London Marathon ballot place/training issue.

Hello! After four attempts at the ballot I now have a place for the London Marathon. I'm confident at running marathons and know the training having run 5 other marathons. However, I'm a little unsure of how training will go for 2017. This is because I have a ski trip over Christmas and February( these are work related and not a jolly!). So essentially would miss out on 2 weeks of training. I know this can happen when people get ill but previously I have stuck religious to training 5 times a week for 16 weeks! Looking for some advice on whether deferring until 2018 would be best. I know I'll be gutted to watch it on tv in 2017 but will also would hate to underperform at sometihign that I've been wanting to do for years. I know there are people who are gutted about not getting ballot places. I have run low key marathons and just eventually got a place. Now I've got it I just want to use it wisely. Is it possible to run well given that training would be interrupted? I'm a prettyaverage runner my PB is 3.50 at Amsterdam. Thank you!

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Start your training plan a couple of weeks early so you are a bit ahead before taking a week off.
  • Just do it! Start your plan two weeks early and don't worry about the breaks. They will be mentally and physically refreshing. Who knows what could crop up the following year. 

And... pack your trainers? I take yaktrax  for running on ice. Work brilliantly. Good luck. 

• So two separate weeks? Not an issue really. The first time I did London I didnt even get a place until february, a rest over christmas and another in feb will do no harm at all if you start training now.
  • Yes separate weeks. I've actually just counted the 16 weeks before London on my Diary and the first week away actually doesn't impact on a 16 week training programme. Looking more doable. Will probably do 18/20 weeks if I go for it since missing a week in Feb!
  • Is there a reason why you can't take your running shoes and run early in the morning... and adjust your long run to do it before you go and after you get back 

• FFS, 2 weeks off a plan for a race in April, will make no difference at all. If it makes you feel any better, call them cutback weeks and work your mileages around this. If you're actually skiing / snowboarding, then isn't this exercise and cross-training anyway? You'll be fine, enjoy your skiing trip (jealous) and don't worry about it.

• Ha okay! Won't be bringing trainiers as will be in a ski resort and not much running routes!
  • The only risk I see is if you injure yourself skiing ? You'll get a bit of a workout skiing and a week missed won't set you back at all. Might even help you.
  • There's more opportunity to run in a ski resort than you might first think.  If there are any cross country routes then these will normally be groomed, most resorts have foot paths of some shape or form.  Yes, you'll get a bit puffed due to the altitude, but good training never the less.  

• Hi Kitty 87

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have never run a marathon before only half's and my husband has booking two ski trips 1st in Jan and the 2nd Mar (the week of my longest run!).  I've rewritten my own training plan to fit.  I have always managed to run whilst skiing.  I like an afternoon so my legs are already a bit tired from a morning on the slops. Do some research before maybe catch a bus somewhere and run back!  Just remember to pack the appropriate clothes and wear your ski gloves.  Avoid alcohol and eat well.  If your anything like me then you'll be fine.  

I'm looking for about the same time as your PB so see you there.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

I did the London Marathon this year which was my first marathon - I went skiing over the long weekend 3 weeks out from the race. Obviously not necessarily perfect training, but it didn't seem to cause me any problems. My last long runs were:

5 weeks out - 20 miles
    4 weeks out - half marathon race
    3 weeks out - 9 days with no running including 4 days skiing
    2 weeks out - 15 miles
    1 week out - 10 miles

I wouldn't worry too much about running while you are away unless you want to - being on your feet all day isn't bad training and you could injure yourself if you try to do too much. If you can, try to treat it as a cut back week. The skiing will keep you ticking over.