New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Hi all,

Visitors have just left and Mrs JB has concluded her Zoom session with her siblings. I'm on tidying up duties........

My knee behaved itself and played its part in delivering a 22.48 5k today: AG73.57%.  My best for 3 months. 

I can do no better than to quote Aquarius: cheers everyone!
  • Good afternoon everyone, hope you all had a lovely Christmas Day!

It wasn't quite so cold this morning and I had a lovely forest 5k run with my niece Natasha, and Karen and Mike. 
    Sarah ran a festive 12k with some of the other ladies wearing festive outfits. 
  • Good morning everyone,

Gale force winds and heavy rain throughout the night. Just as well I had decided to have a rest day. 
    Will be walking to the supermarket later to top up the essentials. They don't open until 10am. Apparently it wasn't very busy on Boxing Day. 
  • HS, yes that was a heck of a battering - trees uprooted and some fences down, but not ours. However, the sun came out mid-morning and I celebrated my birthday with a slow 11k run. Now, will Brighton and Hove Albion FC give me some goals to enjoy (preferably at the right end of the pitch),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

All things considered a very decent Christmas for me - and I hope for everyone else too.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - the typing seems to be getting slightly easier slowly but surely. On one of the review exercises I felt I was being quicker at working out what finger to use .. still plenty of lessons left though (going to try a couple more today once I've finished on here). I see you wore tracksters for the first time .. (whispers .. I've been wearing mine for a couple of weeks now).

JB - I'm hoping this new techie job isn't beyond my capabilities. It shouldn't be, as I already use all the Office 365 software apart from Teams - this job just adds a layer of administration on top so it shouldn't be too taxing. I agree re the Brexit 'deal' - without knowing too much of the details, yet I imagine it's very 'thin' and probably full of 'small print' that mean it's nothing like the glorious deal our dear leader would have us believe. I liked Kier Starmer's comment - "We'll vote for your deal - but only because a no deal would be far worse. And be in no doubt, any consequences of the deal are on you, the Tory party". Sorry to hear you are in tier 4 now (as are my family who are based in Herts/Oxon). Well done re that 22.48 5K you managed to run.

Aquarius - hope you enjoyed that hot toddy. I saw on Strava you'd run at the reservoir .. hope you managed to thaw out afterwards.

Only one casualty of last night's storm that I noticed in the garden - the new bird feeder tray with a domed cover blew off and smashed on the patio. We'll have to buy a new one as it isn't repairable .. meanwhile, two pigeons were busy this morning hoovering up the spilt seed.

You might remember Margaret was interested in a re-chargeable device to use when out walking which needed to have a 'back to start' function. I'd suggested a Garmin Vivoactive 3 as it's one of the few Garmins that does that. But the vivoactive has loads of other functions Margaret has no interest in (neither would I for that matter). Over xmas, Margaret admitted she really doesn't want the Garmin - far too much money for what she would use it for. I did some research and found an app called ViewRanger which uses the gps on your phone to track your mileage and route and calculates speed, pace etc. You can also, if you want to do more with it, create a route online and navigate that. And for £25 per year, you can also sign up to download OS maps for when you're walking off-road. I think it's definitely the way to go for Margaret - I've installed it on her phone and just need to show her how to start recording your walk. I've already stored a POI (point of interest) of our house and you can easily do the same when starting any other walk so I think once she's over the initial learning curve, she'll be fine with it.

We've been out walking in the village for the last three days and I used ViewRanger myself to get to grips with how to use it. We've investigated some of the less well-known footpaths we've never ventured down so I now have a few new footpaths/cut-throughs I can use in future when out running. Margaret told me last night she's really enjoyed this xmas - no doubt because with just us two of us, it was stress-free with no visitors to entertain and we were able to do what we wanted, when we wanted to and have meals when we felt like it. In fact, because we went for a walk on xmas day after we'd had a zoom session with her eldest son and it was getting a bit late, I cooked our xmas turkey yesterday instead.

Some walking as I mentioned above but no running - my knee is still a bit niggly and I even noticed it on our walks. So I'll lay off any running this coming week and if it's still not right, see if I can book an appointment at the physio's to see if they can work out what's going on with my knee. One noticeable downside of no running and some extra xmas food - I appear to have put on several pounds since last week and have ended the year heavier than when I started. Boo!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popped back but no other posts to see ..

I checked and my local physio clinic is closed until Sat so I've emailed them asking for an appointment and describing the knee problem as best I can.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

JB, a good way to celebrate your birthday with an 11k run. Your WAVA will now be higher, but probably less that 1%.

WtnMel, well done for persevering with your typing exercises. It was probably easier for me, as I was a teenager, and was able to learn much quicker than I can now. Also, having a teacher, rather than following instructions on a screen, was probably beneficial. I don't suppose you have had any exercises, where you have to type up handwriting. That is difficult, because it is often hard  to decipher, and consequently makes typing slower.  
    That's interesting that you originally suggested that Margaret get a VivoActive 3 watch, because I think that is the model that Karen recently got for her birthday. I'll ask her to confirm. I know that she is very pleased with it, as she can also use it in the gym for various activities to measure her heart rate, calories burned etc. It's a VivoActive4s, a later model. I hope Margaret is happy with the View Ranger, it sounds "just the job."
    I think a lot of people were quite happy to have a quiet Christmas, as it reduced all the hassle of planning for guests, entertaining etc.
    I hope that you will be able to get an appointment with a physio as soon as possible. In the meantime, you are wise to rest from running for a few days.

The weather yesterday was really foul, and consequently we abandoned our planned forest run, and ran on the roads instead. The weather was a mixture of bitingly cold winds, rain, sleet and finally snow. We ran 7 miles and were all soaked to the skin, despite so called waterproof tops. I stuffed my trainers with newspaper when I got home, to help them to dry out.

No running today, but I got caught in quite heavy snow walking to and from the supermarket.

• Afternoon all,

I hope everyone has had a very enjoyable Christmas (or as enjoyable as possible under the circumstances). We had a nice quiet stress-free day, as for the first time in years we just had ourselves to cook for. 

WtnMel: Glad to hear you are arranging a physio appointment, I hope they can fit you in quickly and get that knee sorted out. I like the sound of that ViewRanger app, I think I’ll mention it to Steve and think about downloading it ourselves. A useful thing to have for those times you forget to wear your Garmin when out for a walk (which is most of the time for us). What a shame about your new bird feeder tray getting destroyed in the storm, pity it’s not able to be repaired. I remember lying in bed, unable to sleep due to the noise of the wind, and dreading getting up in the morning to inspect the damage. Somehow we got away unscathed this time, despite the scary howling and banging. Even the bins behaved themselves.

HS: Hope your supermarket trip on Sunday was successful and not too busy. Another strength building session with the shopping bags on the way home? It must be getting cold in your part of the country if you have given in to tracksters, glad to hear your knee seems ok now. Is your niece Natasha a member of your club?

JB: Most people celebrate their birthdays with a cake, or a glass of something bubbly, but you go for a run. :)  I hope you found time for the cake and bubbly too. Well done for that speedy 5k on Christmas Day, there’s no stopping you at the moment.

Running Fox: I hope you managed to see your partner over Christmas, and you are both keeping well.

As WtnMel noticed we did eventually get to the reservoir for a run on Boxing Day, but it was very windy and dreadfully cold. Not having run for over a fortnight I found it hard going but I’m glad we made the effort. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to get another run in since then as it was frosty yesterday, then iced up overnight. This morning we woke to snow, which has melted a bit this afternoon but is due to freeze again tonight. I don’t mind fresh snow, but I’m not keen on running when it’s icy. 

We found our why our bargain Christmas tree was only £19.  A couple of days before Christmas we noticed one or two dead beetles lying under it, then a couple more the next day, then some sort of a flying insect (hornet?) must have woken up with the heat in the room and buzzed around us. So on Christmas Eve Steve sprayed the tree. I don’t know what he used, whatever it was it would probably be fine to use outdoors, but the smell indoors was overpowering. We had to open the windows wide for a few hours and couldn’t use the room for most of the day. Fortunately by the evening we were able to return, although to a rather chilly room. There's been no further sightings of beetles, or any other creatures, since then but the tree’s not looking too clever. It’s branches are drooping and the needles are falling in droves. As long as it lasts a few more days I’ll be happy.

On Boxing Day we made our special Sweet and Sour Pork for the evening meal. We make it all from scratch, and although this makes it quite time consuming we think the end result is worth it. We timed it to be ready for our son getting in from work, then we all sat down to enjoy the meal. On his first mouthful our son found something gritty in his mouth, which on inspection turned out to be glass, so the whole meal went in the bin. We had no idea where the glass came from, it was granular rather than shards, but we checked the various ingredients and utensils we had used to see if there were any clues there, but found nothing. In the end we decided the glass must have come out of the 2kg bag of rice we’d just opened, so that went in the bin too. Turkey and chips for tea.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - Margaret has mentioned how much easier it seemed to be to pick up touch-typing when she was younger. There haven't been any exercises where you copy handwriting as yet - there is a game where you have  to type the letters on balloons that are falling to the ground but I've not been quick enough yet to win! I think because Margaret has no need of anything as sophisticated as a Vivoactive with it's many functions she won't use, she thinks its an expensive 'sledgehammer to crack a nut'. I'm sure the ViewRanger app will be perfectly adequate once she's got used to how it functions. Don't blame you for abandoning your planned forest run in that nasty weather. I think my 'waterproof' running jacket is probably better described as 'showerproof' too!

Aquarius - if Margaret gets used to using the ViewRanger app, I can see it might be worth upgrading to the 'pro' version so we can download some OS maps for holidays - always assuming we'll be able to travel and go places again. Well done again for managing the reservoir run in the nasty weather. 'Oh dear' re the bargain xmas tree and the beetles/hornet appearing. But a big 'Oh no!' to glass finding it's way into your meal!! :(

The physio clinic is 'officially' closed but the boss is WFH, picking up phone messages and emails. She called me and left a message and said she'll try again tomorrow. Unfortunately, we'll probably be out tomorrow as well but I'm sure we'll eventually catch up with each other! It sounded like they may be able to fit me in with an appointment on Mon.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Mel, I hope you get your physio appointment ASAP; you'll be losing fitness soon as (I think) they say this tends to happen after a couple of week's inactivity. I actually think it's less that that as you get older, I'm sad to say.   

Aquarius, that uninvited creature sounds a bit sinister. There are some new, invasive and nasty species around (no Boris Johnson jokes, please). 

HS, I thought you were going to say that the foul weather meant you cancelled your run - but of course I know you are very old school (in a good way) and thus you just switched to roads! Funnily enough and talking of old school runners there was a big feature on the great Ron Hill in my latest Runners World. What an athlete he was - and did that 52 year (give or take) running streak! Incredible.

Did anyone get any running related kit over Xmas. I got socks, hat and gloves - all low-tech and (thus?) reliable.

Just back from my last 10K of 2021. Pleased to report I finished with my best time of the year: 48:33. In what has been a bad week for weather I was very lucky: a windless day on a sunny, if therefore, packed prom.

PS on the Xmas tree issue, last year we put ours in a pot in the garden (needless to say it was quite small and not a gift from the People of Norway) and brought it back in this year in much the same condition as it was when we put it out. It shed not one needle and we've booked it again for 2021!

Aquarius, our posts crossed! Sunday's shopping was uneventful and the store was very quiet, just as I like it. The shopping doesn't get any lighter, but I can walk back without stopping. Natasha is not a club member, but runs regularly, and also uses a spin bike.
    Unfortunate that your bargain xmas tree harboured some unwelcome guests.
    What a shame that your Boxing Day meal ended up in the bin. Strange how glass managed to intrude. Turkey and chips was better than a Chinese takeaway, which a lot of people ordered apparently.

WtnMel, presumably the ViewRanger app means running holding the phone? When my niece ran with us on Saturday, she carried her phone, which also "spoke" distance, pace etc and made a course similar to strava. I can't remember what app she used.
    I presume Physios aren't affected by the Covid regulations?

JB, yes I'd heard about the article in RW mag. I believe he is suffering with advanced Alzheimer's and is now 82.
    No, nothing running related I'm afraid.
    Well done for your fastest 10 k of the year. That must be a 70+ WAVA, especially as you have recently had a birthday.
    That was good that you resurrected last years Xmas tree, which hasn't shed a single needle.

Now for the bad news, the New Forest is now in Tier 4, so we will only be allowed to run with one other person outdoors.
    It was probably the coldest day of the year this morning, and the roads and pavements were icy. I ran with Sarah F and Mike and we had planned a road hill rep session. We did a recce and the hill was frost/ice free, so we did the planned 6 hill reps with jog down recoveries. Instead of timing the efforts, we set our Garmins to the heart rate screens with the aim of increasing our max HR's at the top of each successive rep.
  • Good afternoon everybody and wishing you all a very happy new year, which I hope will eventually see life returning to some sort of normality.
    Very icy on the ground this morning, and I decided not to run. I'm running with Helen tomorrow, and as I don't normally run on a Friday, am using this as an excuse for not running today.

I'm looking forward to watching Dr. Who tomorrow. "Exterminate the Covid 19," "We obey!"
  • Hello all; hope everyone had a good Christmas (though I take note of Aquarius's infested tree, and lovely meal which had to be thrown away), and will have a good New Year.
    HS, for a long time I've been using an app called Endomondo to record time and distance of runs, and although you need to carry your phone it's not too inconvenient; I've had mine in an armband thing. I chose Endomondo originally because you can use it to track other people, and Elder Daughter was doing Race to the Stones and I wanted to track her. Endomondo is due to "die" tonight, and I was intending to substitute Strava, which apparently all my children use so I could track them all if I wanted to, and they could track me if they could be bothered. But it turns out my current phone won't accommodate it. Phone is on Elder Daughter's account, and she says she'll get me an upgraded model, so I wait in hopes. Failing that I'll investigate View Ranger.
    It was a funny old Christmas; the first Christmas in 76 years that I've spent alone. That doesn't make it the worst Christmas, though; I have memories of two truly grim Christmases, though not solitary ones. There are worse things than being alone. And of course we now have Zoom; a big Zoom meeting on Christmas afternoon with all the children, and their Other Halves, and all (3) grandchildren. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

JB - as you'll see below, I've got an appointment with the physio next week (the same one I saw in Jan 2020 for a shoulder problem). Re losing fitness, I'm resigned to that happening. But after a few issues with ankle problems in the past and an enforced layoff, nothing new about having to start again. No running-related kit for me - just as well as I have plenty already! :) Well done for your 2020 PB for 10K.

HS - sorry if I misled you re ViewRanger. I guess you could use it for running - but it seems to be primarily designed for walking. And that's all Margaret needs it for, to record her walks around town. I saw the New Forest had been put into tier 4 the same as us (Gloucestershire). So you'll now have to choose which clubmate to run with each time. Well done re that hill reps session - and don't blame you not running today with the icy conditions.

Third-time lucky for me re the physio - I was actually near the phone when they called earlier. I've got an initial telephone consultation on Wed morning (info gathering etc.) and an appointment at the clinic on Thu morning.

Happy New Year to you all - I won't be staying up but what's the betting I'll get woken up by fireworks going off? Maybe tonight's the night I should search for my earplugs?

I'll just leave this topical image here - you're welcome ..

• So - the first post for 2021. I feel I should say something inspirational! (But I can't.) 

Mel, like the photo, we had a firework-free NY Eve. I just about managed to stay up until midnight, not so much to welcome the new year, as to wave an unfond farewell to this one. As the song tells us 'things can only get better'.

Columba, good to hear from you. A Christmas spent in isolation doesn't sound much fun but well done for keeping your pecker up. 

HS, I guess there'll have t be a rota in your running group to work out who runs with whom?

First run of 2021 worked well for me. 5K in 22,27 @ 75.41% WAVA. Really pleased with this and almost worth getting my fingers frozen for!

Happy running (and non-running) to all for 2021, 

Columba, good to hear from you again. I think we are all on strava here. My Garmin is 645 music, although I don't bother with the music feature, and my phone is a Galaxy S8. This syncs with my Garmin, strava and fetch.
    That was good that you were able to communicate with members of your family on Zoom. It appears that Skype, which I recently deleted has upped its game, and can now accommodate up to 100 in a session.

WtnMel, I've had a look at the ViewRanger app and see that it is aimed chiefly at walkers. The reviews were mixed, some highly critical, and others giving 5 stars.
    Our Monday club runs will be tricky now that we are in tier 4. We will have to run in pairs, but on different courses. 
    I hope your appointment with the physio on Thursday proves to be productive.
    I didn't stay up last night either, but was woken at midnight by the fireworks. Not so many this time though.
    I see from the news today that many idiots ignored the instructions not to mix in households for the New Year, and the police had to break up numerous parties. No wonder the number of people being infected is rocketing out of control.

JB, yes we will have to decide who is running with who to keep within the guidelines.
    Well done for your first 5k of the year, an excellent time and WAVA.

I ran an easy pace road 10k this morning with Helen. It was below zero, but sunny and frosty underfoot. She has the same model Garmin as me, and showed me after the run, how to find the screen that predicted times for different distances. Well, mine predicted 22.40 for 5k which is ridiculous. We surmised that the calculations were based on Vo2Max. Mine is 47, superior, with the fitness of a 20 year old. Presumably based on todays pace, that is what a 20 year old should run.  That is ridiculous too, which John has proved in his sixties, and I ran 22.08 when I was 65.
  • HS, Nice to kick-off the ew year with a run. That Vo2 max projection doesn't sound very reliable. I double-checked mine yesterday and it's 45. 

Well another 5k for me, partly through Saturday morning habit. Also my running partner has set himself the goal of running a 5k every day in 2021 (I'm not sure why, but it means I'll always have company!). Today he acted as pace marker and took me through in 22.12 with a WAVA of 76.26%. This is a real case of early season form and the temptation is to cash in which might not be entirely sensible............
    Talking of pace-makers, I heard that Joe Wicks took his 5k time down from 21 something to 18 something with the aid of a pace-maker - a bloke called Mo Farah!
    Have ordered a new pair of trainers. I can't remember how long I've had the current pair but far too long by most folks' standards. My new ones are red (the blues had sold out). I'll be rather self-conscious I think! 
  • Happy new year everyone, 

Columba: It’s good to hear from you again. I agree that this has been a very unusual Christmas, and not one I’d like to repeat. I’m pleased that you had the opportunity to catch up with family members via Zoom on Christmas Day, I know it’s not the same as being with them in person but it’s better than nothing. For all I moan about technology I’m grateful for it at times like this. I can’t imagine how much more difficult the lockdowns would have been without access to the internet. At the very least we would have felt quite isolated, and of course without the internet we wouldn’t even have “met” each other on this forum. So maybe it’s a thumbs up hashtag whatever for technology.

HS: Pity about the New Forest going into Tier 4, you will miss your running buddies, but you can at least run with one other person. I don’t know why the government doesn’t just bite the bullet and have another national lockdown, most of the country is now in Tier 4 and I heard this morning that they have made yet another last minute change, this time affecting Primary school pupils in the south. The rules have become so complicated (well, they are to me anyway) that I’m not surprised people are rebelling against them. My granddaughter needs some new shoes for her return to school on Monday (a sudden growing spurt over Christmas presumably) but shoe shops are closed, so my son will have to see if the local supermarket has anything suitable in her size. However if he wanted to buy some hamster food that’s ok as pet shops can stay open, he could also drop off some clothes at the dry cleaners or use the car wash.
    We were also woken up at midnight by fireworks :/ .

JB: The only running related kit I got for Christmas was a new pair of shoes, but as I’d chosen and ordered them myself they were hardly a surprise. Oh yes, almost forgot - I also got a new yoga mat from my son. I’ve already got three mats, so will add this one to the collection :) . Some excellent running from you JB, and a 5k WAVA to be proud of. You’re creeping closer and closer to 80% - national standard!

WtnMel: I liked your old Lang sign joke. I hope the physio appointment on Thursday will help. If it’s any consolation at least your injury has happened at a time when the weather makes running difficult, so you may not have been able to run much anyway. That’s the position we are in at the moment, we often wake to frost, sleet or snow and even walking is difficult at times. Having said that we did manage to go for a walk a couple of days ago, but as it’s pretty hilly around here we found the uphill sections were a lot easier to walk than the downhill ones. Yesterday was fine, no ice or snow, but because it was New Year’s Day half the local population were out for a walk. We decided against running on the Derwent Walk because although it’s literally outside our front door we knew it would be full of family groups, and it’s a rather narrow path. Our son drove to a park for his run, but found it really busy and ended up having to run on the muddy grass verges rather than paths. So Steve and I set out for the reservoir hoping, because it's off the beaten track, that it wouldn’t be too busy. However we couldn’t even get close for all the cars parked along the verges on the approach road. We quickly ran through a list of other possible routes, but realised they would all be too busy so gave up and went home. It would have been a better idea to have got out really early before everywhere got so congested.
    Today we’ve got heavy snow showers, not ideal conditions for running but nice for the kids though. 

• Aquarius, ah - now I get Mel's joke. I must be really dim. We've been watching the Only Connect and University Challenge Xmas specials. I'm hopeless at the former; totally out of my depth/ Mrs JB is very, very good at the missing vowels round. I'm sure it's a form of witchcraft. I usually get my own back in University Challenge and honours are then even. (Mrs JB is the least competitive person you'll find. I'm not.)

Mel's visual gag was more Only Connect than UC - hence I didn't get it. (I'm happy just watching Victoria Coren for30 mins anyway, whereas Paxman is a bully-cum-know all.) Bring back Bamber!

If I see anyone selling yoga mats I'll get you one to add to your collection.

As for the 80% WAVA, I think that will be a bridge too far (good film, that). I just crept over 79% a few years back. If only I'd have know surely I could have found a couple of seconds from somewhere!

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Columba - our posts crossed! Good to hear from you (other than us leaving comments on each other's training on Fetch). I have an armband designed for my ipod - I tried it but my phone was too big to fit in so thank goodness for the Garmin. Must admit, not come across Endomondo before. I see you may need to give Viewranger a try - I had a look after HS's question and see you can record tracks for 'trail running'. But to be honest, there's no restriction so I'm sure it would work for you whether walking or running. And it's free, so no point not giving it a try in the meantime? As you say, Zoom has been a real boon for allowing people to get together despite being miles apart.

JB - we had people near us letting off fireworks from 7pm, but most of them between 11:30pm and midnight. I was in bed by then but it was too noisy to get to sleep! Well done re that WAVA score for your first run of 2021. Not sure your partner's "run a 5k every day" regime will last the year - but who knows? I must be different to you - give me garish, brightly-coloured pair of trainers every time - the more garish, the better. At least then people can't complain they didn't see me coming towards them ;)

HS - I'd say for anyone not sure, give View Ranger a try and see if you like it or not .. I've tried it on a couple of walks with Margaret and personally give it a thumbs-up. I also saw the news reports about parties being broken up and people getting fines. I would definitely take any Garmin forecasts with a very large pinch of salt!

Aquarius - I agree about technology being a good thing (as long as you can get to grips with it!). It's good to be spread around the UK but able to 'meet' on here and as you may know, HS, Damien and I are buddies on Strava and Columba and I compare notes on Fetch. I expect you can keep the new yoga mat until the old ones get worn out or you get bored with them. Shame the places you walked were busy - but no surprise they were, given everyone had probably been indoors for a couple of days and was desperate for some fresh air and exercise. As you say, weather permitting, probably worth getting up early next time and try to beat the rush to get a parking space.

My Mum (93 years young! has expressed an interest in getting a freeview recorder and/or 'smart' tv and broadband in her flat so she can record programmes and also access things like Netflix .. this was after speaking to one of her flatmates at her sheltered housing. I'll need to speak to my sister and compare notes about what to get her - the main criteria will need to be ease of use. 

Was trying earlier on to help the manager of the Arts Together charity I've volunteered to help with their Office 365 admin. Tried, but failed, to help her with a problem printing webpages and a problem scanning documents. In my defence, nigh on impossible to help too much when you can't see what they are seeing and they're using a browser (Firefox) that you don't use yourself and a make of scanner (Brother) you're not familiar with either!

I treated myself to a game called "Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim" after trying it at my son's - unfortunately, it doesn't run at all well on my less powerful laptop. But my 'gaming' son has pointed me towards how to 'tweak' the various settings in the game (to lower the graphics settings) to try and get it running better. Hope I can get it to run okay - waste of £11.99 otherwise! :)

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - just saw you had posted while I was putting together my missive. I've given up on Only Connect. Unlike University Challenge, where I occasionally seem to be able to hazard a guess, I don't ever seem to have a clue with OC apart from the missing vowels round - so I've decided to stop recording it. If I'm honest, it took me a good 30 secs while starting at that photo of the sign for Lang the first time before the penny dropped.

JB, well done for another amazing 5k. I hope that you haven't peaked too soon.😃
    I am quite a fan of OC and University Challenge, although must admit that I don't know most of the answers. I also like Countdown, and once got the conundrum that the contestants and audience failed  to get. I am hopeless at the numbers though😒
    I had a few 80+ WAVAS back in the day.

Aquarius, yes it will be difficult now to arrange running partners, but on Monday we will draw straws, to ascertain who will run with who, and each pair will run a different course.
    We've got the same problem in the forest with the car parks being full, and cars parking on the grass verges again. This morning there were more runners, dog walkers and walkers than usual. Obviously the directive to only meet outside, is bringing them out to our beauty spots. Four ponies were killed  a day or so ago , and the car was a write off. the driver must have been speeding.

WtnMel, I didn't see the New Year in, but was awoken at midnight by the fireworks.
    The View Ranger certainly looks a good bet for walkers and hikers.
    That's good that your elderly mother has shown an interest in acquiring a smart TV or similar, as this will certainly broaden her access to programmes that she is interested in. 
    That problem with printing and scanning does seem insurmountable in the circumstances.
    Hope you can sort out that game you recently purchased.

Ran the 41st consecutive not a parkrun in the forest this morning with Sarah F. The trails were much wetter and muddier than expected, and quite slippery in places.
    I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow, as todays run was tough. 
  • Mel, your mum sounds as though she is still very much 'with it'. Neither of my parents reached 93 (dad 79;mum 89) but they were on the slide for some years, bless 'em. My dad would have thought a smart TV was one wearing a tie! 

HS, why am I not surprised that you pushed through the 80% WAVA barrier. Back in the day, no-one really seemed to bother too much with the age grade thing. Out of interest, what were the details of your best ever WAVA? (I appreciate that you might not have the data to hand.)

I kept my training partner company today while he an his daily 5K and I went on to run 8K. This was very slow - but I found it as hard as my last 2 fast runs. Need a rest day, which I'll take tomorrow.

JB, I've only got records of races since 1985 which I've entered on fetch, but I've recorded quicker runs prior to then. My 80%+ WAVAS that are summarised on fetch are as follows:-

10k 37.00 81.65%
    10k 35.52 81.02%

13.1 1.20.58 80.63%
    10k 37.15 80.46%
    10k 38.00  80.14%
    5 miles 29.45 80.01%

These times were all gun times, so could easily have been a minute or more quicker if chip timed.

• HS, a record to be proud of!
  • Good afternoon all,

JB, thanks! I'm afraid my standards have dropped as I struggle to get into the seventies now. I've never quite regained my form since my knee injury in 2017. 
    It was cold, but sunny this morning. I ran 8.4 miles in the forest with Sarah F. The terrain was wetter and muddier than expected, but we enjoyed the run.
    I'm awaiting Doris's broadcast this evening at 8pm to see if he is going to put us into total lockdown. This will probably mean reverting back to running solo again.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - I've spoken to my sister about my Mum's request re Netflix. She's going to find out what BT contract my Mum is currently on and as I'm retired and she is busy, I'll do the necessary research to come up with a 'shopping list' for my Mum on what she will need. No progress yet re the Arts Together manager's computer problems - I've done what I can for now and she'll get back in touch when she's had another 'play' (technical term). Well done for 41 consecutive 'not-a-parkrun's - and for that 8.5ml run with Sarah F.

JB - my Dad died at 70 but my Mum shows no signs of slowing down and is still in full control of her marbles. Well done re your 8k - I'm sure the speed will return.

I won't be at all surprised if we have to go back into a total lockdown as not enough people seem to have been taking things seriously enough (the Dominic Cummings effect!) and the current measures don't seem to be controlling the spread.

As I mentioned previously, off to the physio on Thu morning. We went for a walk yesterday - just a quick 2mls round the block - and my knee was okay but I know as soon as I start running again it will start giving me problems. After more poking and prodding and consulting my anatomy & physiology book from when I did a massage course, I have my own pet theory of what the problem might be but I'll wait and see what the 'expert' has to say.

Still struggling to get that Skyrim game to run on my laptop - may have to wait until I upgrade to a faster machine. Meantime, since my son has donated his 'spare' PS3 and a few old games he no longer is interested in, I may see if I can pick up a second-hand version cheaply.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Very impressed by these high WAVAs.
    Missed not-a-parkrun for the first time last week, mainly thanks to weather conditions. But ran 2 miles today. Nothing to measure them with, but it was a route I am familiar with and know is 2 miles.
    Sad thing about those NF ponies being killed. Aren't we supposed to be exercising "from home" rather than driving somewhere in order to exercise? Hundreds of people at Snowdonia over the holiday, apparently, some from as far away as London.
  • Well, predictions about the lockdown were correct. I'm not sure how schools could be 'safe' one day but 'vectors of infection the next'! We live in difficult times. Looks like we (HS) can still train outdoors (once a day) and with one other person?
    I think that - as Columba as said - we'll all be running closer to home i.e. not driving to run.
    In this spirit I went local this morning. Over the last few years I've been running around a cemetery (various members of my and Mrs JB's families are there already, but are a bit less mobile than me - for now!). There's an almost perfect 250 metre, smooth, tarmac 'track' that I use. (I see the occasional deer, as it's not far from the South Downs.)
    20 laps = 5k. A boring workout but quite a fast if not ideal track as it's a little undulating. The good news: 21.55. The bad news: although the Garmin records '5k', I'm sure it's a bit short - so I won't even check the WAVA.
    Mel - if your self-diagnosis is correct, you can pursue an alternative (additional) career as a physio! 

WtnMel, a friend of mine is doing something similar for his Dad, whose sight isn't so good, nor is his hearing. 
    It's good that we are still allowed to exercise with one other person. The challenges that the club are setting are much more productive, running with a partner. Thankfully, I am self motivating, but prefer running in company these days.
    I'll be interested to hear what your physio's diagnosis is, and what treatment is recommended.  

Columba, thanks. I was very competitive in the past, but at the age of 75 am just pleased to still be running, and enjoying it.
    Sorry to hear that you missed a not a parkrun, but glad to hear that you are still running 5k's. I cancelled my membership to the Health and Fitness Centre at the start of the original lockdown, and have never restarted it again. I did the spinning sessions for more than 2 years, but have no intention of restarting them. They served their purpose by helping me to retain a certain amount of fitness, whilst I could only walk and jog. I believe you said a while ago that you were having problems booking a session, so decided not to bother again?
    Yes we are not supposed to drive to our places of exercise, but I'm afraid drivers are ignoring that, as the forest carparks are full and drivers parking on the grass verges again. There are hundreds of animals killed every year by careless, ignorant drivers, ignoring the speed limits.

JB, yes as I mentioned above, we can still run with one other person!
    I remember you saying that you had "a running track" round the cemetery. Do you believe that if you tried, you could run a faster 5k on that track, than on the road? Mike said that he would like to try a 5k on a track as he thought he would run it quicker. I advised that the first few attempts would probably be slower, as he would be tempted to set off too quickly, and burn out during the last k. It takes quite a while to adapt to track running. I attribute my early high WAVA achievements to the fact that I trained twice a week on the track, with a good Coach.
    Today is a rest day, and tomorrow will probably be hill reps. I have an appointment in the afternoon with the Hygienist.