Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• Well done to all you intrepid Ultra runners, you sure are a different breed!
    Managed 210 miles for july, with some faster stuff mixed in.
    Off to Saundersfoot at the end of the week for a large family holiday so plan to do a bit of plodding along the pembrokeshire coastal path. Good luck to you all in your upcoming races.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    How did you find out that info, brer?  Not on their website.  I think another 25 miles of that sort of running would be more than I can do, but I might be tempted when I see the route!

So, Pen Llyn 75 (or 100) or SNOD Trail ultra? I don't think it would be sensible to do both and I prefer coast footpath running if there is an option.  The Pen Llyn event is raw and elemental and very attractive.   As you say, The LG, the nav is not straightforward at all.  There are no event waymarks except right near the end - you just have to follow Wales Coast Footpath signs many of which are falling into disrepair or have had their direction arrows removed.

That bog section has put me off SNOD Trail and the Moel Hebog area is extremely marshy as well.  

Enjoy your hols, Ralph.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I usually really look forward to the night sections in long events.  I try to get as far as I can while there is still enough light and then have a short break to put on on long-sleeve top and hat and sometimes thin thermal gloves (it's surprising how cold it can get at night, even in summer), get out the headtorch (I prefer the lowest light settings in order to preserve night vision), set the map and with map and compass in constant use, off I go.  I usually stay in shorts unless the weather is really grim.

Your senses seem very much heightened at night.  Sounds seem louder, including the waves crashing at the foot of the cliffs far below, and distant voices which can be actually miles away.  For instance I could hear the music playing at the Ty Coch Inn, Porth Dinllaen, about 5 miles away across the bay almost as loud as it was outside the pub itself.  It was quite comforting since I was all alone.  You're much more aware of your heartbeat and your breathing.

There's always moths circulating around your light, and sometimes bats flitting around.  Owls hoot and scuffling noises come from the undergrowth made by unseen creatures.  And of course sheep and cows with their eyes reflecting bright green.

You have to have your wits about you.  The paths are less easily visible and it is very easy to stray off them and get disorientated.  If the moon is out that is a great help.

The only thing I find disturbing are the occasional inexplicable lights that you see which you can't work out the source (and sometimes follow you, or so it appears).
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    In events one of the best things is the camaraderie you get during the night when runners often fall into unplanned small groups.  You feel a sense of the chase with headtorches approaching from behind and glimpses of the ones ahead.

• Hey LG, thank you so much for your lovely comments and support. It all seemed a bit tougher this year but I have nailed the reasons and put it down to complacency on my part. Hope you are recovering well and will be fighting fit for Snod :)
  • Thanks TRex.  I am going to ask a question...... And it is directed at yourself and Brer Rabbit.

With all your races, and most of them will be at the weekend. Do you find any time for mileage through the week or is all your mileage accumulated through your races?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    It's true that the only time I do 50+ miles in a week is when I do 50+ on a race day!

My training is very light, probably at or below the minimum needed to do well at long distances.  Most of my running is short to medium distances in the hills with my collie, the occasional 17-mile commute to work, and the very occasional paced/tempo training runs on the flat on my own.

It's hard to work out whether this regime makes me less or more prone to injury!
  • Hi Ralph, as most weekends recently have involved back to back marathons or shortish ultras, the rest of the week consists of power walking/jogging 6-8 miles with the dog. However, this has hammered my pace so I am realistic now about finish times and just aim to finish uninjured and alive!
  • Good stuff on the Snowdonia trail marathon guys. Need to give that a go soon!

Training is well under way for the main event in October. Got plenty of races between now and then starting with Brecon 10 this weekend. Need to lose a bit of timber also between now and then!  

I just got back from Saundersfoot Ralph. Coastal paths are brilliant.. In fact I loved it so much that i'm currently sat looking for coastal path races! ha. 
  • TrailRunner-Pen Llyn Ultra for you next year then my friend!! Right, off now for an unplanned marathon this afternoon in Milton Keynes 3pm start. Time to see what damage has been caused by aforementioned ultra!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Well done you, brer.  My left foot is still badly blistered and the thought of running is fairly obscene at the moment!  No other injuries or niggles, though, nor even any DOMS.

TR22 - check out RunWalkCrawl and their Pembrokeshire races.  I'm looking at the 100 myself at the moment ...

All the best with Brecon 10 - a hilly little road race I've done a few times.  Very good running track finish.
  • Thanks brer. I stumbled across some of your monthly mileage data....... oh my word! I am humbled.

Tr22- thanks for the nod on the coastal paths, plan to get out early mornings before the family is up nursing their hangovers!

T Rex- 100 miles/km?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Miles, my friend.
  • Wish you lot all the best, not now running Snod I am running Lanzarote instead in December, Finances dictate one or the other, Snod Rain, wind cold. Lanzarote warmth, cheap wine, sun , oh yeh some wind and did I mention cheap wine.
  • The Pen LLyn ultra looks brilliant brer, although i'm not sure I could manage 75 miles! I was thinking more like 15 - 20 miles! haha.. Good luck with the marathon. 

I'll have a look at the runwalkcrawl series T rex.. Yea did Brecon last year also. Hopefully i'm a bit quicker now!

Yea Ralph that was always my plan to get up early. I actually stayed on Monkstone point between Saundersfoot and Tenby. My morning run was always along the coastal path while everyone was asleep to go and get the bacon and bread rolls!!! 

Theres also the Endurance life - Coastal Trail series. Has anyone ever done any of those? They look interesting. The website certainly looks good anyway!
  • TR22 (a few TRs on here now   ;) ) I did Snowdonia Quater last month which was an Edurance Life event. It was a very well organised event. I will certainly do more of their events.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I've done three EnduranceLife coastal series - Exmoor marathon and ultra, Flete ultra.  Very scenic courses with foolproof waymarking - they even have signs with crosses on showing the paths NOT to take, so very good for people like me.  Some offer camping within the package.  The events are rather pricey and I feel with them a brand is being pushed.  Usually small fields.

Thanks, Moksha8.  Hope you've made the right choice!   jason d on this thread is looking for a place.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The three TRs.  We'll have to meet up ...
  • Marathon done yesterday, very windy and legs protested a bit but finished it in 4.05, 1st lady. A nice short Ultra in Coalport tomorrow :)  I only did one Endurance Life event and found it a bit of a rip off to be truthful.
  • Impressive stuff Brer after you efforts last weekend. Enjoy the trip(s) up and down the river tomorrow. Hoping to do that course again in Nov.
  • Hello all. Checking in. Great to hear about all the races. Been sticking to fell running plan. Latest one was Holme Moss which was a brute of a race. Thigh deep in bog a few times. Got a series of 15-17 mile fell races coming up but switching more onto roads for a bit to try and get some speed built back up. Got the hill climbing sorted but I've really slowed down. Really looking forward to Snod
  • Good luck to those running. Ive wanted to run it for years!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Chaz - get yourself on the website at 0001 New Year's Day for 2018, and keep trying.  We've all got in usually by about 0200.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Not happy...supposed to be doing Port Talbot Half tomorrow, but full of cold!!
    And I still haven't got a place for Snod :(
  •  JD2 Moksheight said they were dropping out of Snod (scroll up on this page about 10 posts ago) might be worth dropping them a message on the off chance. Shouldn't worry there are always loads cropping up on the Snod facebook page as we hit Sept. Mrs LG and I are both suffering the summer cold at the moment so know how you feel!

• jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers, LG. Sent Moksheight a message!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Any additions, changes, or time targets?

Extra runners for the double welcome.  0450 start,  Llanberis High St.  Bring a headtorch.

The Single

• brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner 
    • Chimney
    • Chrissi (tbc)
    • dave turner 5   Sub-4
    • Goldeagle
    • Hobie 1495    Sub-4
    • InsideForward
    • Jimbob987
    • John Bach
    • massive
    • Mc Hilly 
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Poopster
    • Ralph davies   3:40
    • Reydon Rover
    • Run Jono
    • Sir John a Lot
    • Steve Waygood
    • SwimsL1keaWalrus  1st SNOD
    • Tattooedrunner45
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • TrailRunner22

The Double

• T Rex
    • Ultra Disco Stu

Withdrawing 

• becs
    • BritNick
    • Mokshaeight  

Looking for a place

• CSMLFC
    • jasond2

• I have no idea why I just posted a picture of my Dalmatian,I was trying to change my picture!. But now he is on here this is Rapha my running buddy, unfortunately he won't be in Llanberis in October.
    Hope everyone's running is going ok
  • Yea you guys that haven't got a place will get one easily enough I reckon. Keep your eyes peeled. Seen a few places up for grabs on these forums and on the Facebook page. Come the September last year there seemed to be places everywhere up for grabs. 

Hope everyone is training well. Raced a hilly ten miles today and the legs are wrecked!

Nice Dalmatian!! 

T Rex I will only ever run the single! ha. That's tough enough... Hoping for a sub 3.