Wide midfoot barefoot/minimalist running shoes

So I've been running in Vibram Fivefingers for years (well properly running for the last year but I've been wearing them for walking/jogging for about 9 years) and I love them, I've become a regular runner in them, I've done my first half marathon in them, I've *touches wood* never been injured. However, they don't seem to be lasting as well as they used to and are difficult to put on at speed in transition, so I'm trying to switch to toeless running shoes of some other brand.

I got a pair of Nike Free RN Flyknits which seemed okay briefly on the shop treadmill. I took them out for what was meant to be 5km treadmill run (not wanting to get them dirty in case I needed to return them, but I never normally run on a treadmill so maybe this is part of the problem?) but got some lateral midfoot pain where my midfoot seems to stick over the edge and quit at 3km. The pain eased when I walked around in them and went away when I switched back to my other shoes to go home.

So, I guess I'm wondering if this is a terminal relationship with these shoes? Or is it just a case of having to transition back to 'normal' trainers slowly like I believe you're advised to transition to barefoot running?

If it's terminal, any advice on barefoot/minimalist shoes with a wide midfoot?

Sorry for the long read, really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Comments