Newbie advice re tri distance - sprint vs Olympic

Hi, I've never taken part in a triathalon before, but I would love to try to get a place on the London Triathalon for next year. I'd like to enter for the Olympic distance but I'm not sure if this is unrealistic and out of realms for 'normal' people! I'm mid 30s, female and fairly active but I just don't know if I should be aiming for the sprint etc? I really want to have a go at a big event! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! (I have entered for a sprint event in May next year as a practise tri event! Thanks ????

Comments

• no reason why you can't do an Oly for your first race... lots have, and lots have done longer too.... plenty on here did Ironman for their first!

As for tips.... follow a plan until you know what you are doing... loads out there for download.... and the one absolutely key session is the brick run, which is basically running straight off a bike ride....

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • What do you currently do ? Can you run a 10k ? Can you swim or bike ?

As MC says - lots of us have done Ironman as our first triathlon. Some of us were 'normal' - well at least to begin.

Consistent training from now to the summer would let you do pretty any distance tri you want to - but up to you how much of a challenge you want the distance to be.
  • There's no reason you can't do an Oly at London, especially if you're starting training now. In your place, however, I'd book a local sprint/supersprint first if you can.

It will at least give you a go at transition so you don't do anything stupid like not wearing a trisuit under your wetsuit, forgetting that vital bit of kit etc. London is a MASSIVE event and would probably be fairly intimidating if you've not done one before.