Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, our posts crossed yet again! I'm awaiting the phone call from the garage advising that the car has passed its MoT and been serviced🤞
    Just had the call, all ok!
    Hope your knee is ok now, and not aggravated by all that digging!
    That's interesting that you are doing a touch typing course. Any particular reason, ie so you don't take as long typing on here🤣
    I think that I advised many moons ago on here that I learnt to touch type at night school whilst a teenager. In those days the typewriters were where you had to hit the keys hard, and pull a lever at the end of each line to go down to the next. It used to ping when we did this. We had to do manual calculations to work out tabs etc. Sometimes we typed to music, and had to "ping" at the same time. I obtained an RSA certificate, and a local council one with credit. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would ever be using my skills typing on a laptop. It's so much easier than a manual typewriter.

Redmist, I used to raise a lot of sponsorship money during my early racing days, but haven't done so since I retired. I do sponsor other runners though. 
    That's amazing losing 10lbs in a week!
    I find that I feel more comfortable when running quicker, than during recovery pace runs. I suppose that it is due to the quicker cadence, and being lighter on the feet.

JB, thanks, the car passed its MoT with no problems, and has had its annual service. I had driven less than a thousand miles due to the pandemic, and only using it for essential journeys. I remember during the original lockdown, a driver was fined as she said that the reason she was driving was to charge up the battery!
    500 press-ups is still very impressive and something that I wouldn't ever contemplate.
    On the subject of challenges, I suppose mine is to keep on running and remaining competitive in my age category.  I'm looking forward to tomorrows forest 5k which won't be quick as the Monday gang are doing the virtual Salisbury 10 mile race on Monday. It will also be Jane's birthday, so we will have cake and prosecco after. We will be doing it off road on the Oakhaven 10 mile course. The organisers had decided not to have the actual road race in 2021, hence the virtual to recoup some of the costs of the t shirts and medals. There won't be any prizes, just the t shirt and medals, which is good for the £7.50 entry fee.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - I'm glad to hear your friend Sarah has to remind you from time to time you are 75 :) I see you had cold hands after your run. I invested in a long-sleeved thermal top which has 'wrap-over' bits on the arms so you can cover your hands until you have warmed up. My abiding memory of having very cold hands was when doing the Ridgeway Path and I was out on a horrible, wet, windy day. It was springtime when we walked the path so I hadn't considered I would need gloves. Margaret was worn out from the previous few day's walking so had wisely opted to get her son to transport her to the hotel in Wendover. I was unable to phone and let her know I was okay because my fingers were numb and the touchscreen wasn't responding. And by the time I arrived at the hotel, very bedraggled and wet, I wasn't able to undo my buttons on my coat and shirt. Glad to hear your car passed it's MOT. I do remember you mentioning you learned touch typing 'in your yoof'. This course I'm doing includes various 'games' along with the practise of letters, to keep you motivated. 

Redmist - well done for persevering with your run. I agree - someone who does a 7x7 marathon challenge is far more deserving of the SPOTY award than any of the others they've selected this year. I'm only attempting to learn to touch-type because my two-finger typing, which has served me well for many years, seems to be getting a bit erratic. I figured it would be an interesting exercise to try and learn to touch type and improve my typing speed.

JB - you've reminded me of a lecturer when I was at college. He was a bit of a stickler for time-keeping .. we proved this by all of us being several minutes late for one lecture and when we trooped into the empty room, he said. "Morning gentelmen .. we've already started". We sneaked a look at his lecture notes and they had timings down the left-hand margin and even included the jokes to tell at various points.

Not done a lot today. I went to fetch some dry-cleaning for Margaret but they had closed early, presumably due to lack of customers, so I'll pop along there in the morning. I had to pop into Tesco to get some razor blades - I forgot to put exactly which ones I wanted and when Margaret was presented with the 'wall' of all the different types, she figured she might get the wrong ones. Anyway, it gave me an excuse to get some fresh air and I was not too surprised (given the great British public being left to use their common sense), how many people are still wandering the streets without a facemask. My friend Alan and I had a zoom call earlier as we weren't playing golf. I don't think it's possible to say anything but I think his partner needs to learn a little more 'zoom etiquette' - she kept chatting over the top of us and it got a bit frustrating after a while! ;)
  • Options
    Mel, like the anecdote about the lecturer. I too was a stickler for time-keeping, but I wasn't sad enough to write a script including the jokes. I've never heard of anyone doing that - so your story is a collector's piece! On SPOTY, I shall be watching but it's far from the must-see it used to be. I guess Hamilton will win and fair enough, but I'm not in any way a petrol-head. It used to be a bit of a highlight of the viewing year for me.

HS, good news about the car. On your new  reduced annual mileage, at least motoring costs are curtailed. A very small bit of sliver lining to the terrible cloud that is Covid.

Today, I did my standard 3 mile prom run: 22.30. A bit disappointed with this, but there was a stiff wind. 

I've found a race I might enter! It's one of a series of 5K events and is on 2/01/21 i.e two weeks. My pal was marshalling at one in the series last weekend. The standard was unbelievably high - sub 15 minutes was not uncommon; many of the 60-64 men were under 20. My projected time of 23.00 would put me near the very bottom of the field - possibly last! Quite how they keep out the riff-raff like me, I'm not sure. However, given that we might well be in a national lockdown shortly after Xmas I'll wait until I decide to enter as it could well be cancelled. (I might be a bit relieved if it is!)

I had such high hopes of 2020 what with coming into it as a 'young' 65 year old. Like everyone else, for me this year has been a damp squib. However, as with HS and I guess all of us, it's been nice just to keep going. (If ever there was a count your blessings year.....) And there has been one bonus - the last time I checked I'd manage to sneak into the top 200 for my age category for parkrun. This was on the strength of one decent run but more because all parkruns finished only a few months into the year and thus many of the quicker guys missed the opportunity.

I heard from an ex-colleague today, a lovely Italian guy. His dad died from Covid and both of his in-laws are in hospital with it. Back to the counting of blessings.................

Happy running!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi JB,

The others are obviously out running! ;)

Re SPOTY, depends on your definition of 'sport' to a large extent when considering who should get the award. I'm not sure they've explained why they've cut it down to six this year? And personality doesn't actually seem to enter into it - perhaps it's time for a re-brand? Given I'm not a follower of F1, sitting in a car driving very fast doesn't seem to warrant any sort of award. I do follow other motorsports like Moto GP, Formula-E and BTCC where there is at least, fairly constant overtaking and a degree of skill is involved. I gave up on F1 years ago when it became a procession more often than not. I don't have time for snooker players either but I'll make an exception when it comes to footballers, cricketers or boxers. Regardless, for once, I don't really care who wins. I'd expect it to be Hamilton, despite what Tyson Fury might think about being the (cough) 'peoples champion'. He's obviously got a high opinion of himself - he just comes over as a loud-mouthed idiot to me. Don't be too disappointed re your 3ml prom run - that's a decent time. That's a shame about your ex-colleagues news re family succumbing to covid.

I ran this morning but it was a bit of a plod. Possibly due to me not having a good night's sleep but it was a disappointing pace (11:40mm) compared to Oct/Nov when I was managing 10:40mm pace on a regular basis. I consoled myself with my lack of training lately due to the knee problem (only my 3rd run this month) and hopefully, the times will start to improve again in January when I can get back into a regular routine.
  • Options
    Well, I did it. 16K yesterday, which was an absolute killer, and a final 10K today. To say I was on my last legs would be a bit of an understatement. I even left my watch off during the last two runs, just to save on weight. Back to enjoying my runs next week, after a couple of days rest.
    Well said JB. I spent 6 months this year delivering prescriptions to folk who were either in isolation or housebound and the experience really brought home how lucky I am. Blessings counted.
  • Options
    Good morning all,

WtnMel, yes cold hands are really "a pain" When I used to attend the club sessions in the evenings in the winter, I frequently had problems inserting the key in the front door lock, despite wearing thermal gloves. Another problem was with previous cars I had to insert a key in the door lock to open the door. Sometimes the lock was frozen and I actually had a specific de-icer for this purpose. Thankfully my current cars doors are operated by the key fob. 
    Good luck with your typing lessons, it's worth persevering, as it does make typing so much quicker, and more accurate. Gone are the days of using the circular typing eraser, or snopake!
    On the subject of lecture notes, I remember my boss had prepared a speech for a lecture, and asked me to have a look at it before the presentation. I noticed that he had put side notes like "pause awaiting applause" and "pause expecting laughter!"
    Re SPOTY, I don't think it has ever been about personality. Take Steve, Mr Interesting Davies, the ex snooker player, for example, and Nigel Mansell the racing driver. I'm not particularly interested in it any more, and couldn't care less who wins. I used to look forward to watching it each year, but no longer.
    Good that you got out for a run yesterday, but it is not surprising that it was slower than usual in the circumstances.

JB, yes I suppose the reduced costs of running a car this year has been one of the few benefits of the pandemic. Another has been the restrictions on shoppers being allowed in at the same time. 
    Another excellent 3 mile run by you.
    The standard of the 5k races that you mention does seem very high. I thought my 22.08 in the Brockenhurst parkrun when I was 65 was good, but probably not good enough for a prize in those races.

Redmist, very well done for achieving your target of 100k for the week. You certainly deserve a couple of rest days.

Yesterdays not a park run was the 39th and second slowest. We had a new lady running it with us, so that is my excuse🤣
    I'm having a rest day from running today, as tomorrow is the virtual Salisbury 10 mile race, which we are doing off road on the Oakhaven course. I've got the course on my Garmin watch, so it will interesting navigating😅
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Redmist - huge congratulations to you for finishing your challenge  🎈🎉

HS - I've invested in some 'winter' gloves for golf that I guess could possibly be used for running if I am desperate. But as they're quite thick, I'll try and stick to my woollen gloves and the aforementioned thermal top. My car (like most) has a key-fob but at least there IS a key. I'm not sure I'd want a keyless entry car as I'd wonder what happens if the battery in the fob dies? I shall be persevering with the touch-typing lessons. But it feels like I've reached a bit of a plateau at the moment - possibly one of several. There are quite a few letters have been introduced and I'm struggling to remember them at present and which finger to use. I'm sure it will eventually become second nature but I'm finding myself having to stop and think where is that key? And which finger am I supposed to be using? They do have an image at the top of the screen that shows what you should be doing - but I'm trying to resist the temptation to look at that too often. And I'm definitely resisting the temptation to look at my hands as that will defeat the object of the lessons. 

Those new golf gloves by the way aren't quite right and I'm going to go back to the shop and see if I can change them to the next size up (from 'M' to 'L'). They fit okay, but when I clench my hand, as I would to grip the club, they feel a bit too tight. I want to see if the next size up feel any better (and hope they won't have a problem with me exchanging them as I only bought them a few days ago.

An inconvenience rather than a problem but for some reason we couldn't get any channels working on our tv this morning. Despite having two recorders each capable of recording two programmes, there are occasions when we want to watch/listen to a different channel directly on the tv (which gets its tv signal via the two recorders). I eventually sussed out the red light on the recorder that passes signals to the tv wasn't because it was recording something - but because the recorder had some sort of problem. I rebooted the recorder (a BT Youview box) by switching it off and on and all is okay again now. And Margaret praised me for my calm approach - rather then getting agitated with 'bloody technology!' :)
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    RM, well done indeed! Your legs must be like two sticks of rhubarb after that. What next though? (You clearly respond to a challenge and I think you'll be looking for another one very soon.)

Mel, pretty much agree with everything you say on SPOTY. As for technology, it's the one thing designed to get my blood pressure to boiling point. Usually because of my incompetence, I hasten to add. Your running pace does seem to have slipped a bit - but hope it will recover soon. Perhaps you need one of those cub handicap events to give you the edge?

HS, that event was astonishing. Someone told me that a 15 min 5K wouldn't get you into the top 20! (And it was a grim day on a twisting course.) Good luck for tomorrow's race. You might be lucky and just avoid the storm?

I set out to run 6K in 30 minutes today, and missed it by 3 seconds. This was because there was a brute of a westerly wind on the return leg and because I managed to run slightly more of the distance into the wind rather than with the wind.

I'm back to running kms now rather than miles. This was solely because I was too dim to be able to go back to kms on my Garmin so I had to find someone to do it for me (please see comments above regarding competence and the lack of it!).

Someone overtook me today pushing a buggy (child, not golf!). This always annoys me though for no good reason. I busted a gut to close the gap and then he just stopped anyway.

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Redmist: Congratulations! What an achievement, you must feel very proud of yourself. Time for a rest now perhaps?

HS: Good news that your car passed it’s MOT. I’m looking forward to your race report of today’s virtual Salisbury 10 mile. I hope you found navigating with your Garmin helpful.  

WtnMel: We usually look forward to SPOTY, but we gave up after a few minutes this time. It felt so contrived, with Clare Balding trying to whip up some excitement about what was basically a non-event. It probably didn’t help that I had no interest in any of the nominees this year. Well done for getting out for a run on Saturday, it’s not surprising that your pace was off a bit considering that you haven’t been running much lately. At least your knee seems ok. I hope you continue with your touch typing lessons. It does get easier, and you’ll be glad you persevered. I taught myself about 20 years ago and I’m anything but coordinated, so if I can do it you certainly can.

JB: When you say someone with a buggy overtook you while you were on your run I presume they were running too? ;) Bit worrying if they were only walking. Actually when I was pushing my children in the pram (many years ago) I used to find that the pram tended to make me walk faster, and more easily too. It was almost as if I was being pulled along by it. Perhaps running buggies are much the same? The person pushing it is probably getting a bit of a tow as momentum builds up. I remember a parkrun some years ago where a woman was running so fast with her buggy that she lost control of it and ended up crashing into a wall (no casualties fortunately). It was as if it had run away with her. Perhaps you need to invest in one? Or maybe a dog - I’m convinced the majority of people running with a dog have an unfair advantage as the dogs usually seem to be the ones doing the work and pulling their owners behind them. 

We’ve had some good news, for a change. Firstly Steve got the all clear from the hospital, so that was a relief. Then we heard from the LR dealership. They advised that they are contacting LandRover with a request that all repair costs are waived due to it being a safety issue.  We should hear later today whether LR will agree to this, but the dealer seems fairly certain they will. Finally our granddaughter was told a couple of days ago that she may have to go back into self isolation as a couple of her classmates were being tested for Covid, but luckily both tests were negative. 
    We haven’t run for over a week now, but will probably get out tomorrow. At least Steve might, unless my cold is any better I’ll give it a miss as my chest feels rather raw still. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - I guess having worked in IT for years, I'm used to the idea swearing at technology won't help and you just have to logically work out the problem (or read the manual in extreme cases). Yes, I hope the pace will return to normal once I'm training regularly again. I shan't be bothering with the club handicap race if they re-do it .. not after the winner made a ridiculous 30% improvement on her previous 'best' time and no-one questioned the fairness of that. I can see you'd get frustrated at someone pushing a buggy as well as running, getting ahead of you.

Aquarius - I think that was my main issue with SPOTY. Limiting it to 6 nominees, none of whom I was remotely interested in, meant it wasn't the 'must see' it has been in the past (though I do record it so I can fast-forward past all the (in my opinion) 'boring' bits). I shall carry on with the touch-typing but now they've also introduced Q and P, I'm currently even more confused about which finger should be doing what and where it should be moving to! I originally mis-typed that as 'tough-typing' - which is probably more accurate right now. Your comment re JB being overtaken by the buggy made me remember wondering why Alan always seemed to be able to walk faster than me on the golf course until I realised he was being towed along by his golf buggy. And I know from Thu runs with the club, what an advantage it is to have a dog pulling you along having seen one lady seemingly out of control and being hauled along by Bradley (Waggins). Great news that Steve has been given the all-clear by the hospital. And also that Land Rover will probably be fixing that known fault cost-free as it's a safety issue. Hope your cold lurgy goes away soon so you can get back out running.

Finished a u3a 'coffee & chat' zoom call a short while ago. Except, as it was the last before xmas, it was alcoholic drinks rather than coffee - and festive wear was requested. I don't have any festive jumpers or even a hat handy. But I discovered zoom has lots of filters you can apply to your video image. So I was able to turn up wearing a 'virtual' party hat. And I suppose drinking Baileys at 11am was good practise for xmas day ;)

Planning to head off to American Golf after lunch to see about changing the golf gloves I mentioned.

And planning to run in the morning ..

• Options
    Evening all,

Just popped in to say the virtual Salisbury 10 mile which we ran on the Oakhaven off road10 mile course was actually 11.6 miles in brutal conditions. Lots of wading through mid calf deep water, clinging mud, battling icy winds and intermittent heavy rain. We enjoyed it though, and as it was Jane's birthday, we had Prosecco, mince pies and Sarah's home made cheese straws when we got back to the car park. It wasn't much of a car park, being off road and with lots of deep pot holes full of water, making the cars rock crazily from side to side.

I'll reply to your posts tomorrow, which is a rest day from running.
  • Options
    HS - wow, that sounds like one heck of a tough run. Well done for surviving it. Never was a mince more deserved!

Aquarius - I swerved SPOTY after 10 seconds! Great that you've had those helpings of good news. Long may this continue. And yes the guy pushing the buggy was running - pretty fast with (of course) the wind behind him. Indeed I think the buggy had a sail attached!

Mel, love the hat!

Mrs JB won a bottle of Prosecco today (raffle). She's also taken possession of her new BLUE passport. Suddenly Brexit seems worthwhile...........!!
  • Options
    WtnMel, hope this is useful 

• Options
    WtnMel, hope that keyboard picture helps you to know what finger to use for each key. Sorry it's on its side, but better than nothing. It is, of course, a typewriter keyboard, but the letters and numbers are in the same place.
    There were usually several runners with buggies at the Brockenhurst parkrun, and they were speedy. One of our lady club runners often runs with her dog, and many months ago, before parkruns were cancelled, she appeared in the parkrun list of fastest men and women's time as top woman. I think her time was 15.30.
    I like the virtual hat🤣

JB, I've set my Garmin to register runs in km's but Garmin Connect, Strava and fetcheveryone convert them to minute miling. Yesterdays run was 19km.
    I didn't watch SPOTY, except for when I tuned into it for a few seconds to see what it was like, and I wasn't impressed. Once upon a time I used to look forward to it, and even phoned in my votes. The ones I voted for seldom appeared in the top three.
    Thanks the run was tough, but we enjoyed it, and it was a good way to celebrate Janes birthday.

Aquarius, thanks, I thought the car would pass its MoT as it had done less that 1000 miles. I sometimes wonder now whether I really need a car, but I don't want to use public transport because of the risks.
    A report of our run is several posts before this one, but describing it as brutal is no exaggeration. The navigation on the Garmin was invaluable. Jane and I had different screens open, and on one occasion they showed different directions. We decided to trust mine and it was correct. The screens do indicate when off course, and the arrows point in the correct direction.
    I had no interest in the SPOTY candidates either, and wonder whether motor racing is really a sport.
    Alice runs with Rosie in her buggy, which she says is making her stronger. She proved that a few weeks ago when we ran together (without the buggy) She also ran with us on my birthday, again without the buggy, and didn't seem to have lost any of her speed since having Rosie.
    Glad to hear that Steve has got the all clear, and hope that Land Rover agree to refund repair costs etc.
    Good that your Grand daughters tests were negative. Hope your cold soon clears up, as it seems to be hanging on a bit. 

I've a bit of a niggle in my right knee today, so will reluctantly take a couple of rest days to be on the safe side. Its probably the after effects of yesterdays run. 
    I actually drove to the supermarket this morning, as I wanted to get all my shopping today, so that I wouldn't have to go again until after Christmas. I don't think that I could have walked with 5 bags. I arrived just before 8am and there was no queue, and the shelves were still well stocked. I'm afraid people will be panic buying now, especially with the problems of supply with the border dispute. They are open on Boxing day, as usual. The supermarkets will be busier than ever this year, as so many people will now be spending Christmas at home, instead of going away to stay with relatives and friends.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - well done for battling the elements with your virtual Salisbury 10ml race. All that icy cold water and mud really doesn't sound very pleasant - however, the prosecco, cheese straws and mince pies sound like they made up for the conditions. That car park you mentioned sounds like the public one on Cleeve Hill where you sometimes wonder if the car is going to 'bottom out' in some parts. Thanks for the keyboard photo which I have saved a copy of. The website I use does have a keyboard/hands image that mimics what you should be doing, but I've not come across any diagrams yet you can print out. Maybe that parkrun place should go to the 'top dog' rather than the fastest lady. I think even you might struggle with 5 bags of shopping so don't blame you for using the car for a change.

JB - having the virtual hat was fun and there are loads of other filters you can apply. Well done to Mrs JB winning the prosecco. No comment re the benefits of a blue passport ;)

I ran 4.6mls at 10:53mm pace this morning so I seem to slowly be getting back to where I was last month. My legs are usually a bit tired after a run but as the day has gone on, I've realised the right knee has a bit of a niggle again. I'm beginning to wonder if it's down to me not doing any strengthening exercises on my knees, like perhaps squats or lunges. Thoughts anyone?

I was able to change my new golf gloves yesterday without any problem .. the new ones should be fine.

Rather a good result for me after phoning to complain about something. We have Radio Times delivered and it's been £72.80 per 6 months (sounds a lot but is less than the cover price per issue). They wrote to say the cost would be going up to £91 (25% increase). I phoned to complain and had seen I could get it cheaper elsewhere. After mentioning this to the customer services lady I spoke to, she said she'd speak to her manager and then came back with an offer of £44.99 per 6 months!

Margaret went shopping yesterday and came back with a turkey crown and a salmon en croute. But as it's going to be a nice day on xmas day, we've decided we'll go for a walk and have the salmon later on - then I'll cook the turkey on Boxing Day. 

• Options
    Many thanks to all for your comments re my 100k challenge. Had a couple of days rest but now itching to get the running shoes on again and try some (relative) speedwork.

hillstrider: 22:08 for 5k at 65yo. Sounds like you and JB could have had some good races. Just out of interest, what's your best now at that distance. 
    'Lots of wading through mid calf deep water, clinging mud, battling icy winds and intermittent heavy rain. We enjoyed it though.' 😂 I think it's called masochism.

WtnMel: I ditched the golf glove a few years ago. I found myself either forgetting to put it on or take it off or leaving it at home. Also went through two or three when it rained. Now play much better without a glove and it's one less thing to think about.
    Re the typing skills; when I worked I did many reports and papers over the years and, by the end, I rarely needed to look at the keyboard. What I'm saying is that, like many skills, practise is the key. Not convinced with the virtual hat. I must remember never to drink Baileys before noon 😊

JB: You're beginning to read my mind. Like you, I do like a challenge, but I may not opt for a running challenge next time, unless it's a one day challenge. I have a theory about running whilst pushing a buggy or similar. It allows you to lean forward and, as a result, all of your energy from the push off propels your body forward rather than up and forward. It also acts as a rest, taking some upper body weight away. I've proved this on the TM  as, if I hold the handles in front of me I can run much faster for longer.
    Like the idea of a 'blue' passport, although I'm not sure it would help get the queues down at passport control.

Aquarius: They say that good news, like bad, comes in threes. Great to read that Steve has been given the all clear, plus the LR progress and your granddaughter. Hope the cold clears soon and certainly before Christmas.
  • Options
    Here's one of the photos of our virtual race on Monday 

• Options
    RM, interesting analysis of buggy dynamics. I guess that if you push one into a wind there's a significant wind resistance issue? But my days of buggy pushing are long gone!

So today I set myself a challenge. Not quite as gruesome as RM's and not quite so uncomfortable as HS's (nice photo BTW).

As it's my birthday on the 27th I thought I'd have one last crack (before hitting 66) at a 10K and set myself the target of 50 minutes. This was realistic but on the basis of my current training a bit touch and go. Managed 49.58 and just about emptied the tank. Not a very fast time but technically a well-judged run with the (inevitable) windy conditions. So am feeling a bit smug.
  • Options
    JB: What a surprise.....we're both Capricorns. Sub 50 minutes for 10k is mighty fine in my book and a long term target of mine. That said, if I don't achieve it next year I probably never will. Hope you have a cracking birthday.
    hillstrider: Great photo. Going off your description, that looks like one of the nicer areas of your route. I expect that your shoes are now fully stuffed with newspaper. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel, thanks, yes it was nice to relax for a while after the run. Just seen on BBC1 that the New Forest will be moving from tier 2 to tier 3. Not sure how that will effect our running, whether we will have to run solo again. I'll have to continue on here later, as our clubs Facebook page is "going crazy."
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

HS: What a tough race that must have been. The elements threw everything they could at you, but the inclement conditions obviously didn’t spoil your enjoyment of the run, and you even had time to pose for a photo!  I wonder why your Garmin gave you different directions to Jane’s Garmin, I thought you had the same model? Good job you picked the right one to follow. How nice to finish the race with a birthday celebration, your fellow runners sound such a nice supportive bunch of people. You are very lucky to have friends like that. I hope your knee niggle doesn’t last long. 
    Good idea to get your shopping in early, as usual people will be panic buying at the last minute, not helped as you say by the situation at Dover and the expected lockdown after Christmas. We normally get our Sainsbury’s delivery on a Monday, but there were no slots available at all this week, however we managed to get one on last Saturday but the next one isn’t until Monday 28th, so just hoping the fresh produce will last that long. Our son called at the supermarket last night for a few items (mainly fruit and veg) but supplies were running short and he could only get half of what he went for. 
    Just seen your latest post, sorry to hear you are going into Tier 3. I've tried to copy the latest guidance from England Athletics for you, but can't post it. I'll try to do it in a separate post.

Redmist: I think your theory about running with a buggy makes sense, at least if you are on the flat, but if you were pushing it up a hill wouldn’t that actually require more energy? 
    Not sure if I have missed this, so apologies if you have already announced it, but have you decided on your next challenge yet?

WtnMel: thanks for the warning about the RT price increase, I wasn’t aware of that. Looks like I’ll have to try ringing them and see if we can get a discount too. I often think about cancelling it as we’re really only interested in the actual listings, not all the articles and other bumf. It’s hardly worth the current price, never mind an increase. 
    Good to see you are getting your pace back, but a bit worrying that the knee niggle is back. I think that before undertaking any programme of squats and/or lunges it would be worthwhile to get a professional assessment of the problem. It may be due to a number of causes, perhaps a bit of arthritis, or weak ligaments, it could even be a weakness in a different part of your body, such as glutes or quads causing the knees to compensate for this. It might even be a postural problem, remember all the body weight goes through the knees and any misalignment could, over time, cause problems. Squats and lunges, if inappropriate, could make the problem worse.

JB - well done on going sub 50 for 10k today, and happy birthday for Sunday

Although Steve got out for a run yesterday I contented myself with a walk as I was still coughing a bit and it was very cold and frosty. I timed my walk to finish at the same time Steve’s run, and was absolutely frozen and glad to get back to the car. I’m hoping for better weather tomorrow, then hopefully I’ll get a run in then. The weather here has been horrible the last couple of weeks, a lot of mist and frost, also lots of rain. Oh no, I've just checked the forecast - snow tomorrow! :(

• Options
    HS: sorry, it's going to need someone with more IT savvy than me to post that information. It's beaten me.
    From what I can gather I think as long as you follow the rule of six, and don't socialise either before or after your activity, you will be ok to continue running with your friends.

This is the best I can manage - do you have good eyesight :D ?
  • Options
    Thanks Aquarius, I can't read it, but I can confirm that tier 3 does allow a bubble of 6 still. Southampton and Portsmouth will be in tier 4, so we won't be able to go there. I've got a niece living in Southampton so my sister won't be able to visit her. I'm presuming that she won't be able to visit her mum either, as that would mean travelling from tier 4 to tier 3. There's another strain of the virus come over from S Africa, even more infectious than the first variation. ☹☹
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Redmist - I mostly wear a glove as it helps me grip the club better. But obviously this time of year, it's nice to keep my hand warm as well. I'm hoping I'll eventually get to the stage of not needing to look at the keyboard when typing - but as it's early days, the main problem right now is the pause while I struggle to remember where the letter is I want to type and which finger to use! :) 

HS - re the photo, at least your shoes should have been nice and clean by the time you finished (assuming you didn't go through more mud afterwards). I see that like you in the New Forest, we here in Gloucestershire are moving from tier 2 to tier 3 on Saturday - I believe you'll still be able to run with clubmates (max. of 6 of you).

Aquarius - Margaret went to the grocer's this morning and returned saying it was a bit of a scrum. As our Tesco is open around the clock at the moment, she said she'll go and do the shopping before dawn tomorrow (probably about 5am knowing her). I skim through the rest of the bumf in RT but having tried to use the digital edition, it wasn't as easy as having it in your hands. Anyway, definitely worth phoning them about getting a discount. From my look online, W H Smith seem to be the cheapest other supplier. I would have been to see my physio about my knee if it hadn't been for covid and with xmas now upon us, it will have to wait until the new year. I think you may well be right about the knee problems due to weakness somewhere else as let's face it, despite my best intentions, I don't stretch or exercise regularly. Sounds like a new year's resolution in the making doesn't it! Don't blame you for walking rather than running since you're still getting over a cold. Fingers crossed if you do have snow, you don't get too much of it.

JB - well done for accomplishing your sub-50 10K with a couple of seconds to spare. As Kryten would say .. "Ahhhh - smug mode".

I have a new (voluntary) job as the 'techy' for the Arts Together charity that Margaret does fund-raising for. One of the artists who works with the charity is leaving and currently does the tech support. They needed someone who was able to take over and I suggested myself via Margaret. They use Office 365 (cloud-based computing) so I don't envisage it being too technical as that' what we use at home. It will just take me a little while to get up to speed on the administration tasks and more importantly, get a 'feel' for how they have their system set up at present.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Woke up this morning to a thick coating of frost, closely followed by snow, so no running today.

Best wishes to you all for a wonderful Christmas 🙂
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - sunny here after yesterday's washout and I saw Bishops Cleeve mentioned on the local BBC traffic news as the main road into Cheltenham was closed due to flooding - but no frost or snow for us. In frosty or snowy conditions I would normally use my treadmill - just a shame I've not yet got round to having it fixed. And as its currently un-useable, its covered in golf equipment and a pile of 'come in handy' strong cardboard boxes from recent deliveries. Fixing the treadmill ought to be top of my 2021 to-do list ;)

HS - I think you're right about the family travel plans being disrupted as that would break the guidelines re moving tiers.

Best wishes to all you 'mature runners' and hope you can make the best of xmas. See you on the other side ..
  • Options
    Morning all,

Redmist, John and I did race each other once, although we didn't know each other. It was the Gosport 10 mile, I think, and I overtook him near the finish, but he put in a last minute sprint and finished ahead of me. My best 5k this year is 26.06, but Sarah's garmin registered 25.58 and I finished ahead of her, so I'll take sub 26!
    Glad you liked the photo. There were several more, but I didn't want to clog up this thread🤣 That was definitely one of the better parts of the run, as there was concrete under the water. That was the remnants of the old Brockenhurst aerodrome. It was still a bit dicey though, as the concrete was cracked and potholed.  The worse parts were where the deep water was over mud and grass. We definitely walked through these dodgy areas. The trainers were stuffed with newspaper soon after I got home.

JB, best wishes for your birthday on the 27th🎉🍻🍰
    Well done for your sub 50 minute 10k. I'll have to look up my records to see when I last achieved that.

Aquarius, yes it certainly was a tough run, but we definitely enjoyed ourselves, and agreed that we could never have achieved it alone. Jane and I do have the same Garmin watch, but there are a number of different navigation screens for the courses. We selected different screens which was just as well, in the circumstances. It was in the region of where that photo was taken that the directions differed. Possibly due to a momentary loss of signal, or something like that. No problems after that. Yes, I'm very lucky to have such good friends, and we all get on so well together, and are very supportive of each other.
    I haven't run since Monday, but I have been going for brisk walks as a precaution. I think the knee is ok, but better safe than sorry. I've been walking past the supermarket each day, and there haven't been any queues outside, like in the original lockdown.
    Sorry to hear that you you are still coughing and hope that it soon clears up!
    Thanks for posting the guide on outdoor running, it was blurred on my phone, but readable on here. Tier 3 definitely allows a bubble of a maximum of 6, which is good.
    I've just seen that you awoke to a coating of frost🥶 followed by snow. It was very cold for my morning walk, but no frost. It's forecast minus 3 here tomorrow morning, so should be very frosty. Best wishes to you and Steve for a merry Christmas and hopefully a better 2021.🎄🎅

WtnMel, good luck with the typing, it will get easier. I find that the quicker I type, the fewer mistakes I make. The only problem  is that sometimes I don't press the face bar properly and get words joined together. 
    We did go through more mud later, but then more water, so the shoes were clean by the finish.
    I've been religiously doing a range of stretches etc since Monday, to ensure that my knee will be ok to run on again. Its been ok for my morning walks, but I've been cautious about running too soon. Hope to run on Boxing Day.
    The new typing skills will come in handy for your new "techy" duties.

A very happy Christmas and a better 2021 to you all. 🎄🎅☃
  • Options
    HS, yes we did race, but it was the 'Hayling 10'. A rather nice event which, of course, hasn't been run this year. In terms of the weather, yes, it's cold here too (bitter wind) - and on Boxing Day I fear we are going to get a right old battering. Hope the knee is OK. I've had a new twinge with mine. I have been using one of those wobble boards to give me a bit more balance, but have been overdoing it. No big deal, and I'm hoping it won't stop me from getting out for a 5K tomorrow.

Mel, your skills are clearly still current and sought-after! I sometimes feel like a bit of a dinosaur, but you are clearly not. Respect is due.

Aquarius, do look after that cough! In the current circumstances, ultra-caution is probably sensible. And if it's cold down here than goodness knows what it's like where you are. (Dare I suggest a hot toddy?)

RM, I'm not usually one for star-signs, but as Capricorns we do seem to have some personality traits in common!

Well, two big non-running events have happened. Re Covid things have taken a turn for the worse and we (Sussex) are now in tier 4. This makes it a bit (more) difficult seeing the family but at least on Xmas Day we'll have one of our grandchildren with us, which is a lot better than many. (I mean 'many people' not 'many grandchildren'!)

Also, the Brexit deal has just been announced. Even as an arch-Remainer, I'm kind of relieved. We can move on now, although I'm not entirely sure what we are moving towards.

However, it is good that this issue (deal/no deal) isn't going to hang over us on Xmas Day. And on that (relatively!) positive note, may I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas indeed! I've enjoyed your company very much over the last few months.

• Options
    JB - a hot toddy? Oh go on then, if I must 😉 cheers everyone 🥃
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, hope you are having a nice Christmas!

JB, oh yes, it was the Hayling 10. Hope your knee was ok to run the 5k today?
    Bad news that you will now be in tier 4 tomorrow, but  good that you will be able to have one grandchild with you today.
    A bad deal is better than no deal, so Labour will vote it through. Sir Keir will definitely "pull it to bits" though, once it has been approved.

Aquarius, cheers🥃

Very cold this morning and  actually wore tracksters to protect my knee. I ran 3.4 miles on roads very cautiously, and the knee was ok.