Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• Sorry to hear you have been under the weather Brer. Must have been bad to stop you racing. Sure you have more than enough miles in the bank for the 10 in 10. Look forward to hearing your report.

Panic over found missing marathon! So Sunday is 82nd after all. Lesson here is keep on top of your spread sheet!  No plans for 100th but will probably be in 2018 at the rate I am going.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The LG - don't listen to brer - I was timed out of Pen Llyn Ultra this year, along with more than half the field!

I'm going to try to avoid that happening in 2017, not sure how though at this present moment in time.  Might have to do some training.

My tally stands at the moment:

• Marathons: road 46
    • Marathons: off road 12
    • Ultras: road 20
    • Ultras: off-road 34

Total  112

I only clock up a relatively modest 10 or so per year.

• Sorry to hear about the illness brer - must have been serious for you to miss a marathon - hope you are better for this weekend! A clubmate has got the marathon bug now - I think he has racked up 26 (so far) this year (50 in total) - it seems to be an addiction for him - don't suppose you guys have come across him (he ain't shy!) - Jon Evans - usually wears his club vest (North Wales Road Runners). Before I met him to say he was a bit overweight would be a bit of an understatement - the transformation since he took up this running lark is amazing.I've total admiration for him/his commitment - although I think he's nuts!!

My daughter has got more into her football this year - no more events for me now, so just the 5 events for me this year, although that included the Trail marathon Wales (got to be the best trail marathon in the UK) and, of course, Snowdonia!! 

• Don't worry TR I have absolutely no plans to tackle the PL ultra and, arguably, the toughest marathon on the calendar in the same week. I will leave such feats to you two!

Good tally TR. Only seems like yesterday that you clocked up your 100th. 10 a year is about my max. I think that level is tolerated by Mrs LG and by the bank balance!

I will keep a look out for your club mate JB. It does get under your skin this marathon collecting lark. Did miss doing the TMW this year and toying with the idea doing it next year if I can face the 3+ hour drive home afterwards. 

• Last year was the 1st time I did the full - I'd entered it before but felt I needed to drop down to the half de to the lack of training! This year I was determined to do the full despite not being able to do the training - a decision I questioned quite a few times in the 2nd half of the event this year!! I've entered the full again - determined to give it a good crack this time!! All the Coed-y-Brenin trail events are excellent - put on by a top team there who really care about the event/the runners! Thankfully it isn't 3hours+ away for me - it's probably only 40 minutes away

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

My brother says he will be at SNOD 17.  After the Cornish marathon which he is doing on Sunday his tally will be 90.  He's a bit of a purist -  they are all road marathons.

I'm a bit dismayed about my current performance on road so I am going to concentrate on that in the first half of 2017, with a half, a 20, a marathon, and a 39.3, all road and spaced sensibly apart to see if I can get some half decent times. The main target will be a PB attempt at the 39.3.

The LG - yes, SNOD trail marathon is the hardest I have done by a considerable margin. And the PL ultra defeated me last year ...

• How did Broadway go LG? I rocked on to Kirkstall marathon, holy hellomundo it was cold and muddy! Job done, on to Kent on Thursday for 10 in 10..and then I lie down for a long time image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, until the following weekend, anyway ...

• Glad you are race fit again Brer. Broadway was muddy, cold and wet but still a stunning route. Took it steady and just enjoyed the last race of the year.

Good luck for the 10 in 10 Brer. Is it the same course each day? 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Disaster!  SNOD Trail marathon entries closed.  I've enquired to see if there is a waiting list, or I suppose I could enter the measly half marathon ...

• Thought you had signed up already TR? That has filled up really fast this year. I am sure there will be places popping up on their facebook page as we get closer to July. Can't imagine you settling for the half!

• TR, I thought we had a date, you'll just have to settle for the ultra thenimage

All packed for the 10 in 10...thud...what am I doing?!!!

Different routes around Kent coast but all within about an hour of each other. Really hope weather is better down there now as wind on that coast can be unremitting without the help of a hurricane! 

• Good luck Brer. That is some challenge. Look forward to hearing all about it.

• John Bach wrote (see)

Sorry to hear about the illness brer - must have been serious for you to miss a marathon - hope you are better for this weekend! A clubmate has got the marathon bug now - I think he has racked up 26 (so far) this year (50 in total) - it seems to be an addiction for him - don't suppose you guys have come across him (he ain't shy!) - Jon Evans - usually wears his club vest (North Wales Road Runners). Before I met him to say he was a bit overweight would be a bit of an understatement - the transformation since he took up this running lark is amazing.I've total admiration for him/his commitment - although I think he's nuts!!

My daughter has got more into her football this year - no more events for me now, so just the 5 events for me this year, although that included the Trail marathon Wales (got to be the best trail marathon in the UK) and, of course, Snowdonia!! 

Hi JB, I think I ran with Jon Evans at Chester this year. I am sure he was pacing the 4.15 group? If it was him then he was a top bloke who kept me going at the end to get in just under time. 

• That'll be him Jimbob - I know he paced there. He was the 2hr pacer in Sunday's Conwy half- brought them in just under the 2hr mark - quite a fete given it ain't a flat half! He's now up to his 28th marathon for 2016, having run in Phoenix marathon in Surrey the day before Conwy! The bloke is nuts!

• Yep, sounds like him. I ran with him all of the way round & I remember listing all the races he had run in 2016 & the amount sounded bonkers then.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I could always do the double half at SNOD trail mara. 

Seriously though, I think I'll wait until May or June and try to pick up a place.

I'll be in the area for any meeting up, LG and brer.

brer- take care with this ridiculous adventure of yours. image  10 in 10 is a very serious undertaking. I take my hat off.

• Snodders, done day 2 of 10 in 10. Yesterday, brutal winds but managed 4.07. Today, slightly less windy, steady 4.03. Report soon when I am lucid.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Keep going, brer.  image   Are you eating plenty of cake?

• Day 3 done, brutal wind again but stayed dry for the duration of my 4hrs 16 mins. Eating plenty of cake, chocolate, bread, porridge, potato and beer! I may actually weigh about 5 stone more by the end! Lusting for a really good quality roast with all the veg but know it would backfire on the digestive system. Ok, number 4 tomorrow...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Remember we don't want to see any selfies of you saying how broken you are and you don't know how you are going to carry on.

• Well done Brer. Keep up the good work.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Day 4.  How did it go, brer?

• Sorry, internet failure yesterday. Day 4 4.03, today 4.02. Just keep thinking a day at a time. Got a hole in my trainers and my knees are crocked from all the concrete surfaces but tomorrow is day 6 and the I will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Truly shattered but the camaraderie is keeping me going and the cottage we are staying in is lovelyimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Very consistent!  image   I noticed a lot of sea walls and promenades, etc.  No chance of running on the beach?

• WOW! That is incredible pacing Brer. Think I would be crawling them by now! You must be close to winning a few of these? 

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Cracking pacing Brer! Hope today and the rest of the week goes well!
  • and to think she refers to that pace as 'bimbling'!! Fair play, Brer, you're amazing. Bonkers, but amazing!

• Number 6 done! 27.1 miles in 4.13...didn't realise this course was advertised as over distance. Oh well, tis done! LG, won a couple! Next stop, Ramsgate then Folkestone for more concreteimage

• Well done Brer, thought you would have been first home a few timesimage That's a cruel trick after 5 marathons to stick an extra mile on number 6! Good luck with number 7