New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - Margaret said she'll join my GOLD group if I set it up. It's coffee & chat on Monday so perhaps I'll float the idea to see if there's any interest. But I have no idea what exactly we would do as I don't know what others would consider 'dangerous' or 'disgraceful'. But I'm guessing bungee jumping would be a step too far :) Glad to hear the farmer's walk went well - good luck for Sunday.

As you say, great results in those by-elections. I see Oliver Dowden resigned but my cynical side says he probably got out early to try and not be seen to be associated with Boris and hope to get a job in the next administration. You're not the only one who would like to see Boris (and Priti) transported to Rwanda.

Golf mostly went well today. I was leading by 2 after the first 9 and was 3 ahead after the 12th. But I messed up the 13th hole when I hit the ball in the ditch twice and went from 3 shots ahead to 1 behind. Things were back to normal after that until the 17th (my 'nemesis' hole) which we both messed up. In the end Alan won by 3 shots and won more holes than me but according to the app we use, I won on points (34 to Alan's 31). So not a total disaster and my score of 111 was only 6 shots worse than my PB of 105.

Hoping to manage an early walk tomorrow morning ..
  • Wow, an explosion of posts! I've had a  couple of days break from running and posting (not a coincidence). I've read all the posts but please forgive lack of a specific response.
    2 fabulous by-election results!

Calf has greatly improved (genuinely surprised) but probably not enough for the sifen call of parkrun!

Been dog sitting today and have walked miles.

Went to a very good gig (look at me being down with the kids) last night: Rufus Wainwright, probably not as well known as his dad, Louden. He had the audience eating out of his hand. Such talent.

PS sign  me up for GOLD!!

• Well I did succumb to  temptation and ran the PR today, if not flat out.
    21.14 was OK  in windy conditions, but not as OK as a rival in my category who knocked a minute off that time thus registering my first defeat on this course in 2022.

HS, all the best for tomorrow's race.
    I saw my friend who was planning to do it but he's tweaked his back and will have to give it a miss. Look forward to your race report.

Mel, I reckon you can chalk that up as a victory for that golf game.  P. Patel's parents were economic migrants, I think. Talk about pulling up the drawbridge!

Tuned into to some of the Glastonbury coverage and I could really see the appeal. I think the sanitary issues might be a deal breaker!

Aqua, so like me did you too do a parkrun? Sorry to hear that the pilates was a bit too hardcore. I'm pretty sure the cause of my calf problem was not running but overdoing it on the balance board thing. Just to stay upright you have to engage some serious calf muscles.
    Noted that Steve did well on Father's Day! Athletics coverage on the BBC red button this afternoon.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - glad to hear the calf has improved and you've been able to walk the dog. I haven't heard anything by Rufus W but used to enjoy Loudon W III back in the day. I'll let you know if the GOLD group gets off the ground. I'm not surprised you couldn't resist doing parkrun, A 'partial' victory at golf at best to be honest thanks to the scoring system that takes into account your handicap - but I prefer the 'total' victories when I manage them! I'm recording odd bits of the Glastonbury coverage but it's not really for me. For instance, I recorded Stormzy's set from 2019 but had switched off and deleted it after 5 minutes.

HS - Sarah scrubs up well when she's not in her running stuff. I think we need an 'after' photo though when she's been there three days and not been anywhere near a shower ;)

I did manage to walk this morning - 3.6 mls @ sub-16mm pace. I was planning to cut the lawns but the sporadic showers they promised turned into very frequent ones so the dampness of the grass has put paid to that idea. 
  • Good afternoon everyone, 

WtnMel, I agree, bungee jumping would be a bit OTT. Well done for yesterday's golf match which you won on points. 

Glad you appreciated Sarah's photo. If I get one of her covered in mud, I might post it on here😁

Well done for this mornings brisk walk. 

JB, good to hear that your calf has improved. Well done for another excellent parkrun.

Thanks re tomorrows race. A pity your friend won't be able to make it. 

I watched Robert Plant last night. He was very good, but hasn't he aged. 

I'm switching between the athletics and tennis 🎾 

I'm looking forward now to tomorrows 10k, which will be my first run since Wednesday. The weather forecast is fairly positive, not too hot, with scattered showers. I don't mind running in the rain, in fact some of my my best runs have been in the rain. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel If you do manage to get the GOLD club off the ground I’ll be following their exploits with interest (if looking forward to the arrival of RT is an entry requirement I think I qualify for membership ). You’ll have to come up with a suitable club logo and motto. ;) Time to put your thinking cap on! Considering last week’s disappointing golf result this week’s was a definite improvement, especially as your score was only 6 shots worse than your PB. I’m guessing your 34 points to Alan’s 31 was by using the Stableford scoring system?

HS I’ll keep an eye of how my Garmin performs over the next few weeks (as I understand it these expired files are replaced from time to time so hopefully the problem may resolve itself). Sorry to read that you feel you are going backwards since your fall. However I’m sure that will be only temporary and you’ll soon be back to your usual excellent level of fitness. Its bad timing though for your race on Sunday, but as you say depending on how you feel on the day you could just run it without worrying too much about times. I’ll be keeping fingers crossed for you anyway. Always nice to buy something new, even if it is just a pair of slippers. Your visit to the new cafe sounded nice, a bit more relaxing than the usual crush at Costa. I hope your Father’s Day present is a good one when it arrives and makes you look super trendy. You’ll have to set us a new club with JB (who was “getting down” at a gig) for trendy oldies. Another speedy Farmer’s Walk - looking good for Sunday, I hope the knee behaves. (Just noticed your photo of Sarah - looks like she’s having fun). Also just seen you are feeling quite positive about tomorrow. Looking forward to your race report.

JB Ha ha I knew you would do parkrun today!  21.24 is a lot more than ok in my book. When you say it’s your first defeat on that course this year, do you mean you were second in your age group? Not many people would consider that as a defeat, you certainly are competitive. I think the balance board is best done little and often (or was it another one of your extreme challenges?). Yes I did do parkrun today, woefully badly (details below).

On Thursday we went to the Hoppings funfair, which is a bit of a local institution. Every July this huge funfair arrives in Newcastle and sets up on the Town Moor for a week. There’s over 400 rides etc spread out over a couple of kilometres or so. We went with our sons and the grandchildren and by the time the g’children had had their fill of junior rides, ghost trains, bouncy castles etc the light was starting to fade, then the rain arrived. I think we were all shattered with walking around so much and adults as well as kids went straight to bed when home was reached.
    We had another late night last night when we met up with my sister and niece at their hotel for a meal. It’s a fairly posh hotel where Steve and I have often meant to go for a meal, so we were really  looking forward to it. Disappointingly the service was appalling slow (the only other diners left shortly after we arrived, so the staff were hardly rushed off their feet) drinks were forgotten, or wrong ones brought, meals overcooked, and two meals with prawns in were full of bits of shells.  We felt bad about complaining, but it really was poor (and pricey) but at least the bill was adjusted to take the poor service into account. Driving home we came to the conclusion that the hotel had probably lost their usual kitchen staff and servers due to the Covid lockdowns, and the present staff were just learning their trade, so we felt quite sorry for them. Tomorrow youngest son has invited us all for a BBQ  at his house, I hope the weather holds out. At the moment it’s windy but sunny, although every now and then there’s torrential downpours. Typical British summer.
    So, parkrun today. A disappointing run, two minutes slower than my last time on this course (before I had Covid). I couldn’t have run any faster so I suppose I did my best, and did pass a few runners, but can’t get away from the fact it wasn’t a great run by any means. I noticed on the calendar that I have a 10k next month that I had totally forgotten about, on today’s showing I may need to give it a miss as it is another hilly course. 

Great by-election results. I heard BJ’s interview this morning on the Today programme, the best defence he could manage was to trot our the usual tired boasts about “delivering the vaccine programme” (I thought that was the NHS?) and successfully delivering on Brexit (try telling the Irish that) and then in blustering desperation he talked over the interviewer repeatedly and didn’t really address any of her points. I’m hoping the 1922 committee will come up with a way to show him the door. 
  • Hi all, sorry I forget to mention that we had a W85-89 runner today.
    She did an astonishing 41 min time but this was only an age grade of 76%. 

Aqua, yes I was 2nd in my age category and I'm not at all competitive......but did find out that he's a freshly minted 65 year old whereas I'm a shop spoiled 67 and a half!

• Good morning all, 

Aquarius, I hope your Garmin continues "to behave."

The race went better than expected, see below. 

It's amazing the amount of interest my purchase of a pair of slippers has caused 😀

A trendy oldies club sounds good. 

Sounds like a very tiring time at the funfair. 

What a shame, such poor service and unsatisfactory standard of food in the posh hotel. 

Sorry to hear that your parkrun didn't go as well as hoped. We all have off days. 

Boris is nothing more than a big joke, but it isn't funny anymore. He has illusions that he will remain PM for another 10 years, that definitely sends out the wrong message to us all. The thought of him lying and cheating for many more years, will surely turn more people than ever wanting him out.

JB, that's amazing, a W85-89 runner at the parkrun. I would have thought though that 41 minutes would have warranted a higher WAVA than 76%

It's never as painful when being beaten by someone younger. 

Yesterday's Exbury Gardens 10k was a great success, with 862 runners turning up. I ran much better than expected, considering my hit and miss training in the 4 weeks since my fall. I came 357th, and 7th out of 17 in the 70 to 79 age category. The six that finished ahead of me were all younger, so I don't feel so bad about it. My chip time was 57.52, a WAVA of 69.39%

There was very heavy rain this morning, so thankfully the race was yesterday. I just did a 1.35 mile recovery run on roads. 
  • HS, well done. A good time, position and age grade. Checking out the ages of the guys that beat you is exactly the sort of thing I'd do!
    I watched the athletics on the BBC iplayer and enjoyed it although there was a pretty paltry crowd. A shame.
    Also watched Diana Ross from Glastonbury and her voice definitely showed signs of age. However, she went down a storm with the crowd.
    It just looks such a joyous event.

My running news is that I'm targeting a 10k event 4 weeks away.
    I've got to add some mileage to adapt from my usual 5k regime, especially as I'm after sub 44. So Sunday I did an easy 50 minutes and today 40 mins including 5x4mins fast with 4 minutes slow jogs. Some of these were into a strong wind and were hard.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I'd be disappointed if you got a photo of Sarah covered in mud and didn't share it with us. I've recorded Robert Plant, Paul McCartney and the Pet Shop Boys but not found time to watch any of them yet. We do live 'exciting' lives so no surprise your new slippers caused much excitement here :) Glad to read you had a good result at the Exbury Gardens 10k considering your interrupted training.

Aquarius - I didn't find a suitable opportunity to raise the suggestion of a GOLD group so it'll have to wait for another time. Yes, that's correct - the 34 pts vs 31pts I mentioned was using the Stableford system. The fair (Hoppings) sounds huge - no wonder you were worn out after walking around all the rides. Shame that meal at the posh hotel was such a disappointment - as you say, maybe the previous staff left due to covid and it's still trying to get back to it's previous standards. I hope the weather behaves for your bbq at your son's house. Sorry to hear parkrun was disappointing - but I know you've been struggling lately to regain your form. I wouldn't blame you for giving that hilly 10k a miss.

JB - I think we all guessed you'd do parkrun despite any lingering injuries. Shame about that 'young' 65 yr old stealing your thunder ;) Good luck with your training over the coming weeks for that forthcoming 10k.

I did a pre-breakfast 3ml brisk walk earlier on then went to coffee & chat mid-morning. Just the five of us today (some are away on a u3a holiday) so not too many conflicting conversations going on at the same time. 

In other news - I've finally got round to booking an appointment at the opticians. as my last one was in Dec 2018.

And I've chased up Sainsbury's (via a message) as my replacement card still hasn't arrived ..

=====
    Edited:
    ===== 

Aquarius - I forgot to ask if I could pick your brains! We're heading north in September for the skinny-dip and as part of our 'road trip' we're going to visit Margaret's uncle who lives on the southern side of Sunderland. We're thinking we'll see about staying somewhere near or on the coast between Alnmouth and Newcastle/South Shields for a couple of days before heading to Ashington. Would you have any suggestions of places to look at/places to avoid?
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Just stopped by to say we were hoping to go walking on Cleeve Hill today but it's breezy here in the village and we can see by the speed of the clouds it's very windy up there. So instead, we've decided on the spur of the moment, to go for a ride on the local steam railway that goes from Cheltenham racecourse to a village called Broadway.

And I posted on the coffee & chat whatsapp group about my idea for a GOLD group to add some excitement to our lives and I've already got several of them saying it sounds like fun and they're interested. I'll let you know as and when things develop ..
  • Mel, hope you enjoyed your steam train ride, a lovely spontaneous decision. Are you (still?) timing your 3 mile walks? 

Not much to report here. Another run for me today, this time 30 mins plus, up and down some slopes (I can't really  call them hills). I felt pretty good.....

....this might be due to having lost a bit of weight. I was already at my lowest for a good few years, but in the last couple of days I've tried to control my snacking and I'm down to just over 9st 7lbs. This is almost solely driven by my determination to give me the best chance of a decent time in the target 10k.Id be happy with this weight but if I could shave off another couple of pounds I'm sure I'd see the benefits.

It's happened again, I was nearly finished when it disappeared. I thought that the fault had been corrected, but apparently not so. I'll try again.

JB, thanks, I was pleased with my time, considering that my training has been sporadic since my fall. 

I watched some of Paul McCartney's performance on i player, and was very impressed.

I hope your training for the 10k will be injury free. You have the pace, and just need to work on your stamina and endurance. Sub 44 minutes is a tough target, but I feel confident that you will achieve it.

I was 9st 7lbs when I was at my peak fitness, in my forties, and am between 9st 7lbs and 10st nowadays. I don't weigh myself very often.

WtnMel, I'm sorry to say that I don't have any photos of Sarah covered in mud.

Perhaps I should have raced in my new slippers, that would have been exciting🤣

Your coffee and chat after your brisk walk yesterday, sounds good.

It's good that you have finally got round to booking an appointment with the optician, I have my test every second year.

I hope your Sainsbury's replacement card soon arrives, and that you enjoyed the ride on the steam train.

Good news about the possible GOLD group.

It rained very heavily yesterday morning, so I just ran a recovery pace 1.3 miles on roads.

Today is a running rest day, but I did the usual Farmers Walk.

There's been some real excitement here this afternoon. A couple of New Forestry Commission vehicles arrived with heavy lifting equipment and a digger, and they filled in the large deep hole, which was left after the fallen tree was removed. It took them several hours to complete the job, which they covered with top soil. It shouldn't be long before grass starts appearing.
  • HS, how tall are you? I'm a shorty, 5 foot 6.
    Hope the farmers walk went OK.
    We had a downpour this morning. Unfortunately it coincided exactly with my bike ride  to see some old pals. I've never invested in the cycling kit for wet weather, so after a 40 minute ride I sat in a cafe for 2 hours soaked and steaming. By the time I returned home the sun was out so I dried off.
    Off to the allotment this afternoon.
    So no running but 2 different episodes of cross training.
  • John, I'm 5ft 9inches tall. The farmers walk went well yesterday. 

We haven't had any rain sofar today. It must have been very uncomfortable sitting for 2 hours in a cafe soaking wet.
    When I used to cycle, I had a yellow cape, and yellow waterproof trousers. It did the job!

This morning was a good workout in the forest, comprising 2 sets of 5 x 200 metres with 30 seconds recoveries, followed by a 1k round the field. Not one of my quickest sessions, being so soon after Sundays race. 
  • HS, nice session. It promp

ts the question of what is your next target event?

I remember those huge yellow capes! 

It's funny but I had a paper round for a few years and biked to school for more years and I can never remember getting wet!

Went out intending to fo a steady 8k in 40 mins but, with a following wind, found myself running quicker than this and got into a nice rhythm.
    So I maintained this heading back into the wind and ended up with a 37.54 and not too tired. I take this as a good sign.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - the steam train ride was good fun. The station at Broadway is a half-mile from the village but we had time to walk there and get some lunch before heading back to catch one of the return trains. Yes, I still time my 3ml morning walks when I go out - but I've not done many this week for various reasons. Glad to hear you felt good on your run. I've been losing weight recently and am now down to 14st (7lbs less than earlier this year) - which puts your 9st lbs into perspective. Oh dear re getting soaked through on your bike ride - and it sounds like you had a good run this morning.

HS - sorry to see you've been having problems with losing posts again. Well done re the farmers walk and recovery run. Heavy lifting equipment arriving is always a bit out of the ordinary and exciting. I see you've also managed a good intervals session.

The new GOLD group seems to have struck a chord. We are now thinking it will be an ad-hoc group where we might come up with ideas and then see what other u3a members are interested. Between them the GOLD'ers have suggested a zip wire ride, parachute jump, kayaking, roller-coaster rides amongst many other suggestions.

Garden waste collection tomorrow and although it was forecast showers today, it was sunny earlier. So I nipped out quick and did the lawns and cut back some of the hedge. So it can rain as much as it likes now.

Still no sign of my replacement Sainsbury's credit card - as companies slow to respond go, they are currently heading for first place in my league table. If it takes much longer I think I'll request a credit card from my bank and cancel the Sainsbury's one (which will probably take them a month to action!).

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popped back to say ..

I checked the Sainsbury's website earlier and there was still no response from them to my messages asking for an update. So I've left a slightly snotty reply to their last message to me listing the reasons why I'm unhappy with their (lack of!) service and telling them I'm closing my account.

I found I was able to close the account via a 'Can we help' link and have put in my closure request.

In the meantime I logged on to my banking website and cancelled the direct debit with Sainsbury's. And I applied for one of their credit cards and have had my request approved. And I've already had an email letting me know my new credit card is on it's way - that's a bit more like it.

Perhaps Sainsbury's should stick to selling food and drink! 🤬
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Loads of posts again, lots going on I see. Quick catch up - 

HS Congratulations - what a great result at the Exbury Gardens 10k, particularly after your horrible fall recently. It just goes to show the level of fitness you manage to maintain. A good session on Wednesday too, The consistency of your training is quite impressive, you never take the easy option of a lighter session however you are feeling. I imagine it is the Farmer’s Walk again today?

JB Exciting to have a 10k lined up. I’m sure you’ll smash your target time as your recent training runs have been very encouraging, particularly yesterday’s windy run. Does your 10k take place on roads or trail? (Parkrun or not this weekend?)

WtnMel A steam train ride, what fun, it’s ages since I’ve been on a steam train. Funnily enough we’re returning the visit to my sister and niece in September (in Torquay) and I’ve noticed there is a steam train ride just along the coast from them. Might see if we can fit that in. Sorry to hear about the problems with your Sainsbury’s card, what a pain. I’m glad to see your suggestion of a GOLD group is gaining ground, there’s some scary suggestions though, I think I may have to reconsider joining, anticipating the arrival of the RT is quite enough excitement for me.  :)
    I haven’t forgotten about your enquiry regarding places to look at in this area. Are you looking for suggestions for accommodation or just places to visit? 

It’s all been a bit hectic here with the visit of my sister and niece, too many late nights and too much over indulging. Can’t do it these days, must be getting old  ;)  
    A slow 6 mile run on Monday (bleary-eyed after a late night family meal at son’s) and another late night at the posh hotel again on Monday night, but this time for a bar meal. We went early while it was quiet and the food was better, but we had to complain about a number of overhead lights which were flickering constantly, just in the edge of your vision, like flashlights going off. Eventually, after some time the overhead lights stopped flickering, but then the wall lights took over. The young lad who was serving us admitted it had been a problem for some time, but they usually “just turn the lights up or down to fix it”, so presumably they were dimmable lights. I think a visit from an electrician might be a better idea. Then on Tuesday I found a 5 minute warm up video on Youtube that I thought I’d do before Pilates. It was billed as being suitable before a run or any other form of exercise so I thought I’d try it out. I already do pre-run 5 minute gentle stretching/warm up session that is specifically for runners, but the one I did on Tuesday turned out to be a very energetic aerobic warm up, and was the longest 5 minutes of my life. Not surprisingly I was quite sore on Wednesday and haven’t run since, partly from aches and pains, and partly lingering tiredness from the weekend. I had intended to run this morning but went for an hour’s walk yesterday along some overgrown paths at the coast while Steve did a repair job on his boat. I’d forgotten that the pollen count was high and I’m suffering today as a result. Hopefully I’ll feel a bit more energised tomorrow because I’d like to do the hilly parkrun in the local woods to see if I think next week’s 10k trail run in the same location is a possibility. I’m one of those people who hates taking any type of medication, but as the pollen count is forecast to continue to be high or even very high I think I may have to start taking antihistamines.
    I’ve just realised this has turned into another one of my “moaning posts”, so I might as well round it off with another moan - despite arriving on time at the dentist yesterday for my 6 monthly check up appointment I had almost an hour’s wait. We recently had a letter from the practice offering us the chance to go private, which we declined. A number of dentists there have stopped doing NHS work now, so I suppose the remaining NHS ones must have to pick up the slack as I was told my next 6 monthly check up would be in 9 months due to the backlog they had. (I blame Boris, well why not?)

• john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Mel, not surprised at the incompetence you've encountered at Sainsburys, as they once employed a 16 year old me. That alone shows a lack of judgment!

Aqua, sorry to hear of all your niggles. I advise you to go the whole Hong and name Johnson (I refuse to call him Boris) for each and every one of them!

Today was meant to be a no run day and a leisurely bike ride to meet a friend. But the howling game along the seafront turned the bike ride into one of the hardest aerobic sessions I've done all year.

Chichester parkrun tomorrow, 3 laps, quite hilly, very posh.

PS my target 10k race is 'flat and fast' and on roads. But before that I'm lining up one on a race track, Dunsfold, where they film Top Gear which is not my cup of tea. Now that should be fast!

JB, I'm hoping to do the Bartley parkrun tomorrow, but my next race will be the New Forest Half Marathon in September. 

Well done for yesterdays 8k, that was an excellent time. I don't think you need to lose any more weight!

WtnMel, well done for losing 7lbs, and that's without running!

The GOLD'ers suggestions sound a bit extreme to me!

You did the right thing by cancelling your direct debit with Sainsburys, and ordering a credit card from your Bank. 

Aquarius, thanks, I was very pleased with my race result. I was a bit apprehensive about my knee, so didn't push the pace as hard as I would have, without the fall.

Yes, the Farmers Walk this morning. It seems to be getting easier, so I must be getting stronger.

I'm the same as I've got older. I can't drink like I used to, which is probably a good thing. I also eat healthier and classify my self as a vegetarian, although my daughter says I'm not, as I eat fish. 

Sorry to hear that you are now aching, after your run on Monday, energetic stretching on Tuesday and run on Wednesday. Probably a good idea not to run today, after yesterdays one hour walk. I hope you run well in tomorrows hilly parkrun.

My dentist went private quite a few years ago. We didn't have a choice, we either accepted, or would have to go elsewhere. I decided to accept, and took out a Dental Plan. The advantage of going private, is that I can be seen for emergencies etc at short notice, without having to wait for many months. I think the majority of dentists in the New Forest Region are Private, and have stopped taking on NHS patients. 

Yesterday I jogged round one of our very first road virtual 5k's, and quite enjoyed it. I was overtaken half way up a hill by a younger male runner, and resisted the temptation to overtake him back. I must have had my sensible hat on! I'm hoping to do the Bartley parkrun tomorrow, as I stated in my reply to JB above.
  • Good luck at Bartley HS. I can't join you as I'm seeing my sister after my excursion to Chichester. One sister moving from Bognor to Southampton; the other lives in Havant. Still intend to do Bartley soonish and will let you know in case you are free. Look forward to reading your analysis of the course.
  • Thanks John, I'll be running with Sarah F, but I expect she will finish ahead of me. I'll do a write up afterwards. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to parkrun reports from those who ran it today. Mine was another disappointing one, as with last week I was 2 minutes slower than my most recent pre Covid run on this course (Chopwell Woods, another hilly one). It's not just the slower time that is disappointing, I'm really struggling with energy and breath. I definitely won't be doing the 10k here next weekend. I'll probably do parkrun again, and hope that I can manage to get a better result.
  • Aqua, sorry to hear this. Covid related?
    I enjoyed my Chichester run as did Mrs JB. Not the easiest of courses as quite a few turns and a bit of a hill, but not bad.

21.39 gave me a category win and an age grade that was the 3rd best of the day. My time is the 4th best in my age category since the event started.

Mrs JB came 4th out of 8and liked the course.

Aquarius, sorry to hear that you are struggling with your running, with lack of energy and breath. This does appear to be the after effects of Covid. I hope that you are feeling better for next weeks parkrun, and that Steve is fully recovered. 

JB, well done to you and Mrs JB, for enjoying your Chichester runs. Congratulations to you for your category win, and 4th in your age category since the start of the event. Well done to Mrs JB, for her 4th out 8, and enjoyment of the course. 

I ran the Bartley parkrun this morning with Sarah F, and it was my second one. I was 40 seconds quicker than the first in 27.46, 1st MV75 -79, and 73rd out of 132 finishers. My WAVA was 69.48%.
  • HS, congratulations on a very good run.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    John that is a great result, well done on another category win and an excellent age grade position. Congratulations to Mrs JB too.
    HS Well done for knocking 40 seconds off your previous time, and for winning your age category. A great WAVA for you also. 
    I've checked the results for my parkrun (trying to find a positive :)) and the best I can console myself with is -
    !st in age category (well ok, I was the only one in VW65-69)
    13th best WAVA (although that was only 61.43%)
    The worst part of it is I managed to get past two heavy looking gentlemen who then passed me on one of the hills. When I was overtaken by the first one he took one look at me and asked if I was okay, when the other one passed me a few moments later he held his hand out to me to help me up the hill! I declined the offer with dignity, but thanked him at the end of the run. I must have looked pretty pathetic at the time.
    I think catching Covid probably hasn't helped my fitness, but hopefully it won't be long lasting. I'll keep chipping away at it, my next goal is a 10k trail race in August. 
    Speaking of Covid, the rates are rising around here quite quickly. Our neighbour runs a fitness class and has caught Covid from a client. She arrived at his class with a cough but assured him she'd taken a test and was negative. Later in the week she contacted him to advise she was now positive. Heaven knows how many people they'd both been in contact with in the meantime.