New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Good Evening All,

WtnMel, Good for you for sticking out the finish of your adventure run! You get points for grit :smile:

Aquarius, Good to hear from you. My husband had an ablation last March. We were very nervous about it beforehand. But, it seemed to go very easily, and he was back at work within a week. He only stayed out as long as he did because of the incision in his groin, and the doctor's warning not to irritate it. I hope that you are holding up ok. It's hard when everything falls on person during the holidays. Best thoughts :

HS, I hope that you've recovered from your soaking?
  • oops I forgot to add. I didn't have as much grit as WtnMel, yesterday, and, instead of dealing with the pouring rain and heavy winds, I opted to cross train on the bike. So, I did my seven mile run today, but I'm a bit dizzy with a sinus infection and I opted for running on the treadmill with a 1% incline.

Happy Running!
  • Evening all,

Four days since my last post, I must be slipping😬

WtnMel, I imagine a lot of youngsters don't know anything about Sgt.Pepper, or indeed, the Beatles.
    I wouldn't even contemplate hanging blinds, in fact these days, I do very little DIY.
    It's many years since I've bought the Radio Times. I remember that there also used to be the TV Times "The only way to see, what's coming on ITV, is to go and get the TV Times."
    Good that your waterproof kept you dry yesterday.

Molly, I've got spinning tomorrow morning, so will try to hit 100 rpm again. In theory, it should help my running speed, but I'm not sure.
    The club had talked about transferring the tinsel run from last Tuesday to tomorrow. They haven't amended the training schedule,  emailed or posted on facebook, so I presume they dropped the idea.
    I think that you would be wise to wait until after Christmas, perhaps, before attempting any speed work. Just concentrate on steady medium distance running.  I'm not a qualified Coach, so don't don't take my advice as gospel.
    Good that your husband's operation last March went well.
    Yes, I've recovered from my soaking, thank you.
    Well done for your 7 miles run on the treadmill.

Aquarius, good to hear from you again.  I'm glad  that your husband's operation went well, but understandable that he will have to take it easy for a while.

There has been very heavy rain here over the last few days, but I have been very lucky as I have manged to dodge it. The forest is almost impossible to do any decent in, as the trails are just a mess of deep squelchy mud, and the grass is sodden. I have, therefore, run on roads, Saturday to today, completing 8.1, 8.0 and 6.0 miles respectively. Nothing very exciting.
    I've worn the weatherproof top that my daughter bought me for my birthday for those 3 runs, and it kept the cold wind out really effectively. I haven't tested it in the rain yet, so don't know how waterproof it is.   
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Aquarius - thought your absence was probably because things had been a bit busy. Glad to hear Steve's op went okay - hope you don't get rushed off your feet too much - but just put it down as x-training (or if it's shopping .. weighlifting?)

Molly - I don't mind running in the rain .. getting out of the door is usually the main problem. Could do without the wind though! .. don't blame you doing x-training on your bike instead of running outside.

HS - four days without running? Tsk tsk ;) I attempted to change the pull light switch in the bathroom yesterday but once I discovered the new one I'd bought was a different fitting from the present one and would involve drilling holes in the ceiling, I retreated gracefully and Margaret is going to "get a man in" (who knows what he is doing!). I think I've mentioned before that we record everything we want to watch and I haven't found anything that gives such comprehensive coverage of what's on as Radio Times (btw, never did like TV Times .. much too full of celebs and soaps coverage for my liking). My waterproof (which seems to keep the wind and rain out despite feeling very lightweight) is a Ron Hill one.

Interesting how the mind works. I ran 4.7mls this morning, really enjoyed being out and it felt like I was running strongly (but I'd imagine the reality looked somewhat different!). When I got home and uploaded the details, Fetch helpfully let me know that was my 19th fastest run of 19 attempts on that route (my best was in May this year around a minute per mile faster. 

Thursday's club run is taking place as usual but no-one will be stopping for 2-for-1 coffees afterwards as they're having their "Thursday Group" xmas lunch at the same pub later on. As I decided to give the xmas lunch a miss, I think I might drive to Pittville Park instead and have a solo run down the Honeybourne Line (path that follows an old railway line).

Have been doing some x-training - sweeping up leaves now they've all dropped - but had to retreat back indoors when I couldn't see what I was doing.
  • WtnMel, It was 4 days without posting, not running. 
    Broadband is down throughout the region for all the Providers. It's likely to be off for 24 hours, a right pain🤬
    I'll reply properly tomorrow when hopefully it will be working again 🤞
  • Good Afternoon All,

HS, Good to hear from you. I'm sorry your broadband has been down. How frustrating!
    How did your RPMs go in spinning class? I will be curious to see if you find that your overall running pace benefits from the high RPMs.
    I appreciate any advice you have to give on my recovery, coach or not :) I agree that my speed work needs to wait for a while. But, I am trying to slowly increase my long runs so that they are back in the 10-13 mile range. There is a local half marathon in March that I hope to run in, and I hope to be in good enough shape to start training for the fall marathon in April. At this point, I'm increasing a mile/week in 3 week blocks and then taking a rest week with a shorter long run. This week is an easy week.
    Good on your daughter for gifting you weather proof running gear! And, good on you for managing to dodge the brunt of the rain.

WtnMel, Congrats on an enjoyable 4.7 mile run. I always think that it's a shame that our data devices don't factor in an enjoyment quotient into their algorithms. Enjoyment is definitely more important than speed :smiley:
    I hope that you have a good run on Thursday!

Aquarius, I hope you and Steve are doing well, and he is recovering nicely!

Yay! for winter running! There was just about 3 inches of untouched snow on the ground this morning when it was time for Nikko's and my run. I grabbed my snow bugs and we were off. There were almost no cars out and the plows had yet to come by and muck everything up. It was one of my favorite kinds of runs. I was scheduled to run 4 miles today, but running in the snow when I'm wearing the ice bugs is a little strenuous for my calves and I didn't want to irritate my tendon, so I kept the run to 3 miles. Definitely a fun run :smiley:
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - ahhh, posting, not running? Doh! :) Hope your broadband has been fixed by now.

Molly - HS is right about leaving speedwork until your tendon has healed completely. When I was training for a HM my approach was similar .. three weeks gradually increasing the long run by around 10% then a cut-back week on the fourth week. Yes, I enjoyed my run - was surprised (but not particularly bothered) to see it had been one of my slower attempts. But I'm only recently back to regular training so a loss of speed was to be expected. That snowy run sounds like fun .. but don't blame you for just keeping it to 4mls.

I thought it was going to rain again today but its dry - suppose that means I ought to go and finish raking up the leaves as the garden waste is being collected tomorrow ;)

• Afternoon all,

WtnMel, I wouldn't get near anything electrical, I'd definitely "get a man, or woman in." This reminds me of many years ago when I was living in Liverpool and was invited to a friends house. They had just had the living room painted and I said to his wife "that looks really nice, did Simon do it?" She replied "no we got a man in."
    I have similar days when I think I have run very strongly, but the statistics say otherwise. Hope you enjoy tomorrows solo run.
    I've also been sweeping up fallen leaves, but there are so many that I filled the green sack that is collected fortnightly, which has left plenty that I have had to leave. Not meant to be a pun!

Molly, the broadband came on line during the night. It was a complete wipe out of all the Providers. It seems that many of the micro cables had been cut through. There has been nothing on the local news about it, but facebook was inundated with posters advising their broadband was down.
    I'm afraid that I didn't manage to attain 100 rpm's again at spin yesterday. I think the reason is that before we started any speed work, we did a solid 20 minutes of hill climbing. I was in gear 11, which makes it very hard turning the pedals. This must have sapped some of my strength, as we had no recovery from the hill work, going straight into the flat level sprints. I think the faster rpm's may have helped my running speed though, see below.
    I did what you intend doing after my injury, by gradually increasing my mileage, but with no speed work. I'm now doing shorter runs, but injecting more pace into them. I'm hoping to have completed 1,700 miles by the end of the year.
    3 weeks good mileage and pace, followed by an easier week is good policy. I'm always advising my club mates that rest and recovery are vital to ensure the best results with less chance of injury.
    Glad that you enjoyed your 3 mile run on the soft snow.

I did a very short road run this morning, as I was having  xmas lunch with a friend later. I ran 3.5 miles with a definite plan. I ran the first 2 miles very easily, and then mile 3 as hard as I could. My average pace for it was 8.39 minute miling. I've still got a long way to go to get up to my pre injury pace, but I'm 2.5 years older now, so very little chance of achieving it.
    I won't be running tomorrow as the car is going in for its annual MoT and service.
  • Just popped in to say good morning everyone.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Good morning HS (doffs hat).

And good morning to anyone else who pops in :)

HS - the electrician has just been and said I was wise to leave it to him. It was an easy job (for him) but I would have struggled as the connections on the new switch were a bit different and as well as cutting holes in the ceiling, he had to replace one of the other connectors in the roof space above the switch. Glad to hear you have your broadband back up and running. And if you did 20mins of hill work, I'm not surprised you couldn't manage 100rpm during the speed work at your spinning. 

I did get out yesterday and rake up the remaining leaves on the back lawn. There's a layer of leaves in all the flower borders around the lawn but I've decided to leave them in place as a mulch over the Winter (they're so soggy at the moment, the overnight wind doesn't seem to have shifted them much). There was a bit of room left in the top of our green waste bin so I cut back my 'cultivated brambles' at the end of the garden - come the Spring, they're sure to be shooting up again! 

I decided to run around the village this morning and spurred on by Tue's run being slower than it felt, this morning I resolved to put more effort into my run. I set off at an easy pace for the first mile until I had warmed up then tried to inject a bit more pace over the rest of the 4.6ml run. My avg pace was 10:40mm which was around 30s per mile quicker than my recent average. Note to self .. you can run a bit faster than you think.

My sons and Margaret's sons never have any suggestions for what they want for xmas so they'll be getting Amazon vouchers (which I don't really like doing but needs must ..) so I'll get online later and do that. As for Margaret herself, I'm still trying to think of something!
  • Good Afternoon All,

WtnMel, Good job on getting your raking done.
    What a nice boost to find you have another speed gear :smile: Congratulations! An increase of 30 sec per minute is quite good.
    My husband and I swore off gifts to each other this year. Instead, we're taking Christmas morning to go for a long hike. It's quite a treat for us to find the time to drive to a woodsy hiking area and take our time to enjoy the hike.

HS, Oh my gosh, my quads would be so very tired after 20 minutes of hill climbing! Congratulations on even attempting a high RPM after that.
    Wow, your 1700 miles for the year is quite impressive with having to adapt your mileage to your injury. According to my Garmin page, my mileage will be around that, but my mileage has only been drastically cut for the last few months, so I've had most of the year to chalk up a steady weekly mileage.
    Congratulations on your speed session. I bet that it felt good to push yourself. I do understand the frustration of not hitting a previous reliable pace. There is a woman who lives near me who often places first in our age group in half marathons. As far as I can tell, her pace hasn't dropped much over time. She swears that her strength training regimen is responsible for her continued speed. She usually comes in at around an hour and half, or a little over. 95% of the time I find her ability inspiring. 5% of the time (usually when she passes me, or drops me), I find her ability irritating. But, it is always motivating. I'm sure that as your body remembers what it feels like to push hard, your speed will come back faster than you think :smile:

It is really cold today with a temperature of -8.33 c, a windchill of -22 c, and wind gusts of around 40 mph. I decided to run on the treadmill. Nothing exciting just a steady 4 miles at HM pace. I am working on cultivating patience for the New Year.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Molly - I surprised myself a bit to be honest, getting some of my speed back. I think I 'play safe' too much so I'll attempt more 'tempo' runs as the worst that'll happen is I'll run out of puff and have to walk for a bit. Margaret and I have agreed we'll not bother with presents for each other this year as we've agreed to use the money instead to treat ourselves to day/weekend at a spa hotel. With those low temperatures, don't blame you running on the treadmill.

I had to finish off some boring, but necessary, admin this morning. Having recently taken over as Treasurer of my swim club, I was given various files and a box of 'stuff' by the previous Treasurer who had been in the job for 20 years. Needless to say he had accumulated a lot of stuff! It has taken me several days, over a few weeks, to sort through all the paperwork and get it into a sensible order. Having finally finished, I now have a 'day-to-day' folder of 'current' stuff; a 'useful' folder of things I might need to refer to; a lot of 'might need sometime' papers that have been 'archived' eg. put in a box in the loft; and a big pile of papers waiting to be shredded. 

Glad I wasn't planning to run today - it's been raining non-stop here and with the low cloud-base, Cleeve Hill has disappeared from sight ..
  • On the 22nd it will be a year to the day when I fell and got the ankle injury on my first Fleetwood park run.
    Tomorrow will be a personal milestone for me.
    I feel better and stronger this time around.
  • Evening all,

WtnMel, every one to their trade.
    Well done running 30 seconds per mile quicker than your previous average.
    I'm afraid that I'm hopeless at choosing suitable presents so generally rely on gift vouchers or bank transfers, so that they can chose their own gifts. A bit of a cop out I'm afraid.

Molly, I believe that you are correct in saying that the body has some memory. I think the muscles must store it, and on occasions it comes into practice. I think it's like years of mileage which I consider "to be in the bank," waiting to be withdrawn.
    I don't blame you working out on the treadmill, I wouldn't fancy running in such cold conditions and high winds. 

WtnMel again, I don't envy you with all the paper work to sort out. I'm still shredding paper work from my parents time, and they died back in 2008 and 2011. I'm also shredding paper work of my own, as I don't want to leave a lot for others to sort out after I have departed this world!

Damien, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and stronger, a year after your injury.

I've been very lucky with the weather, having beaten the rain during the last two days. I ran 7 miles yesterday and 8.5 miles today on roads. I'm running tomorrow morning with the two Sarah's.
  • Good Afternoon All,

WtnMel, Your joint day/weekend at a spa with Margaret sounds like a wonderful idea! How fun that will be for you. My goodness, you have a lot of activities that participate in. Good job on getting the paperwork for you swim club in order. I do hope that the rain breaks for you soon.

Damien, Congratulations on recovering from your injury and coming back faster and stronger. I hope you enjoy this year's Fleetwood park run.

HS, How is your knee feeling after you pushed your pace?
    It is wonderful that you are managing to find breaks in the rain to get out and run. How are you enjoying running on the roads compared to the woods? Do you have a soft shoulder on your roads to run on?

I ran 6 miles on the treadmill today at an easy pace (zone 2 HR) with a 1% incline. While still slow, this weeks easy pace was faster than a couple of weeks ago, so that is encouraging. I purchased a wobble balance board to help in rehabbing my ankle/achilles. When I tried it out, it was amazing to feel how much weaker/unstable my left ankle is now, compared to the right ankle. But, overall, I am having much less discomfort, and I can tell from my progress in my strengthening exercises that the injury is healing again. Yay!! That being said, I am not going to try another interval workout until I can manage a solid tempo run at a reasonable pace without any residual discomfort in the injured tendon.
  • I did the run in 24.39 which was just 10 seconds off my PB.
    A good run that I was pleased with.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - I'm afraid I'm the same .. I never know what to get them all, so my two sons, Margaret's two sons and my DIL are all getting Amazon vouchers as per usual. I have plenty of my own papers etc. that still need to be sorted out - but I couldn't settle into this Treasurer's job until I was on top of the paperwork and felt 'in control'.

Molly - we've had spa weekends for the last few years and they're always very enjoyable. As well as the general lounging around, we usually treat ourselves to a massage treatment while we are there. Well done re your 6ml treadmill run. No doubt because I remember the physio's words when I was being treated for an ankle injury earlier this year, I often find myself doing some of the ankle exercises they told me about while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil at breakfast time.

Damien - glad to hear you were only 10 secs off your parkrun PB.

Heading out for a run shortly - will *try* to go at least 5mls so I can call it a 'long' run :)
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popped back to say .. managed to run 6mls (longest run since Cirencester 10K in June * Corsham 10K in Apr) \o/
  • Good afternoon all

I’m just popping in briefly again to say hi to everyone, and as I might not get the chance to post again before Christmas I want to wish you all (you too Runningfox and Redhead, if you are still visiting us) a very merry Christmas.

Steve is still recovering from his ablation - thank you all for your good wishes. He’s been a lot more sore, and tired, for longer than he expected, but he now seems to be getting over that. Unfortunately I’m feeling pretty grotty at the moment as I had root canal treatment on Thursday and I’ve been living on painkillers ever since. I think I’ll have to ring the dentist when they open again tomorrow to see if it is normal to have pain for so long after the treatment (it’s particularly annoying as I had no pain when I went for my appointment, I only had it done because an x-ray showed the nerve had died and so needed to be removed). I managed to get a 7 mile run in on the morning of my appointment, which was fortunate as I haven’t been able to run since, and today had to miss a trail run I had entered that was taking place in the local woods. I have another run lined up for Boxing Day, so I’m hoping to be fully recovered by then. 
    We were supposed to be having the family over for Christmas dinner at our house this year, but luckily our son (the one who lives on the same estate as us) realised it was going to be a bit stressful for us as neither Steve nor I are feeling 100%, so our son volunteered to have it at his place. However since making this offer he’s gone down with a virus and his partner has got tonsillitis :o - so Christmas looks like being a bit of a challenge. So I’ve suggested Steve and I cook the turkey and trimmings plus stuffings etc at our house, if my son can manage the vegetables at his. Then on Christmas day Steve and I will jump in the car with the turkey etc and drive the short distance down the road to our son's house, and hopefully it’ll all come together perfectly on the day. 

I’ve quickly glanced over recent posts and I’m glad to see that everyone seems to be running well and injury free - let’s hope we carry that theme well into the New Year!
  • Afternoon all,

Molly, my knee did ache slightly after my  faster efforts, but doesn't seem to have done any damage. I don't enjoy running on roads very much, but I haven't had much choice, considering the state of the forest. I'm afraid the road runs I do don't have any soft verges,
    It's sounding very positive that your easy pace is quicker than previously, and that your tendon appears to be healing. The wobble board does sound a very good idea, as balance is certainly a concern as we age. Hopping is a good drill for enhancing balance, forwards and backwards. I also do walking backwards and forwards on my toes, and also on my heels. 

Damien, well done, being just 10 seconds off your PB!

WtnMel, well done for running 6 miles, your furthest since June.

Aquarius, good to hear that Steve is now getting over his tiredness and soreness.
    I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell and in pain after your root canal treatment. I had the root canal treatment a few months ago, with absolutely no after effects whatsoever; it's definitely not the norm!
    It was lucky that you were able to fit in a 7 miles run on the morning of your appointment. How annoying though, having to miss your trail run because of the pain. I hope you will be able to run on Boxing Day.
    Your Christmas Dinner get together does indeed sound rather challenging, so I hope it all works out for you. Wishing you a merry and pain free Christmas, and all your family.

I ran 7 miles on roads this morning with the two Sarah's.
    I'm only 38 miles short now of 1,700, so will have to put in some runs over the Christmas period.  
  • Good Afternoon All,

DamienNagle, Congratulations on your park run!

WtnMel, Good job on your 6 miles! It sounds like you're going to have to set some ambitious running goals for the New Year :smile:

Aquarius, I'm so sorry you are struggling with a painful aftermath from a root canal. I do hope you start to feel better soon. And, I'm glad that Steve is feeling better. It now looks like my husband will have to undergo a second ablation this spring. His initial arrhythmia was a SVT and that was easily scotched, but now his heart seems to be having an atrial fib arrhythmia. Anyway, you guys have all of my sympathy for having to deal with the heart stuff.
    I truly hope that your Christmas does come together in a magical way where all of the tonsillitis, colds, tooth pain, and post ablation discomfort disappears.

HS, It's almost embarrassing to confess this, but I can't hop very well at the moment without really irritating the tendon. It just hasn't healed enough. Also, there still isn't much strength there. I have been working on pushing up on to my toes. I can manage both feet at once, but I can't manage it on just my left foot very well (maybe 2 repetitions). And, I can't go quite as high up on my left foot. However, I am able to point, flex and rotate the foot with a very weak resistance band and I couldn't do that at all after the marathon. So Yay! However, I am very much looking forward to the day that I can hop again. The idea of walking on my heels is new to me and interesting. And, even more exciting is the thought that it is an exercise that I can do :smile: Thanks for the suggestion!
    I've got my fingers and toes tightly crossed for you to make your 1700 miles.

Today was supposed to be a cross training/strength training day. However, I've been battling a sinus infection and at the moment it seems to be winning. I managed to walk Nikko for a couple of miles in the bitter cold, and that was all of the physical activity that I could cope with today (unless drinking hot tea in front of the fire counts). Tomorrow is a rest day, and, then, next week my mileage begins to slowly pick up again.
  • Morning all - hoping you can read me this time! I've been posting regularly but it appears that I'm being deleted as nobody has anwered me. I am used now to being erased from the triathlon thread but hoping this one works.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Damien - thanks! Proves there's life in the overweight old dog yet :)

Aquarius - Merry Christmas to you too (pretty sure Runningfox visits - haven't seen much of Red on here or on Facebook either). Glad to hear Steve is recovering okay - I've only ever had one operation (hernia) and I was off work for two weeks. Sorry to hear you've had to have a root canal treatment and have been in pain ever since - hope the dentist can advise/sort out painkillers and a bit of a bugger you had to miss the trail run as a result. Good to hear your family are helping out with Christmas - I hope you have ALL recovered in time to enjoy it and your 'cunning plan' of cooking and transporting the turkey comes together okay.

HS - one of the ankle exercises I was given involved going up on your toes then walking a square while balancing on them. Yes, I was pleased to get over that psychological 5ml barrier I've not run further than for a long time.

Molly - my main goal for 2020 is to build up my walking mileage and get fitter (and hopefully lighter) ready for my 90ml "Dales High Way" walking holiday in July. I've not booked it yet but am hoping to do a guided walking holiday in late March/early April when I can do the 'hard' walks and test my fitness. So the running will be there .. but it will have to take a back seat for a while.

I went swimming yesterday evening - I usually manage 2 sets of 400m (16 lengths) but after my 6ml run I didn't have the energy so just 400m instead.

I've flagged jjwalker441 as a spammer - need 2 more flags before the spam posts will dissapear.

• Hi All,
    I'm just popping on quickly to wish everyone a wonderful holiday!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Similarly popping in to wish everyone a lovely xmas and new year. See you on the other side - but I may pop in here again between xmas and new year anyway!
  • A  Merry Christmas to everybody from me too, and a Happy New Year.
    I've got rid of the spammer now. Not sure about the other new poster who said he keeps getting kicked of the tri athlete forum.
  • And a very Happy Christmas to everyone on the forum from old Runningfox.
  • Seasons Greetings folks!!
  • Good evening everyone, I hope you’ve all had a lovely Christmas.

HS I hope you’ll be able to get those extra miles in before the end of the year to get to 1700 miles. That’s a pretty impressive total for 12 months. Have you a target for next year? 

Molly I too have a wobble board, which I found really useful for strengthening my ankles and lower legs a few years ago. I don’t use it these days but instead I do yoga balancing exercises which help with strength as well as balance. From what you’ve said previously I assume you have a training programme that you are trying to follow, or adapt, as circumstances dictate, but have you also been given any rehab advice for your Achilles injury? A physiotherapist should be able to give you specific exercises regarding this. 
    Sorry to hear your husband needs a second ablation. I hope everything goes well for him, Steve’s ablation was for atrial fibrillation too. I hadn’t realised how common the condition was until he was diagnosed and we learnt more about it.

WtnMel well done for your 6 mile run, thereby breaking that 5 mile barrier, which as you say is a psychological boost. I’m very impressed with your planned 90 mile walk in July. I imagine the training for that will take some time. Will you still be able to fit in some running too (not forgetting swimming, golf and skinny dipping, and, of course, country dancing)? How long will it take you to complete the Dales High Way, and are you planning to do it with friends or will it be a solo effort?

Im pleased to report that my toothache finally subsided on Christmas Eve, and we managed to somehow get everything ready at the same time for Christmas dinner (despite fitting in visits to relatives in the morning), but it was a little stressful. I’d love to be able to afford to book a hotel for us all next Christmas and have a relaxing time being waited on by others, but unless I win the lottery that’s unlikely to happen! Anyway, thank you all for your good wishes for our Christmas. In addition to me being toothache free for Christmas my son and his partner were also feeling somewhat better too (which was a relief because we had visions of all the guests catching their germs). I managed to get out for my 5k fun run today (in aid of a local special school). This event has been taking place for quite a few years now, and each year the number of entrants increases, with over 1500 taking part this year. As a consequence there is a lot of congestion on narrow paths and pavements resulting in frequent spells of walking, so it’s always a slow run, but there’s a lovely festive family atmosphere as most entrants, young and old, are in Christmas themed fancy dress. 

As we’re approaching 2020 I’d love to hear what running plans and goals you have for the coming year.
    I’ll kick off with mine - to get some regular speed work done to try to improve on my disappointing pace this year (and, along the same lines, I’m thinking of ditching this 80/20 experiment as I suspect it’s contributing to my slow pace).