Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. Looking forward to meeting up and seeing everyone again. 
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Hi Chimney

I suppose Maf is just a "trendy" way of saying lots of easy, slow miles!

Did my first jog today post manchester. Legs feel almost recovered. Just feel like i am fighting of a cold.

Official Snowdon build up starts on Monday. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    In readiness for my next event 2 x 17-mile run commute yesterday.  Left at 1600 and got home just after 0300 Saturday morning.

Although the canal towing path is reasonably smooth it's amazing what imaginary objects you trip over in the dark when you're tired.  Unexpectedly cold and foggy.  Great fun, though.  I recommend night running.
  • Fair play to you TR. Sounds like the training is going well. I managed a slow 18 miles on Friday and hope to coax something a little faster from my reluctant legs over a similar distance this Friday. 
  • Blimey TRex. I thought my 2x 10k run commute was far enough, i now feel significantly inferior!

I run down the canal towpath on a very regular basis it's amazing what you see. They are really busy round the trafford area and throw up all sorts of odd people!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I don't often do both ways!  I usually get the train home.

For the full story about the time I thought I'd run home over the mountain instead, got badly lost, was obliged to swim across the canal, and finally tottered home at 0700 with bits of pond weed stuck in my hair, you will have to wait for the book.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all. My lack of running anything further than 7 miles for many months really told yesterday. Sheffield half in scorching heat managed 1:54. Body gave up at 8.5m and it was attritional from there. 
    In the last 400m saw 5 people collapsed with various medical staff around them. All looked like heat stroke/dehydration. Heard of quite a few others in the same way over the last few miles. Think the weather caught a lot of people out who had trained in minus and single figures. 

If it's good enough for a Brownlee.......

My commute is 1.8 miles. I'd have to go the really long way round.......
  • Well done Chimney. It was unseasonably warm yesterday so not surprised that a few suffered.

TR, you must think that an uneventful run is something that just happens to other people! My commute is only 1.3 miles but there is a canal to cross!! 

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Hi all! Can those of us who are only running the half on the day join in on this thread as well? 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Half??!  Didn't know there was a half ....  You might have got the wrong marathon, Faya?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Chimney - that wasn't a bad time.  You'd normally only go up to 10-11 miles in training for a half, anyway.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The Single

• becs
    • brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner 
    • Chimney
    • Chrissi (tbc)
    • Goldeagle
    • Hobie 1495    Sub-4
    • InsideForward
    • Jimbob987
    • massive
    • Mc Hilly 
    • Mokshaeight  3:57
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Ralph davies   3:40
    • Reydon Rover
    • Run Jono
    • Sir John a Lot
    • Steve Waygood
    • SwimsL1keaWalrus  1st SNOD
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • TrailRunner22
    • Ultra Disco Stu

The Double

• BritNick
    • T Rex
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Are you thinking of the snowdonia trail marathon (and half) maya? Plenty of people on here are doing those as well, so make yourselfat home.  Just don't listen to any of the crazy training that goes on!
  • Chimney said:
    Afternoon all. My lack of running anything further than 7 miles for many months really told yesterday. Sheffield half in scorching heat managed 1:54. Body gave up at 8.5m and it was attritional from there. 
    In the last 400m saw 5 people collapsed with various medical staff around them. All looked like heat stroke/dehydration. Heard of quite a few others in the same way over the last few miles. Think the weather caught a lot of people out who had trained in minus and single figures. 

If it's good enough for a Brownlee.......

My commute is 1.8 miles. I'd have to go the really long way round.......
    Well done chimney!! It was utterly brutal yesterday wasn't it. managed 1:43 which was much slower than planned. Did a 1:37 HM two weeks ago and that was intended as a sharpener for Sheffield but ended up slower. After 6 miles I gave up trying and have been rewarded with serious vest shaped sunburn. Never seen so many people walking and others collapsed by the road, even people crawling on the tarmac. Back to some fell running for a bit. 
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Panad, yup, I am thinking of the trail half and full. Darn Snowdon with all its awesome races! I did the trail half last year with my buddy and we enjoyed it so much, even with all the rain and cloud and terrible weather, that we're doing it again this year! Actually, I think the rain and cloud made it more fun. 
  • Faya, it wouldn't be the same without a bit of weather! There are a few of us doing the Snowdonia Trail marathon so stick around.

Well done IF, it sounds like tough day out in Sheffield for all concerned.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, we could post on here for SNOD trail marathon as well, can't we?  This is the event on July 23:

Half
    • Faya

Full

• brer rabbit
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • T Rex

Double?!
  • Double!!! Go on Rex I dare you!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    No Trail mara for me. Friends wedding, might get in trouble if I missed it. I'll miss International as well. Really enjoyed that last year.
    IF, fells are the way to go. Got any plans for the local races? Good training for SNOD's hills.
    I really should get back to running from the Pavilion with the club on to the moors. 
    BTW, recently got on Strava. Found UDS on there, and Brer, (shh, stalking them....). Anyone got any thoughts on whether the premium is worth it? 
  • Hi guys, back for my hat trick attempt this year. Had the misfortune  to lose my job in March so im well ahead on last years mileage!!  Up to 15 miles  once a week, which is the maximum  i ran in training roughly last year , and boy did i know about it.  I foolishly thought that distance up,over  and around The Malverns would suffice.  Plan to add a mile and a half a  month  till September and do my best to beat the elusive 4hr..   4hr 2015 4.02hr 2016...  GL
  • Hi chimney, current plans are the three Totley races but not the Exterminator because accidentally booked a short break and will be away on that day. Also entered the Yorkshireman off road HM in September which is actually 15m not a HM. Maybe one of the Bradwell tours in August, short or long version. Most of my training is going to be directly from where I live - live right next to the Round Sheffield walk route so easy access to lots of trails. Moss Valley is another good place and seems to be overlooked by a lot of runners. Lots of fairly technical terrain underfoot and some steady grinding climbs so will head out there quite a bit too.
  • Hiya fellow Snodders, returned from my 199 marathon /ultra in Kielder...absolutely stunning. Brilliant to see Chimney back on board and very nice to see some new names to chat to over the next few months.  
    Trex, if you are suggesting a Snowdon Trail marathon double- I could really like the look of that but the 2nd one after the first with headtorch..wow!
    Number 200 is on Saturday for me, cant quite believe I have done this but 100 Marathon Club have confirmed my spreadsheet..so it seems I really have done it! Thud!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi dave t.  Sorry about the job.  Hope something else is turning up?  I shall be doing all those things in the Malvern Hills ultra on 6 May.  See you there?

brer -nearly there ...   :)
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Brer! 
  • Sorry to hear about your job DT5. Fingers crossed things work out for you.

Good luck today Brer. Hope you enjoy the race and sewing the 200 patch on your vest tonight! Expect no.300  won't be too long away. 

• stilldreamingstilldreaming ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ages since I've been on here and not liking the new layout ... when did that happen??   Am sadly giving Snod a miss this year and have entered the Yorkshire marathon (for no other reason than that I was born in York and it seemed like a good idea at the time!), but I doubt the scenery and weather will be as inspiring ;)  

Have signed up to (whispers!) Trail Running mag's 1000 mile challenge this year, so trying to do a lot more of my running off-road.  Loved the recent Monsal Trail half at Bakewell and have entered Wharfedale half ... and, most likely, will be doing the Yorkie half again in September.  Much prefer off-road running these days - only really do the road races that are in our Club's summer series.

Will be thinking of you today Brer!  Looks like you've got a good day for No. 200 .... dry, cool and sunny here, so hope all goes well for you!  Will look forward to reading your report!

TRex - I remember reading about your "lost on a mountain/canal hopping" runs!  Infact, one of the reasons I've logged back today was to see what crazy pursuits everyone's been up to!

Onwards and upwards! #agtfsnod17

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm always excited when it says that the most recent post on this thread was from Fellrunner but it never turns out to be the case. 

Sorry not to see you this year, SD, but there'll always be another year.  All the best for your Yorkshire events.

I've been rather boring, mainly doing road running training this year so far. Unplanned hardships and problems only seem to happen to me on off road runs.  I'm doing two events this year with live trackers so that could provide a source of amusement!