New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Mel, crikey you've been in a social whirl lately! 
    That card game sounds odd. And watch out for those ladies in your reading group: you might not get out alive. Bad luck on your golf game, but there were some good bits. As for the trousers, how frustrating. I've always found M&S stuff fits pretty well, not that I bother much these days to update my wardrobe.

Broadwater parkrun today, about 35 miles from home. Really lovely drive there, beautiful countryside and almost no traffic.
    The run was a bit disappointing at 22.23. But it's a tricky, if scenic, course with twists and turns and a pretty uneven terrain. My time got me 14th in a field of 151, a category win and the 2nd best WAVA of the day, behind a very good VW65.
    Had a nice wander around Godalming which look like a charming (if expensive to live in) little town. Light traffic on the way home too.
    This afternoon I'm off to see my local footie team that I've been following for 60 years! They are already promoted and next season will be playing in the highest league of their history. So today's match will be a celebration.
    Hope the players aren't hungover!

• Good morning everyone, and Happy Easter😀

Its done it again, I was on my last sentence and the whole lot vanished. I think this laptop must be haunted.
    I've read all your posts, but I'm not going to rewrite mine again.

I did a solo 5 x 800 metres with 1.30 recoveries yesterday on the gravel track in the forest. I felt a twinge in my right knee, near the end of the first effort, so I ran the second more cautiously. It seemed ok, so I upped the pace for the last 3. I'm not running today as a precaution.

• I'm attaching a screenshot of the session. 

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all and happy Easter.

Firstly apologies for not responding to earlier posts when I popped on a few days ago to mention about Covid. 

WtnMel You must have a very thoughtful family to have received such a nice selection of presents for your birthday. What a shame about your golf match with Alan, but the fact you were gaining shots at one point must have encouraged you, better luck next time. Sorry to hear that your foot has been sore again, hopefully it’s just a matter of taking your time to build up your walking again to where you were before. Sounds like fun and games at the book club meeting, but what a spoilsport you are, ;)  at least the social cards group was better behaved. Re M&S clothing, I think they change their suppliers from time to time, and both fit and quality can suffer as a result. If you’ve been busy in the garden this weekend as you planned I hope you haven’t overdone it, we’ve got quite enough illness and injuries on here at present.

JB I see you are keeping busy with work on your allotment, as well as running (well done for your sub 4 min km) and walking on the Downs. Although you sound a little disappointed with your parkrun yesterday that’s still a very good time for a twisty uneven course, particularly one that you haven’t done before (regulars will be clued up with pacing themselves on a familiar course). Did Mrs JB join you? I hope you enjoyed the football match yesterday, and that your side won. 

HS Oh no, you really are jinxed at the moment with your posts. Well done for your 800m reps yesterday, I hope the twinge in your knee clears up soon, good idea to rest today.

No running here, and I’m very bored, but not as fed up as Steve. Poor Steve has been having a rough time, as well as Covid he’s now developed an abscess. He’s been having toothache from a filling he had done a few months ago. It’s been getting worse lately so he got an emergency dental appointment a few days ago (just before testing positive for Covid), and it seems that when the tooth was filled some months ago the filling was right up against the sinus cavity and pressing on a nerve. He’s had pain on and off for a while, but just thought it would settle down in time. A couple of days ago his face swelled up like a balloon and after lengthy calls to 111 yesterday morning, (needless to say no one else was available as it is a bank holiday weekend) and after talking to various people, we were sent to Durham hospital to pick up a prescription for antibiotics. I then had to find a chemist that was open to get the medication. We didn’t get home until after 8 pm at night.  :|
  • HS, hope the knee behaves itself. You are indeed having a frustrating time trying to post. I'm now using my phone for this purpose which is a lot quicker than having to crank up my elderly laptop.

Aquarius, oh what a rotten way to spend your Easter. Poor Steve has my sympathy as there are few things more miserable than a toothache. Best of luck for a successful intervention.

Mrs JB did run the same course as me and found it as tricky as me.
    My football team won 5 nil.
    No run today but a long session in a park with my 3 grandchildren was just as tiring. No A&E transpired this time.

When one of my sons got home he found a young adder in his garden!
  • I'm using my phone more on this thread now as they don't disappear. This is the only thread that "plays up" on the laptop, so it must have it "in for me!" I spent over an hour this morning responding to the earlier posts and adding my own, to no avail 😠🤬
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - the 2nd week of the month is always a bit busy socially as there are several u3a groups that meet. I agree - that card game was a bit odd - but as mentioned, it was good fun. I don't bother upgrading my wardrobe very often either but have been having a bit of a de-clutter/refresh lately. Shame the Broadwater PR result wasn't what you had hoped. An enjoyable footie match in prospect I see with promotion guaranteed (have read on further and seen they won 5-0). Glad to hear there were no injuries this time when seeing your grandkids ;)

HS - oh dear, more problems with posts disappearing I see :( Well done re that intervals session and hope the twinge in the knee doesn't amount to anything.

Aquarius - after losing at golf, no doubt caused by lack of practise, I am going to investigate again the senior's section at my local club as playing more regularly ought to improve things. Re book club, two ladies missed it as they weren't well and seeing cryptic messages about it, were keen to find out what had gone on. I've found before that the M&S sizing can be a bit hit & miss so I'll pop back on Tue and try on the next size up. Sorry to hear Steve has developed an abscess as well as having covid - he's really not having a good time is he. And boo to the resulting late night after having to go to the hospital.

My foot is still a bit sore after the ramble/golf/lawn-mowing so I've been bare-footed all day to avoid any more pressure on it. My pet theory is still it's the golf shoes causing the problems as I've been able to wear my walking boots for years without any problems. I shall have to have another look online before heading to American Golf (planning/hoping I can go on Tue).

A quiet day today - I cooked us a Sunday roast (lamb naturally) and having cleared up afterwards and then had a cup of tea and a leisurely read of my book, I now find it's 5pm. Where has the day gone!
  • Had a lazy day planned but then decided to see if I could run 3 miles in a decent time (sub 20). No way. Managed 20.28 and happy with that 

Mel, hope that foot isn't giving you too much grief.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, thanks, the twinge doesn't seem to be much of a problem, and a rest day yesterday was certainly beneficial. I ran this morning, and details are below.

I'm sorry to hear that Steve is having such an awful time. That abscess sounds really painful, and these things always seem to crop up at weekends or Bank Holidays, when services are almost non existent. 

JB, the knee seems to be behaving itself, and as I mentioned above, taking a rest day yesterday, has been beneficial.

Good to hear that your local footie team had such a convincing win. That session in the park with your 3 Grandchildren must have been very tiring.

That must have been a bit scary for your son, finding a young adder in the garden. Was he able to pick it up and let it loose?

3 miles in 20.28 is an excellent time!

WtnMel, I'm another male that doesn't upgrade his wardrobe very often. I'm lucky in that my daughter and sister always buy me tops for my birthday and Christmas. I think that they believe they have better dress sense than me.😁

Thanks, as I've mentioned above, the twinge in the knee doesn't seem to be a problem.

Sorry to hear that your foot is still a bit sore, and that you attribute it to be your golf shoes.

The days and months seem to simply fly by these days. I still believe that the older we are, the quicker the time goes.

This morning was a tough multi terrain run with the Monday Group. It comprised the two Sarah's, Andy and myself. This was the first Monday that Andy had been able to run with us, since he started back at work full time again. We ran 7.65 and it was a mixture of walking and running. It wasn't intentional Jeff Gallowaying, but necessary to walk through the ploughed fields, water, and dry but rutted and potholed mud trails. I'm now holding my breath and pressing "post comment."
  • HS it worked! That must be a relief.
    That sounds like challenging terrain to run on. If the knee coped with that then it must be on the mend.
    As for the Adder, the advice is to leave them alone as if they find their way into your garden they'll also find their way out again.

Thinking about doing a club session tonight  I've not done one for 5 weeks since the hamstring 'went'
    during one.

We've got my son's dog to look after for a few days while they escape to Seville. Lots of walking, then.

• It was a close thing JB, as just before I pressed the send button, the whole text area turned blue 🙃.  I clicked to the side and thankfully it returned to the normal white background, and I successfully sent my post. 
    If you do attend the club session this evening, don't "over do it."
    Good luck with the dog 🐕 🚶‍♂️walking. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - well done re the 3ml run. The left foot seems to have settled down again. Hope the planned club run goes okay.

HS - I'm sure your sister and daughter think they have better dress sense than you - but seriously, what's wrong with a string vest and knotted handkerchief on your head? ;) Well done re your multi-terrain run with the Monday group. Glad to see your post you were worried about arrived safely on the forum - the text turning blue would probably been due to you doing a 'select all' (ctrl-a) whether by accident or design.

I had a successful(ish) trip into town this morning. I went to American Golf and found some trainer-type golf shoes I liked that seemed more flexible than my current ones. Unfortunately, they didn't have the size that I wanted. They'll order them in for me to try on and if they aren't right they can return them. This will be less hassle and quicker than me ordering them online and having to then return them. I should get a text in a day or two when they've arrived in store. I had more success with the bank and M&S. The queue was not too bad at LLoyds. And I was able to find two pairs of trousers to replace the ones I got that were too small. I tried the new ones on and thought they fitted okay. But Margaret will no doubt want a fashion show and will give her final verdict as to whether they're okay or not :)

Right - enough computer-ing. As I'm out golfing tomorrow I'm heading into the garden to cut the hedge and earn some brownie points in my favour to spend against being on the golf course for 4 hours tomorrow :)

I heard Carol Kirkwood telling a rude anecdote on BBC Breakfast this morning. She was meeting some of the Sandringham WI ladies (it was to do with the platinum jubilee) and was telling them of an occasion years ago when weather presenters had to use stick-on symbols on weather maps. Apparently, there was fog forecast and the presenter noticed the F had slipped down the map so apologised for the F in fog :)  

• Mel, like many male viewers of my age (I suspect), I am something of a fan of Carol K. 4 hours on the golf course must burn a lot of calories. Good luck with your game. We are all Team Mel here!

HS, it's lovely having the dig around and yesterday MrsJB put in 20k of steps walking her. But I did hear a cautionary story from a pal  yesterday. His daughter has got one of these huge dogs and the poor creature somehow damaged one of his tendons. The vet's bill was £7k, and my mate picked up the tab. Wow.

Well, my club night was going well. I was given my club vest which is a first for me after 40 odd years of serious running. Also the workout of 6x3 minutes fast with jogs of 90 seconds in between was going well until.......

Slight hammy tweak the 6th rep. Not too bad but something I could do without.

BTW a male Scottish 65+ runner has just broken the world record and got under 35 mins. Blimey!

WtnMel, Oh yes, I remember the string vests and hankies on the head. Do you remember when Ron Hill "invented" string vests for running? They were very popular for a while. 

I hope that when the golf shoes arrive they are suitable. Fingers crossed that Margaret gives the ok to your new trousers🤞 I presume that they aren't flairs🤣

Good luck with the gardening, and hope todays golf goes well.

I saw Carol Kirkwood doing that interview and mentioning the F dropping off Fog. I remember when it happened all those years ago. It was Michael Fish doing the Weather Forecast. I remember a song back in those days "John Kettley was a weather man, and so was Michael Fish and Wincey Willis" It was quite catchy.

JB, I think we are all admirers of CK. 

I think you meant having a dog around was lovely.

That's good, attaining a club vest after all those years. Sorry to hear that you incurred a slight hammy tweak on the last rep, and hope it doesn't cause any problems. I presume that world record by a 65 year old was for the 10k? I expect he was wearing the latest "magic shoes" I got an email from Sweatshop yesterday advertising the Nike model  Air Flyes and  they were £270.

A lovely sunny morning today, and I did an interval session on grass with Mike. It comprised 5 x 100 and 200 metres with 30 second recoveries, and 4 x 400 metres with 60 second recoveries. 

I've got an appointment tomorrow morning with the nurse for my toe. My previous appointment was cancelled because she had Covid. It seems to be much better, so hopefully that will be the final appointment.

I was twiddling the tuner on my DAB radio after doing a scan, and came across BBC Radio 6 Music. It's quite good, and plays a variety of music. The News on the hour and half hour is also very good.
  • HS, yes dig = dog.
    I think prices of the fancy dan running shoes are dropping and might even be around the £100 mark.
    Generally running must be one of the cheapest sporting hobbies around, althoughthe cost of entering most events has gone a bit crazy.
    I'm a Radio 4, 5 and LBC fan. Ever since we bought a smart TV I also watch a load of sporty stuff on You Tube. 
    Hamstring still problematic. That's twice it's gone on club nights. A pattern is emerging!
    Did some nasty pull ups, dips and press ups with the weighted vest yesterday. Might go on the rower today.....as well as a long walk with the 'dig'.
  • Good morning everyone, 

JB, I remember a common saying in my youth, "Dig it Dad!" Very with it at the time!

I agree that entry fees for races are a bit over the top nowadays. That could be one reason why parkruns are so popular, being free. 

Sorry to hear that your hamstring is still causing problems. Perhaps you are putting too much effort into the club session. I did the same soon after joining my present club, by trying to keep up with "the fast group!"

I dig walking the dog 🐕 😎 

It's a lovely sunny morning, typical when I'm not running. It won't do any harm though, after yesterday's tough interval session. 
  • I think I have lost my "sensible hat 👒."  I'm going to the clubs track session on the grass running track this evening with Sarah F. The session will be 5 x 3 minutes. I will have to ensure that I don't push too hard, because it was on that very track in June 2017 that I tore my menisci. 
  • HS, hope the track session went well and that history didn't repeat itself. If I recall, it was that injury that out you out of action for a while.
    Still thinking of a parkrun attempt tomorrow. Will give myself a fitness test before doing so.
    Weather not quite so glorious here.
    We take the dog back today and will miss her!
  • JB, thanks it went well, I'll do a write up this afternoon. I'll try and upload a photo of Sarah F and me running side by side. It's not very clear as the sun was low. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Carol K exactly .. but I do remember the 'fuss' in some quarters (well, The Mail anyway) when pictures of her in a bikini emerged. Glad to hear the club night went well. But sorry to hear about the hamstring tweak.

HS - I do remember the Ron Hill style-ee string vests. I've not had time to let Margaret see the new trousers yet - not flares but they are a straight cut and slightly 'slim' if anything which makes me want her to cast her eyes on them. I also remember the "John Kettley" song. Well done re the interval session and glad to hear the foot is much better. Must admit - I've never searched out 6 Music but I've heard good reports. Dig vs. dog .. is JB Officer Crabtree in disguise? (Allo Allo). Careful at that club session and don't overdo it.

I was very busy yesterday afternoon finishing off my treasurer's reports for Sunday's AGM. I had to 'massage' the layout and the notes to get it to fit on 2 sides of A4 so that I don't waste too much paper and ink when I print out 25 copies.

I only managed to cut the laurel hedge at the end of the garden before the garden waste bin was full so I'll have continue with the other bits of hedge next week.

I've had a text to let me know my new golf trainers have arrived so I'll try and get to AG after lunch to try them on and see if they fit okay.

Golf went better this week and I 'almost' beat Alan under the new 'rules' of 'total victory' he seems to have implemented! :) I was two shots adrift of him after 18 holes and beat him by stableford points. We had 9 holes where we scored the same and he beat my by 5 holes to 4. All in all a good round with 2 pars and 8 bogies (par+1) and needless to say Alan was chuckling afterwards and saying how maybe my handicap needs to be lowered ;)

JB, that's right, it was on that very track, 5 years ago, that I tore the menisci in my right knee. It was hard to believe how quickly those years had passed.

Good luck with tomorrows parkrun.

WtnMel, I used to like watching Allo, Allo. "I vill say this only vunce."

Well done for finishing off the Treasurer's Report for Sunday's AGM, and cutting the laurel hedge.

I hope your new golf trainers fitted ok ,and that you were pleased with them. 

Good to hear that your golf went better, but I'm afraid that I don't understand the jargon, as I've never been a follower of golf.

The club grass track session went really well, but I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive at first, being that it was on that very track that I incurred my injury 5 years ago. The session started with a few drills, and 3 jogs round the track to warm up. We then set off for 5 x 3 minutes hard, with 90 seconds walk recoveries. I ran all the laps with Sarah F, and we were challenging each other. The 5th effort was the quickest, and we managed to overtake some runners, that had overtaken us, in earlier efforts. I wasn't too happy with the track at first, as it was a bit uneven and very hard underfoot. I was thinking that the jarring might affect my knee, but I soon adapted. Sounds like The Borg, "you will be assimilated!"
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Sorry for not posting for a while. After 4 or 5 negative tests over the last week or so I eventually tested positive for Covid on Wednesday. Steve is still positive (10 days now) but that may be due to his body fighting off his tooth infection at the same time as dealing with Covid. I hope I'm clear of it sooner than that. Apologies for not responding to your posts, I'll catch up in a few days.
  • Mel, well done for your golf exploits. Maybe the new trainers will improve your game just enough to prevail.

HS, really lovely photo. Good track session.

Aqua, you and Steve are really under the cosh right now. Hope things look up for you soon.

Silly bugger here tried the parkrun although not flat out. Hamstring went after 1k  meaning I had to walk back as 300 runners filed past me.
    Not good. Will be out for 2 weeks min. My own fault.

A woman won the parkrun today. First time ever on our course and a course record. No man was within 250 metres of her! Brilliant run.

I might be a bit quiet in the next couple of weeks while I lick my wounds. Not easy to do this with a hamstring!! 

Aquarius, I'm very sorry to hear that you now have Covid too. You and Steve are really suffering now, which is ironic, as you both seem to have been getting fitter and faster. Hope you are both clear very soon!

JB, glad you liked the photo, it's a shame the sun spoilt it as you can't see Sarah very well. 

Sorry to hear that your hamstring "went" after 1k in the parkrun. It's awful having to stop and walk back whilst the others were still running. It happened to me a few years ago at the local parkrun, when I was a regular. I wasn't injured at all, but after lap 1, of 4, I just ran out of steam, and was reduced to a slow jog. I decided to pack it in, as runners who I always finished ahead of were asking me if I was ok. I've no idea why it happened, but I suppose it was just one of those things 😕

Amazing that a woman finished first in your parkrun, and a course record to boot. I hope the hamstring soon behaves, but don't test it too soon. 

This morning, I did another track session, this time on the 800 metre gravel track in the forest. I ran with Mike, and we did 5 x 800 metres with 90 seconds recoveries. Each lap was quicker than the previous one, which is what we had intended. 
    I'm attaching the stats of the session. 
  • HS, nice workout and thanks for the kind words.

I jumped on my bike today and did a hill that I find quite testing. I then and, on a whim, ran back down it and up again.
     It wasn't the most clever thing to do but I was testing a hypothesis. My hamstrings have always tweaked when I'm running fast on flat surfaces, almost  as if I'm over stretching them. But running slowly on hills I have a tiny stride pattern.
    And I got away with it. The hill is 17% in places so there was no way I was going to run fast up it!

• Thanks JB, it was a tough session, but worked out just as we had planned, each lap quicker than the one before. 
    That's odd, running up hills as a cure for sore hamstrings. 17% sure is a steep hill. 

This morning my legs were really heavy, after Thursday and yesterday's track work. I ran a very steady road 10k with Sarah H. We got caught up with the triathlon which was on at the same time. Last year, I was running solo, and joined in for the last mile. No way was I tempted this year,  although the opportunity didn't arise, as they were running in the opposite direction. 
  • HS, funnily enough I once inadvertently joined in the running leg of a triathlon. As I was as fresh as a daisy and the runners were at the back of the field I ended up breezing past them and getting some dirty looks in the process. Can't blame them!
  • Very frustrating for them 😕 

A rather tough 7.3 miles multi terrain run this morning with the Monday Group. It was warm and sunny, and the mud had hardened, making the terrain quite tricky.  We had to walk in places where the ground was potholed and rutted. We didn't see any other runners, or dog walkers. 
  • HS, I wouldn't fancy running on rutted ground. Well done for doing so.

When  I'm injured I tend to do rather nutty things. It's a kind of over compensation. So yesterday I had a go at a well known crossfit routine: 300 squats, 200 press ups and 100 pull ups. This took me 20 mins 41 seconds which funnily enough is just about the same as my 5k season's best.

It cheered me up anyway!