Options

Brussels sprouts are back in season

Some deluded souls don't like them. Apparently it's genetic, which sounds to me like "it's not my fault, I can't help it".

Whole tray of the little beasties roasting as I type ... lovely.

I think tomorrow's run is going to be, erm, assisted.

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Parp.

Every year I go on about how much I love them...but I only eat them on one day of the year when pissed.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've always liked them so long as they're not as big as small cabbages.

🙂

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Mmmmm ... they were lovely. Slightly crispy and scorched on the outside, like butter on the inside. Almost as good as stir-fried with some bacon and sour cream.

Parptastic image

• Options

They are great raw. I go through lbs of them like that. Hate them cooked though!

If you are looking for a fun experience, eat half a dozen raw sprouts and then have a can of ice cold coke!!

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Tasty little devils. I think it's the slight bitter taste that puts people off. That said I'm increasingly stumbling over people with the most absurdly fussy eating habits and limited taste palettes. With a greater choice of food and flavours available than ever before it's a pain in the arse providing for people who can't cope with hardly any of it. And incidentally, the in-law whose decided they're intolerant to gluten, lactose and wheat, but apparently fine with pizza, biscuits and ice cream, you're a tit.
  • Options

mmm... sprouts!

Sprouts are for life not just for Christmas. Love the little green balls of delight - the whole year round...

Have never thought to try them raw though Jason, might just try that - I do love them al dente.

• Options

I don't like them raw but am partial to them shredded up and cooked into stir fries and corned beef hash.

• Options

I was always led to believe that to get the best taste they had to have been through a frost ?

Muttley wrote (see)

Mmmmm ... they were lovely.

Did you source some from a secret frost laden location Mutley ?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And incidentally, the in-law whose decided they're intolerant to gluten, lactose and wheat, but apparently fine with pizza, biscuits and ice cream, you're a tit.

Classic!

🙂

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

And incidentally, the in-law whose decided they're intolerant to gluten, lactose and wheat, but apparently fine with pizza, biscuits and ice cream, you're a tit.

Classic!

Yup, and that is why people who genuinely need to have a GF or other restricted diet find it so hard when eating out. "Oh, it's only got a few breadcrumbs on top....."

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Booo wrote (see)

I was always led to believe that to get the best taste they had to have been through a frost ?

Muttley wrote (see)

Mmmmm ... they were lovely.

Did you source some from a secret frost laden location Mutley ?

I don't recall where they were from. Probably not frosted because although they were very nice they could have been more, erm, sprouty. But as winter draws in they can only get more delicious.

• Options

So just au naturel in the oven- how long and how high?

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I gave them a couple of minutes in the microwave to soften them up, then into the oven at about 190-200 deg for half an hour. Depends on how scorched and crispy you want the outer leaves.

• Options
    ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

There is no greater oral pleasure than a sprout, chestnut stuffing & gravy sammich......mmmmm.

• Options

it's only got a few breadcrumbs on top.