Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    TR22 - tapering?  I'm glad there's someone normal on this thread.

Here's my taper:

7 Oct  Gower 50
    15 Oct  Ponty Plod 11
    21 Oct Autumn 100
    28 Oct  SNOD
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    T Rex said:

21 Oct Autumn 100

Dare I ask what/where this is TRex?
  • Options
    Haha T Rex... you're mad! Fair play to you though.. Maybe I should get a couple of ultras in beforehand. 
  • Options
    T-Rex, if you have wide-ish feet have a look at inov8 x-claws. Similar to mudclaws but more cushioning. Big lugs on the sole unit

http://fellrunningguide.co.uk/inov-8-x-claw-275-review/
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Thanks, InsideForward - I  do have wide feet and Inov-8 are usually far too narrow.  I'll have a look at these, though.

Hi panad - the Autumn 100 is Centurionrunnings's fourth and final 100-miler of the year.  4x 25-mile out-and-backs along sections of the Ridgeway and Thames Path.  Aiming for 26 hours but we shall see.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I probably won't be doing a lot of running, if any, between then and SNOD.
  • Options
    Great going Trex! To be passing guys over the last few miles must be a  good feeling after being out there all day! To be out on your feet for that length of time is impressive.

Thanks for the kind comments peeps, i also had an exercise stress test last week. They had to put the treadmill up to 13% incline and 10kph to get my heart rate to the required level. That worked! Good training for the climb at Waunfawr.

Well done LG on your slogged out 34 miles, good training.

Good luck with your races TR22, You do race alot, so i take it you are an active club member?
  • Options
    oops, missed latest posts..... rub eyes in disbelief :#:o
  • Options
    I am unable to run this years marathon.  If anyone is interested in purchasing my place ( £34)please drop me a message.  Tomriddington@gmail.com

i believe we have until end Sept to sort transfers and the process is details on the Snowdonia Marathon website.  
  • Options

Sorry to hear that about the issue you had Rd - good news that it would appear nothing untoward. I had an issue leading up to the 2009 Snowdonia marathon - I collapsed at the finish of my village race and was taken away in an ambulance linked up to an ecg machine with an oxygen mask on! I had a hypoglcaemic attack which was down to poor fuelling strategy on my part. Lesson learnt although I made sure I took it easy in that year's Snowdonia by pacing Ru, who used to frequent the RW Snowdonia thread.

Rd, there is a relatively new MAF UK pdcast which I have found interesting (although I wouldn't listen to last week's episode!)

• Options
    Cheers Ralph.. Yea i'm too active for my own good I think! Ha. I get dragged all over the place to races by my other club members. I find it hard to say no! Set a new 10k Pb the weekend so feel like i'm in pretty good shape. Off to Cardiff half next weekend.. Then i'll start calming it down a little... 

Sounds like a nasty experience John.. Good job these races are on the ball with medical staff these days. 
  • Options
    Thanks John. That sounds like a scary experience , i take it you are not diabetic and it was just a one-off blip too? Just goes to show that you can't take your body for granted!

Tried to find the MAF UK podcast??? Have you got a link? I have listened to the podcasts on his own website.
    Hope you are still doing the MAF approach and enjoying it John. When i started doing the faster higher heart rate stuff is when i had my blip!

What's your new 10k pb TR22 please tell? Must well under 40 mins if you are a sub 3 runner.

• Options

Yep, just a one off Ralph - there were circumstances - if it hadn't have been for it being my local race and "just" 12.5k I wouldn't have done it. Lesson learnt re ensuring properly fuelled for any race. Link to the podcast set out below - hopefully it works

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=1282187830

I must admit not religiously following MAF approach - only just started running again - had a break of 4 weeks or so after ditching the orthotics - I was getting a bit of discomfort in my right Achilles so thought best just stick to long walks to get used to not wearing orthotics

• Options
    Well I'm not sure I'm capable of the sub 3 at SNOD... lol although I would absolutely love one... but new pb is 35.39 Ralph. I took around a minute and a half off last years time. So very pleased.  Might look into this MAF business. Sounds interesting.
  • Options
    cheers John, i will check it out.... i do like a bit of MAF. Blimey TR22 you are rapido! Well done on smashing last years time. You are obviously in great shape for an assault on sub 3 for SNOD.
    What's your flat mara pb? I'm so nosy!
  • Options
    lol.. No worries Ralph.. Did London in April in 2.50. Improved a little since then (I think)... I'm just hoping it's not too windy! Hate running in the wind! 

For anyone looking for places i've seen a few crop up today on Facebook. There's plenty out there if you look for them.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    TR22 - go for three hours!  I would say 10 minutes is the max you need to allow for the undulations.  Keep a good, even-paced effort up the final hill and you'll be fine.

What trail runs do you do out of interest?
  • Options
    Cheers T Rex. Certainly going to set off steady. I passed so many people last year on the last hill who had gone too hard. Really looking forward to this years race.

Actually Don't do much Trail running. When I first made this account I used to only run on the Malvern Hills or in the Wyre forest which is local to me. But have 2 kids now and the travelling time to and from these places adds up. Still like to go when I can but I'm on the road much more. Having said that my absolute favourite place to run is Coed-y-Brenin. Done the half a couple of times and did the 10k earlier in the month there.

I've also had the urge to do a Coastal race and just enjoy the views etc rather than banging out a time. The Brecons is another place I need to get to. Hopefully next year!
  • Options
     JB- Managed to listen to the podcast, was more of a dietary discussion than MAF training i thought, but nonetheless still very interesting.

I tried the Low carb high fat thing a few years ago now and did my worst marathon time. My personal view is that it is too extreme, like many Fad diets. I understand the science behind it but you can still fat burn efficiently by just slowing down rather than stuffing yourself full of fat!

Liked the chap being interviewed( Dwain roberts) who apparently is doing the double SNOD so must be familiar to T rex and the others doing that crazy one.

TR22- I too think you have a good chance of going sub 3. From your recent 10k time you have the speed!
  • Options

Have you listened to episode 4 Ralph?

I'd agree with others TR22, based on my experience over the years in trying to go sub 3 I'd say you've got a very good chance

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi trex! I so hope so!! Thanks for the add.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    some speedy people here...
    I'm getting out for 3 hour run in the morning, going to pop a park run in there! Did 2.5 hours last Sunday it was awful... but hilly!!
    Hope all the training is going well
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    btw I know someone who has a place to sell as well if anybody knows anyone needing one
    drop me a message here  if anyone wants the place
  • Options
    Good luck with the long one tomorrow Wabo. Going out myself Sunday morning, probably with a hangover. WIll be glad when it's done!

Cheers John, Ralph. If you never heard from me again after the race it's because I failed in the sub 3 attempt..  :D:D:D
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, I met Duane Roberts last year at about 0515.  I was heading up to Bwlch y groes from Llanberis as he was coming down to finish his first lap - he was attempting the treble.  We stopped for a quick chat about the conditions as if it was the most normal thing ever.

Unfortunately he was not at his best or was carrying some injury and had to pull out of lap two after about four miles and return to Llanberis.  He recovered well enough to then complete the official marathon in 4:15 though!

I also noticed he was one of the few finishers of the recent Ben Nevis ultra (75 miles) which started at Loch Ness and included pathless bogs and river crossings in the Monadhliaths and the Carn Mor Dearg arete route up Ben Nevis.  All to be done with a 19-hour cutoff!  He did it in 18 hours.  Utterly impressive,
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Long run on Saturday was ok, only ok.  Stuck a park run in there for good measure, took it easy!   16 miles done. did a 5k sunday as well, 2 mins faster than the Saturday one.  Sunday was my 267th day of running every day!
    Trailrunner how did your hungover run go?
  • Options
    Ha. Hi Wabo. There were some ugly scenes Sunday morning. Long run was abandoned as I didn't get in till 4am. I still managed to get 13 in though Sunday afternoon and did a 21 today. Got it done in the end!!

Well done on the 267 days of consecutive running! Do you have a target of how many days you would like to get to!?. Most I've managed is about 3weeks!! 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wow tr! 
    Well this year is my 25th year of running so I decided I'd run every day this year plus do a race a month (medal giving).  I do loads of races belonging to a club anyway.  The thing is though that the running every day seems to suit me, the shortest is a mile so I may well continue next year!
    Celebrating my 25th runniversary lol!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I never run on consecutive days, unless I'm still out from the first day!

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    2 miles cross country yesterday, legs felt awful, 4 miles road today - they felt much better.  Stretch stretch stretch!!