New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• I'm doing a track session this evening with the Club. It will be pyramids. 
  • HS, Good luck with your track session. Just as a matter of interest which track do you use?

Encouraged Mrs JB to do a bike ride today. All was going well with a very strong wind behind us along the prom. And then we turned and she struggled, which was not surprising seeing that this was her first bike ride for a year and this on a not great machine. Anyway 22km, 11 of which were 'uncomfortable'.
  • Thanks John, it's a grass track in the grounds of the Academy in nearby Holbury. It's the self same track where I tore my menisci in June 2017.
    Well done for Mrs JB on her first bike ride for a year. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - luckily I wasn't walking on Cleeve Hill itself .. just the 'foothills' of Bishops Cleeve and lower reaches of a lane leading up towards the road that goes beneath Cleeve Hill. I could do a walk from Bishops Cleeve up to the trig point of Cleeve Hill - but it's a brute. I did it when I was training for the coast to coast back in 2014. For comparison, my direct debit for energy has just increased from £91 to £203. I do keep a close eye on my usage and it's down to more expensive fuel rather than increased usage. Shame about the new hrm which you've donated to Mrs JB. Well done re the latest run. Shame about the wind for you and Mrs JB's bike ride.

Aquarius - I know you can't be tempted to do the skinny-dip but I wondered if you could put the word around to your running club ladies as a 'challenge' they could consider. It's the 10th anniversary dip this year and Jax the organiser wants to beat last year's 830 dippers and break the 1000 barrier. Tell them it's for 'charidee' (MIND) and they'll be raising money for a good cause while having a laugh and a giggle. Well done re the pilates and hope the physio trip wasn't too painful. Shame you're still having problems with your Garmin :(

HS - sorry to hear you've lost another post. I'm confused by that Maffetone formula but to be honest, even if I was still running I wouldn't bother as the resulting max hr doesn't sound right (it would be 110 for me). Hope the pyramids track session goes well this evening.

I've had some more declined transactions with my Sainsbury's credit card. I've sent them a message asking why they're being declined but am still waiting for a reply (can't be bothered to phone - have better things to do than sit on hold for ages). The response has been rubbish so far. One auto-reply quoted a different card number to mine which doesn't sound promising. I sent a further message pointing that out and asking if my account has been hacked or something similar. I said if I didn't get a satisfactory response I'd be looking elsewhere. My bank (Natwest) also do a Mastercard credit card so I could easily swap over to that - I've already checked and apparently, I'd be 95% likely to have my application approved. 

I went swimming this morning - it was reasonably quiet and I managed 40 lengths (1000 mtrs) in 35:23 - not my fastest but better than my average.

And I've just got back from the social cards group - good fun and a nice sociable group to spend a couple of hours with.

Golf tomorrow - I shall report back on whether I can continue to play better and beat Alan again.
  • HS, I hope you walked away from the track injury free this time.

Mel, thanks for the info on your heating bill. That new DD sounds as steep as Cleeve hill, but it's not far
     off what we were expecting TBH.
    We 'did an HS' and walked to the supermarket today (farmer's walk  exercise and saved petrol and pollution). It's not much more than a mile but laden with cartons of oat milk made it feel further.
    Well done on your swim. I recall when I used to swim I'd be starving afterwards. You?
    Good luck for your big golf game.....

In addition to our walk I cycled up another local hill. Not as steep as the swine of a gradient I ran up the other day, but still a bit of a sweat.
    I spotted another cyclist in front of me and that was an incentive to go for it and overtake him before reaching the top. He was probably young enough to be my grandson.

Tomorrow we should be parkrunning and hoping the wind will not be as fierce as of late.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS How frustrating to lose another post like that, I wonder why it keeps happening? I see you had a club track session last night, how did it go? 

JB Poor Mrs JB having to cycle into that wind. I seem to remember you saying you know how to treat a lady. Energy bills - our dd is £115 a month, but that was set when our son and granddaughter were staying with us. It hasn’t increased for a year now, but it seems to be slowly levelling out now it’s just back to the two of us. It’s probably not a good example as a comparison with the rest of you as a) our electricity contract is a special one for electric car charging at home, b) our fixed rate gas contract has recently ended and we are on a variable rate one now, and c) all rates tend to vary depending on what part of the county you live in. Incidentally, I read recently that this might be a good time to consider going for a fixed rate deal again, but I’ll need to read up a bit more about it before deciding whether to opt for that now or wait a bit longer. Pity your Maffetone experiment is over so soon, but it did sound difficult to stick to. Well done for overtaking that young whippersnapper on your hilly bike ride today, the poor guy was probably feeling pleased with himself for getting up the hill, but after being overtaken by a “mature” cyclist he’s likely well and truly depressed now.

WtnMel If you can send me a link about the skinny dip (or details about the charity, when it takes place, how to enter etc) I’ll post it on a Facebook group that covers all the north east running clubs. I spoke to my son about the Kielder Observatory and he said it was very good, “but freezing” however he did say he’d recommend it to anyone thinking of going. I hope you were successful at golf today, looking forward to your report. I laughed at the thought of you power walking up that hill to beat the dog walker (I take it you did beat her?). Like you I’ve also received a new debit card (not Nat West) recently and mine also has no details on the front other than the bank name. Perhaps all the banks are changing to this design now? Regarding your problems with your Sainsbury’s card - we often find this happens with ours when shopping in Sainsbury, but never elsewhere. When it happens in Sainsbury’s the staff member usually takes us to another till and it works on that one. No idea why.

It was supposed to be really warm today but instead it’s overcast and very windy, even more so than yesterday. I had another 3 mile run yesterday but it was no different to other recent ones in that I had to run it slowly as I wasn’t able to comfortably increase my speed. So, another 3 miler is planned for tomorrow at the park (before the parkrun people get there to start their set up). Today I’ve spent an hour doing Yin yoga, which I’ve just discovered and rather like. Poses are held for two or more minutes to fully stretch the body, and it’s surprisingly relaxing. At least that’s what it felt like today, tomorrow I’ll probably be full of aches and pains!
  • Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, that Maffetone formula is a load of rubbish as far as I'm concerned. Thanks the pyramids went very well, see below.

That's odd, the problems you are having with your Sainsbury's credit card. Sounds a bit dodgy to me. I always use my Bank's debit or credit card.

Well done for yesterday morning swim. Are you still using the breast stroke, or do you incorporate the front crawl?

I hope todays golf with Alan went well!

JB, thanks, I left the track unscathed!  That's the second track session so far, so fingers crossed, I may be able to do more.

Well done to you and Mrs JB, for your Farmers Walk. They do get easier, after a while, as I suppose the muscles get stronger. It's interesting to note that you are now getting competitive with uphill cycling. You have quite a repertoire of different disciplines now. 

Good luck with tomorrows parkrun, another speciality of yours!

Aquarius, I have a theory that it is when I'm typing a long post and it gets to the bottom of the page, it can't carry it over to a new page.🤔 

My bank debit and credit cards haven't changed yet, but they have a couple of years before expiry, so perhaps that is why.

Keep up the 3 milers, your speed will return, I'm sure. You must be very flexible now, with all the different stretches etc that you are doing.

Yesterdays track session was pyramids, which comprised 2 sets of 30, 60, 90, 120, 90, 60, 30 seconds. My last 30 seconds was the quickest of all at an average of 7.23 minute miling. It was good running with younger runners. I'm always "the old man in the pack." 

It's been a lovely sunny day today and I have made the most of it. An early morning haircut at 8.30,as soon as they opened, then Tesco, but in the car this time. This afternoon, I gave the car a good check over, under the bonnet, tyre pressures, and valeting. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS It sounds like you had a very productive day yesterday, but no Farmer's Walk? I hope that wasn't due to your recent fall. Although, seeing the details of your speedy track session with the "youngsters" on Thursday, I imagine you must be almost fully recovered now. Have you had a run today?

WtnMel how did the golf go? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

JB I'm keeping fingers crossed for you too, and Mrs JB of course, for your parkrun visit today. I hope that hamstring behaved itself.

I had an early outing this morning for my 3 mile run - up to the park, three laps, then home again. Still slow, but gradually increasing the distance (3.45 miles today). I think I'll try to get it up to 4.5 miles before introducing any speed work, but I'm feeling a little more encouraged in that I'm not quite as tired after my runs as I was a week or so ago. Still a long journey ahead I feel.
  • HS that sounds like a cracking training session. I bet you hold you own with youngsters. Well done on sorting out your car and getting your hair cut. Sounds like you are having a getting jobs done sort of day, reminding me that the lawn is a disgrace.

Aqua, thanks for the breakdown of your energy bill. As you say it's difficult to generalise as we are all in different situations with many variables. Good to get another 3 miler omunder your belt. Clearly you weren't too tempted to do a Parkrun. Mrs JB is feeling a bit delicate: she gets diverticulitis and has too watch not overdoing it. 

My parkrun went very well with a 20.47 on a windy day. 24th out of 422, a big field as it was the 6th birthday of the event. 1st in age category and the 82.20% age grade was the 4th best  Hats off to a 75-79 woman who managed 92%. Brilliant!
  • Good morning all, 

Aquarius, I had to pass Tesco on my drive back from the village, so it made sense to drive in and do my shopping. 

I have nearly recovered now thanks, and I did run today, see below. 

I saw your morning run on Strava. Good to hear that you are starting to feel better, and considering upping your mileage.

JB, it was a great session and "I held my own" against most of the youngsters. It was good to be getting competitive again. 

Another truelly amazing parkrun by you. It's so impressive getting 80%+ WAVA'S with such consistency! Definitely hats off too to the 75-79 year old lady achieving 92%..That's phenomenal!!

This morning was a hill reps session. 6 reps with 20 metre sprints at the top. I managed to run 10% in zone 5 max, and 63% in zone 4 threshold, 21% in zone 3 aerobic. Zones 1 and 2 were 2%.

I'm looking forward to seeing triathlon this afternoon. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - I can imagine walking back from the supermarket laden down with shopping is hard work. So well done to you and the other 'farmer' on this thread ;) I don't find I'm any hungrier than usual after my swimming. Well done for beating that young whippersnapper up that hill when on your cycle ride. Glad to hear today's parkrun went well - 24th in a large field like that is commendable. And kudos to that 75-79 lady with her 92% WAVA.

Aquarius - I think you may be right about your energy bill not being a good comparison if you've been on a fixed rate. No doubt it will be higher now you've moved to a variable rate. I've posted a link to the North East Skinny Dip below. I saw in the Kielder info the warning it will be cold there owing to the location and to wrap up in more layers than you think you'll need. I did beat that dog-walking lady up the hill. Sounds like the banks may use the same design team if your new card is also similarly free of lots of branding? I've still not had any response from the Sainsbury's credit card people so have sent a grumpy message this morning asking why - and warning I may take my business elsewhere. Well done re your 3ml run. Must admit, I've never heard of yin yoga before. Reading on further, well done re your slightly longer run. When I used to come back from injuries in the past, it was always a case of building up distance first before trying to run faster. So I'd just say - be patient with your recovery.

HS - glad to hear the pyramid session went well. At swimming, I'm still doing breaststroke - but I have plans to start trying out front crawl once I've improved the breaststroke to my own satisfaction. Re golf - see below. I try and remember to check our tyre pressures regularly (it was one of the tips someone from the IAM quoted last week to use less fuel - as well as removing weight from the boot, removing the roof rack and driving more slowly and smoothly with less hard braking and acceleration).

I've been diligent and done my exercises this morning (I was feeling a bit 'creaky' after yesterday's golf :) Just popping onto RW post-coffee before getting on with the 'chores'. Margaret is planning to have a wander round the village looking at some gardens that are open for viewing (organised by the u3a and raising money for Ukraine). I'm not inspired to do so myself so I'll busy myself washing the windows and doing some work in the garden like cutting the lawns. Apart from the 'wildlife corner' of the back lawn which is looking good now the grass has grown abut 18" high and where some flowers are finally popping their heads up.

Pleased to report I won at golf yesterday by two shots. It wasn't a 'total' victory (c) "Alan" because although I had a lower score and scored more points, we won the same number of holes. Battle will re-commence next Friday and Alan will no doubt be out for revenge and I'll be hoping for a hat-trick of victories. Blowing my own trumpet obviously - but would just like to mention that on the 11th hole yesterday (137 yds) where you tee off over a lake and the green is hidden and protected by two large bunkers, I hit a lovely straight drive which sailed over the lake and dropped onto the green behind the bunkers. The green is higher than the tee so it wasn't until we had walked to it we were able to see my ball had landed 18" from the pin! I tapped the ball into the hole for a birdie (1 under par).

Aquarius - I've copied & pasted the link to the skinny dip below. When you post the link you can tell them it was via your 'nutty friend' from Gloucestershire who is a regular and will be there again this year with splodges of blue body paint on his face and wearing his UCI-coloured bobble hat. And tell them it's the 10th anniversary dip and it would be nice to get as many 'bodies' as possible along to the dip to break the 1000 target.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/north-east-skinny-dip-2022-the-10th-anniversary-dip-tickets-254591749777

• Good evening all, 

WtnMel,  thanks I enjoyed the pyramid session. 

It will be interesting to see whether you will find the front crawl any quicker than the breast stroke, once you have mastered it. I found that I could swim faster with the breast stroke, than some swimming front crawl. 

Glad to hear that you beat Alan by two shots yesterday. Good luck with next Friday's rematch. Congratulations for "your birdie," very impressive!
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    JB congratulations, that’s an excellent WAVA, and a great time too, particularly as it was a windy day. I hope Mrs JB will be feeling better soon. What a speedy 75-79 yr old that lady with the 92% WAVA must be. What was her finish time?

HS A tough hill rep session yesterday for you. The 20m sprint at the top sounds particularly brutal, it would finish me off 😄. 
    I bet not many people could do that session and only be in zone 5 for 10% of the time, it’s quite an impressive indication of your fitness. 

WtnMel I’ve posted details of the skinny dip on Facebook, thanks for sending me the link. I hope some people will consider taking part. If I get any queries or feedback I’ll let you know.
    Well done for your golf result, long may this winning streak last (you’ll be getting a call up from the Saudis before you know it).

• Mel, well done on your golf match and especially that shot. The Saudis will be beating your door down!

HS, you must have had a pretty decent breast stroke. I would always assume that folk with low body fat would not be 'natural' swimmers, but that's probably my own weak excuse for being a shocking swimmer! Agree with Aqua's observations on your fitness data.

Aqua, the VW75, who is actually a club mate of mine, did 27.09! She is ranked regularly in the top 5 in the UK across a number of distances. 

On a bit of a last minute whim I found a 10k race to run today. I had to go across the county border to Surrey, but it was worth it as it was a lovely setting with great views across to the Surrey hills. But it was tough: undulating to the point of hilly and very hot. There was a 10 mile race at the same time and the better runners did that, thus allowing my 44.37 to get me 13th place and a silver medal in the 60-69 category, the winner of which was definitely nearer 60 than 65!
    So that's 2 tough races in 2 days and I realise it wasn't sensible, especially given the hamstring - which behaved itself.

Aquarius, that hill session was tough, but I wanted to see how far I could push myself. It was interesting to run it with hr in mind.

JB, my breast stroke was quite powerful, and as I've said before, I've twice swum the BT Challenge 5k. I also studied library books to ascertain style, breathing, coordination etc. Also though, the front crawlers who I was quicker than, probably weren't that proficient with the stroke. A good front crawler would always be quicker than a good breast stroker.

Very well done for your 10k time and position! That 44.37 must be a very tasty WAVA. I hope you have a rest day tomorrow!.

By way of comparison, I did a solo hilly road 10k on my usual course in a very unflattering 1.06.51. My excuse is that my legs were very heavy after Thursday's track session, and yesterday's hill reps. I must be fitter than I thought though as my average hr was 117, and max 132. In my race in 2 weeks time, I should be able to knock a few minutes off 🤞
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    JB Your club mate must be quite a role model for younger club members. What distances does she do? 
    I don't know how you can do a hilly 10k on a whim, especially after a fast parkrun the previous day. No doubt you are in the middle of a marathon as I type this.

HS There's no disgrace in running a gentle 10k after all your exertions during the week, in fact your legs probably thanked you for it! Very enviable HR. What time are you aiming for in a couple of weeks?

Another 3.5 run for me today, although rather annoyingly my Garmin was playing up again and I had no GPS, so I didn't record the run. It was very frustrating because I felt a bit stronger and thought I was a bit (only a very little bit) faster. I really can't work out why some days I get the GPS signal immediately and not at all on other days. My route today was along the Derwent Walk, which is just a narrow track between high trees that often meet overhead. I've found if my watch hasn't picked up GPS before I enter the Walk I'm unlikely to get it at all, which was the case today. 

We have another pesky spammer, so I've flagged it. 

Aquarius, I think my legs were grateful for an easier paced run. I'm hoping to go sub 60 minutes in my 10k race. 

Well done for another 3.5 mile run. I can't understand why your Garmin is so temperamental. Have you tried a factory reset? That seems to resolve some problems. I sometimes Google "'how to do ------"and the solutions are often very helpful. They are often u tube videos, which makes it easier to follow. 

It was just me from the Monday Group running this morning, and ran 12k (7.64 miles) in the forest. It was a steady run, and I enjoyed the sunshine and scenery. I took some photos and will try to post them. 

• Aqua, her name is Pauline Rich and I recommend you check out her Power of 10 page. Prepare to be impressed. Good that you are feeling stronger.

HS, nice run and nice pictures (as ever). Thanks for flagging the spammer.

Nice little outing for me today. Cycled to meet up with some pals and we then had a lovely walk along a river to a rather nice pub for a very good lunch. I then cycled back home via the beastly hill. I made it to the top but goodness knows what my HR must have been.
    This was a 7 mile flat bike ride, a 4.5 mile walk and a 7 mile hilly bike ride - so not quite a marathon.

Hugely enjoyed the coverage of the triathlons on Saturday and Sunday.

It was the Centurian South Downs Way 100 mile ultra this weekend. Knowing quite a lot of the course makes me even more admiring of those who attempt it yet alone complete it. I recognised 2 names, one of whom did it successfully and one who didn't.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I tried to do some front crawl yesterday and I can see my first problem will be learning to twist my body enough to catch a breath without swallowing water. I think you're right abut the heavy legs on your 10k if you'd been training hard for two days before. Well done re that 7.6ml forest run.

Aquarius - thanks for posting the link to the NESD. I saw a clip yesterday of the Rev. Kate Bottley talking about it (she's a regular there). Well done re that 3.5ml run but sorry your Garmin was playing up again. FYI, on Fetch, there's a facility where you can plot a route you've done if you already know the time and want to check the distance.

JB - unfortunately, I think that 18" from the pin drive was a bit of a fluke (would be nice to think I could be that accurate every time). Glad to hear the trip to that 10k was worth it and well done for winning that silver medal in your age category. Sounds like an enjoyable cycle/walk/lunch outing you had.

i've flagged that spammer. I seem to recall 5 people need to flag them before they disappear? So maybe rwspamkiller1 & 2 need to put in an appearance :)

The golf 'summer tour' is starting this coming Friday. Alan has booked us a round at Naunton Downs GC which is a 30min drive away and on the way to Stow-on-the Wold. We played there last year and it was an interesting course (without being impossible). And I can see from the forecast the weather will be hot so will take plenty of water with me.

I've had plenty of exercise today. I did a 3.6ml walk before breakfast, walked to coffee and chat (1ml round trip), walked to the local village hall (1.2ml round trip) for country dancing (2hrs worth). Back home now and needless to say, I'll not be doing anything else today. According to my Garmin I've done 17,179 steps which is quite enough for one day.
  • I'm here too - and the spammer has gone now :)
  • Mel, treasure flukes like that! That golf tour sounds like fun, although it will be hot.
    Country dancing? Is there no end to this man's talents?
    Thanks for zapping the intruder.

Well, I've just had a morale booster. I knew there been some kind of IT cock up with yesterday's race results but I didn't think it affected my time or position. However it seems that I actually won my category: the silver should have been a gold.

I did think the the winning time for the guy who won my category was very, very good (41 minutes on a brute of a course), but he has now mysteriously disappeared.

There is a absolutely NO truth in the rumour that I took out a contract on him!
  • Good morning everyone, 

JB, sounded like you had an energetic day yesterday. I also enjoyed the triathlons. It was good in the mixed, the men starting first, so the women were able to take the kudos at the finish.

Talking of Ultras, Tracy who ran the Salisbury 10 miles with me recently, did the Race to the King over the weekend. She did it with a friend in 2 days, 30 miles each day with an overnight stop. She took a short video of her friend attempting to climb over a style at the 45 miles marker. It seemed to take an eternity, every movement being agony. I struggle over gates and styles, no matter how far I have run, so there is no way I would attempt an Ultra. 

WtnMel, well done for attempting the crawl. As I've said before, I never mastered it, so just continued with the breast stroke.
    Thanks for killing off the spammer.
    Good luck with Fridays golf match, the first of your tour. 
    You must be exhausted after yesterday's activities, especially 2 hours country dancing . I remember country dancing at Primary School, and wasn't that enamoured with it. I did go to ballroom dancing lessons in my teens, but it was really just to meet up with the girls. 

JB again, that's great news that you actually won your age category yesterday, and should have been awarded the gold medal. I presume the guy who cheated is now on the plane to Rowanda.🤣

Today is a running rest day, and as usual am catching up with chores.☹️
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - I won't forget that fluke shot in a hurry .. just think I'll be waiting a while until the next one comes along. The county dancing is good fun - because we're (mostly) a bit rubbish so we have a good laugh while attempting to remember what we're supposed to be doing and with who. Good news that you won your category after that slightly dodgy-sounding result from the other guy. I wonder if he took the bus halfway round?

HS - I've watched the triathlons but still have the mixed relay to watch (so hopefully I won't read on and see any spoilers!). Your friend Tracy's co-runner's experience getting over a stile after 45 miles reminds me of when I did the Sarsen Trail (25ml) walk from Avebury to Stonehenge. After arriving at the finish we sat and had some tea and cake .. then when we had to climb a stile to get to the coach taking us back to Avebury. Our legs really didn't want to work and we also took ages getting over it .. and climbing the steep steps into the coach was also a bit of struggle. Doing country dancing would still be a good way to meet the 'girls' if you were that way inclined and not in a relationship - at yesterday's meeting there were 14 ladies and just 3 of us men. Some ladies end up wearing a green ribbon to signify they're pretending to be a man.

My legs have recovered from yesterday's exertions. No early walk today - but I got my exercise a bit later when I walked into town to pay some money into the bank (2ml round trip).

Book Group this afternoon and I'm looking forward to hearing what the others thought of the latest choice - "Once Upon A River - Diane Setterfield". For my part, although I enjoyed the story itself, there seemed to me to be a bit too much repetitive waffle which made the book longer than it needed to be but didn't actually help the story along.
  • Talking of styles, I once did a half marathon with loads of the buggers. I'm not the most coordinated of people and every time I tackled one a rather long queue of frustrated runners lined up behind me.

HS, I know someone doing that Kings event. I'll check out how he got on.

Mel, I hardly ever seem to finish a book even one of my own choosing, so I just couldn't wade through one from a sense of duty. Well done!

Feeling a bit whoosy today. Clearly a case of overdoing it in the last few days. So just a nice slow 3 mile walk and a day listening to the cricket which, not wanting to give out a spoiler, is very 'interesting'.

England football match on this evening which, in common I suspect with most football fans, is of very little interest to me. Whatever happened to the  days when the football made space for summer sports, and you'd actually get guys who played professional cricket and soccer?
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS The Triathlon was really good both days, great shame about the accident to Jonny and Alex, but (as you don’t want a spoiler WtnMel) I’ll just say the mixed relay was really exciting. Thanks for the advice about my Garmin, but I’ve tried most things and even looked on Garmin user forums. It’s odd that it works some days but not others. I’ll see what it does tomorrow when I go for a run. Why were you Billy-no-mates yesterday on your run? Ouch to that style clambering by Tracy’s friend after 45 miles, I imagine she’s  still feeling it now.

JB I checked out Pauline Rich - a very impressive set of stats over a good range of distances and categories. At our club we also have a slightly older “mature” lady who holds various national and international titles, also some age-related records. If you want to check her stats her name is Kath Stewart. It’s great to see these ladies not letting age slow them down. It sounds like you had a lovely day out with your friends yesterday, I bet that bike ride home burned off a few calories. Great news about your race, fancy winning a gold medal! You must be really chuffed. Are the organisers arranging to swap over the medals for you? And to think you only entered on a whim…. 
    Just seen today’s post, sorry you’re feeling a bit off, good idea to take it easy.

WtnMel Good luck with improving your front crawl. I tried it a couple of times when taking lessons and quite enjoyed it, but I found the breathing difficult to co-ordinate. I think if you could crack that it would be quite an enjoyable stroke, it’s more flowing than breast stroke (of course as well as getting the breathing right there’s the arms and legs to think about too!) I bet that country dancing was good exercise, as well as being good fun. How did the book group meeting go today? 

Pilates this morning, then a surprise visit from the grandsons (and their dad), probably more tiring than going for a run!
  • Aqua, Kath Stewart: just wow!
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    JB I agree, and she's such a lovely lady too. So self-effacing and modest, never wants to talk about her achievements incase anyone thinks she's boasting. It's a pity that Masters athletics isn't promoted more, and has no TV coverage. I think it would be very motivating for people as they get older and think they're too old to be any good at sport.
    Hope you are feeling better today. 
    I've decided to give running a miss today because the pollen levels are ridiculously high and I'd only end up regretting it.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Aqua, wise decision. Pollen doesn't seem to affect me but I know that it can make one's life pretty miserable.
    I'm quite lucky in that the heat doesn't usually bother me, but this morning I found it was a bit draining, although this was probably due more to the run: 8k in 38.14 which was silly in the heat and on tired legs.
    So that's my last run of the week given that I've got 5k events on Saturday and Sunday.
    Allotment this afternoon and the first time it's needed watering for a good many weeks.
    Sounding a bit mean spirited, but I must admit to finding the overpaid England footballers losing 4.0 at home to the more modestly rewarded Hungary side just a bit funny.

WtnMel, it seems that I'm not the only one that has problems with gates and styles. 

How do you find the time to read the books that you have to comment on at Book Group? 

JB, I've also had runners queuing behind me at styles and gates, very embarrassing. 

The cricket 🏏 was inspiring, but I didn't even bother watching the football. Just as well, as it was disastrous. 

Well done for this mornings 8k in the heat, and good luck with the 5k's at the weekend. 

Take it easy in the allotment this afternoon in the sunshine 🌞 

I think it is disgraceful the wages of the top players, when so many are struggling to eat and heat. 

Aquarius, I think the mystery of the unreliability of your Garmin connecting with the satellites 🛰 may be down to a technical fault with the device. 

My solo run on Monday was due to the regulars having other commitments. 

I expect they are both still feeling the effects of the ultra and style climbing. 

Your pilates yesterday morning, and visit from grandsons and their dad, does sound more tiring than going for a run. 

You are probably wise not running today because of the high temperature and pollen. Thankfully it doesn't affect me. 

This morning was a hill reps session in the forest with the Sarah's and Mike. It comprised 6 reps with 20 metre sprints on the leval gravel track at the top of the hill