'But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo'.

What: 1 mile.
Why: Streak.
Day 312 today.

Have a report.

- - - - - - - - - - 

Abingdon Report - 23/10/2016.
by Oliver Linton.

Official Time: 2:56:28, Chip Time: 2:56:23.
Position: 42/693.

Once Upon A Time,
There was a place called Abingdon-on-Thames, solely renowned for being in the middle of nowhere.  Oh, and being the home town of Radiohead.  Could I point out Abingdon on a map?  Probably not.  But that's okay seeing as ~15 miles of the race take place outside Abingdon in the neighbouring villages, so I need not focus on Abingdon, or cartography, and just rest assured on my running.  And thus concludes my preparation for the Abingdon Marathon.

Stopped off in Oxford to load up on some last ditch fuelling of pasta, bringing to mind my favourite carb-load joke (what do you call a party game played with spaghetti?  Pasta Parcel.  Gets me everytime), before venturing off to Wheatley.  Yeah, Wheatley, I need not say more seeing as I'm sure it's a world famous place.  It doesn't need any top ranking university to put it's name on the map, it's got wheat, and ley.  Wheat being a cereal grain, ley being a piece of land used for seasonal pasture.

Anyway, this is a report, not a cross word puzzle, so let us be getting on with the report.

So the day started with the start of the day.  I would say the sun was out, there was a tepid breeze in the air, the birds were singing their sweet serenade in serendipity with flowers swaying jovially below the flapping rhythm of the wings harmonising with my gallant erh-gallivanting toward the start line.  But I'd be lying if I said that.  Then I'd rather be running, not lying so...

What actually happened: pre-run brew, check; step outside into a dark dawn, naturellement; the bitter blowing of a chilly wind, yep.  But would I change it if I could, well probably.  But am I bothered about the fact that I could note change what occurred, no.

Anyway, race time drew closer.  I hope you're waiting with baited breath because the runners were anticipating the start to get underway.  If not to finish the race, then at the very least to get out of the packed conditions.  But it was warm, and I like warm, perhaps why I gravitate toward coffee.

Anyway, the racers were lined up at the starting positions and ready to go; practically raring as the countdown began:
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Just in case you forgot what a countdown is.
In any event, the countdown happened, and then concluded.  And what cantrip would arise from such a conclusion of a countdown?  Why, the start of the marathon of course.

My head was ringing with the buzz of excitement... Nope just a beep of a watch.  Though ringing through my cranium, my lonesome brain cell working overtime with multiple possibilities, endless opportunities, and probably getting roused out of brain bed thinking of brain jokes such as what did the cockney say to the Texan?  Cor, Tex.
Anyway, my main priority was not to trip up on the start line, to get stampeded over by a... well by a stampede of runners.  And so I held on to that distinct notion as I successfully made it across the start line without incurring injury.

There was 400 metre track to contend with, and apologies if you've read this far into the report only to find I haven't even managed 400 metres yet, I really want to give this report a feeling of you being there in the moment, so it should take you 2 hours, 56 minutes to read.  Any less and I would have failed in my task of conveying the Abingdon experience.

Have a good day. image

Comments

• Anyway, the weather seemed to actually warm up at this point, tauntingly familiar blue skies that I wouldn't have minded when I was standing about doing nothing but oh well.  I ran round the track and out the gate and into the park and did you know that the author who first used the stream of consciousness style of writing in an English novel came from Abingdon?  Her name is Dorothy Richardson.  Though I ain't employin' no copycat technique, but thought you might want to know.

To be honest, I can barely remember the first few miles, but I recall the first mile was ~6:50 (that is what I call a nice, steady start), unfortunately that pace lasted all of 1 mile before venturing into a 6:30 mile, and then settling at ~6:40s.

I recall a lake, mainly 'cause I've just glanced at a map, but it brought to mind a vivid recollection of Thrupp Lake, glistening in the sun, and this isn't even one of my ramblings, it did look nice as I ran past it.  Unfortunately, Emerson or Palmer were nowhere to be seen.  It was around this point I fell in with the 6:40 cabal, a group of five other runners who were enduring in their... endurance, determining in their determination, controlled in their controllingness, groovy in their groove, and strident in their... Nope, cant think of any related words... Mind's gone blank.  Anyway, ain't no one gonna break their stride.

But whatever; no need to dress 'em up, they were just five guys.  But it was as if Philippides was shining down on me saying, well i don't know what he was saying, it's all Greek to me.  The point I'm trying to convey is that about 3 or 4 miles in, I saw a group, overheard one of 'em say they were aiming for 2:55, and so I just stuck in behind them.  Quite a few people were speeding off past us, so I let them past, yearning to feel the rush of air that flows by as one speeds past, but sensibility/innate laziness restricted me quite contently at my current pace, resolving not to let poor, impulsive judgment get the better of me.

It was as we were running through the town centre that the trepidation of sticking with this 6:40 group took ahold, and so I slowed down slightly with the intention of dropping the pace down to ~6:50s.  I was in two minds until around mile 6, seeing as they were still in sight, I rejoined the runners and just kept behind them.  The core members of the group were Rifle 1, Rifle 2, Rifle 3, Red Shirt, and Other Guy.

Saw my friend who came to spectate at Mile 6 which was nice, then almost had a crash at a water station when Red Shirt slipped trying to grab a drink.  Luckily my evasive manoeuvres were on point, or rather I guess I lucked out and he barely whisked me, but would that be an exciting report?  No!  Luckily Red Shirt was fine, and able to rejoin the pack.

This section originally had something so outlandish that it was edited out of this rambling mess of a report, just to give some perspective on what once lay there.  Don't think I put little effort put into this account, you'd be wrong.  I put no effort into it.

Anyway, sticking with the group, there was a car boot sale in Drayton, I guess in hindsight I had a couple of minutes spare to browse but I'm not Psychic Sally so I continued plodding along.  At some point around the 8 mile mark there was a bush on the pavement.  Oh, how we jested, 'this is not the hurdles,' we chortled as we went streaming down the road at 9 miles an hour.  Good memories, good times.

At some point between the 8 mile point and some other point, but certainly before halfway, Other Guy sped off from our pack leaving not so much a goodbye as he soared off to pastures new (and as we know, ley is a seasonal pasture, you see how this all links in now), so our 6 became 5.

Have a good day. image
  • I hope people are still with me at this point.

Somewhere around the business park area, no clue as to what mile that was at, but the group seemed to merge with people as we caught up to them, consuming, absorbing, and assimilating others into our pack.  Notable amongst our pick up was Wizened Guy, so called because he looked wise and he will come into play later.

The half way point came, it was ~1:27:03 on my watch, and the core pack of five had stuck together, leaving Wizened Guy behind, never to be seen again, or so I thought.  The route then took is along some trail, had a quick chat with Rifle 3 and enjoyed the change of scenery from village road to wooded path.

The second lap of the village loop approached, and passed, and as we enter the second phase, flooding through the collective hive, would the group stick together?  What of Wizened Guy and his mystique?  Is the grass greener on the other side?  And could the 6:40 pace be maintained.  Rather than keep you in suspense, here's the answers: no; nothing especially interesting; no idea; no.

Now that I've saved you the hassle of reading until the end, for those fully committed, you can continue if you please, there will be a test at the end of the report, you have been warned.

So second lap, same as the first, right?  No, left.  Following the left turn onto the second lap, the pace was steady, and the familiarity of the course left me feeling assured of a simple flutter by.  We caught up to Other Guy, and he stayed with us for a further mile or so before falling away from the pack.  At this point, Red Shirt and I had a chat, about how it was going, goals for the marathon, the usual things runners tend to chat about in a race, which can be summed up in two topics: running, and the race.  But that's fine by me.

The 8/17 mile mark approach, and would you believe but I decided to point out that same hurdle in case the other members of the pack had forgotten the hilarity of the first time round.  I don't think anybody was that interested... But whatever, the bush will live on through its own unamusingly conspicuous sentiment that arises through rumination on the subject of the object/object of the subject.  Rifle 3 fell off from the group at this point and our quinto became quintessentially a quad.

Mile 18, all good.  Sub 2 hours (just) at that point and feeling strong, though it was at this point when the effort was becoming tangible in the quads, and in the quad, but we carried on.  The 20 mile mark was my last firmly within the 6:40 pace, but I kept with the group.  However, Rifle 1 broke off and went on his own, what became of him?  We'll never know.  Well we do, he finished sub 2:55, so props to him.  By mile 21, the pace was barely out of 6:40s, but Red Shirt had split off, and Wizened Guy caught up.

I still had feeling in my legs, I still had legs in my feeling.  Ya feelin' this, I certainly was.  The group had deformed, and so I stuck with Wizened Guy up to Mile 23, at this point we were overtaking , and I felt good.  Then the legs really did start to feel it so Wizened Guy sped off, he ended up with 2:55:, and seemed to know what he was doing, hence is wizened status.

Have a good day. image
  • I fell back in with Rifle 2, and the 24th mile was then the legs were hurting, but with less than a parkrun to go, and seeing the time left on the watch, I assured myself that sub-3 was in the bag, so it was a matter of continuing on and sticking with Rifle 2.  There was an underpass which was a bit of a nuisance but can Zans dance?  Not allegedly.  Somewhere along the way, we spot Yellow Shirt, who stayed just ahead of us, and had a great finishing pose in contrast to my jaded stopping of the watch, but that comes a mile or so later.

Speaking of the lhe last mile, we eventually came on to the last mile, and of course it's the mile that seems to stretch the longest (or looooooongest may be more apt).  But the watch gave me confidence, sticking with Rifle 2 was good for motivation, and so we turn the last bend and enter the running track.  Enter the running track to the biggest punch in the stomach as not only can you see the finish line staring you eye to eye in the face, taunting, teasing, tantalising with its every existential moment, but the course requires you to go the long way round the track.

So back we are to the 400 metres where we started.  Whilst the memory of the marathon is a little grainy (remember the wheat as mentioned previously), with various miles coalesced into one another, that last 385 yards is quite clear in mind.  Heading down the straight, it was Yellow, myself, and Rifle 2.  Rifle 2 overtook me on the bend.  To have my 42nd place stolen from right under my nose, don't I knows the feeling of deprivation.

So on the last stretch, I decided to put in a last burst of speed right before the finish line, we drew on gun time but I pipped him by 2 seconds on chip time, nice to salvage a place back too.

Anyway, to sum up: I started running, I ran, I finished running.  That was all I had to say but whatever, the above is the director's cut I guess. 
    Enjoy, and thank y'all for reading, for your advice over the past year or so, and for being great guys.
    Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Morning.

I like the track finish at Abingdon Ollie but that underpass usually feels very cruel. It's not taken long for you to understand that you can't bank time in a marathon and knowing that definitely helps. You're young and new to running so I think your goals are realistic. I wouldn't taper too much for races in your marathon campaign as they aren't target races but a couple of easier days before should see you fresher for them. Do you have a marathon in mind for next year's target?

Glad to be of help emzap image

What:           easy miles
    Why:            knee management
    Last hard:     knowing I need to do less that I'd like
    Last rest:      16/10

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning
    Nice report Ollie, and fwiw I think your goals and targets are achievable.
    Joining a club is definitely a step in the right direction, like minded club mates will be a good asset.
    I'm impressed you can remember any of the detail of Abingdon, its a fast course but wouldn't quite make the "1000 scenic runs in Britain" book!

what - club night
    why - Tuesday
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - Sunday

lyric - yep

• Entertaining report Ollie image

what: possibly rest, maybe badminton

why: need fresh legs for Saturday 

last hard: the chunk of broken amalgam in my mouth yesterday ( and no time to get to the dentist)

last rest: 10 days ago

lyrics: no

Snowdonia likely be more scenic (but may not see further than the next runner if the mist is down)

• Morning!

Great report OL.

Lyrics: a suspicion of the band, but not the song.

What: short easy run this evening

Why: legs need a few days of easy runs

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Ollie ; another entertaining report you never let us downimage

Chick: good going on training#

OH Good luck for saturdayimage

LMH: Good luck with knee watching and runningimage

What: 10.22 miles

Why: Because I could

Last hard: The slow pace

Lyrics: Yes to song and band

My garmin acted up for first mile so the run may not be as slow as the watch said but will record it I was just glad to get 10 back under my belt againimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • (image Managed to get lunchtime appt for dentist today but it is in Stromness 16 miles away)

Thanks WP

Numbers dropping for GO33 the following weekend: originally 6 of us from Orkney heading down but now down to Elspeth and me and one other image

• Yeah - great report and WWW EIBs, Ollie image  made me laugh out loud a couple of times image  I second what LMH said. Especially in P&D the races are meant to be untapered to mimic the final stages of a marathon, i. e. they're supposed to hurt like hell image

Nice 10 miler, poppy.

OH: sorry to hear about your diminished group.

What: spin class and a short run on the treadie afterwards.
    Why: it's what I do on a Tuesday
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest 30/9
    Lyrics: yep - love that song, love that band image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

OL you made me laugh out loud (whilst at my desk...not so good!) that report was fantastic.  Clearly you had too much fun and weren't pushing hard enough :P

What: core and packing
    Why: core: makes me a better runner; packing: off to UK house hunting tomorrow night image
    Last hard: moving preparations, hear new/different/surpring things about my contract every week, but still no contract (7 weeks to go)
    Lyrics: nope

Yesterday's lyrics were Buddy Holly and Everyday

Chick you are doing a good job on this cross training thing.  I'm impressed.
    RFJ owwww please try and stay upright to save your poor hands
    WP are you recovered from your illness last week?

Have a great afternoon all. 

• I hope it all comes together for you emzap. I seem to remember your contract renewal was very last minute last time?

That's a high attrition rate OH - injuries? Hope the dentist can fix your tooth.

Any long term plans chicksta or are you focusing on the here and now at the moment?

Good news Poppy.

Have you decided on a spring marathon Dustin?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

MK seems the likely "racing" one, but I keep getting drawn towards off road , mountain and trail ones....Southampton too offer one the same day as VLM, so in two minds about that.
    Both a bit pricey too (£45)

• I guess that if you want the GFA you need the fast option, you can run one for fun once that's in the bag image

• That's exactly what I was going to say to DustinLMH!

OL: you planning on Manchester again? Unfinished business!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Any long term plans chicksta or are you focusing on the here and now at the moment?

No long term plans - I'm enjoying the variety of work-outs at the moment and love the fact that I don't have to tick off training plan sessions. I may reconsider everything next summer when my gym membership is up for renewal image

em: Hope it all comes together. I didn't know you were going back home.

• Hey. image

Thanks for the responses to the report, always fun to play around with it.
    I think the WWW/EBIs do help cut to the salient points, and I have been re-reading those pointers for the past two marathons.
    The advice is also appreciated, joining a club seems foremost on the list, my plan is to incorporate core strengthening into the next campaign, and alter the taper period to reduce the load further.

To answer AH's and LMH's question: I think Manchester (Spring) and Nottingham (Autumn) will be the two big races for 2017.
    Both familiar races: Manchester being flat and fast, Nottingham being hillier but a favourite of mine.

Have a good day. image
  • Fantastic report. 

Lyrics - of course. Classic. Saw them perform this live in 1993.

What 40 mins with 10x1 min and hideous gym session at 6am.

Last hard - today

Last rest - Fri

• Evening!

What: 20 minutes easy, wearing a head torch for the first time this autumn.

Why: having a couple of easy days

Sounds like sensible targets for 2017 OL! Will discuss tomorrow! (OL and I are meeting up so he can return a couple of books as someone else wants to borrow a couple.)

Splodge: that sounds far too tough!
  • Hi All 

I am running fairly regularly at the moment so may pop in here for awhile.

What:4M AM & 6M PM.
    Why: To get fit again
    Last hard: Everything (I is fat)
    Last rest 16/10

Lyrics: Probably

Ollie - You don't half waffleimage

• Aha Joe, that was just the synopsis.
    Full report coming soon. image

Have a good day. image
  • How many marathons are you up to now Joe? And what's next?
  • Given up on counting somewhere around 130-140 but not sure. Looking at getting back under 3hrs again around the turn of the year.

Got a 6hr event on Friday (circa 35M comfortable effort), Thames Meander early Nov hopefully low 3:20's then a couple of trips to Italy for Florence (on my Birthday) and Pisa in December.

Not looking at going stupid but two/three marathons a month seems to work for me, hopefully be able to maintain focus and try and target a time at Berlin next Sept (If I get through the ballot)

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Love the report Ollie - should be more splits in there imageimageimage again well done,

What - 4.25m steady
    Why - Run every Day in October day 25..
    Last hard - the ground on Sunday
    Last Rest 26 days ago

Take care

• Hi,

Did you do the Pisa marathon in the end? If so, do they have bottled water or cups?
    Thanks
    Steve