New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - re the stile during the HM, consider yourself lucky the frustrated runners behind you didn't heave you over it so they could all get on with their running ;) I don't follow cricket but I saw on the sports news how 'interesting' it was. And I saw (yet again) how quickly some footie fans forget how well the team has done under the same manager as last year - they were in some finals then, but faced with one defeat, all of a sudden they want Gareth sacked. Fans like that are idiots. And don't get me started on to how much the players are paid when it turns out they can be a bit crap at their job. Well done re the 8k run.

Aquarius - I've still not watched the mixed relay triathlon but I did note the eventual winner of the men's race was apologising for causing the accident which knocked out Jonny & Alex. I think maybe it IS lessons I'll need to get anywhere with learning front crawl because asking advice from good swimmers at my club and watching videos  on YouTube will only get me so far. The country dancing was really good exercise - I worked up a bit of a sweat and noticed several ladies were 'glowing' despite the windows being wide open. Shame you had to give the running a miss due to the pollen levels - but well done re the pilates.

HS - I do most of my reading last thing at night .. it helps me get to sleep. I only find myself reading the books during the day if I have a deadline to meet. Well done re the hill reps.

I wasn't alone in having to wade through that latest book. At our meeting yesterday, one other hated it, one agreed with me it was overlong and she also got bored halfway through and it was only the other three of them that thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've been industrious today, cleaning the garage side door and then having a long-overdue sort through some 'stuff' that's been dumped in there. I found numerous cardboard boxes from various deliveries so have kept the 5 strongest, toughest ones and have flattened the rest. There was a box of books waiting to be discarded along with two bags of surplus clothes. However, the main reason for the sort-out was to uncover the treadmill beneath everything mentioned above along with some surplus golf equipment (two trollies, one set of clubs, several 'other' clubs and a golf bag). I took that golf equipment outside and photographed them and with a bit of a struggle, managed to drag the treadmill itself outside as well (and struggled to get it back in the garage afterwards). They've all been photographed ready for me to putting the stuff on Freecycle and/or  Trash Nothing.

I was just sat here like a lemon wondering why when I double-clicked on File Explorer nothing opened. THEN I remembered I'd extended my display onto my external monitor which wasn't switched on. Needless to say the 'missing' window was there all the time. I'm too clever for my own good sometimes.
  • Good afternoon everyone,  

WtnMel, I also do most of my reading at night. I go to bed fairly early and read for about 30 minutes. I think this is what helps me to get to sleep quickly. 
    It must be tough sometimes when the books are boring, or over complicated, and you have to wade through them. 

Well done for sorting the garage out. It's amazing the stuff that we find, that we had forgotten about, or can't remember buying .

Computer's are very frustrating at times. My laptop was "playing up" yesterday afternoon, so I decided to restart it. Guess what, it was uploading updates, and it took over an hour until it was completed, and then started configuring them. I logged out when that was finished, as I'd "had enough!"

It was so hot this morning that I only ran slowly. I ran 5.71 miles in the forest, including a trot round one of the first 5k courses that we used. I didn't see any other runners, but there were plenty of dog walkers, walking them before it got even hotter. 🌞
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I've found a cup of camomile tea (even in Summer) and reading a book helps me sleep soundly so no point fixing something that is working just fine. Not quite 'sorted the garage out' - more akin to starting at the front end and uncovering things and deciding to - keep/ditch/give away - as I slowly make my way towards the back! :) I had some more updates yesterday as well - I left it installing them and came back later once it had finished. Well done for running in this hot weather.

I've been out with the U3A rambling group today. It started/finished in Bishops Cleeve for a change so with the walk to the start point, the ramble itself and the walk home after the post-ramble coffee stop, I've done just over 6 miles. I took my small 'Platypus' rucksack with the built-in water bladder and filled it to the 2 litre mark - there was only 1 litre left by the time I got home. It was very hot out - not helped by some of the ramblers being very slow so there was quite a bit of standing around in full sun waiting for them.

Golf tomorrow so another four hours out in the sunshine. I shall slap on plenty of factor 50 like I did today and will have my Tilley sunhat with me to keep the sun off my head. 
  • Mel, well done for clearing that stuff. If it can fi to a 'good home' then so much the better, though I'm not optimistic for the treadmill.
    That's an awful lot of sunshine that you're absorbing.

HS, my laptop could with the sort of clearing that Mel is inflicting on the garage! Well done for getting that run done.Am I right in thanking that there's a lot of natural shade in the forest? Our prom has virtually none and it can be pretty brutal.

Not done much today, just 25 mins in the saddle of the exercise  bike.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Just two days since I was last on here, and what a lot of posts.

I know a lot of women like football, but I'm afraid it leaves me cold. I agree about the ridiculous amounts of money they get paid. It annoys me that some footballers see themselves as superstars, but are actually just poor role models. When you look back at film footage of teams in the 60s there is such a gulf between those players and present day ones. The element of sport has been lost, it's now a cuthroat business. I realise that applies to a lot of professional sport these days, but it's sad to see. Long may grass roots sport flourish, where people take part for the enjoyment, not the financial rewards.

On the subject of computers my laptop has been running slow for some time, which appears to be due to lack of memory (or so it advises). It currently has 4G of memory, to which I can add a further 4G so eldest son has ordered some compatible memory for me and will fit it when it comes. I know this won't make a huge difference, but it may keep my 9 year old laptop going a bit longer.

Our garage doesn't need a clear out, but I have a number of cupboards that do. One more job for the list. 

I usually listen to an audiobook at bedtime (currently "Mary Barton" which is not a barrel of laughs I have to say, for that any P G Wodehouse makes me chuckle), although there is always the risk of falling asleep before I've turned it off. I used to read a book but I found I got too involved and ended up more wide awake than sleepy. I now tend to pick up a book at odd times and read a bit as and when I can fit it in to the day, so these are usually some sort of non fiction where I don't need to remember the story of what went before. At the moment I'm alternating between a couple of books, one on prehistory and one on the nature of conciousness. They might sound a bit boring and dry, but they are surprisingly interesting (but probably not good suggestions for the ladies in your book group Mel ;) ). I should also add that I'm a big fan of crime novels in case I sound too highbrow  :D I can devour those in one sitting, so need to ration my consumption.

I haven't tried Camomile tea, but I have been getting a bit more adventurous lately with Fennel tea and also Green tea with mint. They make a pleasant change from my usual English Breakfast variety.

WtnMel Your ramble yesterday sounds hot and tiring, I hope the weather is a bit fresher for golf match, although the forecast doesn't sound promising in that respect. Glad to hear about the Factor 50 and sunhat. 

JB 25 mins indoor cycling is probably not much fun in this heat. I imagine you will be back at parkrun tomorrow, so lots of Factor 50 for you too. Do you have any other runs lined up this weekend? 

HS Reading about your run yesterday reminded me of how hot the weather is down your way, we have had sticky overcast days, with only occasional sunshine, nothing like the heatwave in the south. At least today will be a rest day for you, apart from your Farmers walk of course.

I did a 4 mile run yesterday, with Garmin eventually picking up the satellites after almost 2 miles (which was nearly all uphill). I was quite pleased with how I felt - still not back to normal but getting there. I may try a parkrun tomorrow. 
  • Good morning everyone, 

WtnMel, I have a mug of chocolate Horlicks in the evening which I think helps. I try not to drink after 2 hours before bedtime, so that I won't need to keep getting up for a bathroom visit 🙃 

Sounds like a nice walk with the U3A rambling group. A litre of water sounds  a lot. A pint and 3/4 if I remember rightly.

Good luck with today's golf match. ⛳️ 4 hours in the sun will be tough. Good that you have a Tilley sun hat.

JB, there is not as much shade in the forest as you would think. A lot of trees have been felled over the years, so some of the trails have no trees either sides.

Well done for your 25 minutes on the exercise bike. I haven't returned to the spin bike sessions since they were stopped at the start of the Covid pandemic. 

Today's farmers walk was the heaviest yet, and I had to stop once. No other exercise planned. 
  • Aquarius, our posts crossed! I will reply to yours later.
  • Aqua et al, on the getting off to sleep issue it's interesting to see our various ploys. Mine is simple and my wife will confirm: I start dozing off around 9.30, on the sofa, while we are usually in the middle of something really good on Netflix and having consumed a can of beer. Upon transferring to bed I drop off within about 10 minutes but then don't always enjoy the best of sleeps.

On reading, we do seem to be a pretty well read bunch BUT I'm letting the side down as I simply can't finish a book right now. 

It's building up some heat out there.
    A short bike ride was early enough to avoid the worst of it, but it was also a bike ride that saw me slam my pedal against my shin as I dismounted. Ouch!

Runs this weekend: standard 5k parkrun tomorrow (flat) and a challenging 5k on Sunday (hilly).

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS - our posts are always crossing :). You must have been buying a a lot more this week if your shopping was that heavy. Are you running tomorrow?

JB Ouch. Shins are very tender aren't they? I bet you'll have a lovely bruise tomorrow, I hope it doesn't impact on your parkrun performance. Where's your hilly 5k on Sunday? 
    Steve is just like you for falling asleep in front of the television. It's usually as he settles down to watch a programme he's been looking forward to, then about 20 minutes later he's asleep. I'm forever telling him to wake up (and of course he denies he's been asleep).
    It's quite windy here, but I'm going for a short walk this afternoon to see what my Gamin does. It wouldn't surprise me if it found the satellites as soon as i get outdoors, just to spite me.
  • Aquarius, I was thinking that when I saw your post arrive. Yes I did seem to have a lot more shopping than usual for a Friday, perhaps I bought less on Tuesday. 
    Yes, I will be running tomorrow with Sarah H. She is going to Glastonbury next week. It's the IoW festival starting today, and it was the same time 3 years ago when my sister and I went over for our Aunties Funeral.
    I hope your Garmin doesn't play up during your walk!

JB, I have a bottle of beer earlier in the evening most nights, but very seldom doze off before bed time. I do sometimes doze off for about 10 minutes after lunch. 

Ouch, your shin must be very sore from its contact with the bike pedal.
    Good luck with your respective parkruns this weekend.

Sarah F is doing the Bartley parkrun tomorrow,  but I'm not doing another until after the Exbury Gardens 10k Sunday week. There are 1000 runners, and will also be pacemakers. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Just popping back on to say my Garmin didn't get GPS on my walk. :#

This is what I'm been able to find out so far (just in case you know anyone else who is having similar problems) -
    This is apparently a very common problem for a number of watches, particularly the Garmin 45 and 245, but many others besides. The issue is due to the CPE (Connected Predictive Ephemeris file) expiring (this is what binds the watch to the satellites). It seems this file only lasts for a certain length of time but should automatically be renewed when you sync, or even just by leaving the watch outside for a while. Garmin are well aware of the problem, and said in 2021 that solving it was their top priority.( :D) Apparently the watches affected are the ones that use the Sony GPS chip, which is in most sports watches.
    I've tried leaving the watch outside for 30 mins, and also tried syncing it a few times, neither has worked. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I go for a run. Hopefully by the time I reach parkrun it should have located the satellites. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

JB - I hope I can find a good home for this surplus stuff. I'm always thinking some folks 'hoover up' free goodies from well-meaning folks like me and then flog them at car boot sales :( Well done re the 25min exercise bike ride. Ouch to the bashed shin from your bike ride outside.

Aquarius - my laptop (5 yrs old?) sometimes complains memory is low. I have Norton to do backups, keep bugs away and one thing it also does is recover memory in use. So far (fingers crossed) it seems to keep the laptop running well enough for me not to have to consider replacing it. Maybe you can let me know those two book titles as the ladies are always seem to be keen to try types of books they wouldn't normally bother with - even if they decide they didn't like it at our subsequent meeting. Glad to hear you were feeling better during that 4ml run. I sometimes find myself nodding off in the evenings - which doesn't help when I'm on "grab the remote and skip past the adverts" duty. Sorry to hear about your continuing problems with not getting a gps signal :(

HS - I also have Horlicks in the evenings (the original type). But that's mostly during the Winter months. 

The WhatsApp group for my book group has come alive this morning after a lull since Tuesday's meeting. One lady who was hard on the book on Tuesday says her opinion has mellowed a bit. Another was bemoaning the fact she can't get this month's book from the library. But needless to say they've moved on - one lady wonders why she always seems to get 'volunteered' to make tea and wonders if they're trying to tell her something. And there's currently a discussion of the health benefits of beetroot juice and votes for/against pickled beetroot :)

Feeling a bit 'creaky' this morning. It was hot, hot, hot at golf yesterday (mad dogs and Englishmen come to mind). The course we visited is very undulating and even with my electric trolley it was hard work. I was glad of my Tilley hat and probably drank 2 ltrs of water while out on the course. And despite a cold beer afterwards I still needed a can of coke when I got home and a pint of orange juice/water before I felt properly re-hydrated again. As a bonus - despite all the fluids, no night-time bathroom visit was needed.

Unfortunately, Alan beat me by 14 shots yesterday because I fell apart (physically and mentally) towards the end as I was getting very tired by then. Some of that obviously because I'd been out in the sunshine and walked the 6mls the day before so I won't be attempting to do anything similar another time.
  • Mel, that round of golf sounds very, very hard. Impressive rehydration though! I don't drink enough water.

HS, funnily enough met a friend/rival this morning and he told me he's doing the Exbury Gardens 10k. He's 69 so not in your age category. He would be about 46-48 mins one a flat course. As for the Bartley PR, it's on my to do list especially as my sister is moving to Southampton soon.
    My older son is off to Glastonbury.

Aqua, the shin is a bit sore. Loved the description of Steve's dozing habit. My Garmin is pretty reliable but I don't use its full range of functionality.
    My 5k tomorrow is near Arundel and on private land. It's supposed to be lovely but hard.

Today's park run went well. Too well in fact for the first km which I did in 4.01 which is silly fast. I had delusions of an SB but got slower with each Km, including the last one where I can usually raise a gallop.
    Finished with 20.50/AG 82% and an age cat win, so mustn't grumble.
    The heat was quite oppressive and got to MrsJB who was disappointed with her 35 mins plus.

Aquarius, sorry to hear that your Garmin problem has still not been resolved. It seems that Garmin have been aware of it for some time, but have been unable to resolve it. 

WtnMel, I'm amazed that after all the liquid you consumed, you didn't need to get up in the night for a bathroom visit!

Sorry to hear that Alan beat you yesterday in your golf match, but the temperature and your possible dehydration must be the root cause of you playing below par. No pun intended.

JB, I'm glad to hear that your friend/rival is not in my age category, as he is much quicker than me! 

You will have to let me know when you intend doing the Bartley parkrun, and I will try to run it that day. You would be way ahead of me, and I'm certain that you would set a course record for your age category. Its so many years since our 10 mile sprint finish, that I've no idea whether I would be able to recognise you.

Well done for today's excellent parkrun result, and good luck for tomorrow's. Sorry that Mrs JB's time wasn't as quick as she would have liked.

Sarah F was doing Bartley this morning, but I haven't heard how she got on. I ran an easy forest 5 miles with Sarah H, including running round one of our 5k courses. We did that in a comfortable 34.23 minutes. 
  • HS that suggestion to meet up at the park run is lovely. I'll let you know when I have a crack at it.

Today's 5k in the heart of the South Downs was stunning but very hard.
    I struggled on the badly rutted surface and my calf played up.
    Also the course was 0. 65k too long which made the finish a bit frustrating.
    I think I came 9th in just under 27 minutes, although the extra bit was 3 minutes of that time.
    No result out yet but Mrs JB tells me that I was 9th and the first oldie.

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS Not long now until your 10k, I hope the hot weather eases by Sunday. I can’t remember whether you told us if any of your fellow runners are taking part with you? You mentioned there would be pacemakers at the event, will you be using them to help you to your sub 60 target?

JB Another good parkrun from you, despite the heat (I sympathise with Mrs JB - I really hate running when it’s too hot). Yesterday’s 5k didn’t sound very comfortable with the rutted ground, always a worry for ankle turning, and doubtless the source of your sore calf. A good time nevertheless, although always frustrating when the course is longer than it should be. Will you win a prize for being first oldie? 

WtnMel  The books I’m reading are “Britain BC” by Francis Pryor (you might remember him from Time Team) and "Being You" by Anil Seth. Britain BC would appeal if you are interested in prehistory, as it covers the Stone Age to the arrival of the Romans, but it’s quite a long book. Being You, which I’m just starting, is I have to admit a bit heavy going although fascinating. It’s about the nature of consciousness, or what it is to ”be” but written from a neuroscientist’s point of view. These books may not be suitable for a book group as they are not books that can be read quickly and, without any disrespect, I don’t think your “ladies” would enjoy them (incidentally are you the only man at the book group? I’ve never heard you mention any others). Sorry to hear about your golf match, those conditions sounded horrible. Hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler next time.

I walked to parkrun on Saturday to give Garmin time to get the satellites, but as I arrived at the park (still minus GPS) I met a runner who told me the parkrun was cancelled due to a tree having fallen across the route. I retraced my steps trying to decide what to do, and just as I got back to the road I finally got GPS! So I re-ran the route I did on Thursday, plus a bit more. As I was doing my cool down I met my youngest son and his family walking their dog. We chatted for a bit and decided to meet at their house in the evening for a family meal (plus other son). We all brought some food and had a really nice, if rather late, night. Yesterday I turned Garmin on and put it outside for a few hours (tbh it was only meant to be 30 minutes, but I forgot about it), unfortunately it still showed “CPE expired” afterwards. This morning I put it outside again, for about 20 mins or so before my run, and this time it got the satellites at the first attempt. This morning’s run was going to be 6 x 300m, but I gave up after 4 repeats as I was having to hang around too much, waiting for my section of the path to be clear of dog walkers. One or two dogs were on leads, but others weren’t, and after being “herded” by a friendly sheepdog I decided enough was enough. Pilates tomorrow, then maybe a slightly longer run on Wednesday. We are due our first hot day today, although the forecast has already been downgraded to sunny intervals (max 20 degrees - almost a heatwave for us B) ). I wish they would downgrade the pollen count too!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - I checked the stats for Friday's golf and according to GC there was a total of 76 mtrs of ascent while walking round the course - and presumably an equal amount of descent. Well done re the parkrun result - shame the heat got to Mrs JB. And well done re 10K but a shame your calf played up on that terrain. But nonetheless, sounds like a good result.

HS - I was (pleasantly) surprised I slept through on Fri night despite all the liquid I had consumed. It was definitely the heat and the 6ml ramble the day before that caused me to lose concentration and lack energy by the end of the round. As I said, I won't do the same again. We'[re back to the flatter, easier to negotiate surroundings of Broome Manor golf course on Friday. I'm hoping you and JB might be able to synchronise your visits to the Bartley parkrun and manage to meet up.

I have suggested in the past to Aquarius that we meet me at Druridge Bay one September - but she seems strangely reluctant. Can't think why! ;):) 

Aquarius - thanks for the info re the books you are reading. I think you're right about neither of them being suitable for the book group but I may read them myself. I'll mention them though in case any of the ladies want to read them away from the book group. Yes, I am the only man in my book group - but consider myself 'one of the girls' these days. Shame about the parkrun being cancelled but pleased to see your Garmin got satellites and you were able to run. But I see you had to abandon another run because of too many dogs off leads (grrrr). Had a smile at 20 degrees 'oop north being classed as a heatwave :)

I did a 3ml pre-breakfast walk earlier on and did my s&s exercises before coffee so feeling very virtuous today.

I'd better go and get my lunch as I'm off to the u3a monthly meeting after lunch. We're having a talk about Edith Cavell - a 1st world war nurse who saved countless lives (both English and German).
  • All, your discipline manifested in reading and sticking at it shamed me into starting a book which I am now determined to finish. It's called The Passenger and was one of Mrs B's club choices. It got rave reviews when it was finally published a few years ago, having been written early in the war. It's an account of a Jewish businessman just as the Nazi's were cracking down on them.
    It's very harrowing!

I'm totally knackered today. The poorly measured 5k yesterday did me in! I checked my records and the time was my Personal Worst for a 5k, although this was mainly because of the extra 3 minute bit.
    But then I checked back on the other years that that the event has been run and my time was a course record for my age group even in the years when it was an accurate 5k.
    That cheered me up. (Yes, I know I'm shallow!)

I hope those of us who are fathers (plus Steve) were treated to something yesterday. I received 2 lots of beer.

JB, that would be good to meet up at Bartley parkrun sometime. Well done for yesterday's over distance parkrun. It must be very rewarding to be a course record holder! 

I'm working my way through my collection of Dennis Wheatley books. 

Aquarius, I think it will be a bit cooler on Sunday 🤞. Sarah F will be giving out the race numbers and marshalling, and Sarah H will be at Glastonbury. I'm not sure whether I will run with the sub hour pacer. It depends how I feel on the day. My right knee has started niggling again, but if it is ok, I will aim for around 57 minutes.

That must have been a bit of a blow to discover the parkrun had been cancelled. Meeting up with your youngest son and family, and deciding to have an evening family meal, must have more than made up for it. 

I see that your Garmin is still "playing up!" Are you tempted to get a different model? Most of my gang have Garmin 645 music devices, which we find to be very reliable. 

That must have been very frustrating, the loose dogs interfering with your intended interval session. I hope you have a good pilates workout tomorrow, and that your Garmin connects to the satellites on Wednesday. 

WtnMel, I was impressed that you were able to sleep all night, without needing a "bathroom visit!"

Hopefully it will be cooler on Friday for your next golf match, and I will be expecting you to take your revenge on Alan!

I saw your morning walk on Strava. 

I hope this afternoon's u3a meeting went well? It sounds interesting. 

Bright and sunny again this morning, and I ran 6.45 miles in the forest with the Sarah's and Jane. The terrain was very lumpy and rutted, where the mud had dried out and hardened. Sarah H had a fall, but was up again immediately, no damage done.  My knee was niggling a bit, but not painful. Tomorrow is the Farmers Walk, and Wednesday will see how it is to decide what session to do. 
  • HS, definitely not keen on rutted surfaces. Glad to hear that the knee isn't too bad, but you'll be monitoring it, I'm sure.
    I'm still a bit battered following my weekend exploits. TBH I feel a bit of a wimp given that I only tend to run 5ks. For example,  my friend did the Endure 24 event in Reading with a team and ran 5x5 mile laps and was fresh as a daisy yesterday, whereas I was dragging myself around.
    But, I guess the input on a short distance still makes big demands on the body in terms of muscle damage etc.
    And then there's the age factor......

So today I'll just have a a short jog. This evening there's a track meeting which is of quite high quality and I'll go along......to watch!
  • JB, I'll be taking it easy now before Sundays 10k. There are 1013 entrants, so should be good. There is no 75+ category, but 70 -79. There are quite a lot in this category, and I know that I won't be first, as our Club President, who is a year younger than me is running, and he is International Standard, a winner of many overseas races in his age category, including duathlons and triathlons.

There is definitely a big demand on the body in shorter distances, as the effort is often more intense than in the Ultras.

Hope you enjoy watching the track meeting this evening. 

Today is a rest day, except for the Farmers Walk, which was quite speedy.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - look forward to hearing your progress on reading that book. Margaret has warned me the book club's choice for this month "The Island Of Missing Trees" is longer than I think and to give at least two week's to complete it. As our next meeting is only three weeks away I'd better start tonight! Not surprised that 5k time was a PW if the course was too long. For Father's Day, I drove over to see my eldest son and instead of going to the local Beefeater like we have in the past, he grilled me a steak instead. My younger son has sent me a Amazon voucher. I'm sure you're right about the age difference and type of event being the cause of you feeling knackered but your friend seeming to be fine after his event.

HS - good luck in advance for forthcoming race but sorry to hear about the knee niggle resurfacing. The U3A meeting was interesting. It turned out the speaker's wife has a connection (great great grandfather?) to one of the soldiers around soon after Edith Cavell's arrest and execution. Well done re the 6.45ml forest run but sorry to hear Sarah took a tumble on the rutted ground - but thank goodness no damage done. Well done for the speedy farmers walk.

Aquarius - thinking about your ongoing Garmin problems .. if they're aware the satellite connection is a bit 'iffy' with that model I wonder if you'd be able to get them to replace it with a better model? (sale of goods act and things having to be of merchantable quality and all that)

Been out for lunch with an two friends of Margaret's - an old friend in her 80's and a younger friend in her 60's who keeps an eye on the older lady and helps her out. The older lady told us the same thing several times and we had to 'grin and bear it' and pretend we didn't notice. The younger friend said she doesn't think she knows she's repeating herself. Also, being an elderly lady she's loud and a closet racist which is embarrassing in a busy pub. I was on the verge of asking her to keep her opinions to herself but she moved on to other subjects.

The meal was nice - the pub's speciality is 2-in-1 pies with your choice of main on one side and vegetables on the other - so I had chicken, ham & leek alongside cauliflower cheese. It was very tasty - but I got very frustrated trying to eat it as it arrived on a small wooden board rather than a plate! (just call me Victor Meldrew).
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Mel, lunch with a loud, closet racist who repeats herself must have been quite a trial! Why or why have plates gone out of fashion?

HS, that events sounds great and should generate a really good atmosphere. Having a 70-79 category is really rough on you 75+ runners. Theres a heck of a difference between a freshly minted 70 and a 79 year old.

I'm really enjoying the book. 

I also enjoyed popping into the athletics meeting. We only stayed for the heats of the 800 metres, but there were 10 of these and mostly packed with juniors. The standard was high (e.g. English schools representatives) and there were just so many talented youngsters. It was very encouraging for the sport.

I didn't enjoy my run today, though. It was meant to be 8k but I threw the towel in after 7k because of the heat but mostly because my calf was playing up. I managed a pace of 4.28 but this probably hurt the calf.

Might be out of action for a few days!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - she WAS a trial. Old, opinionated, thinks Boris is wonderful and can do no wrong and can't understand why she can't still refer to coloured people as 'blacks'. I only had to be there because Margaret didn't want to drive herself as it takes an hour on B-roads. I think next time I might drop her off and do my own thing to save my blood pressure. I blame the lack of plates on the inn wanting to appear 'modern' and this stupid idea of being a bit 'alternative'. Glad to hear you're enjoying the book. Sounds like the athletics meeting was enjoyable to watch. Incidentally, now I can no longer run, the athletics coverage on tv has no appeal to me any more and I've given up watching the Diamond League for instance (which always seemed to come across as a money-spinning athletics 'circus' where people would turn up to perform for the punters from week to week). Sorry to hear about your calf.

We went for a walk around Croome (NT) this morning and managed 3mls much to Margaret's surprise (with her still trying to get her knee 'right' with her physio visits). She was pleased to manage that distance with no apparent problems. We got there at 10am and managed to walk before the sun got too high and it got too hot and had a nice lunch at the cafe (a baked potato with salad/coleslaw this time rather than my usual choice of cheese and onion pasty).

Planning to walk early tomorrow morning then I'm off round to a u3a friend's house. I'm one of the computer buddies and he has a few problems he wants to get sorted out (having problems copying & pasting text; his taskbar has moved to the right-hand side of the monitor and he doesn't know how to get it back at the bottom). They don't sound like major issues - I think he just need a bit of guidance. 

WtnMel, my daughter will be posting a Father's Day present after she gets paid on Friday. 

Thanks, I ran this morning, see below, but will "rest " until Sunday to give the knee time to recover. 

Good to hear that the U3A meeting was interesting.

Sarah H left for Glastonbury about 11am after having a shower which will have "to last " for 3 days 🤣

I can imagine the embarrassment with that elderly lady talking loudly and being a closet racist. One of the pubs in the village served food on wooden boards, but it is now an Italian restaurant using plates. 

JB, the race course is different from previous years and looks really good. The race web showed a video of it, and it looks like a fast one. There were at least a dozen entrants in the 70 - 79 category, so the results should be interesting. If my knee is ok, I will push hard, but if not, I will just jog round and enjoy it. 

Good that the standard of the juniors at the track meeting was high, and hopefully they won't drop out when they mature. 

Sorry to hear that your calf was playing up during your intended 8k run, but as you said, the heat, and very fast 4.28k pace. Hope you are not out of action for too long!

This morning I ran 5.42 miles in the forest with Mike at a very easy pace, testing the knee. It was ok, but whether it could maintain race pace remains to be seen. 
  • WtnMel, our posts crossed. I will reply to yours tomorrow.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all

WtnMel I’m very impressed with all this exercise you are managing to fit in, despite the hot weather. Good that Margaret’s knee is improving too.
    Like you I can’t stand having my food served on wooden platters, how pretentious (and I can’t help wondering how hygienic it is). Although, thinking about how quickly foodie trends move on, surely wooden platters is very “yesterday” now? I can’t imagine your Boris-loving racist companion being very impressed with the lack of proper plates.
    I know I’ve said this before, but you really do have an impressive range of speakers and topics at your U3A meetings.
    Re Garmin, as it seems to be behaving at the moment (got the satellites on time for last two outings) I’ll leave things as they are just now, but I may contact Garmin regarding a replacement if the problem recurs.
    I’m sorry that you’ve lost interest in watching athletics coverage on TV. I’ve been enjoying this current season. I’m also enjoying triathlon coverage too, although that’s often just online, or on the BBC Red Button channel. Good luck for tomorrow’s golf match with Alan at Broome Manor.

JB Despite Sunday’s 5k being longer than it should have been, you came out of it with a course record for your age. That’s something to be proud of. I wonder if your feeling shattered is as much to do with the weather as anything else? Local athletics meetings are always enjoyable, particularly when there are youngsters taking part. We usually have waiting lists of youngsters wanting to join the club, which is very encouraging for the sport as you say. It’s also encouraging how many people are willing to give up their time, and juggle their own commitments, to coach them. Sorry to hear about your calf, I hope a few days rest will put that right. Although I wonder whether the siren call of parkrun will be too strong to resist?

HS What bad timing for your knee to start playing up again, I hope it holds out for your race on Sunday. It’s annoying there isn’t a 75+ category, I see quite a few have entered in the 70-79 age group, which will obviously be a lot more beneficial to those nearest the 70 end of the category. Sorry to read that Sarah H took a tumble on the rutted ground on Monday’s run, lucky that she wasn’t injured. Well done for a speedy Farmer’s Walk - perhaps this is a good omen for Sunday?

I decided on a slow 5 mile run on Wednesday, but hadn’t intended it to be quite as slow as it turned out. I had no energy at all, and deliberated giving up after only half a mile, thinking I might do better the following day. However in the end I plodded on as I didn’t want to give in. I think Tuesday’s Pilates session must have been a bit more intense than usual, either that or the short strength work out I did later in the day was to blame, either way my legs were like lead and my quads were aching. I can’t blame the heat as at that time of the day it was still relatively cool, although it got very hot later on. Today is a rest day, not sure about tomorrow. I can’t decide whether to run tomorrow, or do parkrun on Saturday. My sister and niece are arriving tomorrow afternoon, and have booked in to a local hotel for the weekend. We’ll be meeting up at some point but haven’t finalised the arrangements yet.
    (Steve received beer, chocolates and a vegetable trug planter for Father’s Day)
  • WtnMel, our posts crossed so just catching up. Good that Margaret's knee was ok for yesterday's 3 mile walk. 

I'm sure that you will find sorting out your friends copy and paste problem to be fairly straightforward. 

Aquarius, good that your Garmin seems to be behaving now, but if the problem persists, it would be worth contacting Garmin for a replacement, on the grounds that yours isn't fit for purpose. It probably depends though on how long you have had it.

I've also enjoyed the athletics and triathlons, and am now enjoying the tennis 🎾  Wimbledon next week 😀 

Thanks, until my fall 4 weeks ago, my fitness, according to Garmin Connect was optimum, and race fit. I've been " going backwards" ever since. I'll give Sundays Race my best shot though, and not worry about race time.

Sorry to hear that wednesdays 5 miler didn't go according to plan, probably due to an over strenuous pilates, as you said. 

Meeting up with your sister and niece will be good. Decisions, decisions, deciding what day to run.

I'll be doing another Farmers Walk tomorrow, so if that goes well, it will give me more confidence.

I had a very exciting morning, drove into the village and  bought a new pair of slippers 😀. I then visited the new cafe, which also sells and buys vinyl, and enjoyed a coffee listening to the background music. I felt "quite at home " there, much better than Costa which was very busy.

Sarah H has arrived safely at Glastonbury, and I'm sure she will have a fantastic experience. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - my Father's Day present from my younger son (Amazon voucher posted to me rather than emailed), arrived on Tuesday. I've just applied it to my account and will buy something nice with it at some point. Had a chuckle at Sarah having her last shower for three days 🤣 Well done re the forest run with Mike. Had to chuckle at the excitement of you buying yourself some new slippers. I bought a cheap (last year's model) pair of Saucony Guide running shoes and I use them as my 'slippers' and never wear them outside.

Aquarius - it helps going out first thing so I get my exercise before it gets too hot. We also wondered how hygienic having food on a wooden board was. I don't know who chooses the speakers for the u3a meetings but they certainly do a good job. Glad to hear the Garmin has been behaving itself lately. Sorry to hear you had no energy on your 5ml run.

*waves* to JB

I went to see my u3a friend Neville today to look at his problems. His copy & paste 'funnies' were due to his mouse misbehaving so I've told him to upgrade to a new one and shown him the model to get from PC World. His other problems were also easily sorted out and I even managed to show him how to use his scanner from his pc.

Re HS's excitement of buying new slippers, I was joking to Margaret about the excitement of the next week's Radio Times arriving on Tuesday's. I said maybe I should start a new u3a group (GOLD - Growing Older, Living Dangerously/Disgracefully) for others who also lead similarly exciting lives 😆 

• Good afternoon all, 

WtnMel, I'm thinking my Father's Day present from my daughter will be a top, it usually is, but she has good tastes, and tries to make me look trendy 🤣 Glad that my purchase of slippers caused you to chuckle. 

I thought that it wouldn't take long for you to sort out your friends computer problems. 

That's a good idea setting up a GOLD group. That would be popular on fetcheveryone, I would think 🤔 

The farmers walk went well this morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Sunday. 

Excellent results in the two by elections, but still the old buffoon refuses to step down. I think they should send him to Rowanda where he could start a new Party.