Options

Sky/British Cycling

13»

Comments

• Options

Firstly in Pro cycling all TUE's should be made public, that would make a huge difference, as it would provide a level of transparency not previously seen. I think it would also reduce the number of TUE's being requested as they'd now be published prior to any Major Tour event. 

Regarding Tri and testing of the Age Groupers, it's far more difficult. I assume that my girlfriend who competed in her first "Go Tri" event last year and came third from last, would fail her test as she's been using a really strong prescription steroid cream for a skin issue and is also taking a shed load of tablets for other health issues. All prescribed and absolutely necessary, but she's hardly going to apply for a TUE for a small beginners event.

I'm a middle of road athlete, never going to win anything, as far as I'm aware I'm not doping, I use maximuscle recovery shakes & Power bar isotonic drinks that's the extent of my sports specific intake. However, I've been prescribed antibiotics twice in 12 months! (Don't ask I'm thinking of painting a red cross on our front door) and therefore could have failed a test afterwards as I never thought to ask a doctor if they were WADA approved as I was more worried about my health.

I think that's the same for 99% of us normal Triathletes, I'd hate to see our sport lose people by failing tests because their doctor had given them something for a water or ear infection 3 weeks earlier.   

• Options

Maccydee - My understanding (!) is that non-pro athletes can easily get a retrospective TUE for genuine meds as long as they declare on the paperwork that goes along with the test whatever meds they have been prescribed.

For obvious reasons the authorities would prefer not to have to deal with thousands of TUE requests for all sorts of medication

• Options

That's an interesting line  ...  so where should it go ... do we test amateurs at 'our' level (or at least at my level which is mainly completer rather than competer) ... if we don't then it just enhances the current increase in full on EPO style doping being undertaken by 'bored businessmen' type , but then if you do, where do you draw the line ... as if it is at professional standards then I am guilty of 'doping'in a race by having a lemsip beforehand. (Phento-something or other is on the banned list and in lemsip). 

So is there a different level of testing for different levels of races ?