Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• JB- didn't/ couldn't listen to episode four, i will re-visit and try again.

Trex- Your ultra running community sounds like a nice place to be..... i suppose you have to be nice to each other cos your out there for so long!!

TR22- Good effort with a hangover, i know a thing or 2 about that!

Hi to Wabo, and well done on your consecutive days of running.

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    T Rex said:
    I never run on consecutive days, unless I'm still out from the first day!

:D 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi panad.  Brutal extreme tri will be 15 Sep, 2018.  Also an extreme duathlon as an alternative alongside it.  There doesn't seem to be a treble option??!
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    I think they do the triple every other year TRex.  They've not done the duathlon in Llanberis before..sounds like an interesting addition to the weekend.
    Are you still thinking of the (single) full triathlon as a family event?
  • I've scrapped any idea of a target finishing time having entered Chester on a whim last night! Is anyone else doing both? Unsure whether to use Chester as a LSR for Snod or go hard and 'enjoy' the Welsh run!

Looking forward to both. Best time of the year to run!
  • CSMLFC- I thought about doing Chester as well. But Snowdon has been the focus of my running this year and i do not want to jeopardize that.

Just depends on your priority, there is enough time to recover. Only you know! Are you chasing a GFA time or something?
  • Cheers Ralph. Yeah 4 minutes off GFA from Manchester in April. Content to let that go until next year so suspect I'll just go with the 3.15 group and see how it goes. Did 3.13 last year so would be good to beat that but the absolutely top priority is completing and enjoying Snowdon! Autumn mara season is definately upon us!
  • Blimey! We must have been running very close to each other at Manchester, i did it in 3.18. So i take it you must be over 40 now as your time at chester would been a GFA time this year.
    We might be running similar pace at SNOD.
  • Under 40.... would be 3.09 at manchester in which case you were miles ahead!! :D:p
  • Haha, yep 32 when I ran Manc which was indeed 3.09! Got 7 years to find 4 minutes which doesn't sound much but can't envisage running any quicker - not this year anyway! Manchester is a great course isn't it, support phenomenal too.

Sorry to spam the Snod thread! Much more excited for that marathon, been on my to do list for a long time now.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Hmm.  Two marathons in 20 days?  That is how the rot starts, until eventually you're doing one every weekend ...

Chester is a PB course and SNOD most certainly isn't!  It depends what you want, really.  I imagine it will be tempting to go fast in Chester instead of holding back and treating it as your last LSR before SNOD.  

You should be able to recover OK.

panad - yes, the plan is to go for the T Rex family team (full distance relay). Youngest has just joined the local tri club which has coached swimming twice a week and open water training in the summer.  I think we will be well up for it by September.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    I'm far slower than you lot! I did 5.13 in 2013 and anything better will be great.  I would like to get a GFA next year in a marathon (under 4.30 for me) as my 60th is next March! How do we reach these ages???
    blooming heck..
    anyway the streak continues and I am happy that I will have company on this weekends long run, going to run for about 3.25 to 3.5 hours
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh and I still know of a place up for sale if anyone knows anybody wanting one???
  • Wabo, my fastest flat mara time is 4.39! I just want to get round SNOD I have been ill for the last couple of weeks so no training...will be happy to make it to the finish!
  • It's just as difficult running a slower marathon, it's all relative to the individual.
    I respect your dedication Wabo and to still be out running approaching 60 is great going.

CSM- I agree, manchester support is the best i have experienced at a marathon. Best of luck if you decide to give your GFA time a shot at Chester. I'm with Trex that Chester is a pb course.  I am thinking about doing the manc half on the 14th October, heart rate data is telling me a pb could be on the cards?
    Again..... is it too close to SNOD?

Hello to MWW.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi MadWelshWoman.  Sorry to hear about an illness - hope it's well cleared up by race day.  If your 4:39 was a recent time I would say sub-5:00 will be on the cards.  Look out for me - my target time is 5:10.

All these crazy October race schedules ...
  • Have a race Number if anyone wants it shame to let it go to waste .
  • I'm also doing Chester as well as SNOD (and Abingdon in between, just because it's local), definitely not going fast at the moment, so I've no time targets, just aiming to have enjoyable days out :-)
  • Don't worry MadWelshWoman I'm in the same boat. Training plan has gone out the window since turning an ankle in a fell race in August. Just hoping to get round, although not feeling too bad now not sure I've done enough training. Be reet!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to up my training.  Eldest son got a 1:44 PB in the Cardiff half marathon today.  On the back of negligible training!  I'd struggle to get down to that time as I am at the moment.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    How did Cardiff go for you, TR22?
  • I've am just recovering from a stress fracture (calcanium) only done 1 run at 20 miles most under 10. 
    Really like this race but don't fancy blowing up and walking a lot of it- entered hoping for a GFA which is <3:15 would have been 4 minutes quicker than 2 years ago so maybe even without injury wasn't going to happen. 
    Anyway anyone want a place ?
  • Trex- Well done to your Eldest son on a 1.44 half.... good going off little training!

My update- Managed 230 miles for September, mainly MAF plods but have started to mix in some faster stuff.
    My MAF pace seems to be around 7. 30- 7.40 min/mile.

Did 20 miler yesterday that averaged 7.49 pace and it felt comfortable so am very happy with that.

Hope everyone's training is going well..... not long now!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi all
    those trying to sell their places, I may be wrong, but think it's only till 30/9 you can do this??
    mww hi and I hope you will be fine! My fastest flat was 4.11, 2013 I think.
    Ralph wow! brilliant.

I did a mega hilly off road run yesterday, was on my feet for 3 hours, 15 miles
    TREX, I might look out for you - 5.13 was my SNOD time in 2013
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ps Ralph, I intend to keep going a lot longer.....
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm aiming for 2 x 5:10 with 30 minutes recovery, so company on the second lap would be very helpful, Wabo.

I should be OK self-supported on the first lap but if anyone is in Beddgelert about 0730 it would be good to see you.

Stu - you still up for this??

Nearly time for my patented SNOD pacing charts for different finish times.  Watch this space.
  • massivemassive ✭✭✭
    Look forward to that pacing chart T Rex - hoping to go slightly quicker this year. Training is going well! 
    Always in awe of you guys and your 'crazy' pre-Snod race schedule!
  • Happy to provide your refreshments in Beddgelert again this year TR. Let me know what you (and Stu if he is joining you) would like on this year's menu! 

• T Rex said:
    I'm aiming for 2 x 5:10 with 30 minutes recovery, so company on the second lap would be very helpful, Wabo.

You Make it sound like an efforts session T Rex... lol. Cardiff went well thanks. 1.18.30 I finished up with which is over 4 minutes off my time from last year. So pretty happy! 1.44 is a pretty decent time off little training. He must be chuffed with that!

Yea Wabo, Fairly sure the official deadline for transfers was the last day of September.

Good work on the long run Ralph. That's a decent pace..Got one planned for this week at some point.. Not sure when though! Have to fit it in around work etc...
  • Great going Wabo. A 3hr 15 hilly effort sounds like a very appropriate long training run for SNOD, i fear that i have not done enough or any proper hill training, they just don't exist where i live.

I am too looking forward to your pacing charts trex , although i think i have a good idea about my planned pace.

Hi to massive.

LG- do you provide refreshments for all the runners on this forum? :)

TR22- Amazing half marathon time, that's 6 min mile pace i do believe! Awesome! Your looking strong for a sub 3.