Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    HS, the legs are a but stiff today so no run. I did cycle a couple of miles to meet a friend for coffee. En route the heavens opened and I got drenched but the rain is so welcome that I cared not a jot!
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Afternoon all

It’s hot again here today, I hope that bit of rain yesterday morning isn’t our total allocation for the week. 

WtnMel I had to smile at the report of the on-going problems at your old bowls club, sounds like you are well out of it. There always seems to be a clash of personalities and views when volunteers get together to run an organisation.

HS I’m guessing your left knee must’ve improved judging by you being able to do those hill reps today? Good job you got them done before the rain started.

JB 70 minutes of hard hill running? You must be very fit. It must be all that work you do at the allotment.

The Garmin plan had a 3 mile easy run down for today, fortunately I got it done before it got too hot. Time trial for tomorrow, then nothing until Sunday, which is lucky as we have a wedding to attend on Saturday (an all day one, can’t see us lasting the course).
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Time Trial today, 2 mile warm up, 1 mile fast, 1 mile cool down. Bit pathetic at 10.00 min miling for fast mile, just no energy to go any faster. I just got finished in time, as two large dogs appeared, coming hell for leather towards me over the fields (owner some way off in the distance), I was convinced I was in trouble but luckily they veered around just before they reached me and charged off in a different direction (I think the owner must have called them or blew a whistle or something) so I made an undignified exit down the grassy bank a lot faster than I'd intended. No other incidents until I'd finished my workout and was stretching on the access path that leads off the Derwent Walk back on to the estate, when a man and his dog appeared. Long story (and you must be sick of hearing about my dog episodes) so I'll just say I'll be on the look out for that dog again.
    Off now to get a voucher for Saturday's wedding (cash has been requested rather than presents :o) then to the physio to check my calves. 
  • Options
    Aqua, my goodness you do have trouble with dogs where you are. Must be a real concern as I guess you spend a lot of time scanning the horizon. A shame you couldn't have out that adrenaline to use in your time trial. Good to get that under your belt. Your mention of the wedding made me reflect that we haven't been to one for ages. Funerals on the other hand....  

The run on Tuesady must have been tough as it gave me DOMS. This is most unusual as I'm running races on a weekly basis and have been training hard. I think the cause might be a change in my style of running downhill. I'm  very poor at this and the other day someone gave me a tip about 'picking', which I take to mean running downhill in a more controlled style while not losing pace. Given that downhill is far harder on muscles than uphill, it makes sense that my legs have to adjust.

Today I was at it again but not as intense or fast. 30 minutes in the cemetery with a few gentle slopes and some medium effort intervals.

Really enjoying the athletics.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, there is a definite knack in running downhill, as it can affect the knees. That is why downhill efforts in training is not recommended too regularly. Most of my hillwork is hard up and easy down. A good idea having an easier work out today.

Aquarius, yes my left knee "held up" ok during yesterdays hill reps, but did start aching a bit during the jog back home.

Sounds like a good time trial this morning, and 10 minute for a mile in these hot and humid conditions is quite respectable. You seem to attract dogs during your runs, but it does highlight the number of irresponsible dog owners that don't keep their dogs under control.

A money voucher for a wedding present, makes it easier than trying to chose something suitable. I remember the days when couples complained about getting "numerous toasters"

I hope your visit to the physio proves successful. Sarah H is still having problems with her calf when trying to run, but thankfully, she can still cycle and walk pain free. 

Have you managed to input the parkrun codes into your garmin watch?

I suffered an awful stomach upset yesterday evening. I'm blaming it on a new brand of vegi mince that I hadn't tried before, as the supermarket didn't have the usual quorn mince. I can't think of any other factor. I did some shopping this morning, and was able to buy quorn mince. I put the vegi mince in the bin, as I didn't want to risk another stomach upset. 

I didn't run today, but walked to and from the supermarket "just a lightweight Farmers Walk," and did a lot of stretches etc before lunch.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - glad to hear the laptop is back online. That was nice of the Sarah's to get the respective photos of you and them at races framed for you. Well done re your hill reps session with your clubmates. I vaguely recall when I got married we gave people a list of things we would need. I think we still ended up with 4 tea sets though. Sorry to hear about the stomach upset brought on by the sound of it, by the veggie mince.

JB - I'm not sure I'd qualify as having thrown myself into village life despite the u3a groups I belong to. Bishops Cleeve is described as an 'urbanised' village these days and has lots and lots of estates around the 'old' centre. So it's not the small, quaint place you may be imagining where everyone knows each other (and their business!). Well done re that hardcore 'hills' session - not surprised to read on and hear you had DOMS a couple of days later. Obviously I'm no longer running but I was advised to try and not hold myself back too much and run freely and let gravity take over when running downhill (brain off, brakes off was the phrase they used!).

Aquarius - I was non-committal when speaking to the people from the bowls club but I won't be rushing back any time soon. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your time trial. And that you had yet more problems with dogs. Hope the wedding goes off okay and you last the course - and that the physio sorts out your calves.

We have a glut of plums at the moment - it's the first good crop we've had and last year was the first time we put some of that anti-pest ribbon around the trunks and painted them with something similar. I can't imagine that's just a coincidence so we'll do the same again in the autumn. Our cleaner took away a load of plums and if we still have too many, I'll see if some of my u3a ladies want any.

We've been out for a meal today, checking out places to take Margaret's sister at the end of the month. We tried a hotel in the Montpellier area - very disappointing. But it gives us an excuse to try somewhere else on Saturday (Margaret says she will pay again as it's her sister we're looking at places for - and besides, it saves her cooking something!)

Margaret took he car to the local 'French Car' garage today - she had a problem yesterday where all the dials suddenly dropped to zero then came back to normal. This happened twice so she came home and cancelled her planned meet-up with a friend. The garage couldn't find any faults when they ran some diagnostics but suspected it's an earthing problem. The battery was a bit low - due to too many short journeys - so they charged it up to rule that out as a cause. Unfortunately, their resident electrical engineer is on holiday. It's safe to drive the car until the week after next when the electrical engineer will be back. Best of all - because all they did was charge the battery and run diagnostics, they didn't charge Margaret anything.

Talking of charging batteries, I've remembered to charge up my golf trolley one ready for tomorrow. It's a fairly flat course but even so, it's nice not to have to push it along and to save my energy for the golf itself.
  • Options
    Mel, you could earn some money on the side by being a restaurant critic.Sorry to hear about the car problem. Cars are now so much more reliable than the old bangers my dad had and then ours when we first married. I remember a Fiat 127, bought from new, that had such a bad gear box that I had to change gear with 2 hands once! Pushing a golf trolley must be great exercise, especially if someone is sitting in it at the time.
    Give that Alan a good thrashing today!

HS, sorry to hear of the tummy trouble. You are generally speaking safer with vegetable products but of course that's not 100%. Mrs JB has IBS and it doesn't take much to trigger it. Parkrun for you tomorrow? Should be pleasant weather.

Rest day for me today. Grandkiddies day which tires me out far more than an intensive training session. Mrs JB is taking them to the pictures this afternoon. Money well spent.

Planning to take my son to watch or local football team tomorrow (after having shown him a clean pair of heels in the Parkrun in the morning!). The club is playing in the highest league since I've been watching them (60 years!).
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Just popping in briefly (on my phone) to say our electricity went off yesterday teatime, came back on this morning for a couple of hours then went off again at 10 am. No indication on service providers site of when it is likely to be fixed. Both my laptop and phone are low on power so I’ll post more fully when they’re charged up again.
  • Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, I haven't a clue what was on our wedding list, 52 years ago.

Will you and Margaret be making jam with the plumbs?

You seem to be going out for lots of meals these days, and compiling critiques!

Sorry to hear about the problems with Margaret's car. Hopefully the resident electrical engineer will be able to sort things out. My first car was a second hand Fiat, I can't remember the model. I'd only had it a few weeks, and was driving to work, when a lorry pulled out from a side road on my left right in front of me, and I smashed right into the side of it. This was in the days when seat belts weren't compulsory, but thankfully, I was wearing mine, otherwise, I would have gone through the windscreen! I got more from the insurance than I paid for the car, so was able to buy a better one. I think it was a Ford Estate Car.

Good that you remembered to charge up your golf trolley battery for todays match. I hope that you beat Alan!

JB, thanks, it's very unusual for me to have an upset stomach, so I'm fairly sure it was the vegie mince.

Yes, I'm doing the Bartley Park parkrun again tomorrow. Sarah F won't be running, as she will be handing out the finishing numbers. That will be good, as she was disappointed that she didn't hand out my finishing medal at the Exbury 10k, so will be "making do" with my finishing number😀 I'll try to do an impressive sprint finish! Make the most of your rest day today.

Good luck in tomorrows parkrun with your son, you will probably need to be on top form to beat him! I hope your local football club wins.

Aquarius, sorry to hear about your loss of electricity, and hope it won't be too long before it comes back on.

No running for me today. I got soaked by the heavy rain, this morning, waling to and from the supermarket, and then, true to form it stopped when I got home. It's been sunny all afternoon.
  • Options
    Another lowlife scammer has posted. I've flagged it, and 4 more needed to get rid of it!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    I've flagged the spammer - I'll give rwspamkiller 1 & 2 a prod in the morning ;)

A flying visit from me as Margaret has just shouted that she's dishing up dinner shortly. Just wanted to let you know that my foot has survived playing golf and didn't give me any problems. Oh yes - and I won by one shot! ;)

It was actually a 'total victory' under Alan's rules - I beat him by one shot, I scored more points than him and I won more holes.

I'll catch up properly tomorrow - off for my dinner now and a celebratory glass of wine.
  • Options
    Mel, well  done! You are on fire. Await phone call from Ryder Cup team captain....And good news about the foot.

HS, great to see the rain, but less fun when you get caught In it. How Bartley went well. Someone's uploaded a video of it on You Tube and it looks like a nice course but we quite a lit of turns.

Aqua, a power cut is even less fun than being caught in heavy rain. Hope it's all be sorted.

Nearly 500 at parkrun. 20.40 got me 44th, 1st in age cat and 6th best AG. I must be getting greedy as I was a bit disappointed given that conditions were nearly perfect. Some folk are just never satisfied!
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, well done, glad to hear that your foot seems ok, and that you beat Alan in your golf match.

JB, the Bartley Park parkrun went well thanks, and my Vo2 max is now 50, which I think is the max for my age category. It was very hot again, and I started off cautiously, as my left knee is still a bit niggly. It's definitely not a pb parkrun course. There are two repeating laps, with lots of twists and turns, including u turns round bollards. 

Well done for your parkrun, another excellent time! You didn't say whether you finished ahead of your son?
  • Options
    HS, well done, especially on the V02 max.

Yes beat my son by exactly 1 minute.

• Options
    JB, thanks and well done for finishing a minute ahead of your son!
  • Options
    Thanks HS. Had a session a bit like one of yours today. Not quite in a forest but in the woods with a mixed gender group. A very relaxing 5-6 miles (deliberately left the Garmrmin at home) with a fair amount of chatting. Nice to have a run where I feel I've no pressure.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

JB, sounds like a nice relaxing run. It's always good running with no pressure. Our Monday runs are like that, chatty, and at an easy pace, with some walking on occasions. 

I ran a solo 7 miles in the forest this morning. Both knees were aching, so I took it really easily. 
  • Options
    The spammer has been removed 😀
  • Options
    A rest day for me today. Went with a friend to one of those art trails, this one in very posh Arundel. One of our former colleagues is involved and was kind enough to invite us for a preview.
    My takeaway from this was that if you could overdose on good taste then I'd now be in A&E!

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    HS Sorry to hear about your stomach upset, but lucky you’ve been able to work out what caused it, so can avoid it happening again. I have to confess I haven’t got around to putting the parkrun barcode into my Garmin yet, I’ve been rather busy plus I had that power cut (more on that later). Also I knew I wasn’t doing parkrun at the weekend due to the wedding, but I’m hoping to get myself better organised this week and get the barcode done. Having said that, I came back from the wedding on Saturday with a sore throat and am now full of cold (not Covid fortunately - I’ve tested myself). It struck me that it’s a bit of a novelty having a cold. Because we haven’t gone anywhere much during the last couple of years we’ve avoided any germs that may have been circulating, so have been free of coughs and colds for ages. I’m hoping this one will clear up by Saturday so I can do parkrun, I’ve got a return match with the physio before that on Thursday, plus a hair appointment, so I really need to get rid of this cold asap. Sorry to hear that Sarah is still having problems with her calf. I hope it gets better soon, it must be very frustrating for her. Last Thursday the physio had a good “go” at my left calf, a lot of painful work done on pressure points plus some ultrasound and (new to me) a massage gun on the meaty bit of the calf. It seems my calves (left mainly) are very tight, and I’ve been advised to do active calf stretching each day, not wear my slippers around the house, always wear my compression sleeves when running and continue with tennis ball rolling. I think we both agreed that we’d been tinkering with the problem for some time and now we needed to really sort it out, as the calf problem also accounts for my constantly tight left hamstrings. So I’m back there again on Thursday for more torture, and as I’ve a couple of 10ks coming up, a series of 5ks and XC starts next month it’ll only get worse if I don’t bite the bullet now. Gosh, I can’t believe your VO2 max is now 50, that’s amazing, well done for a great parkrun, but a bit concerning that your knees are a bit niggly at the moment. Take care.

JB Parkrun congratulations to you too, I bet your son was a bit miffed at being beaten by his dad. I liked the sound of your run yesterday in the woods, it's very relaxing to run with others and not be bothered by times etc. Lucky you having a culture packed day at Arundel today, it seems ages since I’ve been to any museums or galleries. 

WtnMel I hope Margaret gets that electrical problem sorted out on her car, it sounds a bit of an odd thing to happen. Fingers crossed she doesn’t have any more problems before the engineer is back from holiday. Have you managed to find a suitable restaurant for when your visitors arrive?  Excellent news about your golf win, and a real win on all counts by the sounds of it. I trust you enjoyed your well deserved celebratory glass of wine.

No running for me due to this cold, but I’m hoping that tomorrow, or Wednesday at the latest, i should be back on course with the Garmin training plan. The wedding went off well, although the hotel it took place in was freezing. Someone should tell them that on a cold day with heavy rain you don’t need air conditioning. We arrived just after 10.00 am as requested (wedding at 11.00) and stayed until around 6 pm (lunch wasn’t until nearly 3pm - I thought I was going to pass out with hunger :# ). My sore throat started mid afternoon and I felt steadily worse after that. It didn’t help that when we left we got soaked going back to the car. When we got home I felt utterly drained so I took a paracetamol and went to bed. 

As you’ve probably guessed by the length of this post we’ve got our power back on, at least for the moment. It’s an odd tale, it seems the sub station that serves the estate had a High Voltage issue of some description and is temporarily out of use. The utility service provider brought in a generator as a back up, which is how our power supply was restored early Friday morning. However after an hour or so it went off again and, after extensive investigations were carried out, all residents were instructed to turn off their solar panels as apparently they were feeding back power to the generator causing it to “blow” because it couldn’t cope with the uptake of power. Once we’d all done that (or at least those of us not on holiday etc) the power came back on. They think it will take at least two weeks to repair the sub station so in the meantime we are at the mercy of this dodgy generator. It all sounds a bit odd to me, after all solar panels have been around for ages so surely there are generators available that can cope with them?  I’m now obsessed with keeping my phone and laptop fully charged in case we lose our power again, so if you'll excuse me......
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, glad that you have had a rest day, and made good use of it by visiting Arundel art trails.

Aquarius, thanks, it must have been the mince. Good luck for setting up the parkrun barcode and qr code to your garmin. It should be straight forward following the instructions. It works well for the scanners, and quite a few runners have it now. 

Sorry to hear that you now have a sore throat and cold since returning from the wedding on Saturday. They do seem to be a bit of a rarity this year. Hopefully it will have cleared up in time for Saturdays parkrun.

Sarah's calf does seem to be better now, and I think she is intending to run on Wednesday. I hope Thursdays session with the physio did help with your calf and tight left hamstrings, and next Thursday will be the last session that you need. 

I'm very pleased with my 50% Vo2 max, as that is the maximum for my age category, and in the top 1%. Thanks, I'm being careful with my legs, but still running.

It does sound as if Saturdays wedding is to blame for your cold. Freezing cold, hunger and getting soaked whilst returning to the car. Very sensible going to bed with a paracetamol.

I hope the generator doesn't let you down leaving you with no power. Good idea keeping your phone and laptop fully charged, whilst you can.

I ran 10.36 miles in the forest this morning with the Monday Group. Some of the regulars were otherwise engaged, but there were two newcomers, Tracy who has run Mondays before, and Babs. who hasn't. Mike also joined us for half of the run, as he had a dentist appointment. Both legs were aching, but I was able to keep running. It's not long now until  the NF half marathon on11th September. Today was the last lsd run, so we will be easing back on the training. It rained during the last couple of miles, which was quite refreshing.

Just had an email from British Gas advising that as I was on a fixed price tariff, my charges won't increase until the end of the contract in December!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Been busy dealing with a problem with my computer and doing stuff for the swim club, hence my non-appearance these last few days.

JB - re your comment, Alan and I have never ridden on our electric trolleys (maybe you had in mind a four-wheeled golf buggy?). 

Aquarius - I see you had your power go off but it's back now but via a generator. I don't understand the comments about you needing to turn off your solar panels as I doubt they generate that much electricity .. but that's just my guess and I've no idea how many houses there are. Sorry to hear you've returned from the wedding with a cold. I'm not familiar with the massage gun you mentioned re your calf problems. But stretching the calves - and soleus (bottom of calf) - plus hamstrings are all stretches I have on my regular routine. Margaret has decided not to risk using her car again before next week when the garage will look at it. She's re-scheduled one meeting she was supposed to have and instead of driving to her book group tomorrow, I'm dropping her off in town and she'll get the bus instead. We went out for a meal - again! - at another place and this one fitted the bill. So Margaret booked it for Saturday there and then and has emailed her sister to tell her it has been booked (it was on their 'approved' list). 

HS - I guess Margaret may make jam with the plums. But tbh, I think these days she finds that too much hassle so they'll probably re-appear in crumbles and the like. Bad luck I see that you got rained on walking to the supermarket and then it stopped when you got home. Sorry to hear your knee has been a bit niggly at parkrun. I see you said the spammer has been removed - I didn't get round to prodding rwspamkillers 1 & 2 to make an appearance so unsure how that happened.

I decided it was time to re-instate the early-morning walks now my foot seems to be better. I went out and did 3mls before breakfast - then had an 'extra' 1.5ml walk this morning to take a duplicate Sunday paper back to the shop. Our one got delivered to a neighbour - Margaret was walking past the shop so picked up a replacement - then the neighbours posted it though our letter box later on. It was still pristine so I don't think they'd read it first! :)

I'm planning to take a look under the bonnet of Margaret's car to see if there's any sort of earthing (grounding) strap that needs tightening/re-seating as that's one of the things people say to check that can cause the weird problem with the dials dropping away and not functioning. I changed the fuse for the dashboard instruments in case that was a problem but that didn't make any difference.

Alan seems to be being a bit of a pain in the a**e about Fri's golf. An irritating pain in the a**e because he emailed me on Fri evening querying the points and quoting some figures I didn't recognise at all. I replied explaining I thought the points were correct and asking him to explain how he got to the figures he quoted in his email. That was on Fri evening and since then - nothing. I've been patiently waiting but he's still not replied so I've just sent yet another reply asking if he can explain how he worked out those points and what the problem was. Or possibly is? He's coming across as a sore loser and I find it really irritating he didn't respond over the weekend given he was emailing me a couple of hours after we played on Fri and obviously a bit upset about something. 
  • Options
    Good morning everyone, 

WtnMel, our posts crossed!
    I can imagine jam making being a bit of an hassle. 

Thanks, the niggle was probably caused by pushing too hard in the parkruns.

I don't know either, how the spammer was deleted without the 5 ticks. Perhaps it was by someone who reads our posts, but doesn't post themselves that ticked.

Glad to hear that you have reinstated your morning walks, now that your foot is  better. 

I hope your looking under the bonnet of Margaret's car, identifies the problem. 

It certainly sounds like Alan is a bad loser,  and the fact that he hasn't replied to your emails, seems like he is sulking.

A running rest day today for me, but I've done the Farmers Walk, and the legs seemed ok.
  • Options
    Aqua, sorry to hear about your cold but theres something old school and reassuring about a cold. Not that they are fun.

Mel, crikey, is Alan showing his true colours? I like to think that you can be competitive without being a bad loser. A mate of mine had a saying: a good scorer always beats a good player. Alan's behaviour reminded me of this.

HS, you'll want to keep monitoring this knees. The NF HM isn't far away?

Really cool weather today. I went out early for a 30 minute run around the cemetery which I found harder than I should have.
    Then a 5 mike walk in some woods with old colleagues followed by a long drawn out pub lunch. Made the mistake of having a pint with my lunch which combined with the fresh air and exercise made me very sleepy late afternoon.

I've now booked my/our bank holiday long weekend
    Saturday - parkrun, probably Winchester
    Sunday - Pershore 10k
    Monday - Leominster 10k

This is the first time I've ever run 3 races in 3 days. I'm 67 with a body showing my age and I know that I can't resist the temptation to go fast and won't be happy unless I win my age category in each event.

What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, I'll play it by ear and be sensible if needs be.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

JB, you're right, and I am being careful with my knees. Only 2 weeks to NF half, 11th September. 

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday, an early morning run, and then a 5 mile walk in the woods with some old colleagues, and an extended pub lunch. I'm not surprised that this made you feel sleepy later in the afternoon. 

I'm impressed with your selection of races over the Bank Holiday weekend. The Winchester parkrun might be tough, if its anything like the road races. Definitely be careful, as to run 3 races in 3 days is very hard core, and inviting injury. Best of luck anyway 👍

This morning was scheduled for an interval session, but  being the sensible person that I am, decided to just do an easy pace 5.29 miles in the forest. There was just Mike and me, as Sarah H was feeling the effects of a boozy few days in Brum with her Dad and brother, and Sarah F is competing in this evenings mile of miles challenge. This is an annual event among local running clubs. It's like a relay, with each runner running a mile on the track and handing over to the next runner. We have an A and B team, and Sarah is in the B. She didn't really want to do it, but they were a runner short and she was a substitute. I used to partake when I was younger, but I'm too slow now, and wouldn't have run anyway with dodgy knees, and so close to the HM.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel You must have been rather annoyed to have received that email on Friday evening from Alan. It's one thing to be competetive, but for Alan to have taken that tone is disappointing, and must have rather dampened your enthusiasm for future matches.
    Glad to hear you've found a suitable restaurant for Saturday, hope it lives up to expectations. Good that you are back to walking again, I hope your foot doesn't give you any more problems.

HS Sorry, I should have mentioned it was me who flagged the spammer. I'd popped in briefly on Saturday then realised I didn't have time to post properly, but noticed the spammer so flagged him. Glad your legs seem ok now, and you are now easing back on training leading up to the NF HM.  

JB You do like to tempt fate don't you  :D I'm impressed at your organisational skills but slightly concerned about what shape you'll be in by Tuesday. What a good joke that was about being sensible if needs be. 

As my cold seemed a bit better yesterday I thought I'd try a short run to see how I felt, so went straight out after my Pilates session finished. I took it slowly and just did 3 miles but was pleasantly surprised to feel ok during the run and even quite energised afterwards. However I coughed most of the night and feel back to being under the weather today, which is a pain because my next 10k is on Tuesday and I was hoping to get another longish run in before then. I'll see how I feel tomorrow (must remember physio and hairdresser appointments) and perhaps try another run. Failing that I'll go to parkrun on Saturday. I really feel jinxed this year as regards taking part in events - first Covid, then my calf problem and now a cold. 
  • Options
    HS, that sounds like a fun event. Shame you aren't in it but I can see why.

Aqua, sorry to hear that the cold has out stayed its welcome. I guess the parkrun will be better than nothing and will keep you ticking over. The main thing is to keep on keeping on. (Bob Dylan)

Absolutely hosing down here and thunderstorms in the night. At last the garden is greening up.

I've got a very slight ache in the Achilles. Isn't it always the way that in a build up to an event (or events in my case) you become hypersensitive to aches and pains?

No run for me today, might might do some rowing. Meanwhile I listen to the rhythm of the pouring rain... (Everly Brothers) 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Still coughing so no running today. I did another Covid test to be on the safe side (Physio and hairdresser appointments this afternoon) but it was negative.

HS Good idea to wear your sensible hat yesterday and opt for an easy 5 mile forest run. Look after those knees.
    Well done to Sarah F for stepping up to take part in the mile of miles challenge, how did she get on?
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    JB Posts crossing again. Keep an eye on that Achilles, that was the first sign I had (which I initially ignored) of this calf issue. Good idea to have a rest day today so this weekend you'll be able to keep on running (Spencer Davis Group). 
    Forgot to mention that last night I had one of those awful encounters with a charity fund raiser. I was busy cooking the evening meal when the doorbell went and my heart sank when I saw him standing there in his charity uniform asking me if I was having a good day. On principal I usually refuse to sign up to anything when I've been cold called like this, but they have all the psychological tricks and phrases to make that really difficult. He said he was sure I'd be happy to give a couple of pounds a month. but then later on this became "£10 or £20". I told him we couldn't afford that (trying not to look at our BMW on the drive) but promised to make a one off online donation, which  I later did. I felt guilty all night thinking about the children he'd told me about who desperately needed this treatment, which I hadn't agreed to fund.  :/
  • Options
    JB, it was a shame that I didn't partake in the mile of miles, but it is a competitive event, and every club has to enter their quickest runners. The official results haven't been published yet, but I think our A and B teams did well. 

It's been belting down with rain all night, and has just about stopped and brightened up. I had intended to have a rest day today, and the weather makes a good excuse. 

. The Everly Brothers were my favourites when I was younger, and I remember trying to get a quiff in my hair like theirs 🤣

Be careful with that Achilles, especially with 3 races coming up. 

Aquarius ♒️,  sorry to hear that you are still coughing, but good news that you are still negative from Covid. 

I'm being careful with my knees, hence a rest day today and tomorrow. 

Sarah did really well and ran her mile in exactly 8 minutes, so 8 minute miling pace. She is really pleased and so am I; that was quicker than expected.