New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - sorry to hear about your recent troubles with the laptop, achilles, Garmin and RW access from a tablet all on the blink. Did the the laptop and Garmin fix themselves using the tried & trusted 'turn it off, turn it on again' method? The achilles obviously needed a bit of a rest. Part of the reason for shaving off the beard I tried to grow years ago was the amusement on friend's faces on seeing the result of my efforts. I'm the same in the garden - can be dangerous if not given strict instructions on what has to stay and what can go. I used a pickaxe recently while doing the garden at my house - hadn't realised until then how weak my upper body muscles were. I have a fig tree to uproot in the garden here - that will no doubt make me knackered. Well done re your 3ml run.

HS - you may be thinking of SMOKEY Robinson and the Miracles? (Tears Of A Clown etc.). Haggling with the car dealer was a 'game' I enjoyed playing. It's a few years since I looked at laptops but I took a while choosing mine putting together a cross-reference sheet of chip speed, memory, screen size, hard drive capacity etc. to come up with the best combination. I also used a website showing relative chip performance running a suite of tests to make sure I was getting the fastest one for the amount I wanted to pay. At the time, it seemed £350 was the 'price point' where you weren't buying an under-powered laptop but equally, weren't paying extra for not much improvement over cheaper models. Good luck choosing - I ended up with a Dell (Compaq) and later got myself a larger Dell monitor with two hdmi inputs. The leaves weren't too wet so the bags were fairly easy to carry to the shed. Well done re the virtual Oakhaven 10 - good to hear the ground conditions weren't too bad and you managed a sprint at the finish with a dead heat.

I ran 4mls this morning and tried to keep up a reasonable tempo - especially at the points where I was overtaken by faster runners and tried for a while to keep up with them. I couldn't believe how busy the paths were today with lots of other runners out and about. So lots of weaving around was needed at various points when our paths crossed.

I've had a message from my club-mate Forrest to say he can't make it over on Thu so I shall attempt another 6ml run on Thu by myself. He reminded me to start off a bit slower than usual and said he'll keep an eye on Strava to see how I get on.
  • Good afternoon all,

WtnMel - Your decorating seems to be progressing apace. I’m not surprised you haven’t had time for any running until today. Pity Forrest cannot join you on Thursday but as he will be checking up on you on Strava you’ll have to put in a good performance. ;)  
    Glad to see your U3A AGM went well, it’s a good thing that we have Zoom, I don’t know how we’d manage without it at the moment. I’d never have bothered going to an actual Pilates class, but I love my Tuesday Zoom one. 

JB - oh dear, your electronic gadgets have all been in the wars haven’t they. Good news though that your Achilles is on the mend, and at least some of the gadgets have stopped sulking. Needless to say I’ve never swung a pickaxe but I can well imagine it’s a lot harder than it looks, and almost guaranteed to result in a pulled muscle or two. Still, as long as it made you feel like a man that’s something :) (although I’m with you on the idea that chips would be preferable).

HS - you must be pleased with your Oakhaven 10 result, especially considering the conditions. A dead heat is always good fun, with the balance between beating, or being beaten, and the outcome unknown until the last second. I hope you are having a nice rest day today.

We progressed to week 8 of the couch to 5k this morning which, after our usual 5 or 6 min warm up walk, was 28 minutes running. We almost made it, Steve had to stop to walk with less than a minute left to run, but was still pleased with that. Our next outing will be on Thursday when we will go over to the reservoir. That should be a harder test as the gravel path there is uneven and undulating, and the reservoir is open to the elements, making it a windy run at the best of times.Gales are forecast for Thursday, so that should be interesting. 
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Mel, you are clearly  discerning and well informed consumer. I wouldn't include product research and haggling as two of my skills, but then, as Mrs JB reminds me, I seldom buy anything anyway! That's why I'm so glad that the 'switch it off and then on again' trick is so valuable to me. Isn't it a shame you can't do the same with dysfunctional people? Don't envy you the battle against the fig tree avec le pick-axe! Talking of your friend Forrest I was goaded by a walker today with 'run Forrest, run'! (I bet he gets a lot of this?)

Aquarius, on HS's dead heat, I wonder if he adopted the 'Colin Jackson dip' on the line? How nice to run around a reservoir. They tend to be pretty big, so is it once around or laps? You are in the north east so I guess strong winds at this time of year can be a it on the cold and biting side? I spent one of the coldest winters (1974/5) of my life in Clacton - still east but of course a long way south of you. Best of luck with the Steve's rehab (I make him sound like Amy Winehouse!).

No disrespect to golfers (esp. Mel) but an afternoon stroll across an empty golf course was a great pleasure today.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - we did a crossword this morning from the weekend paper and one of the answers was 'caulk' - which made me remember our conversation a while back about people from your area being referred to as 'caulk-heads'.

Aquarius - we had two ladies in to do our decorating! If I'd been doing it myself I expect I'd have taken far longer than a couple of days (might even still be doing it!). The U3A AGM went off remarkably well considering it was all done remotely via Zoom. There was even a way of voting on various agenda items which wasn't something I'd seen on Zoom before. Glad to read you've been progressing with your C25K programme .. hope the winds aren't too strong for your run on Thu.

JB - I try my best at being informed about what I'm buying and not be swayed by the advertising blurb. I expect my friend Forrest used to get that shouted at him a lot in the past - maybe not so much now. But tbh, I daren't ask as I'd imagine it could be a sore point with him. Re the fig tree, I was hoping we might be able to move it but given the size it was, I suspect the roots go deeper than I think. So I'd imagine it will be a struggle to dig it up - will let you know whenever I get around to trying. I've mentioned before we live near Cleeve Hill which has a golf course on it - I'd imagine walkers on there at the moment are relieved they're not having to look out for flying golf balls at the moment.

I'm planning a 6ml run tomorrow morning and I see the forecast is for cooler than it has been for a few days (9 degrees) and with a 15mph wind. I'm toying with the idea of wearing my tracksters for the first time but kind of hoping I can still get away with my shorts for a little bit longer.

And apologies for my schoolboy humour (and I hope I don't offend anyone) but I'm sure there's nothing remotely funny about today's Google Doodle - 'celebrating Fanny Eaton' ;-)
    edited November 2020
    Mel, back on the pick axe for me today. And this was just fairly shallow roots so the fig tree would be a real challenge! Also extended one of our vegetable beds. Funnily enough I kept whingeing to Mrs JB abut the matting together of all the root systems and how hard this made the task. Eventually I discovered that there was some actual carpet buried in the plot - no wonder it was matted, it was a mat! Apologies if this is sounding like The Archers.
    Good luck for you 6 miler.

Pleased to report no bad side effects to the Achilles following my run yesterday, but will probably hold fire until Saturday before I go out again.
  • WtnMel - is your friend really called Forrest? I thought it must be a nickname because he is a runner. Good luck for tomorrow’s run, the weather isn’t looking great I know. We’re keeping an eye on it and will decide tomorrow morning whether to risk the windy reservoir, or stick to our Derwent Walk, which is a little bit more sheltered along the tree lined bits. I can’t believe you are still in shorts, We’ve been in running leggings (and gloves) for the last couple of weeks. Your comment re today’s Google Doodle reminded me of my husband’s response some years ago when I told him I was reading a book by the 18th century author Fanny Burney. “Is that really someone’s name? I thought it was a medical condition”  :o

JB - no need to apologise for sounding like the Archers - i have to admit I am an Archers fan.
    Our reservoir is quite big, but it’s not possible to run right around it. The path only goes half way round the reservoir (which is itself about 3.5 miles long) after that you have to use the local roads if you want to run a complete circuit to get  back to your starting point. At the moment we just run a mile or so in one direction then turn around and head back. A few years ago I did a trail race at the reservoir which was an out and back along the path, 7 miles in total.
    Glad to hear your Achilles suffered no ill effects from your run, although it's probably sensible to leave it a couple more days before venturing out again.

No running today, but instead a very windy but pleasant 3 mile walk along some country roads.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

Just logged on and there is a lot to catch up with. I'll comment on your posts tomorrow.

Ran a very easy 5 miles on roads this morning and tomorrow will be a reps session.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Morning all,

JB - I've never felt the need to listen to the Archers. Mrs WM does and the odd snippets I've heard before running out of the room don't inspire me to change the habits of a lifetime. Your carpet buried in the garden sounds similar to when I was working in the garden at my house, removing a layer of stones in a border and digging it over. Couldn't work out at first why it was such hard work - discovered the people who had laid the stones had used the strong plastic sacks they came in as a barrier against weeds (completely ineffectual as it turned out). Glad to hear your achilles is okay and good luck with your run on Sat.

Aquarius - I wondered at first if Forrest might be a nickname but he has his own financial advice company and he's there listed as a director so it must be his real name. Hope the weather is kind for you whichever route you decide to run. I'm afraid I'd have probably also sniggered at the mention of an author called Fanny Burney. 

HS - well done re your 5ml easy run which I saw on Strava and today's planned reps session.

No rain today and although there was a bit of a breeze, I felt fine running in my shorts, thermal top and a t-shirt and didn't bother with gloves either. As I mentioned, my clubmate Forrest wasn't available this morning so I did a solo run (#notpub2pub #35). I set off slower than usual and I'm pleased to report I managed 7mls at 11:15mm pace with no walk breaks apart from crossing roads and dodging other pedestrians. It was quite busy in places - at one point I crossed the road to avoid a dog-walker, then had to re-cross to avoid a runner coming the other way. Only to realise there was a faster runner approaching quickly .. so I ran as close to the edge of the pavement as I could while she whizzed past me and disappeared into the distance.

No rest for the wicked - it's garden waste day tomorrow so once I've got my energy back I need to go into the garden and chop back some more of our laurel hedge to fill the bin up.
  • WtnMel: Well done on your 7 mile run today, and not a bad time either. You must be made of tougher stuff than us, we were in long sleeve thermal tops, leggings, gloves and buffs today at the reservoir - and we were still freezing!
    Is tomorrow your last garden bin collection this year? Our last one was on Monday, but we’ve had so much rain lately Steve wasn’t able to give the grass its final cut over the weekend as he had planned to do, so when he does manage to get it cut we’ll have the grass clippings to get rid of. Originally the garden waste collection was meant to continue until the first week in December, but coronavirus put paid to that as the council has had to redeploy staff to cover shortages in other waste collection areas. I think the deciding factor was that last year hardly anyone put their garden bins out for the last couple of collections, so cutting it short this year probably makes sense.

HS: how did your reps session go today?

As mentioned above, we went to the reservoir this morning for our 28 min run. Luckily the overnight strong winds had blown themselves out, and the sun was shining. It was still rather breezy though and very cold. The sort of cold that takes your breath away when you first step out of the car. Steve struggled in the first mile with his breathing and had to walk for a short while because his chest felt tight, but he soon got going again and managed fine, with a couple of “mini breathers” as the opening and closing of farm gates along the way gave us the chance to get our breath back. :)
    edited November 2020
    Aquarius/Mel - good to hear that you got out today and filled the lungs. Not as cold down here as it sounds elsewhere. That 7 miler from Mel sounds very good. I think anything over an hour takes you (or me, at any rate) into a different (and uncomfortable) training zone.

Aquarius - you sound as though you live in a really rural area (farm gates, reservoir etc)?  

I managed my first ever 6k today - on the rower. The achievement wasn't really the distance but that I did it at the same pace I've been rowing 3ks. Conclusion? I've been doing the 3ks too slowly!

PS Mrs JB and I were big Archers fans, But lockdown did it no favours and also they seem to have gone down the 'youth' road these days to widen the audience. Unfortunately every  character under 30 sounds so crass and unconvincing that they make the off-switch very tempting. We've just got into The Crown on Netflix, having ignored it for the first 3 series. Amongst its features is a rather eerily/scarily accurate portrayal of Mrs Thatcher by Gillian Anderson. I almost have to watch her from behind the sofa. In fact, even the Daleks would hide behind the sofa if they saw this!

I'm even further behind, but will do my best to catch up!

JB, that was an excellent run of yours on the 17th. 
    I don't think either Sarah or I dipped at the end of our 10 miler. If I had, I would probably have gone base over apex.
    Good that your Achilles seems to be ok.

WtnMel, you are right, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles!
    Regarding new laptop, the dealer I have the maintenance contract with, always offers me a range of products, specs, price etc so that I can make my selection. They always wipe my laptop clean, and part exchange it.
    I remember our discussion about "caulk heads," but can't remember what brought the subject up.
    I haven't listened to the Archers since I was a lad and my parents listened to it. "Evening all, yes It's me Tom Forest, I'd better start telling you about what's going on in Ambridge." "I'm worried about Jim!"😁
    Well done for this mornings run, I commented on Strava.
    I'm still wearing shorts, but did wear two tops this morning. the wind was bitter.🌬

Aquarius, yes we were pleased with our virtual Oakhaven 10 mile forest run on Monday, and I did have a rest day on Tuesday.
    Good that you made it to week 8 of the couch to 5k.
    I see that you made it to the reservoir today, but that it was very cold. Good that Steve made it ok, despite struggling during the first mile with his breathing. I find that icy winds tend to "take my breath away."

I hope I haven't missed anything out, but did read all of your posts.

The beard is coming on well, and it is now a week since  last shaved. I don't think I will keep it for too long, but just want to see if it's white or grey. I don't want to look like Grandad in Fools and Horses.
    Yesterday was a really relaxing 5 mile road run, at a very pedestrian pace, recovering from Mondays 10 miles.
    Todays rep session went really well but was tough. The session was one that Mara Yamauchi introduced to the club a couple of years ago, when she visited for a training session. As you may remember, she is second fastest marathon woman to Paula Radcliffe. There were two sets of 3 minutes at 10k pace with 2 minutes recovery, and 3 x 1 minute at faster than 5k pace with one minute recoveries between each.
    Sarah F and I are doing another virtual 10 mile race on the 29th November, and I will post the details tomorrow, so that I will have "something to say."

JB, our posts crossed!  Well done for your first 6k on the rower.

Today is a rest day, except for the usual Friday shopping, walking home with 4 heavy shopping bags, and the series of stretches etc.
    Tomorrow will be the forest 5k and Monday a recce 10 miles on roads, for the virtual Bournemouth 10 mile race on the 29th with Sarah F. There are age category prizes for the 1st in each, so we will treat as a "a real race!" It will be difficult to maintain race pace, I believe, with no other faster runners to chase and overtake.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Aquarius - yes, I was happy to manage 7 miles and not feel completely spent afterwards. I'd imagine it's colder where you are at the moment as from experience, it's cold enough on the beach at the end of September! ;) Our garden waste collections carry on throughout the year. I'm still pondering whether I need to cut the lawns one final time. Well done re your reservoir run.

JB - well done re your 6k on the rowing machine. I couldn't understand the monologues on the Archers (was aware, even though I don't listen) because I couldn't help think a radio programme would be ideal for people to record their parts of the script and then it could all be spliced together. We don't have Netflix and have no plans to get it. And I don't know if it's just me, but I can't quite see the appeal of watching a programme with people pretending to be the royal family and fictionalised version of events we've all been aware of anyway?

HS - good to have a dealer you can trust to give you advice re a new laptop. Re Only Fools & Horses, no telling if you'll end up looking like Grandad or Uncle Albert. Well done re the relaxing 5ml run and the reps session.

I ran early this morning. You could tell it was early on a Saturday as there was hardly anyone else around (1 pedestrian, 2 dog-walkers, 4 other runners). Just 4.5mls for me this morning and unlike some other mornings, I felt full of energy and got quicker as the run progressed (11:24 10:32 10:31 10:22 6:45).

Nothing organised for today apart from a zoom call at 4pm for our granddaughter's 12th birthday.
  • Good afternoon folks. Just finished reading up on the past weeks posts, during which I have been very busy with DIY jobs at both of my daughters houses. Getting more confident at plumbing, but it's bound to end in tears when I tackle a bigger job at home. Looks like most are getting the miles in and achieving some pretty good times, despite testing conditions. Well done all.
    Been a little distracted by the above DIY during the past two weeks and, hence, my running has suffered slightly, in terms of mileage and times. Also, still resting my shoulder and now a bruised index finger joint. Think the latter was picked up whilst attempting a new one-armed hang record on the pull-up bars. I'm up to 10 seconds now, but no more for a week or so. 
    I've been playing with 'plotaroute.com', trying to plan new 5K, 10K and 15K routes, beginning at my front door. Looks like I'll have to contemplate driving to somewhere to get a bit more variety into my running. Enjoy your weekends.
  • HS, you have some nice runs coming up. Great to have the opportunity for a race albeit a virtual one. You must have a good chance of a placing in your age cat. Even with no 'competitors' I bet your competitive juices will be flowing. I guess you'll all be running different courses? If so, find a flat one!

Mel, nice to get faster as the run progresses and usually a good sign of fitness. We share our Netflix with our daughter-in-law and we are the guests i.e. it's free for us. Mind you we spent silly amounts on our  Virgin package mainly because of my sport addiction. So today I'll catch 2 rugby games and 2 football games. Sad but true.

RM. really impressed by your home improvement efforts for your daughters. I am beyond useless at this sort of thing. Today was a bit of an exception and I was almost useful when I helped transport 3 heavy and awkward potted blueberry bushes in our car to my younger son's allotment. This was hard graft by my lowly standards. That pull up bar has done you no favours!

Did my usual 3 miler along the usual prom route into the teeth of the usual howling gale (well not quite). Managed 22.42 which was reasonable and even resulted in a very rare if close (2 seconds) victory over my training partner (who was running 5K). Lots of runners out and about and good to see.

edited November 2020
    Looks like I'm replying to my own post which is the thread equivalent to talking to oneself.
    So I'll make this a quickie: 6 miles in 47:50 today. A bit of an improvement in my performances of late and this is down to one thing and one thing only: a windless day!

PS: HS, thinking about it, I'm now of the view your Bournemouth 10 mile could well be over the same course but at no set time?
  • Good afternoon all,

JB - Well done on that impressive victory over your training partner yesterday (what if it was just 2 seconds? :) ) it was a great time for 3 miles. Today’s 6 miles in 47.50 is equally impressive, have you worked out your WAVA for that?

HS -  your club reps session sounds brutal, but no doubt you’ll reap the rewards in the coming weeks. Well done for persevering with the beard. Steve grew one once, many years ago and I seem to remember him complaining about how itchy it was until it really got going. I must admit I’ve always been very grateful that I haven’t had to face the daily task of shaving, one of the perks of being a woman I suppose. Good luck with your virtual 10 mile Bournemouth race next weekend, not that you need any luck with your current form being as good as it is. I’m sure you’ll do really well on the day. Will it be all road or a combination of road and trail?

WtnMel - I was thinking the same thing about the Archers lockdown monologues, why on earth couldn’t the BBC have managed to record their contributions separately then splice them together somehow? Well done for your run yesterday, a good increase in pace as your run progressed.

Redmist - I see you’ve been DIYing a lot recently, well done you! I bet your daughters are very grateful for your help. Sorry to hear about the bruised finger joint, and the continuing sore shoulder - those pull up bars will have to go! 

We had another trip to the reservoir yesterday for our 28 min run and this time Steve managed much better. It wasn’t quite as cold as last time, but it was still rather breezy. We had a nice tail wind on the outward section, but of course that meant we were running into it coming back, which definitely slowed us up somewhat. We think we’ll repeat this week’s sessions before moving on to the last week of the programme, which is 3 days of 30 mins running. Our next run day will be on Tuesday, so we’re keeping fingers crossed that the strong winds don’t return. I’ve signed up for a virtual 5k trail run next month. The idea is to run it as many times as you like during December then submit your best time. As I’m only doing about 2.5 mile runs at the moment, and no hill work or speed work, I’m not expecting any fast times. I’m hoping that once this Couch to 5k programme finishes I can go back to my usual training runs, and maybe just occasionally accompany Steve on his runs. I’m expecting this virtual trail race will show me just how much my fitness has been impacted by cutting back on my usual training.
    I spent most of Friday checking out broadband deals and TV packages, then armed with that information I rang our current broadband supplier (BT) and TV supplier (Sky).  A good outcome in both cases - I’ve managed to upgrade our current BT broadband package to a much faster one, and for less than we are currently paying, plus we’re getting the first three months free! Although we get our TV through Sky we get the BT sports channels from BT (it just works out cheaper that way), but recently it went up by £6 a month. I managed to get BT to give me an £8 reduction on that package and again with the first three months free. Flushed with success I then rang Sky to see if they would do anything on the price of our TV package and got that upgraded to a slightly better package for £20 less that we are currently paying. Crazy isn’t it?

WtnMel, yes I must contact Andy, the chap that services my laptop when required, in accordance with the maintenance contract. I'm not sure whether computer shops are allowed to be open though.
    It's always good to be able to increase your pace as the run progresses. It's all about pacing; setting off too quickly, usually results in slowing down later.
    I hope the zoom call with your Granddaughter was really nice!

Redmist, I see that you have been promoted to 3 stars!
    Well done for all the DIY jobs that you have been doing. I'm afraid that I am at the age now, where I prefer to get a professional in. 
    I now have several courses on my Garmin which I have inputted from runs on Garmin Connect and Strava. Tomorrows 10 mile recce is on my garmin, so it will be fun, following the map and arrows. This will be the course for Sundays virtual race.

JB, I will probably be the oldest in the 70 age category, as I will be 75 in a couple of weeks. It's possible though that I might be the only 70+ runner. The race organisers didn't provide a map of the Bournemouth race course, so we are free to run wherever we want, but must do it on the 29th. As I mentioned in my post to Redmist, I have a 10 mile course inputted to my Garmin, which one of our runners suggested. It's a road race, and this morning I jogged round the first and last parts. The first couple of miles were nearly all uphill, so we wont have to start off too quickly.
    Well done for your 3 and 6 mile runs, very speedy! Also for beating your training partner.

Aquarius, thanks, the reps session was brutal, but hopefully should help me to increase my pace. Since the first lockdown I have done structured training sessions mid week, and 5k's every Saturday. Yesterdays was the 35th successive not a parkrun.
    The beard is into its second week now, and growing fast. I don't think that I will keep it for too long though, it's just for a bit of fun really. I did grow a beard in my 30's and eventually shaved it off, leaving a moustache which  I kept for several years. They were trendy in those days.  
    The race on Sunday will be all on road, which is a shame, but important, as if and when competitive races return, I will need to have  put a lot of road miles in.
    That's good news that Steve managed the 28 minutes round the reservoir. Those virtual trail run 5k's sound good, especially as you will be able to submit your quickest time. I hope that you haven't lost too much fitness by sticking to the couch to 5k programme, but am sure that it will soon return once you commence your normal training again.
    Congratulations on your negotiating skills, you have certainly saved a lot of money!

Yesterdays 5k was the first that I have run solo for many weeks, and it was very difficult  maintaining the effort. Nevertheless, it was the quickest for several weeks. This morning was a very easy pace 5 miles on roads, recceing the first and last parts of tomorrows 10 mile recce.
  • HS, thanks for the clarification on the 10 mile event and well done on your speedy 5k. Oh how I remember those terrible 1970s moustaches! (I had one myself and that's one reason why I seldom look at our wedding photos. Mind you, my mother -in-law had one too!)

Aquarius, that's brilliant negotiation. I think we could do with you on the Brexit negotiating team................

You asked about the WAVA for my run. I'm glad you did as I was pleasantly surprised as it just crept over the 70% @ 70.33%. However, and this I didn't expect as I'm always stronger on shorter runs, my Saturday 3 miler was 69.59%. Windy Saturday; windless Sunday!
  • JB - haha, at least your mother in law stopped short of a beard 😂
  • Breaking news - Matt Hancock has a new tie !! (It’s still pink though 😁)
  • JB: I'm afraid the DIY is more a matter of financial necessity, but not as impressive as it sounds really. Given the right tools for the job and YouTube tutorials, almost all jobs are possible. From a 'DIY useless' beginning, I am now quite confident tackling small plumbing jobs, electrical work, carpentry, groundwork (including drain laying), small plastering jobs, guttering, painting and decorating and small roofing jobs. Currently waiting for my wife to go on a long shopping trip so that I can replace a couple of dodgy roof tiles. For some reason, she doesn't think I'll be safe on the roof.
    Whilst the pull-up bars have caused a few injuries, I am making great progress and feeling really good about it. I see you're still posting some impressive times and WAVA scores. One day Rodney, one day.
    My wedding album is in the attic for exactly the same reason. Who ever thought moustaches, long hair, stacked heels and flares would be a handsome combination. I cringe just thinking about those photos. 
    Aquarius: My daughters do, I'm sure, appreciate my efforts. However, they do tend to assume that I will always be available at the drop of a hat. Pretty much the same as with our child care arrangements, although I love it really. 
    I do envy your reservoir runs. Think I'll start driving to Pennington Flash (the UK Ironman swimming venue), which is only 5 miles from where I live. It's 5.4K all the way round and quite picturesque. Would need to invest in some trail running shoes. Respect re your haggling skills.
    Hillstrider: I'm with you on the slower paced starts. I used to head off as fast as I could and hang on in the latter stages until I discovered that working oneself into the run was more enjoyable and resulted in faster times. This is particularly useful for folk like me who don't warm up properly.
    Hadn't noticed the 3 stars but, then again, I'm not sure what it signifies, other than I have too much free time on my hands.
    My DIY efforts are mainly as a result of having 'professional' tradesmen in and doing a rubbish job at silly costs, such as £45 for hanging a door......badly. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Redmist - I'm happy to 'have a go' at some diy but draw the line at anything plumbing related (we have a local plumber we know and trust). Hope the shoulder and finger-joint have now recovered .. that pull-up bar sounds dangerous! :) My wedding album (along with the other photo albums) is in the spare room but never actually get looked at - no moustache in my case but the long hair and flares were definitely in evidence in those days. A friend of mine lives in Bolton and has done the Bolton Ironman several times. She's mentioned Pennington Flash several times and I think she might do some of her open-water swimming training there? Or maybe that was just where she swam when competing? 

JB - yes, I was very happy to see I had sped up as that run progressed. Apparently my partner's son has Netflix and she has the logon details so we 'could' watch stuff while he's working (apparently, that's the 'arrangement'). As far as sports are concerned, I don't follow any of them closely enough that means I 'need' to see them live and am happy to wait for the highlights programme to turn up. 6mls in 47:50 is a great time .. I'd be happy to get close to 66 mins myself. Well done re that +70% WAVA score.

Aquarius - re your comment about beards to HS .. one disadvantage of being a woman is (maybe mostly in the summer?) you have to shave your legs unlike us blokes? Although I gather some elite cyclists and swimmers do shave theirs too? Well done re your reservoir run and pleased to hear Steve managed better. Well done for your negotiating skills and getting some good deals from BT and Sky.

HS - I expect your computer shop is closed at present but maybe if you can get hold of him, your contact Andy could be starting work on deciding what new laptop to recommend? I have a friend who used to regularly place in the top three for her age category at parkrun - but she was always quick to point out that's only because she's the only lady still running at her age!

The zoom call to Margaret's son and our grand-daughter was nice but was over too soon. We had to stop chatting as the 'other' family wanted a zoom call with them too. Subsequently, we've heard the 'other' family call was actually a quiz. Margaret's son has had an extension built and had a ceiling that needed to be painted as an electrician was due the following day. So a quiz was the last thing they needed. But why they didn't just tell them they were too busy for a quiz is beyond me.

I ran early again this morning. Decided to make it a LSR and did 6mls at a slower pace than usual. It was fairly quiet apart from one point when a guy suddenly appeared alongside me (I'd not heard him coming up behind me) and it made me jump. And a bit later, I popped out from a side turn to cross a road and saw a lady was approaching quickly. I pulled in to let her pass and watched her disappear into the distance.
  • Good afternoon all,

JB, well done for your 70.33 WAVA, mine for Saturdays 5k was 69.27%. I'll be 75 in a few days which should make a slight difference to them, but not as much as you would expect.
    On the subject of retrospective fashions etc. I watched a programme on Freeview channel 11 last night featuring Twiggy. It was fascinating seeing all the fashions, Carnaby Street, Mods, The Who and the Stones as relative unknowns. Brought back nostalgic memories, as I was there, working in London, and would sometimes see the then unknown superstars of the future in Denmark Street (Tin Pan Alley) So lucky to have been a teenager then, and not today.

Aquarius, yes I noticed his new pink tie, which had a bit of sparkle. I wonder if his wife buys them for him.

Redmist,  do you remember clogs. I had a red pair😯. Bell bottom jeans and flower power, bells and beads, Mr Kipper ties, denim shirts, the swinging sixties!
    I used to start off in races too fast as well, and hanging on for dear life during the last mile or so. Nowadays my last mile or kilometre is usually the quickest. I tell my running friends that pacing is very important to run good times.
    I think that 3 stars are awarded after a certain number of posts have been made.

WtnMel, good to hear that you also had long hair and flares. One thing I noticed in the Twiggy programme was that almost everyone was smoking. It also featured a coffee bar in Richmond, which was one I used to visit at times. I didn't see myself in it. It made me think that all those young fresh faced teenagers are now in their seventies, and grandparents.
    I think that the computer shop will probably be closed at present, especially as it is very small, and difficult to space 2 metres.
    Well done for another early morning run. Most of mine commence at 8.30am, as I never run before breakfast, and like to give it time to digest.

Yesterdays 10 mile recce run with Sarah F went well, and there was only one slight hiccup with my navigation following the course on my Garmin.
    It was a course that Dan, who sets up various challenges, had run previously and recommended it. We are now looking forward to "the real thing" on Sunday. It won't be a particularly quick time as it is quite hilly, but we will give it our best shots as we are hoping to be first in our respective age categories.
    Today is a rest day.
  • Afternoon everyone

Redmist - as someone who isn’t keen on DIY that is an impressive list of skills you’ve gained. I hope you do manage to get to Pennington Flash, it sounds like a nice location and 5.4k is a comfortable distance for a run. I find at our reservoir we rarely come across many other people (as long as it’s not the height of summer) so it is a pleasant run and in nice surroundings. Our more usual route, although closer to home, is always busy as it’s popular with dog walkers, cyclists and runners. 

JB - Yes, I thought those weekend runs of yours would result in good WAVA scores,  and they are excellent, particularly the longer Sunday run at over 70%. I hope you aren’t feeling any ill effects in your Achilles?

WtnMel - Well done for another 6 mile run. I think runners, like cyclists, should ring a bell or shout a warning when overtaking. I’m usually in a world of my own when running and often get startled when someone passes me. Perhaps those Zoom calls could have been rearranged for a more convenient time? I would have been straining at the leash to get away and get that ceiling painted.

HS - you must have been a fashion icon in your day, bell bottom jeans, kipper ties, bells and beads. :D Actually my friend and I quite fancied ourselves as flower power people, god knows what we looked like, but in our minds we were the bees knees (I wonder where that odd expression comes from?)
    Good to hear your 10 mile recce went well. Fingers crossed now for Sunday, good luck in your age category, I know you like hilly courses - lets hope the others in your category don’t!

I see the 2021 Diamond League calendar has just been announced. This summer if everything had gone to plan there would have been a DL at Gateshead, which is quite local to us. We’d bought tickets and were really looking forward to going. When Covid put a stop to athletics we assumed Gateshead would, like all the other DLs, just be moved to the 2021 calendar. Rather disappointingly it’s been left out. 
    On the subject of athletics, one of our club members was up for a World Masters Athlete of the Year award in the Athletics Weekly magazine, but I couldn’t log in to my account to vote for her as my log in details no longer worked. This was because AW has recently changed hands and now has a revamped website which existing members have to re-register on. For some reason my membership number had changed and when I finally got it sorted out it was too late to vote, which was rather annoying. Until a few weeks ago AW used to be owned by the Great Run company, who also staged Great Run Local (the Sunday equivalent of parkrun) but whereas parkrun takes place in hundreds of different locations Great Run Local was only held in a handful of places around the country. We were lucky enough to have one of them at Gibside, which coincidentally is also where I do parkrun (when its on) although the courses are slightly different. I only found out about the Gibside Great Run Local fairly recently, so have only managed to do a couple of them before lockdown came in. I was really upset to get an email earlier this month advising that they wouldn’t be starting up again after Covid because the Great Run company would no longer fund them. This, coming on top of the sale of AW, sounds to me like the GR Co are having to make some severe financial savings. It’ll be interesting to see how many of their big events they’ll be able to stage once mass participation athletics is allowed to start up again. 

We did our reservoir run again this morning and managed without any problems, so if the remaining two runs scheduled for this week go as well it’s looking good to move on to week 9 next week. I just got back in time for a shower, a bite of toast, then it was time for my Zoom Pilates. I’m quite pleased with the results I’m getting from Pilates, it’s definitely firming and strengthening my core as well as helping my posture. It’s strange to think that this is all thanks to Covid, I don’t live close enough to attend the “proper” classes  that take place at the coast, but during the first lockdown the Pilates teachers decided to switch their classes to Zoom, meaning I was able to take part after all.
    edited November 2020
    Wow - a flurry of posting.

RM, as you listed each of your DIY competences my self worth sunk incrementally. Could I trade a few minutes off my 6 mile times for some of your skill sets? I'm another who doesn't warm up properly but who then often heads off like a nutter. This is not in anyway related to my injury record! 

HS, we are both hovering around that 70% WAVA. I think that birthday of yours might make the difference. (But mine's only a month away too!)

Aquarius, on your earlier post, I've always though that Matt would look good with one of those flashing bow-ties that spin around. I won't say what I'd like to see around Boris's neck as I might get a call  from Special Branch!
    On my injuries, it takes me about 3 days to recover - and then I'm in tip-top shape to do it all over again! We had a Great Local Run quite near us but I've never got around to doing it.

Mel, welcome to the Embarrassing Wedding Photos Club. I have to pick RM up on one point though. At 5'6" I was always something of a fan of stacked heels. I'm not sure why, but it might have something to do with the fact that (ex-super model, of course) Mrs JB is 5'8"! Like Aquarius, I was a bit of a closet hippie.

No run for me today. A session at the allotment where the soil is now very easy to 'work'. Still returned knackered though. Spoke to someone there who is selling up and moving to the middle of nowhere in mid-Wales to live a green lifestyle.  Admirable in its way if with a high risk of being bored to death. An allotment in a town is one thing; a few acres in Wales is another.

I've been loving that documentary series on Oscar Pistorius. It's in 4 parts on BBC I-player and I'm about to get on to episode 4. I'm trying to hold back for to watch it tomorrow.

edited November 2020
    Today a bit of a different run. I thought I'd try to do 1.5 miles* in under 10.30. I failed. Managed 10.41 with 1 mile at 7.03 and then slowed down as the full force of the wind + fatigue hit me. Funnily enough the WAVA at 70.61% was pretty much in line with recent 3 and 6 mile run. I'm hoping that the intensity (it was hard) will help improve my 3 mile efforts.
    Also - off topic - I saw something on You Tube which was quite astonishing. An 80 year old doing pull ups with a 90lb weight attached! My goodness me. Something for RM (and me) to target?

*I chose this distance for 2 reasons. Firstly, some will recall the book by Dr K. Cooper in the 80s that had a huge impact and possibly sparked on the whole aerobics revolution. In that book he took the 1.5 mile run as the benchmark for fitness (I'll dig out the book later as it's still gathering dust somewhere); secondly, the 10.30 time for this distance is the minimum requirement for admission into the US Navy SEALS! So I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw my application and the door to yet another career slams shut in my face........

PS just checked the Vo2 max: 48.7 (HS you did this a few weeks ago and had similar, I think?)
  • hillstrider: Didn't own a pair of clogs, despite one of the foremost clog makers in the country having a shop nearby. I still have my denim shirt. I think I was a cross, dress wise and musically, between a rocker and hippie (hicker/roppie?). I remember going to a number of festivals, including the Lincoln folk festival and the infamous Weely rock festival in the early 70's. Great days.
    JB: I'm up for a DIY skills/run time trade. I can retrain the DIY stuff, but I doubt I'll ever reach your level of running again. Smashing 1.5mile time, by the way. Sad news re the Navy Seals application, but I hear they are recruiting in a number of state militia groups.
    An 80 year old!!! That's just soul destroying. I'm intrigued as to where he (sexist assumption) had the 90lb weight attached.  

Aquarius, that must be very disappointing, Gateshead being omitted from the 2021 GL, especially as you had purchased tickets.
    I haven't bought AW for years, but was a regular poster on their forum. Over the years, the number of contributors dwindled, and I doubt whether it still exists. Another couple of websites that  I used to post on, finished years ago, they were Paula Radcliffes and Kelly Holmes. At one time they were very popular, but I suppose things move on, and Paula and Kelly are just history to youngsters today.
    Another disappointment must be the fact that your GGRL won't be reinstated after the Covid is under control.
    Good news that the reservoir run went well, and you will soon be moving on to week 9 of the couch to 5k.
    Also good that your zoom Pilates is producing results.

JB, I remember wearing platform sole shoes. They were very fashionable for a time. I was a Mod before moving on to the hippy, flower power stage. I was at Brighton that infamous year of the Mods and Rockers punch up on the beach. 
    Your 7.03 minute mile is very impressive, and I would have thought that it would merit a higher WAVA rating. That's interesting, the 1.5 mile being used as a benchmark for fitness. Do you know off hand what that is in k's to save me calculating it. I know, 1 mile is 1.6 k, so presume 1.5 miles is 2.4 k. That was easy, no need for you to check! Must try that on one of our Wednesday training sessions.
    I've taken part in several Army and Navy basic fitness tests in the past, and easily passed. In one Navy test I came first, and the WO, gave the men a real bollxxxing, saying that they were not only beaten by an old man, but a fxxxxng civilian. I was in my forties, so I suppose that did seem old to them.
    Your Vo2 max of 48.7is excellent and puts you in the superior category, my  best recent was 48. Garmin connect only shows round numbers.

Redmist, I no longer have any denim shirts, but I remember mine had button down collars. I only went to one festival, and it was the Jazz and blues festival at Richmond rugby ground. I went with my very first girl friend to impress her, but we didn't chose the best day. The only band of note was Gary Farr and the T Bones. The following day featured the Rollin' Stones!

Today was another structured hill training session comprising 2 sets of 3 different hills, which were connected at the top. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - you wouldn't believe some of my previous fashions .. actually, you probably would if I mentioned a tie-dye 'grandad' vest teamed with embroidered loon pants. As I think I mentioned, I don't run on 'empty' - always have a cup of tea and half a cereal bar before heading out for my run. I had some clogs and had kept them hanging around for years (no idea why!). It was only recently I donated them to an arts charity Margaret fund-raises for so someone could use them to decorate.

Aquarius - the guy did shout out but only when he came alongside me. If I'm coming up behind someone and they don't seem to be aware and I can't give them a wide berth, I shout out 'passing right' or something similar so they know I'm there and which way to move. I would definitely have said 'thanks, but no thanks' if I'd had decorating to do by a certain time and someone wanted to do a zoom call. I checked and there are various theories about the bees knees - the most popular ones are it was introduced as part of an American craze for animal-themed sayings .. the other is its an alliteration of 'the business' (meaning it's the ideal solution to something). That's a shame the DL meeting at Gateshead hasn't been moved to 2021. Well done re yesterday's reservoir run and glad to hear your zoom pilates lessons are still paying dividends.

JB - I guess even in the back of beyond of Wales its possible there would be a wifi signal so you could at least order stuff online. But if that person at the allotment is going to live a green lifestyle, maybe that's something they want to get away from? I decided not to watch the Oscar Pistorius programmes as the reviews I read seemed to imply they glamorised him and didn't mention Reeva Steenkamp much. But obviously, not having seen the programmes, I have no idea of the truth of those comments. I have an idea the '1.5mls in a certain time limit' was the requirement in one of the fly-on-the-wall documentaries I saw about people wanting to join the army. 

Redmist - I was a weekend hippie and was at Weeley Festival in 1971. I remember the Hells Angels causing aggro and trying to muscle in on the concessions stands (the 'pie' men). That ended with the pie men winning the fight and the HA's having some of their bikes trashed and them beating a retreat. I also remember getting bored with the music/atmosphere at that festival and leaving my friends early, thereby missing the worst of the crowds at the train station.

My right knee, which was twinging a bit yesterday, seems to be okay today. I've been doing some stretching as that is something I haven't been doing before my run since I started going out early. I'm sure the lack of stretching is the cause of the problem. One of my clubmates said she'd been trying to soldier on with a twinge in her knee and ended up injured, so told me not to make the same mistake!

I'd usually run on a Thu but am taking Margaret to the eye clinic for a check-up .. so I expect I'll run on Fri morning instead as it will be busier than I want later in the day. So I'd better try not to yawn too much when we have our zoom chat with my friends Alan and Diana later on Fri morning.