New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• JB welcome to the “lost posts” club🙂
  • Morning all

WtnMel Everyone seems to be getting into Wordle, but I’ve resisted so far as I don’t have the time for my crossword at the moment, so getting hooked on another puzzle wouldn’t be a good idea. If there are Americanisms in it I’d give it a miss anyway.
    How annoying that the fencers didn’t turn up, no doubt they have more business than they can cope with just now due to the damage as a result of recent storms. I hope you enjoyed your fish and chips.

JB It’s really annoying to lose a post isn’t it (HS and I have fallen foul of that). I think you are wise to rest until parkrun on Saturday and then, weather permitting, really go for it. Your form at the moment is truly impressive, it would be a real shame to get crocked by doing too much training - look after that dodgy knee.

After yesterday’s wind I was glad to see it was sunny when I got up and hardly any wind to speak of as I’d decided to go to the park for hill repeats. By the time I got my running kit on the sky was grey and visibility much reduced, as I left the house ……snow started to fall. As I walked down our drive it was already getting quite heavy and the wind had got up too, driving the snow into my face and stinging my eyes. I was in two minds about going to the park as I know any signs of snow or frost results in the parkrun there being cancelled (as I’ve mentioned before you are either going up the hill at the park or down it) but in the end I decided to go and see what conditions were like when I got there. The snow had stopped by the time I arrived at the park, but there was a light covering of snow everywhere, and unfortunately some icy patches under the snow. By experimenting I found it was safe to run (fairly gingerly) uphill and come back down on the rather muddy grass at the side of the path. Adopting this method I did 7 laps then returned home. As I walked through the door my phone rang, it was our estate agent calling to tell me our buyer was thinking of pulling out and putting in an offer on a different property. Talk about sods law, as soon as we find a house we can offer on he withdraws his offer! Our estate agent is trying to get him to wait until we find out if our offer is accepted. We should hear about that at the beginning of next week, so we’re keeping fingers crossed. As JB says though, when you think of what is happening in Ukraine it puts your own troubles into perspective.
  • Afternoon all,

Just popped in to say that Andy, the computer man came round this afternoon to fix the printer, and after about an hour seemed to have fixed it, as he printed off a couple of pages. Unfortunately, after he had left, and I tried to print off an email, it didn't print, and a rectangular box appeared in the top left hand corner, which contained lists of my downloads etc. I contacted him and he is coming back tomorrow afternoon. Needless to say, I'm rather pixxed off, and not in the mood to do any posting. Hope to catch up tomorrow 🙏 🤞
  • Oh dear HS, you’re not having much luck at the moment with that printer. Fingers crossed that Andy can get it sorted out tomorrow.
  • Good morning everyone,

Aquarius, your 5 x 400 metre session was good with the fastest being 8.40 pace. The twins enjoyed their time in the park on the swings, slides etc. It made me think of many years ago when I was taking my own son and daughter to the park, swimming pool etc. 

I see that you have put in an offer for a house at the coast, but that your prospective buyer is thinking about pulling out. Certainly seems like sods law!

WtnMel, I've no intention of becoming a regular Wordle doer, especial with words like color.

You will see yesterdays episode with Andy in my post above. He is returning this afternoon, hopefully for the last time.

I had to laugh at the thought of Aquarius and Steve in the car that was rocking with the wind, as it reminded me of an occasion many years ago, when during a lunchtime run, we saw a car with steamed up windows, rocking from side to side. It definitely wasn't the wind "doing the business!"

Hope you were pleased with your haircut, and enjoyed the fish and chips.

JB, the vanishing screen has happened to me more than once! The system always used to keep "saving the draft" as we typed. This no longer happens, hence the lost screens.

Take it easy with your knee. You don't want a meniscus tear, like I had!  Well done for your age related status, and being the Counties best. To get down to 20.30 would be amazing, and I wish you luck in achieving it. I believe that by  partaking in your clubs structured training session, this will be possible.

Yesterday morning was very windy, and with heavy rain. Being a glutton for punishment, I ran a solo 10k on a very hilly road course. Part of it was on my usual route, but in reverse. It was quite strange running down hills that I usually ran up, and visa versa.

Last night, I was woken about 2.30 by the loud noise of tree cutting. It went on for ages and when I looked this morning, saw that they had been slicing up the fallen tree, and left the "slices" on the ground. I presume that they did it at night for safety reasons. I wonder how long it will be before they remove "all the evidence!"

Must start cooking my lunch, before Andy arrives.

I share all of your concerns about the grave situation in the Ukraine. Thank goodness Trump isn't still the USA President, and Corbyn isn't our PM. Johnson will have a stay of execution from being sacked whilst the invasion is the number one priority. It is not the time to change leadership during the crisis.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - sorry to hear you lost your original post. As you know, Dr Mel's suggestion is to create the post 'offline' and then copy & paste it into RW. Hope that slightly dodgy knee doesn't give you any longer-term problems. 

Aquarius - as I mentioned, I soon got bored with Wordle, even before the NYT started using Americanisms. Glad to hear the snow abated a bit for your run in the park. Ah .. that's a bugger that your buyer is thinking of pulling out now you've finally found something to make an offer on. 

HS - hope Andy can sort out your printer problem. A list of downloads sounds like it may be to do with needing a missing printer driver? (this is just pure guesswork on my part). I was out walking many years ago when we came across a lady in lingerie draped across some trees - someone was doing a 'glamour' photo-shoot and presumably thought they would be undisturbed. Kudos to the young lady - she didn't bat an eyelid and continued posing and following the photographer's instructions. Well done re your hilly 10K run. That seems a strange time of day to be using chainsaws on a fallen tree - but I guess they are working around the clock tidying up after the storms.

I went for a tentative, slow walk yesterday. I did just over a mile - with hindsight, probably further than I should have gone for the first time out. Although my foot still isn't 'right' I got around without too much pain. My achilles was a bit tight afterwards - no doubt because my toes still aren't bending fully so there is more stretching being put on the back of the leg.

We've had some more fencing guys round this morning - they've gone away to have a think about the work and give us an estimate.

I share your concerns about Ukraine. There was a new series with John Simpson a couple of nights ago called Unspun World (I think) which had some interesting comments about the reasons for why Putin is behaving as he is. I agree that Boris is probably safe for now - and you wouldn't want any of those other incompetent, talentless f**kwits in charge at the moment would you.
  • Aquarius, that's bad news and bad luck on the house move. It's beginning to look like it wasn't mean to happen. (I realise how stupid that sounds! Hope it all works out.) You do undertake some tough runs; I always look for the soft option if possible. I don't think a single flake of snow has landed on my home town this winter.

Mel, pleased to hear of the improvement re your foot. Sounds like you are on the mend. Hope the fencing bill isn't too bad. Will you go for more estimates or just accept this one if it looks reasonable? (I might have the same possible dilemma tomorrow when our guys come round.) Your 'glamour' photography anecdote reminds me of one of my own. I was running along a path by the siade of a very busy A road. I saw a body about 25 metres in front of me and at first thought it might be an RTA. But it was in fact a naked woman lying on the verge (the verge of what you may ask!) wearing nothing more than a rather saucy smile. Being a gentleman I kept going and didn't stare but, wondering if I might be hallucinating, I did look backwards after I'd gone past. I saw all the cars (doubtlessly driven by blokes) slowing down and realised that it was indeed what I'd first thought. Perhaps it was a dare?

HS, that woodcutting incident sounds very odd. Good luck with the IT hardware problem. We all need an Andy in our lives! I'm sure you'll be out training this weekend?

None for me today other than a 14 mile bike ride half of which was into a nasty wind. Rewarded with a coffee with 4 old pals, sitting on a patio looking out on a sparkling blue sea and golden sand (Littlehampton - nicknamed 'LA' around these parts with a large dash of irony!). Counting blessings time.......Not just Ukraine but more locally heard of the death of a really lovely chap who chaired a committee I sit on.  I couldn't really say that I knew him well, but he was one of those people who shares 'the journey' with you and made that journey just that bit better.

Parkrun tomorrow. Looking a tad windy, but we'll see.................
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    HS I hope Andy has now sorted out that printer problem. I must admit I’d be a bit shocked if I was woken through the night to find someone cutting up a tree, but I suppose the amount of clearing up required means they have to work around the clock. You certainly are a glutton for punishment, well done for that 10k run in the rain. If I ever reverse a run I find it feels quite strange, needing more concentration. I’m pleased to say we have no wind today, and no snow, but Steve reported black ice when he went for his run this morning. I know today will be your rest day, are you running tomorrow?

WtnMel You do seem to come across a number of scantily dressed women, don’t you, however I think JB’s encounter trumps any of yours! I’m glad to hear you managed a one mile walk without too much difficulty, but look after that Achilles. I hope you manage to get your fence repaired soon. You haven’t mentioned your U3A group lately, have you had any meetings recently? I suppose your walking group and golf have had to take a back seat at the moment until your foot recovers.
    JB I can’t believe a woman would be so stupid as to pull a stunt like that, as you say it was probably for a dare and no doubt her friends were somewhere nearby watching everyone’s reactions, but I still think it was a foolhardy thing to do and could have resulted badly, not least for the passing motorists if they crashed due to being distracted. We have been asked to make our best and final offer on that house by Monday, so we should know by the start of next week whether we have been successful or not. Our purchaser has been advised of the position so hopefully he’ll await the outcome too. I hope your 14 mile bike ride today hasn’t used up too much of your energy for tomorrow’s parkrun. I just know you are going to do well. (No pressure ;) ). I’m sorry to hear about the death of your acquaintance, especially coming so soon after the news of your friend’s neighbour. News like this is always unsettling, so it’s good to have our running “hobby” to keep us positive. 

Rest day today, although I did an hour’s yoga this morning followed by half an hour of strength work. I hope I won’t regret that tomorrow as I intend to try the new parkrun at Chopwell Woods. I’ve only been to those woods once before and found it rather muddy and undulating, but I think the parkrun course is in a different part of the woods. 
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Aqua, thanks for flagging the spammer. Hope the parkun went well. Always fun to try a new one (even if it is muddy), I think there's now well over 700 of them in the UK. What a fantastic collective achievement.

Well you were right: my own effort went well today. Typically we arrived on the prom to be 'greeted' by a nasty wind - but a cross wind so less of a problem perhaps. I did a fast first km of 4.06 and an even faster 5th km of 4.03 but the 3 in the middle weren't quite up to that standard and I ended up with 20:40 and an age grade of 82.66 - my best ever and the 2nd best of the day (360  or so runners). I think the brutal club sessions are bearing fruit.

MrsJB ducked under 35 which was good.

PS now for England to beat Wales to make it a really good day.......................
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    JB That really was a great result today, I'm not surprised you are happy with it. An excellent time and age grading. I knew if you joined a club your competitive nature in the training sessions would spur you on to improve. Well done to Mrs JB too. 
    (Fingers crossed for England!)
    My parkrun was more enjoyable than I'd expected, although a little muddy and rather hilly it was a good course and the weather was kind too, only a slight breeze and no rain or frost. This was only the 9th running of this parkrun, so participant numbers are still low (although actually most of the parkruns around here have small fields). The course was basically uphill for the first mile or so, then downhill for the second mile, then uphill for about half a mile then along the flat to the end. There were some speedy young runners, but there was also another woman in my age category and a man in the 70-74 category. The 70-74 man did really well, and was second in the age grade list with 24.19. The lady was somewhat slower, finishing about 13 minutes after me. I managed 32.17 with an age grade of 66.75, which considering the hills I was happy with. I was 8th overall in the age grading.
    I'd like to do this one again, but next week is XC and I think something else is happening the following weekend, so it may be a few weeks before I can get back and try to improve on that time,
  • I found this photo of this morning’s parkrun on Facebook. I’m the one in the orange headband.
  • Great picture Aquarius. I've also flagged the spammer now. 
    Hope to post tomorrow, but had a good run this morning with Sarah F and Mike.  5.82 miles in the forest, including 5k on the gravel course at tempo pace.
  • Aqua, thanks for flagging the spammer. That is a stunning picture! Good to see you leading the 'pack'. And a very good result on a tough (but lovely) course. Definitely one to return to for 2nd helpings.

My knee is complaining today so nothing for me today or tomorrow and then hope to recover for the Tuesday evening club session. So jumped on the rower today (the machine, not a person). Having taken some action on my teeth I'm now turning to my eyes - which are troubling me a bit - and getting a full service at Specsavers on Tuesday. (What was it Shakespeare said about 'the 7 ages of man'??)
  • JB You do have an exciting life don't you, first teeth and now eyes. You've reminded me I need to book my 6 monthly check up at the dentist, and in order to find my way to the surgery it may be a good idea to get my eyes tested too. I think I'm due a check up in a few months but I'm struggling now with my current specs, so that's another job to follow up on. 
    It's all go today at Aquarius towers. We will be calling at younger son's house at teatime to pass on his birthday present and card, and toast his birthday with a glass of wine. Eldest son (the one who is temporarily living with us) had a phone call this morning to advise the completion date on the house he bought last September will be this Friday, (he'd been told mid March) but we don't expect him to move out just yet because there are a few jobs to do before he can move into his new home. On the subject of moving house I have just now submitted our "best and final" offer on the house we are trying to buy, so should hopefully we will get some news about that shortly. 
    It's chilly and wet again today, I had a short 2-3 mile run out this morning (without Garmin) to see if the replacement laces I've put in my new Saucony shoes have made any difference as the original laces were rather short and when tied made the shoes uncomfortably tight. I think they feel a bit better, but I still prefer my usual Brooks trainers, which are what I will be wearing for our club 5k GP tomorrow night.

I hope your knee has settled down for your club session tomorrow JB, looking forward to hearing about the latest punishing session your coach has lined up  :p

HS Hope all is well and your absence is just down to being busy, likewise WtnMel (weren't you at the physio today?)
  • I'm ok Aquarius and thanks for asking. Finding it difficult to find the time for posting, but will try to update tomorrow. 
    I've got an appointment for my 2 yearly routine eye check up in a couple of weeks, and a Doctors appointment the same week. I've had a fungal infection between my little toe and the one next to it for quite some time. I've had two different athletes foot creams from the chemist, and the Dispenser advised that if the second treatment didn't work, then I would have to see the doctor. It doesn't effect my running, but does hurt at times. 
  • Glad to hear you are ok HS, it is difficult to find time to post sometimes. Quite a coincidence that we all (you too WtnMel?) need to have eye check ups at the moment. Sorry to see that your athletes foot problem is still lingering, I know from Steve's experience that it can be quite persistent. Hopefully the GP will be able to send it packing.
  • I just don't believe it. I had spent over an hour replying to your posts, and updating my runs, and the whole lot just disappeared. 

I'll just mention my runs now, as I haven't any more time. I ran, walked 6 miles on Sunday with Sarah H and Sally. Sally hasn't run with us for quite a long time, and unfortunately, just after 3 miles when we turned round to run back, she pulled a calf muscle and we walked the whole way back. Yesterday was an 8.52 miles forest run with the Monday Group.

I've got someone coming round tomorrow afternoon, to quote me for replacing the garage window which blew out during the heavy winds last week.
  • Hello .. I heard I was needed and I've kicked the spammer where it hurts ..
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Sorry I've not been around much lately (been 'tinkering' with my laptop after it slowed down dramatically).

JB - we (ie. Margaret) has been getting various estimates for the fence. The latest guy we saw was cheaper as he didn't think (like the last lot) that so many posts needed to be fixed or replaced. That naked lady does sound like a dare if there was no photographer present - you'd normally expect them to be flashing their boobs or mooning the traffic rather than doing a full monty. Well done re the bike ride with your pals followed by a coffee. Well done re the parkrun as well. Hope your knee recovers and settles down again. I must check when my next eye test is due (although I've not noticed any problems lately).

Aquarius - I think JB is definitely 'top trumps' when it comes to seeing naked ladies when out running. I shouldn't have walked a mile last week - should have done half a mile instead. Isobel the physio did say it's easy to think things are better and not take enough time getting back to normal. The golf and walking have taken a back seat as you thought - the u3a groups mostly tend to meet towards the start of each month, hence no mention of them lately. Fingers crossed for you re the house you are after. Thanks for posting the photo from the parkrun - does look like good terrain as long as it doesn't get muddy. Great photo btw. Fingers crossed all goes through okay re your eldest son's house move. 

HS - hope you manage to get that athletes foot treated (I use Mycil cream/spray/powder which normally sorts it out). Sorry to hear you lost an update you had spent ages preparing. Well done re your recent training - and sorry to hear about Sally pulling her calf muscle and meaning you had to walk back with her.

I went to see Isobel the physio again yesterday. The foot continues to improve - the underside of the foot is pretty much okay now .. it's just around the top and side of the big toe joint that is still sore. The redness and swelling are confined to that area now. A bit more manipulation and some more ultrasound treatment and I've been given a couple more slightly harder exercises to do. I'm seeing Isobel again next Monday - she suggested two week's time yesterday but I said I'd rather see her in a week and then see how things are then.

My 'tinkering' with the laptop has consisted of uninstalling several pieces of software I no longer need or use. But the other thing I have done is uninstalled Office 365 which is the latest (Office 2019?) versions. I still have Office 2010 on the laptop (the copy I installed when I was working at Atos - sshhhh). I think Office 365 is 'bloatware' and does far more than I need it to and takes up too much space and resources. But the other main thing I need to carry on doing is de-clutter the hard drive as I think (without knowing for sure) that there's a lot of files on the hard drive and external drives that needs to be removed. And I think the many files cause the laptop to slow down as it has to keep track of them all.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS You do seem to be having more than your fair share of IT problems lately. I think I’ve mentioned before that I draft my post as an email, so if I get interrupted I can just save the draft, also it’s easy to copy and paste from there into the forum page. Do you think the problem is with your computer or the RW site? Sorry to hear about Sally pulling a calf muscle, that must have been quite a disappointing set back for her on her return to running, and a rather chilly walk back for you all. 

WtnMel Glad to hear all is ok and you’ve just been busy decluttering your laptop (something I should tackle one day), and thanks for flagging that spammer. It sounds as if things are moving in the right direction as regards your foot, I suppose you just need to be patient and not rush the recovery. 

JB - how did your training session go last night?

I don’t know what I’ve done to upset St David, but yesterday was not a good day. It started when I couldn’t get into my Zoom Pilates class on time due to the email containing the link not arriving, and having to be resent. Then Steve had a problem with his computer, shortly after which we got a phone call to tell us that we weren’t successful with our offer for that house. That evening when I was getting my kit on for my 5k I managed to break the zip on my top. On our way to the run Steve got a warning message about his tyre pressures, but as we’d intended to call in at a supermarket for a couple of items we needed we decided to check the tyres there and put in more air if needed. When we’ve used this particular air machine in the past it’s been free, but last night we found you now need to pay, and we didn’t have any change. However as we needed some shopping we thought we’d get change then, but in keeping with the rest of the day we found the items we wanted were out of stock, so we left, forgetting we’d intended to get the correct change for the air machine. When we remembered (back in the car) we realised we hadn’t time to go back in as I was due at the 5k. By now I was fully expecting to fall over and break my leg if the 5k went the same way as the rest of the day.
    However the run was the best part of the day. Although cold there was no wind and what a pleasant change that was. Whether it was the lack of wind or something else I managed to knock almost 1.5 minutes off my time from last month’s run. I felt more comfortable than I had the last couple of times doing this GP and managed to get into a good rhythm and keep the pace up right to the end. From the feedback I’ve heard so far I think other runners also ran better, so perhaps it was the weather that made the difference. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - re your advice to HS, I would definitely blame the RW site as I just don't trust their claim to save a draft regularly. Like you, I stick to a more trusted method. Things are definitely getting better with my foot - just some slight swelling now which means although I still can't get my leather shoes on, the trainers are feeling less tight. Oh dear re your list of woes yesterday with zoom problems, Steve's computer problems, hearing you weren't successful re that house, breaking a zip on your top and then needing/forgetting the change to inflate the tyres. I'm definitely 'old school' as I still inflate mine up with a manual pump I keep in the boot of my car (and it gives me a bit of exercise at the same time). For the same reason, I still wash my car by hand too. Anyway, I'm relieved for you that you didn't face plant when out for a run after that run of bad luck.

Glad to say whatever I've done so far seems to mean the laptop is working a bit faster - plenty left to have a look at though!

Margaret has decided on which guy to get round to have a go at the fence. He comes recommended by our neighbours who are long-time locals and seem to know who to call on for various things that need doing. Just hope this guy lives up to his billing!

Off to the doctors this afternoon to give a blood sample. This was after my phone call to the surgery about the left foot swelling when I told them I didn't want to waste the GP's time as I was getting treatment from the physio. It will be good to get a blood test in case there's any 'nasties' lurking I'm not aware of. Although I'm almost walking normally again and am finally able to put weight on my foot again, I shall drive to the surgery as it's just a bit further than I want to walk yet. And I can hear my physio Isobel whispering in my ear and telling me not to get carried away and think I can do too much, too soon :)
  • Just popped in to say that I hope to post later, but I'm expecting a rep this afternoon to quote for a new garage window 🪟 to replace the one that was blown out by the gale force winds. 
    I agree with Mel, and RW has never been the same since it was taken over by the USA. I remember having to reinstate the thread as the "New Mature Runner's " as the original was deleted and the contents not archived. There was a mass exodus to fetch, and most haven't returned. It is a far superior platform from RW.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

The window rep has been and gone, so hopefully I will be able to post without it disappearing. Following on from my comments above, I've had a lookback at the start of this new thread in 2017. There was just Double Bionic Iron Wolf, Aquarius, WtnMel and myself. Columba joined soon after. We were all complaining and Aquarius was busy packing for a house move! Ironically, I was complaining about the "draft saved bar" keeping popping up!
    I'm not going through all your posts again, but will try and keep on top of things in future.

Aquarius, sorry to hear that your offer for the house wasn't accepted. I suppose that sends you back to square 1 again.

WtnMel, good to hear that your foot is getting better. 

I also inflate my tyres with a foot pump, which I keep in the boot, just in case. I hope the fencing guy turns up and proves to be satisfactory.

Good luck with the blood sample.

I think I have advised in an earlier post that I have appointments with the Dr and Optician.

JB, I have read your posts, over the page, and you and Mrs JB are running really well. I'm sure that joining a running club is paying dividends.

It rained heavily all yesterday afternoon and through the night, but eased up a bit this morning. We had intended doing hill reps in the forest, but knowing how muddy it would be, we decided to do the session on a steep, local hill. The one actually, that we usually run up on the way to our forest sessions. It comprised 5 reps with jog down recoveries.

• I've missed quite a few posts so please forgive me if I miss picking up on some of your points. My computer is SO slow these days. I think it's destined for the computer equivalent of the knackers' yard! It definitely needs updating and servicing, but so do I.

I hope everyone's appointments (opticians. blood tests) go as well as mine. I was really nervous as I'm a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to eyes, but the optician, who looked about 18, but was very good gave ma very thorough going over, including a very high tech bit of kit which you pay an extra tenner for, and said that everything was fine other than a 'bit of wear and tear' which is just code for saying that I am getting old.
    Anyway, 400 quid later I had a new pair of specs on order and a' free' spare pair. 

On the downside, the knee is still playing up a bit more than usual. Been on the rower a few times and tried a short 1 mile run en route to coffee today. Not good - will rest for a bit. Might ask Mel is we can get a 'buy one get one free' with Isobel.

Mel, good to get recommendations from neighbours (unless they don't like you!). Our fence guy came bang on time (which of course he should, but it seems unusual) and had about 10 other appointments for estimates that day. He'll get the job - but it might be 2026 before he can turn up!

HS, I remember some of those names from a few years back.  Columba I recall lived out in the sticks in (very) rural Wales. Perhaps it's best not to enquire as to what happened to all these folk. 

• JB, Double Bionic Ironwolf was British but lived in Germany. She trained her dogs and often posted pictures on here. Unfortunately, when the USA took over, she had problems posting and eventually gave up. Columba went over to fetch, but I haven't seen her post there for ages. Red Head was one of the originals on the first version and had a blog which I think was called Intense Knitting, or something knitting. She did post a one off on here again at least a year ago, but probably more. 
  • HS, you've jogged my memory: I now remember all of them.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - re the 'original' posters on this thread, I'm still in contact with Columba via Fetch and she still walks/runs regularly. We 'follow' each other and comment on any recent training (though I did have to warn her there wouldn't be any from me until my foot was better!) I've not heard or seen of Double Bionic Ironwolf for many years. But Redhead is an friend on Facebook (which I confess I don't use as much these days as in the past) and her blog (Extreme Knitting Redhead) is something she still updates occasionally. Giving my blood sample all worked fine - I lurked outside until the nurse called me in and the sample was taken and I was back outside within 5 mins. Good idea to change your training session on account of the wet weather.

JB - I know my Dell laptop is a bit slow these days and I'm sure if I got myself a new one, it would appear to be running at warp speed. But the recent 'tinkering' proves the current one is fine for now and as long as I don't try and run too many things at once, it copes admirably. I don't have your problem with appointments - while the nurse was poking the needle to get my blood sample I merely remarked it was no worse than when I used to be a blood donor. I like your concept of paying £400 for a 'free' pair of spare glasses :) Our neighbours are useful to know and keep on the side of as being long-time residents, they seem to know everyone. And they do rent a field at a farm and keep cattle - so he has a trailer (very useful to know!).

Off to the U3A Science & Technology group this afternoon when we have a speaker who used to work for the European Space Agency giving us a talk on Dark Matter. Hope it proves as interesting as it sounds ..

Still no joy finding anyone who claims to repair my make of treadmill or getting anyone to give me a quote for the new running belt for it. I think it's so old, no-one is interested. Once my foot is completely better and I can get about properly I'm going to advertise it on Freecycle for spare parts - and if there's no response, I'll just break it down into bits and take it to the local recycling centre.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel I see you have had your blood test now, presumably they are also checking for arthritis? After a lingering injury about 10 years ago I was tested for arthritis and rheumatism, but at the time I tested negative for both. These days I find my hands (thumbs in particular) often ache and look a bit swollen, also I struggle sometimes to get the lids off unopened jars, so I wouldn’t be surprised to find I have arthritis starting now. My feet ache a bit too, which from a running point of view is more worrying. My mum and maternal grandfather both had rheumatoid arthritis which severely affected their hands. I don’t know if it’s hereditary but I’m keeping fingers crossed (pardon the pun) it isn’t. Good to have sorted out a fence repairer, I hope he lives up to his billing. I like the sound of your U3A meeting, and looking forward to hearing how it went.
    JB On the subject of expensive glasses (well, in my book £400 is expensive) a couple of years ago I paid a little over £400 for a pair of varifocals plus a pair of reading glasses, which I’ve never been able to wear for very long as they dig in to my nose and ears after half an hour or so. The optician I’d been going to for most of my adult life had recently retired and sold the business to another optician. My “old” optician had always taken a lot of time to find a suitable pair of frames for me whenever I needed new glasses, but the new people were happy to sell me anything. I’ve been back twice to them to get both pairs adjusted, but it really hasn’t made much difference. I was rather cross when, after the second adjustment, I was told in so many words that it was my fault for choosing the wrong styles for my face. I felt like telling them the previous optician would never have let that happen, but decided I’d just be wasting my breath. I won’t be booking in with them again if I can help it, I believe there is another optician still working there who was part of the old practice so I’ll try to get to see him.
    Sorry to read that your knee is still not right, you are wise to rest it, presumably you’ll give training a miss tonight? 
    HS I remember Columba, Double bionic Ironwolf, and Redhead, it’s a pity they no longer post on here. I do remember though that DBI had problems trying to post from Germany when this new thread was set up. In fact when you think about it a number of people have paid us fleeting visits and never come back. I wonder if it was something we said……? :D
    Good idea to swap your training route for a mud free one. This weather really is a pain, it’s been raining non-stop here for two days, and we’re due for more over the next couple of days.

I did some yoga and strength work yesterday, and found my legs were a bit sore this morning for my 6 mile run. I’ve been feeling a bit tight in the legs the last few days (too much running and not enough stretching I expect) so I hoped a spot of yoga would help, but yoga is something else I’ve been neglecting lately so yesterday’s session left my legs complaining somewhat today. I’ll rest now (apart from some stretching) until Saturday when our last XC fixture takes place up at Alnwick on the Duke of Northumberland’s estate. I’ve enjoyed this course in the past, although it’s three years now since I last did it, the only thing I remember is a long hill at one point then a section through woods then a sharp downhill. In view of the rain lately (and more forecast for Saturday) I expect it will be something of a mudfest. Must remember to take a change of clothes and shoes for after the race.

I was checking the results of the 5k I did on Tuesday night, and saw that I finished in 11th position. Also, thanks to the handicapping system used, I am listed as 4th fastest woman (which I’m not in reality, obviously) and I'm 5th in the overall athletes standing. All this despite the fact I was the slowest runner on my team (although also the oldest by far). Like parkrun’s WAVA system this series of club GP runs provides a level playing field for all participants and I love that fact. I just wish all races took age into account.
  • Aquarius, that XC fixture location sounds very posh. We've got the Duke of Norfolk's estate just up the road - which is actually in Arundel which is pretty far from Norfolk. Talking of races well done for your 4th position, and let's all sing our praises to the person who invented the WAVA formula. (I wouldn't have said that when I was 30!)

I agree with you that it's better to have a long term optician (and dentist come to that, yet alone GP) but I think these days hardly anyone seems to stay in the same place or organisation for much more that 10 minutes. I had the same 'family doctor' for many tears but now it's a different one every time.

You are right: no training nights for me but the good news is that the knee fells a lot better and (of course) I'll test it on Saturday. I've been doing a bit of rowing (intervals) and have cut my resting times between kms down from 60 to 30 seconds with no loss of performance. It is so horrible that it must be good training. BTW, me being me, I looked up my 2k time on the rankings. I'm a '60-69 lightweight male' and I'm 239th in the world for 2022! That sounds pretty good until you see that there are only 343 of us competing. 'It's just not my bag' as we'd say in the 60s. (And I think some of my rivals might just fib about their weight too!) 

Best of luck in your event this weekend. Don't envy you the mudfest.

Mel, yes I was a bit disappointed in the cost of the glasses and come to that the estimate for our fence. But MrsJB will tell you that I'm out of touch with prices generally. I know we are due for more inflation but please not the 25% of the 1970s!

Blimey: dark matter is a bit like 'string theory' and the new offside rule in football: I'll just never grasp them. Good luck with that. Can you give us a 200 word summary please (joke)?

Sad to see a treadmill ending its days in this way but I reckon you've done your best to keep it going. I'm surprised at how cheap they seem  to be 2nd hand. Less surprisingly they are almost always 'buyer collects' - they must weight a ton.

I'm going to wacth The Apprentice tonight. Yes I know it's shallow, formulaic and about as much near to real business as I am to selection for the GB's Olympic rowing team, but it exerts a horrible fascination - especially sine one of my students came 2nd in it a while back.  (And. yes, she wasn't a very good student.)