New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• HS, so sorry to hear about your fall. I'm sure you will bounce back.....but maybe a few days off, as you stiffen up, might be necessary. I think that the hands will usually take the brunt of such a fall - and I've still got a problematic thumb from a fall in the spring to prove it. 

Aqua, it sounds as though there are plenty of events up in your neck of the woods. Not so down here, other than our splendidly named 'Hangover Five' on (of course) New Year's day. A few years ago when there were still 'double' Parkuns on NYD, I heard two runners chatting after finishing their 2nd - they were off to the Hangover Five. I was impressed! Sorry to that Covid has impacted you family (ditto HS's).

Mel, as ever I'm impressed (and a little bit envious) of your systematic approach.

My son and family had a totally problem free return from Poland which was a great relief all round, esp to Mrs JB who picked them up from Standsted. The sheer joy of all parties when they were reunited with the dog really lightened the heart.

Evening run for me in approx 30 minutes time.........(it's turned very, very mild here).

• HS I hope you aren't too stiff or sore today, I'm glad you weren't alone when you fell.

JB Good to hear your son and family have returned home safely. Did you get out for your run last night?

Back to grandma duties today, busy day and feeling pretty exhausted now. Same again tomorrow so it's a good job I don't intend running again until New Year's Day when I'll get the weekend off.  :)
  • Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, I wonder how many twitter posts they actually read, as they get thousands. I assume that those to politicians, and the like, are intercepted by secretary's who vet them and only pass on those that they think are acceptable. 

The "Yes" concert was good, but I was very disappointed with the "Deep Purple" one. The final number "Smoke on the Water," was the only decent one.

Good to hear that you are now walking and running, and that you have won a prize. Years ago there was a TV show where the Presenter would say "You've won a prize!" I can't remember the show or the Presenters name.

Interesting tying a parcel with twine is not permitted. I've never tried it, having always used Sellotape, or sticky back plastic, as they used to say to avoid advertising.

JB, I'm not a fan of December either. Both of my parents died in that month. Dad at the end of December, and Mum on Christmas Day 3 years later. I won't be staying up to see the New Year in.

Thanks, I wasn't feeling as achy this morning as I thought I would, but rather than risking a run, I decided to walk into the village, instead of driving. I had to purchase a parking clock, so that was a good reason.

The club are doing a hangover hobble on New Years Day, but I don't intend to partake. There is also the new Bartley Park parkrun, but I will see how I feel whether or not I will do it. I'll probably just do a local run.

That's good news that your son and family had a trouble free return from Poland.

I hope yesterdays evening run went off ok.

Aquarius, thanks, I was running with Mike, so luckily it wasn't a solo run. The weather was dreadful with pouring rain and strong winds. I think that was why it was just the two of us.

I felt much better this morning than I thought I would, and as I mentioned in a post above, walked to the village and back, nearly 4 miles, but very slow.

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the Christmas period putting us out of our usual routines. Everyone seems to have been saying that they have no idea what day it is.

Good luck if you decide to do the 6 mile cross country on New Years Day. I have a feeling that you may give it a miss, if the Covid numbers continue to escalate. That's the main reason why I won't be doing the hangover hobble. The meeting up point is in a fairly small car park, and I don't fancy mixing with club runners that I haven't been in contact with.

I have my doubts too re the lateral Flow and PCR tests. I suppose the reduction from 10 days to 7 days is a progressive step, but it's 5 now in the States. I reckon Dozy Doris will receive overwhelming pressure to resign if he's got it wrong, leaving any restrictions until the new year. Liz Truss seems to be a front runner now to replace him. She who was once a Liberal, then an avid "Remainer," and now a strong supporter of BREXIT. Just as unreliable and untrustworthy as Doris.

I've got very little else to report. Sarah H took part in one of the "Brutal" series of races on Saturday, where there was much wading through knee deep or deeper mud, and waist deep water. Also some very steep, slippery hills, with "runners" sliding down in the mud on their backsides.

Another rest day today, and I'm not sure what I will be doing tomorrow. Depends what the others want to do. 

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year ⛄😀
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Aqua, yes, I've been running in the evenings of late. I've managed 30k this week which is very little by the standards of many, but virtually marathon training for me. Only a couple of them have been  at easy pace so I think that, with the rowing intervals too, I might be near to over-training. We'll see in tomorrow's parkrun.
    We've had grandparent duties today too. I'm not moaning but isn't it exhausting? I'm afraid I'm a bit short in the patience department (and a lot of other departments too) and I really do find it a challenge. Well done for your 2 day shift. (It's a lot easier when the weather is decent, isn't it?) 

HS, agree with you about Liz (not to be trusted) Truss! It sounds as though you are not too battered - thankfully. Sorry about your sad Decembers - my dad dies in early January.
    New Year brings out my inner inner grump, especially now that our PM has (in effect) sanctioned mass Covid infections. And then there's the fireworks at midnight...........

BUT, a Happy New Year! (I'm not as miserable as I must sound - honest.)
  • HS It must be quite a sad time of the year for you, with losing both parents during the month of December. I'm glad you are feeling no ill effects from your fall, and if you run tomorrow I hope you will enjoy it (and stay upright! ;) ). Sarah H's race on Saturday did indeed sound "Brutal", rather her than me, particularly the wading through waist deep water. It made me shudder just reading about it.
    I doubt I'll run tomorrow after all, which I'm quite disappointed about. I slept badly last night and woke today with a headache, earache, feeling sick and hot and just generally washed out. Our grand daughter was also complaining last night of stomach pains and feeling sick and hasn't eaten much today. It looks like we've somehow caught the same bug. I did a Covid test this morning to be on the safe side and it was negative, so I'm keeping fingers crossed it was an accurate result. 

I'll echo HS's wishes for a Happy New Year to you all. I wonder what 2022 has in store for us?
  • JB our posts crossed. Yes, I agree about grandparent duties being tiring. Steve also gets a little short on patience at times, but when you see the little face crumple (granddaughter's, not Steve's) it makes you feel very guilty. 
    Oh Lord, I'd forgotten about the fireworks at midnight (or earlier, and probably all weekend too). Great, just what we need, followed no doubt by a huge increase in Covid infections. Lucky us to have such a wonderful leader as Boris.
    This grumpiness is catching, I think I'll go and cheer myself up with the ironing  :(
  • Aqua, sorry to hear about the bug. Could ironing be a therapy? 
    Well we did manage to see the NY in and I'd be fibbing if I didn't disclose that a couple of bottles being emptied in the process. (We watched a film on Netflix that has been dividing critical opinion called Don't Look Up - which we really enjoyed but which was quite distressing as well as very funny in parts.)
    We both did our local parkrun. Standards were high - the winner did it in under 15 mins; and a VW55 achieved a 94% WAVA!
    Mrs JB was quite pleased with her 34.59. I managed 21.20 and should have been a little faster. However, my recent birthday helped make this an 80.08% WAVA, so that was OK.
    I actually beat my son for the first time (not with a stick, you understand), but I think he let me, as I went past him in the last 50 metres and he didn't respond. (He was fed up as lost managed to turn up with his parkrun number.)
    Mrs JB is now a bit throaty so I think she might have got Aqua's bug?

JB, well done for seeing the New Year in. I didn't, but woke up at midnight to the sound of fireworks. 

Well done to you and Mrs JB for your parkrun times. Good of your son to let you pass him in the last 50 metres. I hope Mrs JB hasn't got the lurgy. 

I ran a solo 10 miles on roads this morning to test my bashed up left knee,  and it was fine. I definitely made the right decision, as Sarah F ran the new parkrun, and then the Hangover Hobble. I've seen photos of the Hobble and in some, they are wading waist deep in water. There is no way that I could have done that, and would have had to have turned back, losing face ☹
    I haven't heard from Sarah yet how she got on with the parkrun, or what she thought about the hobble. I can't imagine that she was very happy about the water wading!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I meant to post yesterday but was overtaken by events (trip over to my mate Alan's for NYE lunch)

HS - I see (on Strava) that the knee you gashed when you fell didn't give you any problems on your 10ml run. I doubt the people I reply to ever read my Twitter posts .. tbh, I've started thinking I've had some fun and it's time to do something more useful. Glad it wasn't just me was underwhelmed by that Deep Purple concert - I didn't even enjoy Smoke On The Water! I don't remember the show you mentioned - but I do remember Jim Bowen on Bullseye telling people to come and see what they COULD have won. Sorry to hear December isn't your favourite month and why. I don't think Liz Truss would win any vote - she's a political lightweight who changes her mind and is unprincipled depending on what she has to believe in to get a job she fancies. Rishi Sunak seems more likely to win any leadership vote. That race Sarah H did does sound errr brutal .. I think I'd rather wait until the Summer to be wading through mud and waist deep water.

Aquarius - I've not heard anything about the bobble hat yet despite sending a message to Fetch with my details. But hopefully he's having a break over xmas and new year and will be in touch this coming week. Well done for forcing yourself out for that 5ml run .. Steve must have been rueing going out later and getting sleet rather than rain. Re covid tests - the lateral flow aren't as accurate as the PCR tests (we've been watching the Royal Institution lectures with Jonathan Van Tam who covered this subject). Sorry to hear it sounds like you've caught some sort of bug and aren't feeling 100%

JB - glad to hear you son didn't have any problems getting back from Poland. We don't get grandparent duties nowadays as the 'girls' are 10 and 13 - and judging by the meal they came to a couple of days ago, have their faces stuck in a phone or tablet most of the time.

I wasn't planning to stay up yesterday to see in the New Year - but I couldn't get off to sleep (very strange for me) and then when I was nodding off the fireworks kept me awake.

In other news since I last posted ..

My son messaged me to let me know the package I posted to him on Wed arrived the following day. He posted our presents late in the day on Wed so they didn't turn up until yesterday (Fri).

I didn't get out on Thu as we had Margaret's sons and family here for lunch and there were more important things needing doing like getting the table set up etc.

However, I did get out for 4mls yesterday. As before, I walked the first 2mls then started running and managed to run/walk the remainder of the route - and on the downhill slope back to the house, reached the dizzy heights of 11:25mm pace ;)

WtnMel, I remember Bullseye and the "wonderful prizes!"
    That was amazing, the parcel arriving the next day. My daughter had to return my Christmas Present to the shop, as it had a tear. She posted the replacement yesterday, but as tomorrow is a Bank Holiday, it probably won't arrive until Tuesday or later.

That was nice, having Margaret's sons and family with you for lunch.

Good that you got out yesterday for 4 miles. I see that you were "Jeffing again."

This morning was a solo 10k in the forest. The terrain is wetter and muddier than ever, due to heavy rain during the last couple of nights. It rained heavily this afternoon also, so will be worse than ever tomorrow. We should have a good turn out tomorrow morning by the Monday Group, as it is a Bank Holiday.
  • JB Well done to you and Mrs JB on your parkrun results, especially considering the 2 bottles (wine/beer?) you consumed the previous evening, and your late night. However I have to say I find that 55 year old’s 94% WAVA a bit suspicious. What a shame your son forgot his barcode, it’s really annoying when that happens. I hope if Mrs JB did have my lurgy it only lasted as long as mine - 1 day. When I got up on Saturday I felt a lot better, but still decided against pushing my luck with the 6 mile XC and instead did a bit of yoga and some strengthening exercises. 

HS A 10 mile road run is quite a test for a damaged knee. :) I’m pleased you were able to report no ill effects. Your run today sounded a bit grim underfoot, and as you say, it will probably be even worse tomorrow. I hope your daughter’s Christmas present turns up soon, I had forgotten that it was a bank holiday tomorrow until you mentioned it.

WtnMel I hope your bobble hat turns up soon, no doubt the post is still getting back to normal after the Christmas disruption. Good to see you are still managing to fit in a walk/run when you can (knowing how busy you always are) It must have been nice for Margaret to have her family over for lunch on Thursday. I agree Rishi Sunak will probably be the front runner if there is a leadership election. Regarding test results - youngest son and both grandsons had PCR tests on Wednesday, they were told they’d get their results in 24 to 48 hours. They are still waiting for them. When he managed to get through to them yesterday our son was told he’d get the result in another 24 to 48 hours, despite it being 72 hours since they took the tests! It’s a good job they didn’t need the results in a hurry. Another one of Boris’s great ideas that seems to be struggling to cope.

As mentioned above I decided against the 6 mile XC yesterday but did get out today for a few laps of the park. All being well I’ll be going over to the coast on Tuesday night for our next 5k Grand Prix run. The last one was cancelled due to the weather, but so far the forecast is good for Tuesday.
  • A rest day today (aka housework) apart from some yoga this morning. It’s a nice sunny day today, would have been nice to go for a run but I’ll not be tempted.

Aquarius, I decided to do a long run to test the knee and see how it got on. I was very pleased to have no after effects. 

I'll be looking out for my Christmas present tomorrow.

The delay for the results of PCR  Tests is a disgrace. One of todays runners told me that someone they knew, after eventually getting through on the web, was offered a test at Eastleigh Airport, about an hours drive away. This is almost as bad as waiting for the results of the tests. There is also a shortage of LFT Kits, so people hoping to test before going out, can't, but probably go out anyway. The LFT Kits are manufactured in China, and apparently the Government refuses to purchase from a UK manufacturer, despite them dispatching to overseas Countries. Johnson's handling of the pandemic has been shambolic from day one. I sincerely hope that in years to come, he doesn't get made Sir Boris Johnson!!!

Probably a good idea not doing the 6 mile x country, but to do a few laps of the park instead.
    Good luck with the 5k Grand Prix.

Well done doing yoga on a rest day from running.

There was, as expected, a good turn out this morning by the Monday Group. There were 8 of us which was ideal. The rain held off, and the forest wasn't as muddy as expected. We ran 8.42 miles.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - I was impressed with how quickly that package got to my son. Well done re your solo 10K in the forest, especially given the mud and general wetness after the heavy rain. I think there'd be even more of an outcry than there was about Blair if Boris ever became Sir Boris, given his track record. Good to hear you had a good turnout at today's run of the Monday group - and glad to hear the rain held off and the mud wasn't as deep as you had feared.

Aquarius - glad to hear your lurgy only lasted one day but don't blame you for not trying to do that 6ml XC the following day. I'm not holding my breath re this bobble hat - no-one has been in touch yet to arrange things so I still don't know if I get to choose one - or get given one the company has selected. You're right - lucky your son wasn't in any hurry for that test result! I see you did get out for a few laps of the park.

I had a v-e-r-y slow stroll around Pittville Park this morning with the u3a coffee and chat ladies (one lady had trouble with her hip which slowed her down). I had planned to go for a run/walk around the park after the C&C but I wasn't able to extend my parking ticket (no return within 4hrs) so ended up driving home to run ..

.. and when I did go out after getting home, I managed to do 3.5mls and after walking the first half-mile I ran/walked the rest. As HS has explained, rather than walking I am now 'Jeffing') :) I was pleased to manage more running than I have been doing - and although my legs feel more tired as a result, there's no niggles or pain, which is good news.
  • Evening all (my Dixon of Dock Green impersonation),

Aqua, I checked on the VW55-59 runner: she ran 19.42 wit a WAVA of 93.15%. I thought she looked a bit fit! Good luck for your Tuesday evening run.  (And it was 2 bottles of wine on NYE, I'm afraid.) As HS observes, that's a rather scandalous delay in getting those PCR results. My goodness, there will be some questions asked one day about various Covid  related issues - and I think we all know where the buck should stop.

HS, I suspect your best Christmas pressie is a fully functioning knee. You must be a toughie. How nice to run with 8 pals too.

Mel, your progress along the path to being a runner again is evident. Good to hear this.

Not much to report from this end. Did a very slow 10k with my neighbour yesterday. Today I did 4 x 500 metres on the rower. I usually do  8 x 250 at the same pace. The only difference is that I give myself 1 minute rest between the 250 intervals but 2 minutes between the 500s. I found the longer intervals much harder and I think I'll now transfer this to my running intervals - i.e change them to 500s.

I discovered that I am the 25th fastest parkrunner in the country in my category for the whole of 2022 (so far). So I vote that we close down all parkruns forthwith!

WtnMel, I'm still awaiting my parcel. I've taken down my Christmas Cards today. 

Well done strolling in the morning and Jeffing in the afternoon. Good to hear that you had no niggles or pain. 

JB, yes, I suppose a fully functioning knee is a great Christmas present. My running buddies admired the scabs and bruises 😁

Congratulations on being the 25th fastest so far this year, parkrunner in your age category! Quit whilst the going is good 🤣

I  don't think I mentioned that a couple of days ago, I was nearly "taken out" by a falling tree branch. The road and pavement leading to the forest has trees either side of the road;  I heard a crack and the branch crashed to the ground right in front of me. I couldn't believe how lucky I was. Another Christmas present perhaps 🤔

Today is a rest day, and hill reps are scheduled for tomorrow. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - I'm quietly pleased my running (albeit very slow at present) isn't causing me any knee issues. I have to keep reminding myself it's been a long while since I've run regularly and to be patient with building up the distance and not attempt too much, too soon. I did download the CouchTo5K app a while back and it's probably time to start looking at that (even if I'm already 'jeffing' for 3 miles or so!). I think it's fair enough that we get parkrun closed down nationwide to allow you to keep your high position.

HS - we'll be taking out xmas cards down tomorrow or Thu (I can't remember which day Margaret starts counting from). The only other decoration we have is the small xmas tree I mentioned which we'll be planting in the garden - so probably a 5 minute job! :) You were very lucky not to have been taken out by that falling branch.

No walking or jeffing for me today but I've done my stretching/strengthening exercises. I'm trying to motivate myself to do 15 mins on the exercise bike.

One good bit of news - I phoned the leisure centre earlier and they've confirmed my swimming club's new two hour sessions with both pools, sauna and steam room, can start as planned from this coming Sunday. Given the current circumstances, I don't know how many members, who last swam in Mar 2020, will return. For now, we're working on the premise that "If we offer them a two hour swim session - they will come". But it may take a while before numbers return to somewhere near normal. The club secretary and I are popping along to the leisure centre on Thu morning to try out the new contactless payment gadget we've got to avoid handling too much cash. We need to get it linked up to the leisure centre's wifi and then I'll do a test transaction of £1 to check it arrives in the club's bank account the following day.
    edited January 2022
    Mel, that sounds like a good result on the swimming. You sound as though you have the negotiator's job, there. Do you watch the TV/listen to the radio/read while you are on the exercise bike? They are boring aren't they? My best sessions have been when the Tour de France is on the TV and I 'join' the leaders in their finishing section. I've never yet caught the buggers!

HS, gashed knees and falling tree branches: it sounds as if the idyllic New Forest isn't as idyllic as I thought. Whatever next? Python attacks?

A hilly 3 miler today. Hard and sub 8 minute miles. I was pleased with this. Noticeably colder here with a bitter wind. Took the puppy for a nice walk.

Against all my better judgment and all known common sense, I shall listen to the Ashes 4th test tonight, or at least bits of it. I must be an out and out masochist. Surely it can't get any worse?? Watched Bojo's broadcast. Now that WAS masochistic!

PS car got through its MOT. Relief!
  • GP 5k over. I’ve never been so cold, wind chill -5.
    Will post properly tomorrow when I’ve thawed out.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - I saw this morning that our club secretary has emailed everyone to remind them the swim sessions start again this Sunday. As I said yesterday - now we wait and see who turns up! As I was only on the exercise bike for 15mins I didn't bother with the radio or my ipod but would have done so if it had been for longer. In the event, I managed 5k in 15:35 so was quite happy with that bit of gentle exercise after my stretching. Well done re the hilly 3 miler at a good pace. Yes - you are a masochist staying up to listen to the Ashes commentary given the way results have gone so far. Yay for the car passing it's MOT.

Aquarius - that GP 5K sounds very hardcore with it being so cold - hope you've thawed out now.

Speaking of cold - not like Aquarius's weather - but I went out before breakfast and the leaves on the paths were 'crunchy' from the frost we'd had overnight. I managed 3.8mls and apart from a 5min walk at the start, I was able to run/walk the rest. On a positive note - a lady passed me as I was walking and when I did start running again I was keeping up with her. She ended up doing the same route as me and was never out of sight (about 100yds ahead) so I was happy I was managing a reasonable pace. And although my legs feel a bit tired from the running there's no niggles from the knees - which makes me even happier :)
  • WtnMel: Good to see you are getting back into running, and without any knee problems. That sounds like a good session today, I take it the lady who passed you when you were walking was a runner? If so then you must be coming along well to have kept up with her when you started running. Well done for building your distances up slowly, and I expect your exercise bike session yesterday will have added to your fitness. I’m sure the C to 5k programme wouldn’t present any problems. I hope you get a good turn out on Sunday when your swimming sessions start up again, although perhaps some people might still feel a bit cautious about mixing indoors at the moment with Covid figures being so high (thank you Boris).

HS: Nice to have such a good turn out by the Monday Group, and a bonus that the forest wasn’t too muddy this time. What a shock you must have got when that branch broke off and narrowly missed you! As you say, another Christmas present for you, along with your fully functioning knee (perhaps you should buy a lottery ticket since your luck is in at the moment :)  or maybe you will hear some good news about your inheritance?)
    We also took down our cards and trees yesterday, how bare the place looks now. I hope your hill reps session went well today, and it wasn’t too cold.

JB: That is an amazing time for a 55-59 year old runner. Did you check out her other parkrun times (I’m being rather nosey, I know)? My son eventually received his PCR results, 5 days after taking the test. It was positive, but surprisingly both children tested negative (although one was positive on a LFT). It’s all a bit of a mess.
    I’m happy to second your vote to close down parkruns if it means you keep that excellent record. You deserve it for the amount of training you are packing in. A parkrun on Saturday, a 10k on Sunday then the rower on Monday and your hilly 3 miler yesterday. It's exhausting just thinking about it.

What a horrendous run that was last night at the coast. We’d had snow here (although at the coast it was just frost) and when we set off at about 5pm the car was still covered with snow. Even after a 20+ mile drive to the coast, and the same back, the car still had snow on it. That will give you an idea of how cold it was. The temperature was shown on my phone app as 1 degree, but the wind chill made it feel like minus 5. I was so cold while doing my warm up I almost went back to the car to go straight home, and I’ve never felt like opting out of a run before. My chest was aching with the cold and it felt difficult to breathe properly for the first half mile or so. I caught up with a couple of runners and kept behind them up to the turn around point, but once on the way back I found it really difficult to make much headway due to the strong wind. I put my head down and pushed as hard as I could but it was difficult going (when runners passed me I was quite glad to see they were struggling too, and by the language used it was clear they weren’t enjoying it either). Just before the turn around point there was a short section along the lower prom, which had no lighting (apart from the marshals at either end), so you were relying on a head or chest torch to light your way. I could see from my torchlight that the sea was crashing over the prom wall and just missing us, so I suppose that was a plus, things could have been worse. In the end I was just glad to finish and get back into the car for a hot drink. Although my time was worse than for the previous GP it wasn’t that much worse, so that and dodging the waves are the positives I’ll take from last night. Oh yes, nearly forgot - I eventually got my medal and voucher from the Masters 10k I did in November for being 3rd V65 woman, another positive. :)
  • Aqua, that was a very convincing description of a night of an event! You deserve another medal for simply completing it. It must have taken a lot out of you. Perhaps one consolation should be in the knowledge that 99.9% of other women (and men!) in our age group wouldn't have been able to do that one, And I'm including myself in that number. As I've said before, they breed 'em tough up there. 
    With regard to the lady who did the 93% WAVA, she has got a bit of a track record but the funny thing is that she runs with one of the smallest and (TBH) weakest clubs in Sussex. And it's very near some excellent ones, so fair play to her for her loyalty.  
    That medal looks good - where are you going to keep it? I think it should be on display with the hundreds of others that you've got.

Mel, as per Aqua I'm very impressed by your very structured approach to your comeback. Looking forward to hearing of further progress.

I had one of those senior moments today. I was having a coffee with a friend in town and checked the time: it was 12.28 and I realised that I had another friend coming round to my house at 12.30. I'm a bit of a punctuality obsessive so I was horrified, and texted my mate and Mrs JB to warn her of an impending visitor and for her to keep him talking while I got myself home.  I made my apologies to my friend in the cafe and dashed the mile of so home, wearing coat, scarf and hat. About 10 minutes later I arrived home absolutely shattered to find Mrs JB but no visitor.

I checked my watch again and it was 12.40, so where was he?

The answer was that he was still at home. The time was actually 11.40 and my watch was an hour fast. Why? Because it was a watch that I hadn't used since Autumn,,,,,when the clocks go back. Wally.

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    JB Somehow I can't see you passing up the opportunity of a competitive 5k race, whatever the weather. I do agree though that most people of our age wouldn't consider it. The results of these GP races don't give any information regarding age, so I can't tell how many competitors are of a similar age to me, however I know age will be taken into consideration when calculating the handicaps. Also, in addition to the actual finish times and places, another table is produced of athlete overall positions. Although I'm sometimes one of the last few to finish the race, my current overall position rating is 39th out of 250. That's why I like this series of races, it's weighted fairly for all club members. You don't have to be young and super speedy, you are just expected to run as well as you can for your age, gender and ability.
    Speaking of age, gender and ability I'm in awe of that lady with the 5k 93% WAVA, and apologise to her for doubting her result. What an athlete! I expect her contemporaries feel depressed whenever she shows up at races - there's no way you are going to beat someone like that.

I loved that story about your senior moment, I expect you took some stick from Mrs JB about it.  :D

(The medal has gone in the cupboard, along with the others from the last few years, the rest are in the loft. In case it sounds as if I win lots of things I should explain that most of them are just finisher's medals.)

Snow here again today, and strong winds forecast, I don't think I'll get out for the run I had planned. The forecast for the next few days isn't great either. More snow and winds, then rain on Saturday. Our next XC is on Saturday, and I'm trying to get some enthusiasm up for it. It's a struggle at the moment. I'm not too bothered about the rain (well, ok I am a bit) but it's the conditions underfoot that worry me. We've had freezing temperatures overnight for a few days now so the snow is hard packed and uneven. I don't fancy negotiating hills when it's like that. I'll wait and see what it's like on Saturday, with any luck the rain may have melted the snow by then.
    edited January 2022
    Aqua, 39th out of 250 is to be respected. I'm so addicted to age grading that as soon as any Parkrun results come out I immediately re-configure them. It's nice to see your position change from 50th or so to 2nd or 3rd (on a good day!).
    Your weather sounds dreadful. It's miserable here with a biting wind but no signs of snow. We are often just about the last place in the UK to get snow - not because of the sea but because the south downs are protective.
    My grandkids 'other' granddad has got Covid, so it looks like we'll be doing extra after-school shifts. I don't think he's got much by way of symptoms, but he has a history of heart problems so there's always a worry. He's a really lovely guy.

So I tried my new intervals regime today. I've switched from 250 metres with a 1 minute rest to 500 metres with a 2 minute rest. Same pace for both @4 min kms. I was rather dreading this but they proved to be relatively painless and I managed a uniform pace for 6 of them.  The relative luxury of 2 minute rests helped a lot - so next time I'll do more of them and reduce the rest to 90 seconds.  
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - the lady who passed me was a runner, but as you'll have gathered, she wasn't a 'fast' runner. I made sure to let her get far enough ahead so she didn't feel I was stalking her (especially important as it turned out she was following exactly the same route I had planned). My pace when running was somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00mm so not fast by any means, but good enough for now after quite a few months of only walking. That weather for your run sounds horrendous - double kudos to you for doing your race and not heading home again. I'm glad to see you have eventually got your Masters 10K medal and voucher. That system your club uses sounds very fair as older, slower runners aren't left feeling they're wasting their time running with the younger speed merchants. Most of my medals were just 'finisher' medals and I threw mine out a few years ago. I think the only one I kept was a larger, heavier one in a nice presentation box for completing a series of three tough races which I felt I'd 'earned' rather than just turned up. Hope the weather improves for you so you can get out for a run.

JB - I need a structured approach to my exercise. If I didn't keep notes, I'd never remember what I'd done the previous week, let alone the previous month ;) Yep- that really is a senior moment par excellence. Your reference to the 'other' granddad reminded me of a comment from my partner Margaret's grand-daughters - they said they have a granddad (their Mum's Dad), granddad Mel .. and 'Another Granddad' ie Margaret's ex. Glad to read your intervals session with longer distances and longer breaks worked out okay. I blogged on Fetch about my 'jeffing' and someone commented I might like to be a bit more structured about it so it's easier to see results and not overdo things.

The swim club secretary and I met at the leisure centre this morning as planned. We've linked our Sumup card reader to the centre's wi-fi and I've done a £1 test transaction which I'll check in the morning has gone through okay. We checked the plastic box-folder and cash-box we keep at the centre to make sure we had adequate supplies of various forms (turns out we did). I also met the lady I've been in touch with my phone and email who deals with all the invoicing side of things - she was nothing like I'd imagined. Anyway, we feel we're all set for Sunday now so lets' hope enough people are feeling brave enough to come swimming.

On the way back from the leisure centre, I popped along to the local golf club's driving range. I'm playing my mate Alan tomorrow and it's the first time in a month ro so, so a little practise was warranted. There were only a handful of 'duff' shots from the 50 I did so that felt good - we'll see how things go tomorrow. And hope it stays dry! I'm taking some extra pairs of gloves tomorrow - last time my hands got numb.

I took down our xmas cards and the decorations from the tree - must have taken me all of 15 minutes :) I've kept the cards for Margaret to sort through as lots of her friends scribble news-ey updates for her which she needs to look at before they go off for recycling.

A lot of posts here since my last one!

WtnMel, that's good news re the Leisure Centre swimming agreement. I hope you all make good use of it. I see that you spent 15 minutes on your spin bike. That's about as long as I could manage, but probably less.
    That was good keeping up with that lady runner during your walk/run, and without any niggles. You will soon be super fit with run/walk, spinning, swimming and playing golf.

JB, re the gashed knee and fallen branch, they were both incurred "on road!" The forest is definitely safer.
    Well done for your hilly 3 miles at 8 minute miling pace.
    Good news that your car passed its MoT.
    Had to laugh that you were wearing a watch that was 1 hour fast. Better than being 1 hour slow though!
    I'm also a fan of age grading/WAVAS. I like to compare mine with those of the younger, faster runners, and am often quicker, age related.
    Your new speed session sounded good, 500 metres at 4k pace, with 2 minute recoveries. It will be interesting to see how you get on with more reps and 90 second recoveries.

Aquarius, thanks, the Monday run was a great success, and we all really enjoyed it. Conditions were good, and it was more of a friendly social run, than a training run! 
    They say good things come in threes, so it would be good if we heard about "our inheritance!"
    Yesterdays hill session went well, see below.
    Very well done for completing your coastal run in such adverse conditions. I know how painful it can be, breathing in freezing cold air. 
    Glad to hear that you have eventually received your medal and voucher from the Masters 10k, and well done for being 3rd V65 woman! Your 39th out of 250 is very impressive.
    I hope the conditions are better for Saturdays XC, but take care if they aren't runner friendly.

I haven't got much of interest to report, but yesterdays hill session was a bit of an experiment. We did 6 hill reps on road, using the heart rate screen on our Garmins. The intention was to "Go into the red." There was only Sarah F, Mike and me, and we didn't manage it. We all got into the "threshold," which wasn't bad, I suppose. 
    It was freezing cold this morning and the ground was frosty and a bit icy. I decided to set off later than usual, in the hope that it would have cleared up. I left home at around 10.30 and conditions seemed ok. I took it carefully at first, not wanting another fall, and then upped the pace. I ran 5 miles on roads, doing a course in the reverse direction from usual. It's surprising how different it seemed. 
  • HS, that phrase 'go into the red' intrigued me. It's an HRM function on a Garmin but how is it calibrated? Just wondered. (It usually has a financial connotation and rather unfortunate one at that.) Re frost we are really lucky here as we are so near the coast and our parkrun is on the prom which very rarely gets iced over. However, I remember a couple of years ago when I was a marshal, I discovered a nasty patch of black ice and duly reported it to the race director who made an announcement to that effect. 

Mel, I'm like you in that I only keep t medals that mean something. Over the years the grandkids have had them to play with and then goodness knows where they end up. Good luck with the golf - I realised that I've been missing your match reports. 

Rest day for me today. We've been pressed into service for additional child care.
    I get to walk the dog, so that's fine by me (the dog declined to comment). Tomorrow the weather looks very grim around parkrun time. We're planning to visit my sister (just had hr 78th birthday!) in Bognor so will do their parkrun. It's a slow course but is in a lovely park with many trees and walls - so the wind is not as much of a factor as it is on our totally exposed prom.(Locally Bognor has a pretty bad reputation as it's a bit rough and ready but their parkrun is one of the friendliest I've ever done. Perhaps there's an inverse relationship between friendliness and snootiness*?)

*'no names, no pack drill' as my gran used to say.....but Chichester came to mind.

JB, I'm not entirely sure how the readings are calibrated, but think it's based on percentages of maximum heart rate. For example, achieving 80% or higher of max hr could be the intensity for going into the red. There are different levels ie 60 - 75% easy,  75 - 85% moderate,  85 - 95% hard. I think that there are 4 or 5 levels, so we can insert our percentages accordingly. I may be completely wrong, but that's I interpret it.

We are frost free here today. 
    The only finishing medals that I keep are for "special races" such as marathons, half's and 10 milers. My age category medals and cups are on top of my writing bureau 🏬, which is a bit of a bind having to remove them all for dusting and then putting them all back again. 

I hope you have a nice time at your sister's in Bognor, and show the locals a clean pair of heels in the parkrun. 

Today is a rest day today for me too. I got drenched on leaving the supermarket, by a downpour that wasn't forecast. It stopped and the sun came out when I got home, typical 😒 

My local parkrun, the Brockenhurst, which is held in the winter in Wilverley Inclosure, which I thought had been discontinued, is starting again tomorrow. I'm not doing it though, as heavy rain is forecast, and it will be a mud fest. It is muddy at the best of times.