Adapting to aero

Today at 7.20 I want out on my new tt bike for the first time by 8 we were on our way to minor injuries do deal with a nasty case of road rash. As soon as I got down on the aero bars I was so twitchy I was weaving and the next second I hit the floor hard. What did I do wrong what should I be doin to get it sorted?

Comments

• Hi Simo,

I remember my first ride on the TT bike was very twitchy and it took time to get used to the feeling and the fact that on the bars you are very close to the centre of the steering column which exaggerates any movements you make on the bars.

Go out on a straight road that is very quiet and practice getting onto and off the bars for a while, I think it took me three or 4 rides to get used to it!

Did you have a bike fit?

Core strength is much more important on a TT too!

• ^ wot he said!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I had a bike fit and on the turbo it felt good.cheers for the advise.
  • You could also try adding some spacers and gradually reducing them over time as your skills and core strength improve 

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Imagine you are talking to a idiot and explain more please?
  • Raise the bars up the stem don't start off with a really aggressive aero position.

also as said before straight flat quiet road to practice (your local supermarket car park after closing is a good one) and this is key ......relax

• Raise the bars up the stem don't start off with a really aggressive aero position.

also as said before straight flat quiet road to practice (your local supermarket car park after closing is a good one) and this is key ......relax

we have all been there it's a totally different feel to a road bike all of a sudden you will get it and before you know it you will be hammering downhills with no problems

• Put some clip on TT bars on your road bike and spend the winter practicing with these. Take your time before getting  on an aggressive TT bike.

• Have you ridden the tt bike without using the tri bars? Baby steps first.
  • Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Raise the bars up the stem don't start off with a really aggressive aero position.

Or, if you can't do that, put spacers under the elbow pads to raise them a bit.  On a TT bike there's a lot more weight over the front wheel, especially if you normally ride your road bike fairly upright (hands on brake hoods rather than drops).  That'll make the bike twitchy - most likely it's a shorter wheelbase than your road bike too, which will just make it worse.  Raising your position helps with that while you get used to the bike.

Like riding any bike, it's just practice.