counting swim lengths

13»

Comments

• the latter I'm afraid... 1 stroke = 1 arm pull, so left, right, left, breath, is 3 strokes...
  • well, I count it as each arm entry, ie left- right- left- right is 1,2,3,4. This is the standard way of counting (ie if you breathe every 3rd stroke, it's after every 3rd entry)
  • Tee hee.. Are we doing the snap thing again..?!!

Carl, have you taken any lessons yet? It sounds like you need to conc on lengthening yer stroke a bit...
  • Yes had lessons last October /November but its only been the last month since I really got back to swimming has had a shoulder strain and suffer with my elbow.

Im phoning my instructor ASAP as I need to get better, im contemplating trying a TI weekend after reading Will's report but not sure if I can afford it.

eek if im nealy 40 strokes a length thats not good... Still im just about fit enough to do 160 lengths in 1hr 45 with a combination of crawl and breast stoke and with 13 more weeks (39 sessions should be able to get that nearer 1hr 30).
  • Carl,
    don't stress... plenty of time to improve... I think the general rule of thumb appears to be under (if you can) 1 stroke per metre...

Sounds like you need to try and conc on gliding a bit more and making each individual stroke count and pull you along...

Sorry to any 'pro' swimmers out there... For the advice giving... Believe me I ain't no pro!

TI does sound good and I'd like to give it a go... but there are other and cheaper swim coach sesh's that wuk on the same kinda glide principles as TI does I've found...

www.swim-masterclass.co.uk/ is one I've used and found useful...
  • (incidentally i did see a link once to an abacus with suckers on to stick to the end of the lane)
  • Carl

TI was realy good

Swimming is all about good form and long swimming in TRI is about conserving your energy

If your arms are going ike a windmill you will use a lot more energy than you realy need during the swim - good fom can drasticly reduce the energy expended thus leaving you fresh for the rest

To this end - increas the amount of swim time you devote to drils - you are fit enough to go the distance so dont worry about loosing the odd long swim i favaor of drills - as long as you go long at least session in 4

Gud luk
  • Hey guys - I have a really easy super-duper little gadget that works. It's called SportsCount, it's a small watch-type face that fits round your index finger on a velcro strap. All you do is hit the button with your thumb at the end of every lap, couldn't be easier (assuming of course you do know how long the pool is!) For isntance, tonight's training was 800m repeats, so in our 50m pool 16 lengths for each 800m. Easy-peasy.
  • Where did you get it from IW it sounds ideal.
  • Please explain "breaststroke mafia"? Should I be afraid?

Thankyou :)
  • Monique - it came from World Wide Aquatics. www.worldwideaquatics.com, I'm finding it invaluable for IM training.
  • Everytime I try to order one from them they whack on some ridiculous shipping charge that I refuse to pay, even though they send me emails promising free shipping. I have given up.

Dodge you are more than a match for any mafia, breast stroke or otherwise I would have thought.
  • Do you know anyone in the Armed Forces anywhere abroad? Get your order posted to a BFPO and you won't have to pay any charges.
  • Damn I'm a pacifist, I know no one.
  • I am reassured Monique but still none the wiser as to what they are.
  • Ordered one from edirectory, at least it's UK so doesn't cost double to get it here.

Most pools have some Dodge, the kind of 2 abreast non hair wetting types, moving up and down the pool like super tankers with no possibilty of swimming round them. Clucking disaprovingly should anyone want to do anything other than gossip loudly to their immediate neighbour as they drift up and down. Fortunately the relative sanity of swim lanes can help, where at least there is a chance of people of equal pace being grouped together. The attendants can not always be bothered to put them in though. I don't have anything against a good gossip, or being slow as I am both of those, but I am aware of faster swimmers and give way accordingly so as to let them pass at the end of a length.
  • Anyway while googling around I discovered that a university in America have developed a sensory pad that suckers to the end of the pool and the swimmer touches it so it can record lap times etc, wasn't on sale though.
  • You may be right about my match fitness for the mafia. On friday I was merrily continuing with my education in swimming and as I approached the end of a length of breaststroke someone of the description you mentioned (minus the chatbuddy) decided to catch my foot and put me off my stroke. I gathered myself and continued my swim, on my next breathe I saw him steaming across several "lanes" to the otherside of the pool. He actually cut across another couple of swimmers in his haste. Muppet. How he managed to swim into me with his head out of the water I don't know. Not an old fella by any means.

Not that I would have made much in the way of reminstration, I'm not that sort of person. I suppose my initial "look" may have inspired him to remove himself.

:)
  • Spending 2 weeks in southern France last month I was pleasantly surprised to find a local 50m pool with organised lane swimming. One largish section was roped off and marked 'Public', then a wide lane for 'crawl' swimmers, then another for 'faster swimmers', and the rest of the pool for clubs. Returning home I happened to mention this to one of our club members, who is French, and he said oh yes, this is common in French swimming pools. Very nice, no hassle swimming.
  • Guess if we had a few more 50m pools here we'd get this sort of thing. As far as I know there are about 8 50m pools in UK, most Australian cities have more than we have in the whole country.
  • I had a lovely swim last night, only one or two people in the lane the whole hour I was there, and we got along famously, a faster front crawl guy, also dong drills like me, so I let him through and a slower front crawl lady who let me through when the need arose, then they both left and I did most of my mile on my own, which made a difference in that I could relax, it's the first time in ages I have got out of the pool without a stress headache, which I always put down to my swim cap being too tight.
  • Been swimming this morning and pool was nearly empty.

Decided to do some laps i.e. not touching walls and all i can say is its darn hard work when you dont touch off or stop for a rest. Did 50 mins (equivilant to 80 lengths and only touched down about 3 or 4 times) - im not looking forward to this open water swim malarky...
  • Oh and b4 anyone says - Yes I know the wetsuit will help lol
  • I'm lucky in that I have 2 50m pools close to home. We'll stage our club tri in one of them 6 June, we're putting on the normal Olympic and a sprint for those who're not yet ready to move up.
  • Carl, my biggest problem when swimming outside is the sighting you have to do, I seem to be unable to swim in a straight line.
  • Not tried it yet but have trouble going in a straight line in the lanes. Just today I was sharing a lane with one other guy and he asked if I could stay over a bit becasue I was going to near the middle.

All will improe with practice I hope but can see the disadvantage of not going straight - i.e. swimming a few hundred meters than needed.

Ill more than likely be switching between Breast Stoke and crawl for my tries this year so ill be able to correct myself and swin stright during the breastroke.
  • Oh gord my spelling is awful - still im really tired and took tonight off since I was feeling a bit fatigued. 18mile run tomorrow night eek.
  • Yeah you can always stick a few strokes of breast stroke in to get your bearings.