’ve been doing lots of stretching and icing, so will have to keep an eye on it and hope it doesn’t get any worse. I didn’t have time to mention it to the physio after the Pilates session as there was no question and answer session this time, but if things don’t improve I’ll give her a ring. (WtnMel: for the record I saw 5 runners, 2 dog walkers, 4 cyclists and 3 walkers).
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel I should have refreshed the page before posting as I see I missed your post this morning.
     I hope all goes well for tomorrow’s golf and you don’t get too wet.
    Just spent a rather traumatic afternoon cutting Steve’s hair with blunt scissors. 😁Off to Amazon now for a new pair, couldn’t face going through all that again. Luckily no major incidents, only minor nicks.
    🤔I think new glasses would help too.
  • Good afternoon all,

WtnMel, it sounds like your rubbish is well protected from the birds. We have also, on occasions, had the bags ripped by cats. 

Reference the crowding on beaches, etc. It's happening here at Southsea and on the common. The authorities seem to have lost control. The amount of rubbish left behind by the crowds is disgraceful. The locals are afraid to venture down to the shore. There are no facilities open, but that doesn't deter the sun worshippers. If, as expected, there is a spike in infections, Johnson will blame it on the crowds ignoring the 2 metre rule. He is a past master at blaming everything on others, and not taking responsibility for his own shortcomings.

That was a good decision, visiting the garden centre early, before the crowds gather.

I feel sorry for your cleaner, beavering away in the heat.

I think it will be cooler tomorrow, so that should be better for your golf.

Aquarius, I'm sorry to say that today wasn't a rest day. I ran 5.6 miles in the forest with Sarah F, which included a structured 5 x 1k with 2 minute recoveries. It was really tough as there was no shade from the sun beating down. The club is suggesting a one off virtual 10k, with awards for the highest WAVAS, fastest male and female, and fastest age categories. This is in place of the cancelled 10k race in the Hampshire Road Race League, which the club would have nominated for the awards. I promise to have a rest day tomorrow🤣

I'm not sure about having to book an appointment at the hairdressers. When I met Toni during Mondays run, she wan't sure either, but said that you probably just need to turn up. 

Hopefully your new neighbours are more consideration when putting out their rubbish. There is a house for sale which is just across the road from my bungalow. The couple that lived there, had been in residence since it was built in 1978. The husband died several years ago, and his wife a couple of months ago. She was in her nineties. There have been quite a few viewers, but the for sale sign is still up. I believe that the interior is very old fashioned as I don't think that they did any modernisation. The neighbours to that house are hoping that it isn't bought, for the purposes of renting out.

Well done for getting out early again for a run. It is rather worrying, the pain in the sole of your foot. I do hope that it doesn't turn out to be plantar fasciitis. I googled it and it said that symptoms were a pain under the heel near the arch, and treatment icing the area 4 times a day. It also mentioned stretching the arches. I presume this means walking on tiptoes and on the heels. I do both of those most days.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those tips HS. I’ll make sure I do as you suggest. I hope it’s not plantar fasciitis too 😕
  • MatsmumMatsmum ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,  I have been lurking for a couple of weeks  and thought I had better post instead of eavesdropping!  It's good to see some familiar names. And to see that you are all running as successfully as ever.  You remarkable lot.  I was tempted though to break into song.....Where have all the posters gone, long time passing etc....What happened to Redhead, and Bionic and Columba? Maybe you are in touch with them on Facebook or something? I am not on FB now although I used to be.  I  am still running  too, currently 15 miles or so a week. I had trained for the Norwich Half  but ofcourse it was postponed until October,  and I  doubt whether I will take part even then because my husband is vulnerable  and will worry if there are crowds.  However, on the morning of the race I decided to do the  distance round the garden  and field behind our house. It took me 3 hours and 20 minutes!!!  A memorable  time for all the wrong reasons!!  But a bit of fun anyway. Ok, have to  go, but will  try to  join you as often as I can. It's  great to find you achieving as much as ever!
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you again Matsmum, I hope you’ll keep popping in when you can, as we are sadly depleted these days.
    Columba occasionally drops in but we haven’t heard from Red for some time now, although she has recently updated her blog. Bionic IW got frustrated at the number of problems she had when trying to post on here, and eventually gave up.
    Good to hear you are still running, and well done for that HM around your garden. You definitely deserve a medal for that! 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

A quiet day today, no running. I'll not be sorry to see the rain, it's quite oppressive here today, I tried to motivate myself to do some strength work earlier, but I can't seem to summon up the energy. 
    I've been stretching and icing my foot, but no change yet. I've found some specific exercises on the internet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they may be helpful.

I hope today is a rest day (at last!) for you HS after yesterday's demanding session, and prior to your 5k challenge tomorrow. (Good luck with that.)

WtnMel - how did the golf go? Victory or defeat?

Matsmum, lovely to hear from you again and that you are still running. There aren't many of us left on this thread, which is a shame. Well done for running a half marathon in your garden and round the field.

We still have the wings, which unfortunately are not used very often at the moment, because there aren't any races. Our running club has been holding virtual 5k's since the lockdown, and keeping a league table of our times and WAVAS. I might use them tomorrow for the 5k, which I will be running in the forest. We have also been asked to run a virtual 10k by the 12th July, and awards will be given to the first man and woman, and to the highest WAVAS.

Hope you are able to pop in again soon and keep us updated.

Aquarius, I hope those exercises, plus stretching and icing will be beneficial. The tried and tested RICE, rest, ice, compression and elevation, seems to be going out of favour now. The latest thinking seems to be gentle running, and heat, but who knows. What's in one day is out the next🤔

Today was definitely a rest day from running, but I ended up walking back from the supermarket, about .5 mile carrying 4 heavy shopping bags, two in each hand. I had to stop twice to put them down. Later on I did a 60 second front plank and 20 press-ups. 

Thanks, I'm doing the 5k with Sarah F tomorrow, and hopefully we will both improve our virtual PB's for 2020.

My financial Advisor has invited me to a virtual meeting to discuss the situation with the economy and the effects on my investments. I've downloaded Skype, but can't seem to locate him by name or phone number. I'll probably have to phone him and discuss over the phone, or maybe he can advise how to contact him by Skype. I'm a bit of a dinosaur regarding IT.

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I got out this morning before the rain started, and although I did get caught in a couple of showers they were brief. I had hoped to do six miles, but felt quite weary after one, so I cut it down to a little over four miles. The last couple of nights have been very hot and stuffy, and consequently we’ve resorted to sleeping on top of the bedcovers, rather than inside them, but even with the window open and an electric heater set to “cold” we still haven’t had what you would call a good night’s sleep. However this morning felt a bit cooler, although very misty and the air seemed still and heavy. On the plus side I only saw a couple of dog walkers on my run, no cyclists and no other runners so the weather must have been deterring some exercisers.
    I noticed my left sole became sore during the last mile and a half, which was disappointing as I’ve been stretching and icing it. I also felt my hamstring was tight, so when I got back home I iced it, and have been alternatively scraping and icing my hamstrings and sole since then. (I say scraping because I don’t know what the correct term is. I use a tool made from jade, called a gua sha which my physio recommended. I'll try to post a photo later.)

HS: thanks for the advice, I agree RICE seems to be out of favour at the moment, I'm just trying a combination of exercises and stretches plus some icing. I'll see how that works over the next few days, then maybe contact my physio if there's no improvement. I hope your 5k went well today? A good idea to have a financial health check with the current abysmal interest rates. I hope your advisor can give you some useful advice. (Btw your rest day sounded quite tiring)

WtnMel: how did the golf go? 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - I think it's very likely we're going to see a second spike after the scenes at Bournemouth, Durdle Door and more recently, Liverpool. No surprise that Boris's idea of "common sense" means people are doing exactly what they want. I saw a lady on the news at Bournemouth saying to a reporter - "Yes, it's so busy down there ... and we drove 3 hours to be here so I guess we're part of the problem" - ummm, yes you probably are! Re footpaths, I remember being on a Rambler's walk when a path had been ploughed over - the leader consulted his map, saw the stile on the far side, then led us across the middle of the field telling us we were within our rights and the landowner was in the wrong. We've had some rain here but we're keeping the new plants watered regularly as well. I think of the grey squirrels we have here as tree rats - I do see seagulls flying around but they never appear to land near us - we don't seem to have any problems with magpies or crows either. Well done for getting out for your 4ml run and I'm keeping my fingers crossed you don't develop in plantar fasciitis. I just refreshed the website and saw you had posted again a short while ago - glad to hear you got out for a 4ml run but you are still having problems with your sole/hamstring. I've also been resorting to sleeping without any covers and with the window open and that's allowed me to get some sleep. It's definitely cooler here today and we've hade some 'proper' rain this morning. I think the 'scraping' you mentioned is probably using the jade tool to apply a bit more pressure to the areas you're having problems with? A bit like having a hot-stone massage?

HS - I heard the authorities picked up two tons of rubbish from Bournemouth beach. I agree about Boris being a past master at blaming everyone else rather than himself. Well done re that 5.6ml run in the hot weather on Thu. I'm surprised you aren't having to book an appointment at your hairdresser - maybe you're getting VIP treatment? :) Let's hope that bungalow gets bought by someone looking for a bargain and willing to do it up rather than modernise it and make a killing by renting it out. Re Aquarius's possible PF, I seem to remember standing on a step on your toes and lowering your heels is another good stretch for the arches? Smiling at you having another rest day but still managing to do strength training by carrying heavy bags back from the supermarket and then doing a plank and some press-ups :) If you are struggling with the IT involved, I would suggest your financial adviser schedule a meeting on Zoom and then send you a link in an email - that way, all you would need to do is click on the link in the email to enter the meeting.

Matsmum - hello! Good to see you back here after a couple of weeks lurking. It's true we're a small band of posters nowadays. Red stopped posting after her OH was ill but occasionally updates her blog - I'm friends with her on Facebook. Bionic Ironwolf stopped posting as she had problems with the website - I don't have any contact with her at all. Columba pops in from time to time and I'm buddies with her on Fetcheveryone so see her training updates on there. HS and I are buddies on Fetch too - and Aquarius and I are buddies on Garmin. Damien posts from time to time and he and I are buddies on Strava. We did worry at one point they might close down the UK forums like they did in the USA (suggesting people move to Facebook) and that we might have to do the same. But that doesn't seem to be likely to happen for now (not heard any rumours or seen anything on that subject). Good to hear you're still running regularly and no surprise to hear the Norwich HM was cancelled and that you're wary of taking part in the re-scheduled event in October - I think we Mature Runners all feel the same. Well done for doing a 'virtual' HM round the garden and nearby field.

My running club is organising a new challenge - part treasure hunt, part virtual John O'Groats to Lands End run (which is easier as it will be downhill ;) ). Claire, our Chair, has had a small wooden 'Almost Athletes' sign to be made. She will go for a run, hide the sign, then afterwards, leave a photo or cryptic clue on our Facebook page about where she has hidden the sign. The rest of us can check her clue, look at her photo or see her route on Strava and go searching for the sign. Whoever finds it, then continues their run and hides it again and posts a clue of the new place - and so the game continues and the mileage done by everyone involved will be totalled up as we go along.

I played golf yesterday but instead of rain, it was far too hot. I didn't play too badly on the 1st 9 holes and was only 4 strokes adrift of Alan. But I got increasingly tired during the 2nd 9 holes - I was having to ration my water, couldn't really concentrate and was hitting the ball into ditches, bunkers and ponds towards the end. Alan eventually beat me by 18 strokes and when we finished, took one look at me and said he was buying me a pint. We sat in the shade and I'm not sure the cold beer touched the sides of my throat I was so thirsty. One thing that made me smile yesterday. Before setting off home I popped to the gents and as I walked in I was met by a lady who was in there. She had got disoriented by the one-way system in the clubhouse and having entered the gents, had no idea how to get out again! I pointed her in the direction of the ladies.

I think I must have been very de-hydrated during the golf so I'm blaming that for my poor score. When I got home I had a can of cold drink, then a large mug of tea. I had another can of beer with my dinner and another drink at bedtime and still didn't need to get up in the night even after all that fluid!

After yesterday, I wasn't sure I would feel like running today. I set the alarm for 5:30am but couldn't face the idea of running when it went off, so just switched it off, turned over and went back to sleep. So I'll probably go for a run tomorrow morning by which time I should have recovered.

• Aquarius, good that you missed the worst of the rain and only got caught in the showers during this mornings run. Sorry to hear though that you are still getting aches in the sole of your foot. Hopefully the icing and stretching will help. If not, I would advise going back to the physio again. The 5k went well and I will post details below.

WtnMel, as well as the disgraceful behaviour on the beaches in Bournemouth, I'm even more disgusted by the so called Liverpool football club supporters. They were even aiming fireworks at the Liver Building. I lived in Liverpool in the days when Liverpool always seemed to win the league, and they never behaved like that. I believe that these days "they can't take their ale," and after a couple of pints are "pissed!" Both Liverpool and Everton clubs have condemned the disgraceful behaviour.

Perhaps I will get preferential treatment at the hairdressers. I have been a customer at the salon for many years, and for most of them, Toni has cut my hair. I give her running advice when she is doing my hair, so she may repay the favour.

Another youngish couple were looking at the house for sale this afternoon and taking photos of the exterior. They weren't with the Estate Agent.

Yes, standing on a step and raising and lowering the heels is good for the arches.

Thanks for the advice re ZOOM. I didn't download it as it seems to be geared up for larger number of participants, whereas our meeting would be just the two of us, hence choosing SKYPE. 

Your running club's challenge looks interesting. I think I saw mention of the virtual John O'Groats to Lands End run on our club's facebook page.

Sounded like good tactics playing badly so that Alan would feel sorry for you and buy you a pint🤣

Had to laugh at you being met by a lady in the Gents, who had wandered in accidentally, and couldn't find her way out. It might have been a different story though if you had wandered into the Ladies.

You were lucky not having to get up in the night after drinking all that liquid. I'm afraid that when you get to my age, you need to get up whether you have had lots to drink, or not. Hope you have a good run in the morning.

My virtual 5k went really well this morning and was only 2 seconds slower than my PB this year. I did 26.28, which is a WAVA of 70.4% and a VO2max of 48. I was lucky with the weather as it had been raining nearly all night, but stopped just before I set out. I got home before it started again.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - Zoom can be used for anything from a discussion between two people to a full-blown meeting of many more. Depends on your advisor of course but my suggestion was based on the idea that if they set up a Zoom meeting and all you needed to do was click on a link in an email, that would be much less hassle for you. Yes, you can just imagine the reaction if I wandered into the ladies claiming I was lost can't you. I sometimes have to get up in the night but thankfully, most of the time I'm able to sleep through to morning without interruption. Well done re the results of your virtual 5k - good time and great WAVA score.

I've been out this morning and run 4.5mls. I decided I was bored counting cyclists, dog-walkers etc. as things seem to be returning to normal now but noticed anyway that it was quieter this morning.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 

WtnMel: Commiserations on your golf game. It sounded really tough in some very trying conditions. From what you said about the amount of liquid you consumed afterwards you were obviously dehydrated, and as I’m sure you know that can have a very negative affect on performance. It can also make you hallucinate  - are you sure you met a lady in the gents? Sounds unlikely to me ;) .
    Thanks re the tip of standing on a step and lowering the heels, it’s an exercise I used to do regularly, although I must admit I’ve been a bit lax with it recently. Another one to add to the to-do list!
    I can’t seem to get enthusiastic about these virtual runs, but the one your club has organised with the addition of a treasure hunt element sounds good fun. 
    I haven’t tried a hot stone massage, but I believe the “scraping” is supposed to break up scar tissue on the soft tissues, then it’s immediately followed by icing the same area.

HS: Well done on your 5k challenge. Another excellent time and WAVA (were you using the wings?) 
    I see there has been a upsurge of cases in Leicester, but no local lockdown. I thought Doris had said if there were any local spikes then the government would put local lockdown procedures in place? Re face masks - I managed to order some from Sainsburys, to be delivered with our weekly shopping, which arrived this morning. I hadn’t seen them on their site before so hopefully face masks are becoming more widely available now.

I did my hill session this morning, but only 4 repeats instead of the usual 6 as I was still testing my foot. Fortunately I had no problems today so I’m hoping my stretching etc is paying dividends. There’s another online Pilates session tomorrow (via Zoom) so I’ll probably do that. The first two sessions were free as the physios provided them mainly to test out their skills regarding filming the session and using Zoom. Now they are happy with the set up we’ll be booking and paying online before the session, which is only fair as we are gaining from their expertise and advice. 

The ongoing missing hair clipper attachment saga - (N.B. I’d only bother reading on if you have nothing better to do. This really is becoming tedious.) I received an update from the Chinese company who had dispatched the missing attachment to me some weeks ago. Having already told me that the tracking info showed that the parcel had been received at Heathrow earlier this month, they then (in reply to my response of “I still haven’t received it”) sent me a copy of the latest tracking info which rather confusingly not only showed that my local delivery office had returned the item to them as it was insufficiently addressed (surprise surprise) but also included some delivery details of a different item in Middlesex. I replied that the Middlesex details obviously didn’t refer to my package as it was about 300 miles from where I live, but the information about Derwentside delivery office returning the item was the relevant bit. In response to my question of what address had they used they sent me an Amazon print out showing my Christian name, no surname, the county I live in, the county I live in again, then my post code. I explained that this was insufficient to find my house and gave them my full address. I also pointed out that they must have my full address already as they'd used it to deliver the original package containing the clippers. They have replied this morning telling me to contact Royal Mail as they say they used the address I had listed on Amazon, which is obviously rubbish.  We’ve given up on actually receiving the missing attachment, but I intend to pursue this as a point of principle now. I’ll know you’ll be waiting with bated breath, so I’ll let you know if it ever turns up. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - as you'll have gathered, the heat really got to me on Friday. I don't feel so bad because when I compared Fri's score (122) with my average (118) I could see it was only a few more. It probably felt worse because I played so well the week before. I spoke to Alan this morning to organise golf on Fri and he played yesterday - he said he was out for 5hrs(!) and scored 118. So I need his bad days to coincide with my good ones. I thought I was hallucinating when I came across that lady in the gents - she looked dreadfully embarrassed. The last time something like that happened was at the Bath HM when the queues for the ladies were so long, some ladies took to using the gents toilets so we had men at the sides using the urinals and ladies queuing down the middle for the cubicles. The virtual run/treasure hunt starts on Wed but as Claire lives the other side of Cheltenham I'll have to wait for it to get a bit closer to me before trying to join in the fun. That 'scraping' sounds like it's using the same idea of using extra pressure to break down scar tissue as when you use extra pressure during a massage to break down 'knots' in muscles. Doris might order a local lockdown in Leicester but I believe the local council have already said they don't have the powers to enforce that and have asked him to clarify what they should do? Well done re your hill session and glad to hear you didn't have any problems with your foot. Margaret told me the face mask she lent me had shrunk when she washed it so I'd better not forget to check if I can attach some longer ties as my haircut is supposed to be on Thu 9th. Tedious as it is, I agree it's worth pursuing the missing hair clipper attachment as a matter of principle. Apologies if you've already mentioned it but was there any possibility of asking Amazon for help? (I'm guessing the answer is no!).

We've been out doing a bit more gardening this morning - I say gardening but it mostly consisted of pruning things and in the case of a bay tree which seems to have become diseased, cutting it down and digging it up. So we've another 'hole' in the border to decide what to do with.

Planning to get out and run early tomorrow morning and then again on Thu morning.

I forgot to say that with this bug-hunting, I discovered another path I'd not used before. I'd seen the start of each end of the path from two separate roads but Sun was the first time I'd run down it, followed it through the houses and popped out onto the other road at the far end. I'm sure there are loads of little paths around the village like that for me to investigate. And there's a whole new estate on the edge of town that I'm pretty sure links a road I use occasionally with another road I've run down but I've never been to see where it goes!