New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel sorry to hear you didn’t feel your usual self during this morning’s run, but I think we all have days like that from time to time, and it’s not always obvious why.
    You seem to have been quite busy lately so perhaps a nice restful day (if possible) will put you right. Enjoy your porridge.🙂
  • hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, I've always had "windows." Started I think with XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and now Windows 10. 

The lovely hot sunshine that we had on Friday has now left us, and this morning run was in steady, but not too heavy rain. It was a bit windy yesterday for our 5k and also very humid. We were sweating after 1 mile warm up, before the run. Details of the run are below.

The costs for your car service do seem excessive, but I do know that air con work is very expensive. More like a rip off!

Glad to hear that you got out for a run yesterday after a 9 day lay off. Hopefully your Thursday appointment with  the physio will finally sort out the stiffness in your neck. Also pleased to hear that you have an appointment with the optician, as eye sight is so important, especially as you are still driving.

WtnMel, regular training is definitely essential to achieve improvements to your pace. Manual lawn mowing can definitely be classed as cross training. Thanks for the info re minute/kilometre per mile calculator. I recon that keeping sub 6 minutes k's per mile is ideal for steady runs. For the 5k's we try to get as close to 5 mins as possible.

Good to hear that your Outlook software now seems to be ok. The power cut the other day rather played havoc with my laptop and phone. When the power came back on, the router came on and all seemed well. However, when I looked at my Galaxy S8 phone and laptop, they both advised that they were not connected to the wifi internet. After a few minutes, the phone did connect to the wifi, but not the laptop. I tried the diagnostics , but got the same message as you. I turned the router off and back on again, and I was reconnected. I logged out, but when I logged in again a message came up on the screen, "configuring the updates, do not turn off your computer." This lasted for nearly an hour and I was about to log off again, when the home screen etc came back on. I thought that the My features update, which I had paused, had been updated. But it hadn't, so I don't know what it updated. I've paused the May update for another week to be on the safe side. 

Hope Ed settles in ok. Good that your golf practice is producing results.

Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling so good this morning. As Aquarius said, we all have off days for no apparent reason.

Yesterdays 5k was a few seconds slower than last weeks, as Sarah F found "a loop" that she thought would make the run quicker. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect, as it was slightly uphill and the ground was uneven. I did a recovery pace 7 mile run on the roads in the rain this morning.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Aquarius - I think you're right about having been a bit busy lately. Haven't done a lot at all today - and after the early 5:30am start, was yawning my head off doing the Sudoku and watching The Sky At Night just now, found my eyelids closing. Need to stay awake or Margaret won't get her Sunday roast! 

Will we be getting any photos of your new lockdown haircut? ;)
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - sorry, looks like our posts crossed yesterday. Re Windows computers, my experience goes right the way back to Win 3.1, Win ME and Vista as well as all the others you mentioned. I see it was wet when you ran yesterday - the only rain we've had here has been overnight (shades of Camelot!). You may recall my aircon was very expensive last year because I had to replace the compressor AND the condenser. Sounds like your wi-fi problems sorted themselves out (good old switch it off and on!!). But what a pain that you then had to wait an hour for the updates to finish. If you were interested enough you could always look in Control Panel/Update and Security/View Update History - but I'd imagine you're not that bothered as long as it doesn't happen again! Whoops to Sarah's loop that had the opposite effect to what was intended.

Aquarius - I forgot that I briefly had a second-hand, very slow Mac of some sort (desktop rather than laptop), but being old, it didn't last long before it conked out! A bit of a bargain at £40 as the guy I worked with at the time was upgrading. So cheap enough that I wasn't bothered when it did bite the dust.

Feeling better today. We've been out and done some weeding in the front garden. While I was out there, my club-mate Iris wandered past on her way to the newsagents so we had a quick chat and I introduced Margaret to her.

Looks like my week has planned itself ;) Golf on Fri, helping Ed move on Thu, seeing my son on Wed (helping with overgrown garden). Which means I'll need to do my golf practise tomorrow. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel: I must take a leaf out of your book and try to get back to regular runs. Lately, for one reason or another, the best I can manage is three runs a week (hills, intervals and a longer run), and often not even that many. I know my pace is suffering but it’s difficult to find anywhere around here where there are no hills, so I find it hard to get any speed up for a good stretch. I don’t really want to use my long run for that as I’d rather keep it for gradually increasing the distance, plus the fact even that route has hills in it.
    Glad to see you are feeling better today, but from the sounds of it you have another busy week ahead of you. Have you left any time to fit some running into that schedule?
    My lockdown haircut isn’t such a dramatic change as yours. I have straight hair that grew past my shoulders during lockdown, it’s now just 3 inches shorter, so not much change at all. I don’t think I’ve got a lockdown photo of me showing the longer shaggier hair for comparison.  

HS: How annoying to have had all those computer problems after the power cut. It all sounded very time consuming. What a pity that Sarah’s loop didn’t have the intended outcome, at least though you’ve tried it and found out it didn’t help. Perhaps any future modifications to the route could be tested out during the week, rather than leaving it to race day. Well done on your 7 mile recovery run this morning, despite the rain. Did you have any company today?

Yesterday we went over to the coast to watch the sailing. As we were a bit early we went for a walk along the promenade towards the Fish Quay. It’s not a particularly scenic walk as there are just some grassy banks on one side and the sea on the other, so it’s usually quite quiet. Yesterday it was packed, which was surprising as it was only intermittently sunny and actually rather chilly, but people weren’t deterred and meandered along in large groups ignoring any social distancing requirements. As a result we were constantly checking ahead and behind for people who were obviously going to pass us far too closely. Apart from one or two other older couples, zigzagging from side to side like us, everyone else seemed quite happy to hog the path right down the middle. On the way back we took a path up through the grassy banks where there were less people. When we got back to the sailing club we were chatting with some members and one told us that his partner worked at the hospital in the radiology unit, and having recently been routinely tested she found out that at some stage she’d had the virus, as had a number of her colleagues. None had experienced any symptoms, but they all knew exactly when and where they’d been infected. Unbelievably, in the early days of the outbreak they were instructed, by the hospital, not to wear any facemasks as this would frighten the patients (all of whom were suspected Covid cases, there to have lung X-Rays to check for evidence of the virus). Obviously shortly after it became mandatory for all NHS staff to wear masks, but what a shocking attitude for the hospital management to take in those early days regarding the safety of their staff. 
    Today I went out about 7am for a hill repeats session. I’d intended doing the usual 6 repeats, but found when I downloaded my Garmin that I’d miscounted and only done 5. I think this was because I was distracted by a dog on my last repeat and lost count of which one I was on. Although I’d expected to see a lot more people about, as I went out a bit later than my usual time, there really wasn’t that many more which was a pleasant surprise. I’m still having problems with Garmin finding satellites, but only when I run along a tree lined route, when we go on our walks we set off through the estate and Garmin locates the satellites almost immediately. It wasn’t until I’d come out on to a road this morning that it managed to find them, over half a mile after I’d set off. My time on the repeats was quite disappointing, giving me a slow overall time, but nevertheless I’m using it to record as my not-a-parkrun time this week. You are allowed to record as many runs as you like, with the best one being saved as your time for that week, so hopefully I may be able to record a better time before the cut off on Sunday.
    Tomorrow is Zoom Pilates in the morning, then we will probably go for a walk in the afternoon. Pre lockdown the Pilates sessions took place in a church hall at the coast, but this obviously had to stop when the lockdown came into effect. I expect as soon as it’s safe to do so they will return to that venue, and then the Zoom sessions will cease. So I’m determined to make the most of them while I can, as I won’t be doing the church hall sessions, it just wouldn’t be feasible for me to make a weekly round trip of 50 miles for an hour’s Pilates.

Exciting news! I’ve had a reply from the company who are sending me the replacement hair trimmer - and (drum roll) apparently it will arrive tomorrow! I’m not holding my breath.
  • Evening all,

WtnMel, I had forgotten about Vista. I had that and quite liked it. For some reason it seemed to be very unpopular, and didn't last very long. 

I do remember your expensive business with the air con.

I often do view see update history, to see what the updates comprised of. As I mentioned, I've paused the May features again for another week, and will then give it another try.

Yes it was rather a pity that Sarah's solution to make the run quicker, backfired.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better today and were able to do some weeding. Not easy whilst the ground is still rock hard.

Seems like yo have got a busy week ahead, so make the most of tomorrows golf practice.

Aquarius, believe it or not, hill running is said to increase your pace. There aren't many level stretches where I am, on road , or in the forest. We try to find the flattest routes for our 5k's in the forest, but feel the hilly parts are making us stronger.

Our star runner Jane has just had her hair cut very short, so that it would last through another possible lock down🤣. Before the hair cut, she was wearing a head band, like John McEnroe, back in the day. 

We did actually suss out an alternative loop during this mornings forest run. I ran with the Monday Group, and there were 6 of us, including me. We ran 15k, or 9.33 miles. It was sunny and very humid.

It sounded like your walk yesterday was rather spoilt by ignorant people not socially distancing themselves. We get the same problems when road running. That's why we do most of our runs in the forest.

I'm afraid this Government's handling of the pandemic has been shambolic from the very beginning.  They have been "behind in the game," all along, and are playing catch up.

It's very strange, the problems you are having with your Garmin locating the satellites. We never have any problems in the forest, even when running on tree lined trails.

Fingers crossed that you will do a quicker, not a parkrun before the cut off. Sarah F and I have done a  not a parkrun 5k every Saturday, starting from before they were stopped.

Make the most of the Zoom pilates whilst they are still being held. 

Great news about the hair trimmer being on its way. I can almost hear the champagne corks popping.🥂
  • Good afternoon everyone,

Today is a rest day, so nothing much to report. Did the usual Tuesday shopping, walking home with the 4 heavy bags.  Did the usual front plank and press ups, but that's about all in the exercise department.

Aquarius, I'm hoping that your next post will advise that the clippers have arrived, and also that they are the right size this time.🤞
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone,

Great news - the replacement hair trimmer has arrived! 

I was a little distracted towards the end of my Zoom Pilates session this morning as my 3yr old grandson arrived and started waving frantically at me through the window to attract my attention. As we were all "on screen" and visible to each other I had to try to give a surreptitious wave back, hoping the rest of the class didn't think I was waving at them. 

We've just returned from a four mile hilly walk, a bit breezy but fortunately although at times the black clouds looked threatening the rain held off. I haven't checked the forecast for tomorrow yet but I'm planning to get out early for another run if possible.

Earlier today a clubmate posted link on Facebook to a Runners World article where it reported that under new guidelines 5k races could not exceed 15 minutes, due to government restrictions (as contact with other people for a greater length of time than this would increase the chances of Covid being transmitted) which in effect meant that mens 5k races could take place but not women's, as Olympic qualifying time for the women's 5k is over 15 minutes. At first it seemed that the British Milers Club were going to resume competition for 800m, 3000m and male only 5000m races, but the position has since been clarified that no 5k events will take place as they didn't want a situation where women would inevitably be excluded. I've also been reading the latest guidelines for mass participation events, and I'm pretty sure that if they start up again at the moment I'll be giving them a miss, it sounds more bother than it's worth.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Aquarius - I should take a leaf out of your book and add an interval and/or hills session each week rather than just plodding round at the same speed like I do - sounds like we should swap leaves ;) I ran this morning (see below) but that will be it now until the weekend. Sorry to hear it was busy and you met so many covidiots on your walk to the Fish Quay. Not surprised to hear NHS employees had caught covid thanks to bad advice from the management re masks. Sorry to hear you're still having satellite problems with your Garmin - I know trees can affect the signals but there should usually be at least one satellite in line of sight. Shame your hill session was slower than you hoped - but at least you did it! Don't blame you not wanting to do a 50 mile round trip when the real pilates sessions start back at the church hall. I refreshed the screen before posting and see that the replacement hair trimmer has finally arrived - yay!! :) You being interrupted by your grandson during your Zoom pilates session sounds like one of those interviews where a child/dog/cat wanders into shot. Don't know if it's true but that RW article about a 5k race having a 15min limit doesn't sound right at all. I'm the same re not wanting to take part in any races just yet. I was rather hoping to do that naked 5k run for a laugh ('cos I'm a nutter!!) but really don't think I'll feel safe there. We're even contemplating not doing the skinny-dip this year for the same reason - not the dip itself putting us off as there's plenty of room on the beach to spread out - its the hotel stays we would need before and after the dip that are the problem.

HS - yes, I'm not sure why Vista was unpopular either. They had problems with Win 8 if you remember when they did away with the start button and had to quickly release Win 8.1 with it re-instated so they obviously make the odd boo-boo about what customers want. Is Jane running even faster now her hair has been chopped off? ;) Well done re your 9ml forest run.

A strange start to my day. Woke at 6:30am to find the alarm hadn't gone off at 5:30am. And I knew I hadn't heard it or hit the 'snooze' button. Checked my phone and found it said 4:30am so it had lost 2 hours during the night! Not sure why - could be because the wifi is switched off overnight and/or it didn't have a mobile signal? Anyway, will keep an eye on it in case that happens again. Wandered downstairs to make a cup of tea to find the kettle wasn't working - that was despite Margaret having used it 15 mins earlier. Got her to check I wasn't going doo-lally and we tried changing the fuse but no joy. So Margaret got a new kettle when she went to get the vegetables this morning. 

After my later than usual start, when I ran it was busier than I've got used to. But I was feeling better today and managed 4.5mls at 10:30mm pace so I was back to the pace I've been managing lately.

I've left the Fetchpoint game btw. I realised I was fed up having to run down the same bit of road on every single run to squish the bugs which lose you points. And the points are fairly irrelevant because the leader-board is dominated by cyclists who go much further, amass many more points and take up all the top places. So having left the game I was able to just run where I felt like today and I can't tell you what a refreshing change it was - it brought back some of the 'just go out and run' enjoyment I realised had been missing lately. 

Just got back from the driving range. As before, I concentrated on keeping my legs/hips static and my arms straight on the backswing and downswing - it had the desired effect as I hit the balls better than I have been doing. I'd estimate less than 10% were not straight and true - and each time, I realised what I'd done wrong, whether that was lifting my head, not being properly positioned or balanced correctly.

Aquarius, glad to hear that the replacement hair trimmer has arrived.

That must have been a very awkward moment when your Grandson started waving at you through the window, during your Zoom session.

Good that it didn't rain during your 4 mile walk yesterday.

I'm a bit confused about the 15 minute 5k rule. The article I saw said that women wouldn't be allowed to race 5k, but according to what you read, it applies to men also. I've read the latest guidelines for mass participation  races too. I'm not convinced either, and don't intend to do the New Forest Marathon series, which the organisers have said will go ahead. There was no guidance on toilet facilities, which at races are one of the most important factors. At the NF races last year, the queues at each portaloo stretched way back. Presumably this year, there would have to be a 2 metre gap behind each person, meaning the queues would stretch back "for miles." There is also the hygiene factor to take into account. Will the loos be cleaned after each person? The loos also seldom have any facilities for users to wash their hands. It sounds like a nightmare scenario to me. I'm quite happy doing the virtual 5k's each Saturday.

WtnMel, I remember the problems with Windows 8, and subsequent upgrade to 8.1. I think that I was quite happy with 8.1, but Windows 10 does all I want. Do you use Chrome, or Edge. I mainly use Chrome, but a recent edition of Computer Active advised that the updated Edge, was a great improvement. I've therefore updated it, but still prefer using Chrome.

Jane is very proud of her new haircut and is boasting that it will make her even quicker. She will put that to the test on Saturday, when she runs her 5k.

That's odd, your phone losing 2 hours. I never turn off my wifi off at night. You may recall that I recently adjusted my Garmin to record in k's. I had always switched my Garmin off at night, but found that when I switched it on in the morning, the top window had defaulted to "Lap Distance." It was easily rectified by pressing the up arrow, but a bit of a pain. I don't turn it off now, so the problem doesn't occur. My tech expert has said that he would rectify this, so I wouldn't have to worry.

I hope that you are happy with the new kettle. I binned my previous one because it leaked out of the spout when pouring. My replacement, which I've probably had for over a year, is doing the same thing now. 

Well done for getting back to your managed pace. I'm quitting the Fetchpoint game too,  it's too much hassle and limiting the routes to take.

Good to hear that your session at the driving range had the desired effect.

It was really very hot this morning and I ran a very easy pace 5 miles on roads, including some drills on grass.

Our monitor of the virtual 5k league table asked us if we had any other challenges, so I said that I would try to run a sub 8 minute mile. I will try this tomorrow, and Sarah F will try to achieve it with me. I'll let you know how we got on.🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️
  • Good afternoon all,

The Garmin Connect server has been down for maintenance since early this morning, so unable to sync data to strava and fetch.

I did my sub 8 minute mile challenge this morning and ran 7.58, a WAVA of 67.27%. Sarah was 4 seconds behind me, but we ran most of it together.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I read up about the 15min 5k rule and obviously got the wrong end of the stick. I thought it was about pace - have since found it's to do with how long the athletes are safe to be close together and as women take longer to run 5k (I think the Olympic qualifying standard is 15min 10sec) they were concerned that discriminated against them because they're a little slower. I use Edge - the new version seems slightly better and more stable. I've used Chrome in the past but can't say I particularly prefer one over the other. I think it's just habit with me as when I was working, we were 'forced' to use Chrome and I didn't have any problem with that. My phone has been behaving itself recently btw - no more occurrences of losing a couple of hours. Quite relieved as I've only just renewed my Vodafone contract for a sim-only one and I'm not sure if my old Windows phone would work with it, so had fears I might need to get a new phone if it had conked out completely. Hope your resident 'techie' sorts out your Garmin. The kettle seems fine but Margaret is a bit concerned about the taste so we'll see how we get on (I'm hoping that just because it's new). Glad it's not just me getting fed up with Fetchpoint- as I mentioned, being a small village it meant the only way to get outside the circle was to go down the same bit of road every single time which had got very boring and restrictive. Well done re your 5ml road run and good luck with your 8min mile quest.

Went over to collect some of Ed's belongings this morning and he's settling in to his new surroundings for the next fortnight. He's got his work laptop set up in the conservatory and thought he'd be having to use the wi-fi - so it was a nice surprise for him when I explained I've put a powerline adapter out there which provides broadband through the power sockets (very clever technology!) and is more stable than a wifi signal. He's still setting up his tv/xbox combo but is basically done as far as what goes where is concerned.

I said I was going over to see my son Glenn and to help him sort out the garden. Yesterday we dug out the border at the front of the house which had a bush that was diseased which we had to chop down and uproot. The border was also full of brambles so that took lots of work to clear those too.  And we also started in the back garden. I was aching last night as I lay in bed from all the digging we'd been doing - I'm not used to all this physical work and I am aching a bit today as well.

Golf tomorrow and Alan has introduced me to an app called 'Vpar'. You can set up a match via Vpar and keep score on your phone. But I'll still be scribbling down the score on the scorecard in my pocket! The clever part of Vpar is it has satellite images of the golf course (I've checked and it seems to have images of all the courses we play on). So with the phone's gps, you can see where you are on the hole and it tells you the distance to the flag - clever stuff.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I started writing a post yesterday but didn’t get time to finish it, so went back to it a few minutes ago to add a bit more, but accidentally deleted the whole thing. I was not happy.

So, here’s a somewhat shortened version.
    WtnMel:  Rather odd your phone losing two hours, also your alarm not going off, not to mention the kettle packing in. Perhaps you just weren’t meant to get up early that day. Glad to hear your phone has been behaving itself since then. As regards the kettle and the funny tasting water, that’s exactly what we are finding at the moment. For the last couple of weeks we’d noticed when we made a cup of tea that it had a strong, almost chemical, taste. At first we thought it was the kettle, so we bought a new one, but the tea still occasionally has that odd taste. We’re starting to wonder if it could be the water? Funny that both you and HS have opted out of the Fetchpoint game, I was just starting to wonder whether I should give it a go, but from what you’ve said I think I would find it too restrictive regarding routes. I’m not surprised you are all aches and pains after that gardening session, that sounds like hard core cross training to me!
    It sounds like Ed has got settled in quite quickly, lucky for him that you had that powerline adapter for the broadband. That Vpar app sounds a handy thing, how accurate is it likely to be as regards distance to the flag? Are there any little buttons you can click on that deflects your opponent’s ball into the rough? That really would be handy. ;)

HS: Well done on your sub 8 minute mile. That’s an excellent time, and a great WAVA too. :) All your hard work and consistent training is really paying off. I’ve just checked and I see that Garmin is still down, that seems rather a long time just for maintenance.

I did my Pilates on Tuesday, then we went for a 4 mile walk in the afternoon. Yesterday was a housework day and today we went to the coast for my opticians appointment, followed by my physio appointment. The optician’s appointment was a little strange as the facemask I had to wear made it difficult to read the eye chart as the lenses kept fogging up. The optician acknowledged it was a common problem with the masks and said I could remove my mask if I wanted to, which seemed a bit odd to me, so I didn’t and struggled on guessing at most of the letters. It seems both my near and far sight has changed so I’m getting some new varifocal glasses, plus a separate pair for reading. I chose my new frames while I was there and as it was difficult to see my reflection properly (due to fogging up) I was again advised it would be ok to remove my mask if I wanted to. My physio appointment went well, some muscles in my neck (I forget what they were called) were very tight so a lot of work was done on them, plus the usual work on my left hamstrings and I came away with some new exercises for stretching the hamstrings. I also came away with a couple of medical grade facemasks that the physio let me have after I told her my tale of woe at the opticians. These are respirator masks and look very similar to the usual disposable masks, but it’s much easier to breathe in them. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Someone at my club has just posted that the Garmin "outage" wasn't maintenance related but instead they'd been hacked. I read elsewhere that it is a RansomWare attack and Garmin have taken everything offline (Connect, Express, phones, emails etc) for a couple of days.  :o
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Just checked Garmin again. No joy.
     https://connect.garmin.com/status/

WtnMel, I think that all kettles when new, leave a bit of a taste to the water.

I think our posts crossed, because I advised that I ran the mile in 7.58, and that the Garmin Connect server was down for maintenance. It now seems as if it has been hit by a ransomware attack, and all the data has been encrypted. They will be working on it all day today and tomorrow, which hopefully will get the server "up and running"again. It is possible to upload direct to Strava, without Garmin connect by connecting the Garmin to the laptop by the charging cable. I can't really be bothered and will wait until its all sorted out.

Glad to hear that Ed is settling into his new surroundings.

I'm not surprised that you are aching, after helping Glenn digging in his garden. Certainly back breaking work.

Good luck with today's golf with Alan, and the Vpar app. Sounds very impressive, and make you wonder what they will come up with next.

Aquarius, I know how frustrating it is, when a long post disappears, as it has happened to me on more than one occasion.

If I was you, I wouldn't bother with Fetchpoint, because it is definitely restrictive, and I like to find new routes without worrying about watering flowers and squishing bugs!

Thanks re your comments on my sub 8 minute mile. It seems that just because I was keen to enter details onto Strava and fetch, the server had to go down. I see that you have been checking and that it is still down. The official position now is that it was a ransom attack and all the data has been encrypted. They expect to spend all of today and tomorrow working on it. I mentioned a way to manually upload the data direct to Strava without using 
    Garmin Connect in my reply to WtnMel above.

The official guidance re wearing face coverings is that it is not necessary for dentists, hairdressers or opticians. Hope your new glasses make a difference to your sight.

Glad to hear that your physio appointment went well.

I wore my running buff this morning as my face covering, during my visit to the supermarket. It was rather weird seeing everyone wearing a variety of coverings. 

Tomorrow, Sarah and I will be making an attempt to improve our virtual 2020 5k pb's. It will be easier to know when to stop, as the Garmin now bleeps on each k. Previously, I had to listen for the mile bleep, and keep looking until it reached 3.1 miles. I'm hoping the server will be up during Saturday so I can upload the data. I'm afraid I can't be bothered to follow the connecting up to the laptop etc. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - sorry to hear you lost your original post from yesterday .. I had that a few times in the past so these days, I write my posts in Notepad and then copy/paste it onto the RW website. I haven't noticed the tea tasting funny today - not sure about Margaret. Yes, despite Fetchpoint being fun it can be restrictive and as I mentioned, there's no chance of climbing high on the leader-board because of all the cyclists playing the game. Yep - the gardening was definitely hard-core cross-training .. it was as good as a workout at the gym. We used the Vpar app for our golf today (see below) and the yardages were pretty accurate (well, as accurate as gps signals ever are!). We don't need any special buttons to deflect out opponent's ball off into the rough - we're both quite capable of doing that for ourselves! 😂😂 I see you went to the optician's and the physio. Apparently, some masks have a metal strip which you can press to make the mask a snug fit on the face and that stops glasses steaming up - I expect you're looking forward to getting your new glasses now. Re the physio, hope those new exercises do the trick.

HS - yep, the old "crossed posts" problem again so I didn't see you'd managed a sub 8 minute mile .. well done for that. I noticed that as well as Alan and I being connected on Vpar, it also shows other players who are registered and have played at the same course so you can compare your scores to them. Good luck to you and Sarah in attempting to better your current 2020 5k PB.

I wasn't aware of the Garmin outage until I read about it here. I see it is due to a ransomware attack that has lead Garmin to have to take Garmin Connect and other websites down. I wore my Garmin at golf today and just manually uploaded stuff onto Strava and Fetcheveryone - though I know when Garmin comes back, it will load duplicate versions that I'll have to go back and delete.

Alan beat me by 5 strokes at golf today - that was all down to one hole where I fluffed a pitch onto the green and then putted badly. We used that Vpar app and it worked out our Stableford scores for us. With Stableford, each player has a handicap number (mine is greater than Alan as he is a better player which means I get more leeway!) and according to Stableford, Alan only beat me by one point (Alan = 19; Me = 18). I hit some really good shots and managed 3 bogies today (1 over par). For comparison, Alan managed 2 pars and 3 bogies. We enjoyed a pint of Stella after the game, sitting in the sunshine being armchair critics of the other players tee-ing off nearby and enjoying the fact we're retired and don't have to work any more.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Morning everyone,

Got out for my early morning run at 6:20am. Just 4mls today at an easy pace and it was fairly quiet with no dog-walkers and just two walkers and a handful of other runners. My timing was spot-on too - I don't mind running in the rain but although it was drizzling while I got changed, it stayed dry while I was out running and then as I sat down at home to have my breakfast, I noticed it had started drizzling again.

I noticed Garmin Connect was still down so manually uploaded my run to Fetch & Strava ..
  • I got my Garmin stuff transferred by my wonderfull wife.

I sold my Hoka Clifton's on eBay for the same price that I bought them for....the last time I buy worn trainers lol.

Cheers
    Damien.

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I wonder how long Garmin is going to be down? It’s very frustrating.

HS: How did your 5k go yesterday? Were you and Sarah successful in your attempts to improve your PBs? I don’t use Strava, although I think I may have created an account at some time, perhaps I should check. If Garmin is going to be down for some time it might be worth using Strava in the meantime. Does it just record your overall time, or do you get lap times too?

WtnMel: Glad to hear that your golf practice is paying off as from what you say you obviously had a much better game on Friday. Haha, I agree it’s nice to be able to sit back and have a drink whenever you feel like it, and revel in the fact you are retired. I feel really sorry for anyone having to face returning to work at the moment and dealing with all the changes. 
    Re losing posts - I usually draft my posts in Mail, then copy them onto the RW site. If I haven’t time to finish it I save the draft to return to later. This time however I accidentally pressed Don’t Save instead of Save. I won’t be doing that again! (I hope). Well done for timing your run to perfection yesterday.  :)

Damien; that was a bit of luck selling your Hokas for the same price you paid for them. I agree, it’s not worth buying second hand shoes, you don’t know what condition they are in when you get them. The shoe might look fine from the outside, but the cushioning could have gone. Always best to look around for a bargain and buy new.

The pollen count has been quite high here recently and left me feeling a bit grotty so I haven’t done much running or walking this week. However I felt a bit better yesterday so got up early today for a hill repeat session at the park. I suppose strictly speaking it isn’t really hill repeats as I don’t rest between the efforts, it’s just laps of running up a hill, then down an almost parallel path back to the start. I got out about 6am and hardly saw a soul while I was out. I had expected to struggle a bit as I had a mixed session yesterday of circuits and Pilates, then did a short yoga session before bed to stretch everything. I half expected my legs to be a bit sore, but they were fine and I enjoyed the run.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - looking forward to hearing how you and Sarah got on attempting a new 2020 5k PB. 

Damien - good to hear you sold your Hoka trainers for the same price you paid for them but I wouldn't ever buy a used pair of trainers .. I wouldn't know where they'd been 🤣 LOL

Aquarius - the latest news I saw about the Garmin ransomware attack was that the attackers are demanding $10 million but there was no news on when the problem will be fixed. Garmin have published some FAQ's and one of them was that user's data has not been affected. You may be on Strava - but when I searched there were pages & pages of athletes with Aquarius in the profile name or location. Strava does record lap times as well as overall times - and in normal circumstances you can set up Garmin Connect to automatically send the data to Strava. One good thing with Strava is that it recognises runs on the same route and lets you know how the latest run compared to previous ones. You can give running buddies 'kudos' and leave comments (which is what Damien and I do). And not forgetting the 'fly-by' feature of course where you can see what routes other runners you passed (who are on Strava too) were running. Not stalking exactly - but you do see other places you could run you may have forgotten about or not be aware of. Whoops re pressing the 'Don't Save' button by mistake :( Sorry to hear you've been feeling grotty due to the pollen count. I'd say your hill repeats are perfectly fine. It's many years since I've done them regularly but back then I didn't rest between them either. On advice from a fellow runner, whose Dad was a running coach, we would run up the hill, then jog back down to the start position taking about twice the time we took for the hill run. Then we'd go again and repeat that sequence as many times as we could manage. Glad to hear your legs were fine after that mixed session of circuits, pilates and some yoga to stretch everything afterwards.

Very good timing again on my part today. Decided to cut the lawns and strim the long grass on the plot at the end of the garden this morning - just as I finished putting everything away the heavens opened (though the sun is back out again now).

Off to cook the Sunday roast shortly. Of course, I'll need to do a bit extra of everything today with Ed with us. Last night we had a meal we got from "Cote At Home" (from the "Cote Brasserie" restaurant chain). I had 'Poulet Breton & Frites' (aka. French chicken and chips!) but Margaret splashed some cash and she and Ed had Lobster - not my sort of thing but they enjoyed it.  

WtnMel,sorry to hear that Alan beat you at golf, but it sounded like a very close thing. That new app appears to be very useful for your scoring, but I'm afraid the technical terms mean nothing to me. Very civilised having a quiet pint after the match and criticising the other players.

Well done for your early morning run yesterday and maintaining your steady pace.

Damien, I never buy second hand trainers. Every runner has a different gait, so it isn't surprising that someone else's don't suit ones particular style.

Aquarius, it certainly is frustrating with the Garmin Connect server still being down. I'm still not manually uploading though, as I'm keeping a record in my diary, and all the data will be uploaded in due course. 

I'm afraid that Sarah and I failed in our attempts to improve our 5k pb's. Thursdays sub 8 minute mile challenge had taken a lot out of us, more out of me than her, but I am a lot older, and it takes longer to recover as we age. She finished some way ahead of me!!

You will see that in WtnMel's latest post, that he has explained the capabilities of strava.

I used to draft long posts in notepad, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to have it now. I looked at the notepad apps in my phone, and they all seem to be the sticky notes.

Thankfully, I don't suffer with hay fever, otherwise it would be uncomfortable running in the forest. Good to hear that your legs are ok after your hill work, circuits and pilates.

WtnMel, again! Sarah and I failed in out attempts to improve our 2020 5k pb's as I explained in my post to Aquarius above.

That was sound advice that your running colleague's dad gave about hill work. That probably equates to run up and jog or walk down.

That was definitely good timing getting the gardening done before the heavens opened.

Sounds like you all enjoyed your meals last night. I don't think I have ever had lobsters or crabs, and don't really fancy trying.

This morning I did a rather "mixed bag" of a run. It was a road run, which incorporated a few steady 1k laps round the perimeter of the cricket pitch in a local recreation ground. When I first adjusted my garmin to record in k's, I had garmin connect to convert to miles in strava and fetch, but since the server was down, have to manually convert. My total run was 10.73 k's, which I calculated was 6.67 miles. Sara F ran this morning with "the girls"  a total of 13.85 miles. Amazing after Thursday and yesterdays efforts. She might not run tomorrow, and I won't be surprised if she doesn't. My mornings run was at a recovery pace, except for the laps round the cricket pitch which were a bit quicker.

Sad news of the death at age 73 of Peter Green, the founder of Fleetwood Mac. He was a brilliant blues guitarist, and in his early days took over from Eric Clapton as lead guitar in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. His life was ruined by drugs, and I believe he left FM in 1970.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

** Although the Garmin Connect website still isn't available, the data is being uploaded again as I noticed both Strava and Fetch got updated automatically this morning **

HS - sorry for the technical golf terms. It was a closer game using that handicapping system (and I'll try to be less of a golf nerd in future). Shame you and Sarah didn't manage to better your 2020 5K PB's - you'll obviously need to have a rest and recovery period before your next attempt. Notepad is still available in Windows10 - if you click on "Start - All Apps" you'll find it listed under "Windows Accessories". You're correct - the hill training we used to do was run up the hill and then jog back down. Yes - I saw the obituary in the papers about Peter Green - there was a comment about drugs ruining his life that .. "he took a left turn and never came back".

I ran 5mls this morning and got very wet - as the French would say "Il pleut beaucoup". Margaret had seen how heavy the rain was while I was out and met me at the front door with a bath towel to wrap around myself to keep warm. Like the last time I ran in the rain, I had to strip off the soaking wet running gear in the utility room and dump it in the sink rather than drip everywhere 😂
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Just checked Garmin, seems to be working fine now.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello all, good to see you're still running and posting.

WtnMel, I have never involved myself in Fetchpoint games, as I'm afraid I'd get obsessed with them and it wouldn't be a useful obsession. (I do feel a bit chuffed when I discover that Fetch has unlocked me a new badge, however). From what you say about squishing bugs and the need to run the same bit of road every day, I don't think I'm missing anything. Running from home is limited enough as it is.

I always switch the wifi off at night (except when I forget) and often if I'm going to be out of the house for more than a short time. I try and remember to switch everything off when not using it, simply to keep electricity use down.  

Aquarius: I've had varifocals for years. When reading books, or a Kindle, or my phone or labels on packets etc., I take my glasses off and read with my natural eyesight, namely about 9 inches from my nose, since I've been short-sighted since childhood. But after having moved to varifocals from single-focus glasses I found it increasingly difficult to read the computer screen, so I now have a pair of glasses just for that.

I'm doing a not-a-parkrun each week. There are about 3 or 4 others from "my" parkrun who are also regularly posting times. They are all faster than me, but I'm resigned to that.

WtnMel, All my data has now been uploaded to Strava and fetch except my sub 8 minute mile run on 23rd July. Typical, one that I particularly wanted, but it seems that somehow I hadn't saved it, or perhaps accidentally deleted it.

Thank's for the info on notepad. I found it useful in the past, especially when drafting a long email. I would send it as an attachment.

Well done for running in the rain. I ran with the Monday Group in the forest this morning and it was only light rain. We ran 6.8 miles at a very easy pace.

Aquarius, yes all seems ok now with Garmin Connect. I'm glad that I didn't do any manual entries.

Hello Columba, I wasn't on Fetchpoint for long as I found it rather boring, and never really got the hang of it.

Good to  hear that you are still doing the not- a- parkrun. I've done them all, 18 I think. It's really helped me to increase my pace.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Runningfox: Sorry to hear your eyesight and other issues are limiting how often you can get out for a run. I can well understand that it must be a slow and frustrating business posting your pictures, writing up and editing your blog, but I’m sure all the people who follow your blog are grateful to you for doing so. The end result is always such an interesting and well presented update on your activities. It sounds like your recent trip out to Hubberholme was perhaps a bit more crowded than you could have wished? I try not to go anywhere at weekends now, everywhere seems to be so busy since the lockdown was relaxed. At least your trip out had it’s rewards in that your partner found the elusive Butterfly Orchid. Lovely photo. I agree that squirrels can be a bit of a nuisance, stealing nuts and seeds from bird feeders, but you’ve got to admire their ingenuity and agility. I watched one a few months ago taking a feeder off a tree (it had been fastened on with wire) then using its forepaws and teeth to take the top off the feeder, then knocking it over to make the nuts inside spill out. After all that effort I felt he deserved them. 

HS: Oh no, is there no way you can recover your 5k data? What a shame when it was such a good time. Did you plan to do a mixed bag run this morning, or was a spur of the moment thing? Sarah F certainly puts in the miles doesn’t she? I hope her good form continues when racing eventually starts again. Btw not-a-parkrun has only been going for 5 weeks. You run (or walk) as many 5k distances as you like in a week, from Monday to Sunday, and upload your times to the not-a-parkrun results page for your “home” parkrun. Your best time of the week is recorded at the end of the week in your home parkrun results page. Sorry to hear you got a bit wet on this morning’s run, but at least you didn’t get as wet as WtnMel! I’m allergic to prawns so have never tried any other shellfish, but I don’t think I’d be interested in them anyway. The extent of my fishy meals are white fish (such as cod/halibut etc), salmon, mackerel and tuna. I’m not very adventurous. 

WtnMel: Have you dried out yet? How kind of Margaret to be waiting for your return, ready with a nice big towel. I wonder if Garmin paid the ransom money, or whether their tech people were able to recover the data without needing to pay.  Do you think big companies like that have systems in place that can defeat the attempts of these hackers, will they have the data backed up somewhere? As I mentioned above lobster and the like are not my thing either, but each to their own. I know Steve would have loved the lobster, but chicken and chips would do me. French or otherwise. 

Columba: nice to hear from you again. I’m not a big fan of varifocals, although I did use bifocals when at work. I think the reason I managed with the bifocals was because the lens was quite evenly split between long and close distance, whereas the varifocals were mainly long distance with a silly little bit at the bottom for reading, which meant I was always tilting my head back when I needed to read anything.
    Re not-a-parkrun, I’ve only been doing it for the last three weeks, and there’s usually just one or two others at my home parkrun who do it. This week it was only me, but I don’t mind that, it’s still something to aim for. So far I’ve just been using my hill repeats sessions (about 4 miles) and missing off the warm up part at the beginning to get down to the 5k distance needed. I think I’ll have to vary my runs and include some other routes/sessions to see if I can get a better time.

Speaking of which, when Garmin came back online this morning and I uploaded my hill repeats from yesterday I was pleased to see the times were slightly better than recent attempts (although not as good as ones done back in April). But any improvement, however slight, is encouraging.
    Our eldest son and his daughter are moving in with us tomorrow as he is between houses, having recently sold his. Unfortunately as he is still furloughed he is finding it difficult to get a new mortgage, so he may be with us for some time. His daughter was supposed to be going to a childminder today, but as the childminder has just returned from Spain she cannot take any children as she will have to isolate for the next two weeks. 
    Zoom Pilates again tomorrow, then perhaps a walk in the afternoon if we are not too busy helping son and granddaughter move in.
  • Good morning all,

Aquarius, it wasn't the 5k run that hasn't appeared on strava and fetch, but Thursdays sub 8 minute mile challenge. I have now checked the history on my Garmin and I had definitely saved it. It's strange that the other runs have been uploaded, but not that one. Yesterdays morning run is a regular Monday Group session. We do vary the distances according to what sort of sessions we have done over the weekend.

Our club was ahead of the game regarding non parkruns, and started them as soon as the parkruns were prohibited. Sarah and I have been posting our times on the official non parkruns web, over the past few weeks. Mine on the Brockenhurst web and Sarah on the Southampton web.

On the subject of prawns, I mentioned them to my sister and she advised me that she was allergic to them, as they bring her out in a rash.

You are going to have your hands full with your eldest son and his daughter moving in temporarily with you. 

Hope it's another good Zoom Pilates session this morning, and that you are still experiencing the benefits. Hope you do manage to get out for a walk this afternoon.

Today is a rest day, but I have done the usual walk back from the supermarket with 4 heavy shopping bags. It still feels strange wearing a face covering (my running buff) in the store. I noticed that all the other shoppers were wearing face coverings, but not all of the staff. I've done the front plank and press ups, and may do some gardening this afternoon, if I'm in the mood.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - I noticed the GC website was back as when I went to manually load yesterday's run, Strava told me I was uploading a duplicate! The Fetcheveryone website was running a bit slower yesterday as it caught up with 4 days worth of people's runs, walks and cycle rides. Did you decide whether to have a look at Strava by the way? I'm occasionally adventurous with fishy meals thanks to Margaret's prompting - when we were in Fuerteventura we visited a tapas bar and I had some 'octopus tips' (ends of baby octopus legs) which were surprisingly tasty. Yes, I dried out after that wet run - Margaret said she'd been looking out of the window at the rain and wondering when the 'drowned rat' of a partner would be returning and thought he might appreciate a big towel to wrap around himself on his return! I don't know if we'll ever hear if Garmin had to pay the ransom or whether they had adequate backups and recovered their data (they might not want people to know either way). It brings home the same thing could happen to you and I unless we have taken precautions. I use Norton to take regular backups and have it for my anti-virus protection too. Nice to see your recent hill repeats were an improvement on other recent attempts. I see you have your son moving in with you too - though not just for two weeks like with us and Ed.

Columba - nice to 'see' you. I never got obsessed by Fetchpoint but it was fun for a while until I got bored having to go outside the 1ml circle around my house each time to squish bugs. And I was fed up with the smug people who cycle taking all the top places on the leader-board. I leave our wi-fi on all the time - no idea how much power it consumes. Years ago I tried varifocals but couldn't get on with them after a few days of persevering so went back to what I'd had previously (reading glasses plus glasses for the computer). I have only ever done a couple of parkruns so haven't bothered with the not-a-parkrun. However, I used to run with my club on a Thursday morning and we used to call it the pub2pub run as we started near one pub and ended at another nearby that did 'two for one' hot drinks. Soon after lockdown started, my friend Sue created a 'notpub2pub' club on Strava so we could easily keep in touch and see what each other has been doing.

HS - if you plug your Garmin into your laptop then look in Windows Explorer you should see the 'GARMIN' folder and within that is an 'ACTIVITY' folder. I you look in there you should see 'FIT' files and one of them should be for that sub-8 minute mile run. You could manually load that run in Strava (click on '+' sign (top right); click on 'Upload Activity'; Click on 'File' (left-hand side); click on 'Choose Files' and navigate to the FIT file you want and it should be uploaded for you). Hope you've been able to find Notepad by now. I learnt long ago that prawns don't agree with me. Well done for doing more strength training (aka. shopping and carrying heavy bags).

We noticed last night that when we had our living room window open during the day our wisteria had crept in through the gap - I've been out this morning to cut back the wayward stalks trying to invade the house (shades of Day Of The Triffids :) ).
  • WtnMel,  I've never tried octopus or squid, but am told that they are very tasty. I never turn my wifi off either. 
    Thanks for the tips re trying to locate and upload "the rogue file." I'm attempting to upload the Windows 10 version 2004 again at the moment, so will probably have to wait until tomorrow. It's status is "Getting things ready." It's reached 84% so is likely to be at least another hour before it's completed. If it gets "stuck" at 75% like last time, I will pause it for another couple of weeks. 
    I've found notebook, thank you, and pinned it to the start. 
    Lucky I checked before sending as the predictive text said "I never turn my wife off either!"🥴