70.3 nutrition?

Attempting my first 70.3 in the New Forest on 25th Sept and am looking for some nutrition hints/tips please.

I've done each of the 3 distances independently and have bricked 33M bike and 8M run without too many problems, a little concerned about the swim as I am a slow pool swimmer with no open water experience - but hey I'm committed now!

What sort of nutrition do people take on and when?

I've used gels on long runs before but they bloat me and I wouldn't like to take more than 2, what other fuels do people recommend?

thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• You can eat whatever on the bike. Flapjack. Gingerbread men. Much easier to take the calories in there.
  • +1 for Flapjack. Or Pork Pies 

eat in the first half of the bike

• Thanks cougie and Dave, much appreciated.  Will be googling flapjack recepies and turning the kitchen into my version of GBBO this weekend!

was thinking that salts might also come into play, so was thinking of salted peanuts or pretzels as well. 

Great shout to eat on first half of bike - makes perfect sense.

• I put a little pack of salted peanuts in my pocket for IM. I think i reached for them on the run and they'd got smashed to pieces. Threw them.

I dont think you should have much issue with salts in the UK - they do ritz crackers and things on the Euro IM's - maybe find out what they are offering ?
  • I always have a couple of packets of mini cheddars on the bike... bloody lovely.... and at Outlaw this year. also ate a packet on the run

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Got through it, swim was better than I feared, bike was fine, run was horrible, hillier than I realised.  Decided to walk the up hills and run the flat and downhill, but ended up walking some of the flat as well near the end.

not only legs ran out of juice but I had quite unpleasant heartburn as well.

flapjack and ritz crackers along with a gel st 20 and 50m and a banana on the bike clearly didn't work for me.

still I finished in 6:40 and am happy with that for my first attempt.

thanks for the hints and tips, much appreciated