Day Licences / Insurance

Hi All

Am hoping to pick some brains from those of you who are BTF refs / rules experts

If a BTF affiliated tri club runs an event which is predominantly for club members only who pay a nominal fee to cover costs but is open to guests too what is the situation with regard to "day licence" type things and insurance for the guests......? Looking at small events of 30 - 40 competitors only

Can the club charge the guests a higher fee which would count as a day licence in terms of insurance?

If it can, does the club then have to pay all / a percentage of that to the BTF?

If the event is run as a club race training session rather than an event run for profit is there an insurance issue for guests?

Sorry if this isn't very clear but any illumination would be great

thanks
xx

Comments

• I;m not sure of this but I thought that to need a day liscence you would need to actually run it under the BTF regulations.which means you would have to complete all the risk assessments and fufill all the criteria to get ot checked off and sanctioned and therefore covered by the insurance....

otherwise you could run it under a different insuance arrangement with a third party insurer.....

easier just to keep it as a club training session with no entry fees......

• phone BTF and ask them.... they're very approachable.

I know that the rules were changed again this year to allow club events to also include non members again, after it was previously stopped by removal of insurance cover... but under what terms the cover is or isn't in place I'm afraid, I have no idea...

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Hi Podds - my local tri club runs a DIY half day which is open to club members only and is a training day, not a race.  Rough timing is available via stop watches but there are no mats, no numbers, no prizes and it's self supported.  The charge for this is the lake entry fee only (we pay £4 a visit to use a particular lake).  Non-members would need to fill out a day membership to the club and pay a fee of £1 to be members for the day.  This is for insurance purposes.

If you're running a race, not a training day, then you are looking at something completely different.

I know I'm not FB who is a BTF official (the forumite as opposed to the social media site) but I've been involved with both and I'm happy to discuss it with you if you want to message me.

• hi Podds

simply - unless the event/race has a BTF permit (which as pointed out needs a risk assessment etc completed in advance) then you can't charge for a day licence and expect BTF insurance cover.  no permit - no insurance.

likewise any BTF member competing in a non-BTF permitted event is not covered by their BTF membership so needs to rely on that supplied by the organiser - whether they charge or not is down to them (but they can't sell it as a "BTF day licence" as they have no authority to do so - but many do much to the BTF's dislike).

so - the club has essentially 3 options

1. follow what Mouse suggests which is easiest and works and is least hassle

2. create it as a race and apply for a BTF permit

3. create it as a race and organise separate appropriate insurance.

personally I'd go with 1 as calling it a "race" opens you up to a whole set of insurance issues and could even invalidate a person's private insurance.

but as MC says, you can check fully with the BTF via a phone call who may be also be able to suggest an alternative plan that will work.

• Thanks Mouse and FB image

I think the first route seems best definitely

Our club is undergoing some upheaval and looking at new ways of doing things which should benefit all

This is a year long series of duathlons held in a local country park with a dedicated bike circuit which we hire and is closed to the public for the duration of the events

If any other queries crop up I'll take you up on the email offer thanks Mouse

• Podds there is a lot of info for Race Organisers on the BTF website (or there used to be!) which might be worth a look.

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!